Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

3 minutes ago, dereks no1 said:

Some people on this thread are hilarious. Came on and moved the ball well, had a decent long ranged shot first half, few nice crosses and did a job defensively. Was he a amazing? No. But what do you expect from someone who hasn’t played in months and hasn’t had a run of games in a city shirt. 

The kid clearly has ability just needs some experience at this level. 

Agree. Thought he was a bit rusty first half. But was better in second and was a tidy performance. Certainly not sure how that is a bad performance. He moves the ball quickly with either foot. Didn't lose it much, and did his defensive duties well.

• Like 5

Agreed, considering he hasn't played much I thought he had a great game. He tried to inject some pace and width into the game with first time balls to get us on the front foot, much of our good attacking play went through him. The thing I like about him is he's constantly surveying the game and often knows his pass before the ball has arrived at him. Once others get used to playing with him (and if he can stay fit)  I can see him becoming our most valuable midfielder moving forwards, especially if we remain in this division.

• Like 2

Dodgy start looked nervous.

One of the few players who can open things up.....thought he controlled our possession second half.

38 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

We too.

It was almost as if he didn't know what his role was today.

Still, I would drop Pack and start Walsh. Pack needs to be upgraded this summer. Not good enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Aubergine 1

I like pack , very poor today passing over hit every ball , expecting people to run into it but no one on same wavelength, 

everyother pass is a no look pass 👀 

keep it simple.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, tommy_b said:

Sat opposite the dugout, it was noticeable that LJ “played” the lads that Walsh should’ve played a number of times. As in mimed it himself with his foot when turning back and discussing with backroom team  

Maybe it was the only when Walsh misplaced a pass I noticed Johnson doing it? He was certainly frustrated (ball boy delays etc). 

This surprises me as LJ as a player only knew how to pass sideways ot backwards.

I'll get my tin hat 

Edited by BS3_RED
  • Like 1

TBH I thought Walsh looked a bit rusty and would have preferred the more game fit Palmer as the sub.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

TBH I thought Walsh looked a bit rusty and would have preferred the more game fit Palmer as the sub.

Palmer should have replaced Pack who had a real struggle to get out of first gear today.At least Walsh plays with his head up and is always looking to play forward. Bringing MT on for Weimann was a waste of a sub as we needed a skilful player not someone to just buzz around and be a nuisance.

• Like 1

What I like about the forum is the wide range of options - eg Walsh was either good or awful.  I go with the “awful” option as I though he looked like a very poor version of Neil Kilkenny. A total inability to run, lots of easy passes that didn’t achieve much, combined with a hell of a lot of pointing and telling other players to run. I know he’s been injured for a while, but if a player is in the squad he should be able to move at something more than a walking pace. He would be a luxury player at league 1 level at best, and nowhere near what we need to get promotion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Aubergine 1

Played well I thought, few nice passes here and there, one decent shot on target..

But what Johnson really should of done is played Lloyd Kelly as a centre midfielder, instead of Walsh, as suggested by a genius on Radio Bristol.

• Haha 3

I thought Walsh did ok , been out a while will be a bit rusty , but looks good in the ball. Grew into the game a few mid placed passes , moves the ball well and looks to drive forward.   

• Like 1

Walsh reminds me of Tins with his range of passing. Said to Keepersball  that him and Eliason will be huge players for us next season.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Played well I thought, few nice passes here and there, one decent shot on target..

But what Johnson really should of done is played Lloyd Kelly as a centre midfielder, instead of Walsh, as suggested by a genius on Radio Bristol.

I suggested this to be an option earlier in the season. Kelly would make a very good central midfielder imo. Can then leave Webster in his best position and have a proper quick, tall, athletic holder in Kelly who is very composed on the ball and technically very good.

Long term of course Kelly will be centre back. But it's a waste having a talent like him on the bench when we have an area of the pitch where we look weak that I'm sure he could strengthen. He showed for the England under 21s that he can see and deliver a forward pass.

And he would be far better at winning a ball, and covering the wide areas that holding midfielders should do. Pack can't cover the ground.

• Like 2

Just don’t know what player he is...came on against stoke and was superb playing in an advanced position...today he was so deep

2 hours ago, dereks no1 said:

Some people on this thread are hilarious. Came on and moved the ball well, had a decent long ranged shot first half, few nice crosses and did a job defensively. Was he a amazing? No. But what do you expect from someone who hasn’t played in months and hasn’t had a run of games in a city shirt. 

The kid clearly has ability just needs some experience at this level. 

Yep preferably in preference to Pack! 

I think the Pack/Walsh comparison is why people are split on how well LW played (or otherwise), and it was huge in the fact we were poor second half.

Fact is, both Pack and Walsh like to get the ball deep and look for the runners - in old money, playmaking. Although LW did one run in behind first half by the Dolman, when he got there he wasn’t the player to use it in the corner position. Neither are particularly comfortable breaking the lines.

So, with the two of them CM, we have two “providers” and one less “receiver” (Koreys style of winning and laying off is a different dynamic and reduces space for the opposition, opening space for the rest of the team in a different way). This means that the opposition have less runners to worry about and can back off and cover all options, meaning we end up in cul-de-sacs of hopeful crosses from Hunt/Dasilva as opposed to looking for breaking runners. Also forced Josh to be more peripheral.

In short, because we had the two of them essentially wanting to do the same job, it meant that made their job more difficult as it reduced the options either would normally have to play the ball to. 

Like the player - but although it was CM for CM, it was the wrong change.

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Fact is, both Pack and Walsh like to get the ball deep and look for the runners - in old money, playmaking. Although LW did one run in behind first half by the Dolman, when he got there he wasn’t the player to use it in the corner position. Neither are particularly comfortable breaking the lines

That is why Palmer should have replaced Pack.He seemed to be running in treacle from the start and his passing today was woeful to say the least. LW at least was trying to get the ball moving forward when he had it. a lot of posters have had a pop at LW today but nobody has mentioned Josh and apart from his goal you wouldn't know he was playing.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

What I like about the forum is the wide range of options - eg Walsh was either good or awful.  I go with the “awful” option as I though he looked like a very poor version of Neil Kilkenny. A total inability to run, lots of easy passes that didn’t achieve much, combined with a hell of a lot of pointing and telling other players to run. I know he’s been injured for a while, but if a player is in the squad he should be able to move at something more than a walking pace. He would be a luxury player at league 1 level at best, and nowhere near what we need to get promotion. 

I thought Walsh did alright.

My Brother in law asked why Walsh wasn't starting every week.

Thought his passes were good but positionally when in possession he stayed to deep and didn’t offer anymore options in the final third. Also seemed fairly static when the team were defending and was even ordering other players to challenge the opposition player when he was in a better position to do so

I like the way he gets his head up and always looks for a forward pass which more often than not comes off. 

Don`t forget he`s only 21 as well. I reckon if he hadn`t got injured at Ipswich he would have had a run of games by now and we would be seeing what a good player he can be.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I like the way he gets his head up and always looks for a forward pass which more often than not comes off. 

Don`t forget he`s only 21 as well. I reckon if he hadn`t got injured at Ipswich he would have had a run of games by now and we would be seeing what a good player he can be.

If we had a striker with genuine pace that likes to run in behind, you'd see an even better Liam Walsh.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Just don’t know what player he is...came on against stoke and was superb playing in an advanced position...today he was so deep

Playing to LJ's orders to stay deep presumably - he replaced the defensively minded and generally unadventurous Korey don't forget.

If Palmer is to remain out of favour Walsh is by far our most creative midfielder - he needs to be given his head in a more forward position where we've seen his quick thinking and range of passing will open up defences.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 1

I'd like to see him in a two alongside a tall strong defensive midfielder, which I hopw we're in the market for.

walsh had a steady game and did pull off the odd forward pass , unlike the others (any of them) who didnt, we can fit him in with pack and brownhill and drop andy, we have options, i think people will say why do that when playing the 4,2,2,2 or 4,2,3,1 has got us in this position , well we struggle against bottom 10 teams and we really need to try something else from the start, just a thought.

anyway, walsh done ok was my point.

On 19/04/2019 at 17:22, BS3_RED said:

Walsh reminds me of Tins with his range of passing. Said to Keepersball  that him and Eliason will be huge players for us next season.

I doubt they’ll be huge , even with a summer in the gym .

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mozo said:

I'd like to see him in a two alongside a tall strong defensive midfielder, which I hopw we're in the market for.

In a 3-4-3?

Or a 4-2-2-2?

Or an older school 4-4-2- how would you lay it out and any tactical blueprint too?

Think he along with Eliasson deserves more gametime- not sure about a 2 though.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I dream of a team that has Reid, Bryan and Walsh in attacking roles. They would get battered but when it clicks it would have been beautiful.

Awaits someone to point out this combo played against PNE, or someone, last season and it was a turgid mess.

In any case, for £1-2m Walsh was a good signing, will be a key player next season and I look forward to it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In a 3-4-3?

Or a 4-2-2-2?

Or an older school 4-4-2- how would you lay it out and any tactical blueprint too?

Think he along with Eliasson deserves more gametime- not sure about a 2 though.

Uhhhhh...

I always prefer 4 at the back and two in front of them, one with height and physical presence, and the other with passing variety and general link up play. Potentially Bakinson and Walsh in a couple of years time.

So I guess a 4-2-3-1 with wide forwards, or a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 with wingers and eirher 2nd striker or deep lying no 10.

I like Pack as a Carrick type, but you miss out on tackling ability. Smith has the industry but lacking in physicality. Brownhill a talented all-rounder but perhaps a master of none.

I'd like one midfielder breaking up play and defending in between the lines, alongside a passer mover. A goalscorer leading the line and plenty of threat in support. 

Easy. Come on LJ...

Agree re Eliasson, but him and O'Dowda seem better as wingers than forwards to me. What do you think?

On 19/04/2019 at 22:28, Red-Robbo said:

Agree. We needed a more assured sub at that moment not hot and cold Walsh.

That said I have seen him play a few times and he does have ability. Needs to convert that into consistency in training and when he gets a chance; its a competitive squad so he has to truly impress in the short moments he has been given. So far LJ feels he hasn't and I tend to agree.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Agree. We needed a more assured sub at that moment not hot and cold Walsh.

That said I have seen him play a few times and he does have ability. Needs to convert that into consistency in training and when he gets a chance; its a competitive squad so he has to truly impress in the short moments he has been given. So far LJ feels he hasn't and I tend to agree.

Injuries haven`t helped Liam TBF. I think if he hadn`t got crocked at Ipswich he would have had a run of games by now and would be looking like the player you can see he is. We`ll see a lot more of him next season if we`re still in the Championship I think. Worth remembering he is only 21 as well.

Personally I reckon he could be a very good player for us in the next couple of seasons - he plays with his head up and looks to go forward which none of our other midfielders bar Palmer really do.

• Like 1

Walsh is the only player in the squad who can play a killer ball both long and short passes. Moves the ball quicker than Pack and links play 

I thought he played a bit too deep on Friday and needed to be another 10 yds further up the pitch.

I was impressed with his defensive game, always chased back and held up attacks

What people need to remember is he has been out for a while and it took him 10 min to get up to the pace of the game.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, mozo said:

Uhhhhh...

I always prefer 4 at the back and two in front of them, one with height and physical presence, and the other with passing variety and general link up play. Potentially Bakinson and Walsh in a couple of years time.

So I guess a 4-2-3-1 with wide forwards, or a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 with wingers and eirher 2nd striker or deep lying no 10.

I like Pack as a Carrick type, but you miss out on tackling ability. Smith has the industry but lacking in physicality. Brownhill a talented all-rounder but perhaps a master of none.

I'd like one midfielder breaking up play and defending in between the lines, alongside a passer mover. A goalscorer leading the line and plenty of threat in support. 

Easy. Come on LJ...

Agree re Eliasson, but him and O'Dowda seem better as wingers than forwards to me. What do you think?

That's a lot of numbers. Your 4-2-3-1 can be 4-3-3. If you play Pack as a pivot in a double pivot you can add tackling ability and industry defending in between lines etc and still play wingers. That is a means of simplifying  the ideas (not all) above into a shape. Not saying it is what I would do but your view there does lead logically to trying to harness the ideas into a  4-3-3.

A central midfield of Pack and Brownhill has taken us within sight of the playoffs, so they must be doing something right.  I suspect either would walk into almost every team in the Championship, and Brownhill may well be interesting Premiership clubs.  Please don’t suggest the Walsh or Morrell would have done any better this season.  Walsh is a young promising player who is taking longer than might have been expected to develop.  Morrell has had six seasons to stake a claim and still can’t get on the bench.  One thing you can say about LJ is that he knows what players do - his preparation is meticulous and he knows every player inside out and checks their data, even at half time.  He knows what Pack brings to the side, and he sticks with him week after week.  I hope Walsh proves himself and I’d love to see Morrell do the same but i’m afraid the latter is running out of time.  Pack really wants to play for Bristol City and I’d be happy to see him out there next season.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

A central midfield of Pack and Brownhill has taken us within sight of the playoffs, so they must be doing something right.  I suspect either would walk into almost every team in the Championship, and Brownhill may well be interesting Premiership clubs.  Please don’t suggest the Walsh or Morrell would have done any better this season.  Walsh is a young promising player who is taking longer than might have been expected to develop.  Morrell has had six seasons to stake a claim and still can’t get on the bench.  One thing you can say about LJ is that he knows what players do - his preparation is meticulous and he knows every player inside out and checks their data, even at half time.  He knows what Pack brings to the side, and he sticks with him week after week.  I hope Walsh proves himself and I’d love to see Morrell do the same but i’m afraid the latter is running out of time.  Pack really wants to play for Bristol City and I’d be happy to see him out there next season.

Sorry but Brownhill isn't of Premiership quality at the moment.  If you compare him to low end EPL midfielders he's at least one notch below.  A good comparison is James Ward-Prowse who for half a season wasn't considered good enough for Southampton.  Both play centre mid, sometimes on the right, similar age.  Brownhill isn't in the same class as him.

23 hours ago, mozo said:

Uhhhhh...

Easy. Come on LJ...

4-2-3-1 could do the job, 4-4-1-1 with a link man between midfield and attack likewise- I think a 4-4-2 with wingers could leave us exposed though.

Eliasson and O'Dowda in a 4-3-3 I've wondered for a while if we could go that way. In a 4-3-3, they can get higher up the pitch for example with an extra midfielder behind propvidinv insurance policy. Would have some nice potential asymmetery too- O'Dowda's ability to drift in, whereas Eliasson more of an orthodox wider winger.

Personally think a central 3 would suit Walsh best, but we see so little of him it is hard to say for sure!

• Like 1