Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

He's been back fit a while now. Isn't it strange that he doesn't even make the bench with Korey injured.

For me that Stoke second half home performance was one of the best individual performances I've seen from a City player all season.

If we don't go up then will he be involved a lot more next season. We have been linked with a couple of midfielders, so we could well be bringing one in which might mean even less game time for him. Maybe a loan to championship or league one?

I think he may be a late developer being so small, a bit like Bobby was. But for me Walsh is clearly a very talented footballer who should turn out to be very good business for the club. I hope he is as I love watching that kind of player in our midfield.

Edited by JonDolman
  • Like 8

It's a bit disappointing because I think he's got a lot of potential too, but it just goes to show that our squad is too big really.  We've got about 25 players capable of playing in the first team and while there's always gonna be a few injuries, it's just not possible to fit everyone on the team sheet.

Walsh is still in the "one for the future" drawer and typically those guys are limited to one or 2 slots on the bench at most.

This is why we could do with a trim in the summer imo. 

• Like 1

I agree that he had a good second half against Stoke, but does one swallow make a summer, as they say? The  loan option to a League 1 club is most likely, though I haven't much hope that he'll make it at City.

• Sad 1

If I was Walsh I wouldn't want to be going to League 1 just to get some game time, he is surely too good for that. He was superb against Stoke and has shown glimpses of being a very, very good player. I feel a bit sorry for him, but it just shows how far we have come the last couple of years.

• Like 1

Liam hasn't really impressed me much so far.  He's been OK when he has played, but not really good enough to get into the current team which is playing very well.  Maybe he just needs a run of games, but he hasn't played much football in the last couple of seasons.

That said, I have no problems with him playing if injuries or suspensions dictate, but not good enough for first choice at this stage.

Maybe will need to go out on loan for a bit next year as he's bound to be rusty.

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I agree that he had a good second half against Stoke, but does one swallow make a summer, as they say? The  loan option to a League 1 club is most likely, though I haven't much hope that he'll make it at City.

I think he will make it because he just looks naturally too talented imo, plus he seems to have the mentality to work hard and improve his game.

His first touch and passing range with either foot is superb. Against Stoke he was beating players in tight spaces and he can strike a ball well with either foot too. I like his aggression, just lacks the strength at the moment.

I wonder if we were to play that 4222 more often, could Walsh play as one of the attacking two? With two powerful holding players behind him maybe his lack of height and strength won't be such a problem.

42 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think he will make it because he just looks naturally too talented imo, plus he seems to have the mentality to work hard and improve his game.

His first touch and passing range with either foot is superb. Against Stoke he was beating players in tight spaces and he can strike a ball well with either foot too. I like his aggression, just lacks the strength at the moment.

I wonder if we were to play that 4222 more often, could Walsh play as one of the attacking two? With two powerful holding players behind him maybe his lack of height and strength won't be such a problem.

Do you mean in one of the two wide(r) midfield slots?

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

You're not kidding. Saw one today near Nailsea and it was bleedin' freezing this morning

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Do you mean in one of the two wide(r) midfield slots?

Yes, like the Eliasson or Brownhill roles on Tuesday. Wide but coming central a lot behind the forwards. Thinking back to last season Walsh was very good second half in our 1-0 loss to Norwich before being brought off. He was wide left after half time and played very well, having struggled first half in a deeper role.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Is he actually fit again? I haven’t seen that mentioned anywhere?

I was going to ask this. A few games ago he was running with Pisano across the pitch again and again as the others were warming up. Then he didn’t do this for a couple of games but was there again on Tuesday, alone this time. Just running across the pitch.

When he was injured he was meant to be back the time time as Korey, February. It was late March before Korey came back wasn’t it. Walsh hasn’t been back has he? I think he must have almost recovered from injury and regaining fitness but broke down again, and now he’s only back to building up fitness?

Made a similar comment about Eliasson. Not up to much when he joined but eventually became a real top player in the first team. I Imagine Walsh will follow suite. Hope so anyway. 

• Like 3

A VERY talented player. Don't forget that we paid £1M to prize him away from Everton and although that's a relatively small amount by football standards its still a considerable amount of investment that the club will wish to utilise. I think that in time he will prove a shrewd investment.

My thoughts are he has to work on the defensive side of his game as I believe LJ alluded to after Reading's winner at the Mad Stad.

The formation we're playing at the moment should benefit his as it does Kasey Palmer.

• Like 1

I really like Walsh.  Very few players with the vision and ability to find a player like him, even though we have only seen that I'm glimpses.  

I think Walsh and Morrell could be our Xavi and Iniesta for years to come.

• Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I was going to ask this. A few games ago he was running with Pisano across the pitch again and again as the others were warming up. Then he didn’t do this for a couple of games but was there again on Tuesday, alone this time. Just running across the pitch.

When he was injured he was meant to be back the time time as Korey, February. It was late March before Korey came back wasn’t it. Walsh hasn’t been back has he? I think he must have almost recovered from injury and regaining fitness but broke down again, and now he’s only back to building up fitness?

Gregor McGregor:Watched him play for the U23s a little while ago. Looked not far from fitness then, if not there. Tough even to make the matchday 18 currently.

17 minutes ago, Swede said:

A VERY talented player. Don't forget that we paid £1M to prize him away from Everton and although that's a relatively small amount by football standards its still a considerable amount of investment that the club will wish to utilise. I think that in time he will prove a shrewd investment.

My thoughts are he has to work on the defensive side of his game as I believe LJ alluded to after Reading's winner at the Mad Stad.

The formation we're playing at the moment should benefit his as it does Kasey Palmer.

Depending on who goes this summer of course but he’s not even close to the first team at the moment,is it something like 25 games in 3 years I read somewhere and unlikely to get much more unless he goes out on loan

4 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

I really like Walsh.  Very few players with the vision and ability to find a player like him, even though we have only seen that I'm glimpses.  

I think you are on the crack cocaine 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I think you are on the crack cocaine 

Probably a slight (!!) exaggeration, but these two could really be something if they continue to develop and are given the chance.

I assume he is our replacement for Pack for whenever pack is either unavailable or sold. He isn't quite as good as Pack and Pack isn't really the type of player you substitute in any situation unless injured (and as pack is made of hyper strength steal it doesn't really happen) so I think he is probably a bit closer to first team football than we realise he just doesn't get the bench time of someone who can change tactics. 

8 hours ago, RedSkin said:

I thought I was keen on these two :clapping:

I think our success has, along with badly timed injuries, meant they haven't got the games they may have done. Walsh looked set for a run before injury, and although Morrell looked good when he played, we have never been in a comfortable position to risk playing someone that raw. That and JB and MP have always found the energy for another game.
I've said a few times, Walsh plays with his head up, always looks for a forward pass, bit like Palmer, but looks happier slightly deeper. 
I'm surprised a L1 club hasn't given Morrell a chance, still we win all our games now on in , and they could get a run for the Millwall and Hull games :whistle:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pongo88 said:

, but does one swallow make a summer, as they say?

No, but it makes one hell of a night if she's game!

Back to the topic at hand, I'd like to see more of Walsh, but you can't really argue with what the picked squad is doing at the moment.

6 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

i think he will be on the bench today. 

Looks like he’s in the squad, with the players arriving at Villa Park. 

Little doubt about Walsh's quality imo., and he's is the sort of unusually skilful player I like to watch.

Hope he gets an extended opportunity to show his worth at AG - if not I'm sure he'll make it at Championship level elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Wow. Considering he hasn't played much, how many amazing passes here...

He can pass with both feet and on the run and has a very good range off passing. He’s going to be a real player giving a good run off games 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ashton98 said:

He can pass with both feet and on the run and has a very good range off passing. He’s going to be a real player giving a good run off games 

I think LJ wants Walsh to learn to play in a 2. But for now I don't see why he cant play in a 3. Especially at home where he can so happily take the ball in tight spaces and still move it forward.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Wow. Considering he hasn't played much, how many amazing passes here...

Interesting montage. 

One thing that strikes me about the current squad is their comfort on the ball, bringing it under control quickly with rapid passing and movement.

I don’t ever recall having a City team so technically good .

The intelligence to adapt to different formations is also impressive.

• Like 2

I'd have him in a central 3 when fit and firing- question is how can we justify changing a solid or successful shape.

Definitely good enough though IMO. Is he fully fit- could they be looking to save him a bit for a proper pre-season after injuries to hit the ground running next year?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Adapted from Wikipedia Due to his short stature, Walsh has a lower centre of gravity than taller players, which gives him greater agility, allowing him to change direction more quickly and evade opposing tackles; his has led the English media to dub him "The Atomic Flea"

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Adapted from Wikipedia Due to his short stature, Walsh has a lower centre of gravity than taller players, which gives him greater agility, allowing him to change direction more quickly and evade opposing tackles; his has led the English media to dub him "The Atomic Flea"

:rofl2br:

We all knew this now , didn’t we ?

The huge media coverage given to Walsh makes us instantly refer to him as the «  Atomic Flea «  ! 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tommy_b said:

I imagine that’s him back out of the squad for a spell now...

There's a few in front of him that should go on that display. I thought he did ok and his passing was good as well.

• Like 3

Thought Walsh was excellent second half. Defensively looked fine too, though I guess a game we are going for it suits him. He's our best passer of the ball for sure.

Just now, JonDolman said:

Thought Walsh was excellent second half. Defensively looked fine too, though I guess a game we are going for it suits him. He's our best passer of the ball for sure.

Thought he was absolutely poor

• Like 2

Sat opposite the dugout, it was noticeable that LJ “played” the lads that Walsh should’ve played a number of times. As in mimed it himself with his foot when turning back and discussing with backroom team  

Maybe it was the only when Walsh misplaced a pass I noticed Johnson doing it? He was certainly frustrated (ball boy delays etc). 

Today showed why he's still miles off being a starter for us, think it's time to cut our losses and move him on in the summer

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Aubergine 1