IGNORED

Fammy

Desso

1 minute ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Id rather we just say ok we spent 5. 2mill. Most ever. Didn't work and sell him on to a league 1 club and finally get strikers in

If we sold him he would go to another championship club for at least what we paid for him, IMHO. He ain't perfect but he is decent at this level. Not outstanding, but decent.

15 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

If we sold him he would go to another championship club for at least what we paid for him, IMHO. He ain't perfect but he is decent at this level. Not outstanding, but decent.

He's more than adequate for this level.

Problem is the more simple minded among the fans think the only part of a forwards game is scoring goals.

For clarity Diedhiou didn't have a great game today. But he has shown his ability to bring other players into play, and is a solid basis to build an attack on.

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

For clarity Diedhiou didn't have a great game today. But he has shown his ability to bring other players into play, and is a solid basis to build an attack on.

The problem is that most of the time all he does do is bring others into play. He's a holding attacker. Which is why 4-5-1 has not worked because all we would do in that was build the attacks off Diedhiou that were easy to guess with patience. Thus bringing Weimann up front was obvious and had an immediate return.

1 minute ago, sephjnr said:

The problem is that most of the time all he does do is bring others into play. He's a holding attacker. Which is why 4-5-1 has not worked because all we would do in that was build the attacks off Diedhiou that were easy to guess with patience. Thus bringing Weimann up front was obvious and had an immediate return.

I think the Football Manager term for him is a "defensive forward"

He's a pivot, which in a 4-5-1 isn't necessarily bad, as long a the players are making the runs.

We need players to make the runs from midfield like Ramsey does at Arsenal. We rarely have the CMs making the runs forward as Ramsey does, but I think someone like Brownhill could pull that role off.

2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

I really don't think another championship club would pay 5m for him - that would be stupid on their part. Absolutely no chance of that happening imo.

He's nowhere near that level.

2M would be pushing it and I'd bite the arm off of any club that offered that.

I felt on another day at least 2 of his attempts would have gone in, but why is he still operating as a loan striker? Every defence in the championship knows he is not a big danger alone, why does our management not manage the situation? It’s getting to the point he should become the impact sub due to the chances he can’t convert because he has no support!

5 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Come on then, like who? Sorry mate but you haven’t got a f’ing clue what your chatting about.

This is the problem.

Matty Taylor is not going to get goals consistently at this level, he certainly isn't good enough to playing for a side chasing promotion.....and Ipswich Rotherham Bolton maybe....but he certainly wouldn't get into Millwalls, QPR etc first xi. 

Weimann is hard work centre forward but not a striker. Will get and create goals but not a 20 goal a season striker.

We need to invest in a quality striker this summer. Fammy IMO is not a 5.2 mil striker but with a top quality striker would benefit both and the side.

MUST be the priority this summer

8 minutes ago, Lez said:

This is the problem.

Matty Taylor is not going to get goals consistently at this level, he certainly isn't good enough to playing for a side chasing promotion.....and Ipswich Rotherham Bolton maybe....but he certainly wouldn't get into Millwalls, QPR etc first xi. 

Weimann is hard work centre forward but not a striker. Will get and create goals but not a 20 goal a season striker.

We need to invest in a quality striker this summer. Fammy IMO is not a 5.2 mil striker but with a top quality striker would benefit both and the side.

I’m going to disagree with this bit, imo his best performances for us have been when he’s been played as a striker, was scoring for fun at the beginning of the season before he was unfairly moved to the wing where his performances dropped and goals dried up, not his fault as he’s not a winger imo, always gives 100% no matter where he’s asked to play.

As for the 20 goals a season from him I guess we’ll never know but if he’d of played there all season I reckon he’d be close to that by now. I do agree that we need to splash out on a new striker though.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

I really don't think another championship club would pay 5m for him - that would be stupid on their part. Absolutely no chance of that happening imo.

He's nowhere near that level.

2M would be pushing it and I'd bite the arm off of any club that offered that.

Time will tell....

2 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

I’m going to disagree with this bit, imo his best performances for us have been when he’s been played as a striker, was scoring for fun at the beginning of the season before he was unfairly moved to the wing where his performances dropped and goals dried up, not his fault as he’s not a winger imo, always gives 100% no matter where he’s asked to play.

As for the 20 goals a season from him I guess we’ll never know but if he’d of played there all season I reckon he’d be close to that by now. I do agree that we need to splash out on a new striker though.

Had 4 goals disallowed too. Minimum of 2, perhaps all 4 wrongly.

Goals and assists? May already be pushing 20 if not for a mix of the disallowed goals plus the reasons you state. 

Interestingly, 3 of his assists plus 3 of his disallowed goals came when he was a winger- I'd argue more of a wide LM but anyway not a striker or along the front.line.

That's before we even factor in the issues of him not being an ever present say.

A clear case of a players versatility, hisflexibility benefitting the side as a whole perhaps, but not always him individually.

Fact we don't exactly always find his often excellent early runs in good time- well that can't help either.

With regards Diedhiou himself.

Some interesting underlying numbers. The most clinical he is not but in a number of other metrics, well they're similar to those of Tammy!

Do I say he's as good? Certainly and absolutely not- but all-round game, the underlying numbers show some similarities tbh.

Tammy is far, far more clinical which is great but reading this forum, well finishing ability aside- and tbh that's a very big aside as obviously most important for strikers this narrative wouldn't be seen in many places.

12 hours ago, Lez said:

This is the problem.

Thanx Lez, you took words out of my mouth, agree he's not a £5.3m striker, he's not a 20 goals a season striker, agree Matty Taylor is not a Championship level striker, 

He will split the opinions of the  fanbase.  He was superb against WBA few days back, but that standard is not the 'norm' and you take Fams performances over the season.

I would ask anyone here of age, who has seen the club over the years, where would you put him in the list of all time  City strikers over say the last 25 years ?   

He would not make my top ten. Is he a £5.00M striker in todays market ?  Who knows?

But I have more beef with the club spending £1.00M and more  on 'fringe' players who will most likely never see the light of the first team. Taylor Moore as just one example

44 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

He will split the opinions of the  fanbase.  He was superb against WBA few days back, but that standard is not the 'norm' and you take Fams performances over the season.

I would ask anyone here of age, who has seen the club over the years, where would you put him in the list of all time  City strikers over say the last 25 years ?   

He would not make my top ten. Is he a £5.00M striker in todays market ?  Who knows?

But I have more beef with the club spending £1.00M and more  on 'fringe' players who will most likely never see the light of the first team. Taylor Moore as just one example

On the list ? Under ‘ D ‘ for Diedhiou.

He is most like The Chief , who was also very underrated and ungainly but merited his place.

Most important business this summer is signing a quality forward who will be Famara's partner in crime next season, play with him week in week out, and form a killer double-act.

I dearly wish we could re-sign Bobby Reid, for a sensational come-back.  Even if he doesn't hit over 20 again, he'd get at least 15 and link up very well with Diedhiou.

8 hours ago, Redmycolour said:

Yeh Yeh Yeh, he misses more chances than he scores, it's you who hasn't a fxxking clue, and no your not my MATE 

What player on this planet doesn’t???

Another absolute belter of a comment which just shows you know fvck all ??

Apologies, indeed you aren’t my mate, doubt you’ve got any tbh.

6 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

For starters.

All clubs need squads and depth.

Plus, not all punts, fringe players will work out.

Some will be for development- have we put them on the best path to succeed? I would question it with some.

Lastly- could definitely be said that we don't or haven't under LJ utilised them to their best. Of some of the fringe players who have left, some had rolling injuries- Djuric e.g.- but others have not been utilised to their best. Hegeler and Magnússon 2 examples, though i the case of the latter he suits certain systems, more narrower, counterattacking and it may well be that he no longer suited our requirements. Of some at the club, Walsh definitely isn't being used enough- again injury played a part.

On the development front, we have wasted a season with Eisa, Adelakun though woth the latter had we loaned him to League One and he done very well, then Scunthorpe's tribunal fee could have been pushed up, could be argued we have set back Semenyo a bit and Moore I dunno if a loan to somewhere like here but not quite- part European but poart British, say a midtable Bundesliga 2 club might not have been an idea at some stage? Closest in style to here of Europe's decent 2nd tiers, yet given Moore's international football and coming through Lens- a good academy- a more varied approach for him perhaps could have been considered?

Archived