IGNORED

West Brom , Villa identical tactics required ?

Major Isewater

What a coincidence that WBA had an important centre back sent off thus missing our match and Villa have the same issue with Mings .

Their defence will have to be rejiggered.

The other similarity is the potency of Villa’s attack , Andi Weimann said , post West Brom, that they knew they had to score at least two goals there to get something from the match . 

With Tammy , Kodjia and Grealish on form the same applies to today’s match .

Will LJ try the identical  blitzkreig bop that worked so well against the Baggies ? 

Think Villa play a different style to West Brom.  They are very much “Tammy on his own” up top.  Grealish has typically played wide left until his return when he’s been afforded a more luxury-role in a more central,position.  El-Ghazi, Adomah and Kodjia taking two of the wide berths.  Hourihane will sit and McGinn will need to buzz around to make up for Grealish.

I certainly expect us to play 2CBs (Kalas and Baker) and 2DMs (Pack and Webster)...i’m Just not sure whoever plays in the other midfield roles (Brownhill and Eliasson on Tues) will play in quite the same way, I.e. narrow.  Villa like to get it wide and get crosses across the face for Tammy to tap in.

Think the game will be more open than we would like it to be, so might be a case of who takes their chances.

8 minutes ago, Rapax said:

No, as Grealish and McGinn will beat the press in a 4222 and be beyond the midfield, with a narrow defensive shape leaving huge gaps for their wide men and full backs.

Haha, just read this after I posted.  Yeah, the 4222Hexagon is probably not the right way today, even if the same eleven are picked).

7 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Same plan as Sheff U I think. Counter fast, get Jedinak facing his own goal 1v1 with Diedhiou or Weimann.

That's my thinking too. A traditional counter attacking stylee and hit them with the old sucker punch

Vital we stay in the game for the first half hour as I'm sure they will come at us hard . They will definitely tire later in the game if we can retain enough possession. We will have the advantage of the extra 24 hours rest.

Max is going to have to deal better with crosses today as I'm sure he will be targeted. 

Really looking forward to seeing if Webster can nullify the threat from grealish

If we stay in it for the first 30 fancy us to get something. 

20 minutes ago, Rapax said:

Not sure the days rest counts for much. After an hour against West Brom you could see the players tire. Think the extra game inside 14 days is the bigger factor.

We've played one game more than them since the break and as you say, that probably counters the extra days rest.

This seems like a cross between the Sheffield Utd and WBA games in that we are going to need at least 2 goals to get anything out of this game. They've scored 18 in their 7 game winning run and conceded just 4. 

They should win but if we can carry on scoring like we have since the break (9 in 4 games) then it may be close - I have us down for 2-2 but it really depends on which team takes their chances in what looks like being an open game.

I also agree with a previous poster in that they will have done their homework and Max will be targetted with crosses and high balls into the area so I hope he copes with it. Its gone quiet re Maenpaa, wonder if he's close to returning ?

1 hour ago, Barney red said:

Vital we stay in the game for the first half hour as I'm sure they will come at us hard . They will definitely tire later in the game if we can retain enough possession. We will have the advantage of the extra 24 hours rest.

Max is going to have to deal better with crosses today as I'm sure he will be targeted. 

Really looking forward to seeing if Webster can nullify the threat from grealish

If we stay in it for the first 30 fancy us to get something. 

95 minutes and I agree

Archived