IGNORED

Tommy Smith has passed away

Lanterne Rouge

How long would players like Grealish last against someone like Tommy Smith?

Mind you, how long would Tommy Smith stay on the pitch these days? :)

Literally bumped into him at a kids football match when I was living in Liverpool. Built like a brick outhouse, but a very good guy, and a very good footballer. Used to refer to Liverpool's graduate pair of Steve Heighway and Brian Hall as Big Bamber and Little Bamber. Proper legend and will be sadly missed.

59 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

RIP Tommy - a proper hard man, not the imitations like Vinny Jones, Keane (coward), and the like.

Loved watching him and that Liverpool side.

Sad news.

Not disputing about tommy smith as too young to watch him...but how do you know Roy Keane is a coward?

Sure I remember reading that in later life he was virtually a cripple as his knees were shot to pieces as a result of continually playing with injections before games to deaden the pain from knee problems.

Im sure he's not the only player from that era with similar problems. Luckily medical sports medicine and treatment has advanced since this days.

40 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Literally bumped into him at a kids football match when I was living in Liverpool. Built like a brick outhouse, but a very good guy, and a very good footballer. Used to refer to Liverpool's graduate pair of Steve Heighway and Brian Hall as Big Bamber and Little Bamber. Proper legend and will be sadly missed.

Bamber Gascoigne. Brian Hall has a degree was heard every Saturday on MOTD. :laugh: 

Unfortunately he was truly 1970s old school... a horrible racist. 

Look up some of the quotes re Howard Gayle on his wiki.... truly dreadful 

“In 1988, Smith caused controversy after stating in an interview with the author Dave Hill that Howard Gayle "suffered from a black man's attitude towards the white man. See, everybody thinks whites have an attitude towards blacks. In reality it's blacks who have a problem with the whites... I used to call Howard the 'White *Racist Term Removed'. Now that is a compliment. It was the only way I could find to describe that I thought he was OK." Smith then went on to comment to Hill that "I'm not prejudiced but if a coon moved in next door, I'd move, like most white people would. If my daughter came home with a *Racist Term Removed, I'd go mad. But I'm only being truthful and normal."[36] Smith intended to sue Hill, but found he had no grounds to take legal action as Hill had recorded all of Smith's comments on tape during the interview.37]

11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Sure I remember reading that in later life he was virtually a cripple as his knees were shot to pieces as a result of continually playing with injections before games to deaden the pain from knee problems.

Im sure he's not the only player from that era with similar problems. Luckily medical sports medicine and treatment has advanced since this days.

He took a penalty in a charity shootout before the 1996 Cup Final. A watching Everton fan shopped him and he ended up losing his disability benefit.

7 minutes ago, red'tili'mdead said:

“In 1988, Smith caused controversy after stating in an interview with the author Dave Hill that Howard Gayle "suffered from a black man's attitude towards the white man. See, everybody thinks whites have an attitude towards blacks. In reality it's blacks who have a problem with the whites... I used to call Howard the 'White *Racist Term Removed'. Now that is a compliment. It was the only way I could find to describe that I thought he was OK." Smith then went on to comment to Hill that "I'm not prejudiced but if a coon moved in next door, I'd move, like most white people would. If my daughter came home with a *Racist Term Removed, I'd go mad. But I'm only being truthful and normal."[36] Smith intended to sue Hill, but found he had no grounds to take legal action as Hill had recorded all of Smith's comments on tape during the interview.37]

Thats the 70's for you.

Love thy neighbour and Alf Garnett and all that.

Times have moved on.

50 years ago...

2 hours ago, red'tili'mdead said:

maybe not the time to bring this up, doubt he thought that way at the end of his life, it's just the way a lot of people were in the 70s, a lot of ignorance as most people never actually knew many black people personally.

8 hours ago, red'tili'mdead said:

No need to show that at this time.

8 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Not disputing about tommy smith as too young to watch him...but how do you know Roy Keane is a coward?

I don’t think Roy Keane was a coward. I do wonder about Vinny Jones though, always likes to portray himself as a hard man? “ Look at me I’m hard” What a pussy!

Lot of ex players from the 80s say jimmy case was the hardest player at the top level they played with.

Le tisser tells a story in his book whenever anyone kicked him he went ti jimmy case.

One day stuart pearce kicked him, le tisser said hes just kicked me jim, jim said youre on your own today son!

1 minute ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Went onto reddit this morning (no idea why, awful hive mentality on that website) to see people minutes after he died calling him a nazi and a white supremacist...

Seems very distasteful given that he’s only just passed and also untrue

Reddit is pretty ******* cancerous in fairness mate.

12 hours ago, pillred said:

maybe not the time to bring this up, doubt he thought that way at the end of his life, it's just the way a lot of people were in the 70s, a lot of ignorance as most people never actually knew many black people personally.

Well yes and no. But I think if his obituaries are simply focussing on him being a nice guy, there is a bit of balance to be had. He also was convicted of benefit fraud if I recall correctly. 

Anyway, condolences to his friends and family regardless.

4 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Well yes and no. But I think if his obituaries are simply focussing on him being a nice guy, there is a bit of balance to be had. He also was convicted of benefit fraud if I recall correctly. 

Anyway, condolences to his friends and family regardless.

Obituaries tend to be like that, at the time people gloss over or choose to forget the more negative aspects of a persons character, not condoning doing that but that's just how it is, in death maybe people would rather choose to forgive and forget.

Archived