IGNORED

Spineless jellyfish/Scott Duncan - Merged Referee Threads

AppyDAZE

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Whereas I’m not arguing that he had a shocker - it was a deserved win for them. 

Why? Because the ref set the tone, dodgy pen and all the other issues with the bookings we couldn't defend normally. Shocking display by what is supposed to be a neutral official, this could result in the club not winning promotion, but hey ho it's only 'lil Bristol City, yeah well deserved, I do wonder if you actually support this football club at times.

Andi Weimann goal debatable offside.  OK that was the Lino's call.

Penalty decision - No way was that ever a penalty.  Their player backing into ours and then handles the ball (I thought he had given a free kick for handball). That was happening all over the pitch today with no action taken.

A lot (OK huge amount) of inconsistent decision making where fouls and bookings were given against us when similar offences by Villa players went unpunished.

6 bookings to us plus 2 bookings to our coaching staff versus 1 Villa booking.  Clearly not a representation of how the game was played.

Probably the most inept refereeing performance I have seen in over 50 years of watching City.

Will he be sacked, suspended or even repremanded? No. The EFL Guild of corrupt refereeing will see to that.

Will we ever recover the point (or points we were denied? No

Will we be denied our rightful playoff spot as a result? Probably.

And to cap it all, I believe that if you get that many yellow cards in a game, the club gets fined too.

I thought that referees collecting brown envelopes stuffed with cash after a game was stopped years ago.

Am I angry, I'm bloody maddened.

I've seen some bloody awful rererees over the years, but what I saw today was unbelievable. I hope HMRC are checking his declared income versus his lifestyle. 

The difference between the two teams today was the referee. This is why VR is unfortunately so neccessary.

11 hours ago, maxjak said:

If you take away the penalty, which i have now watched 5 times on Sky, and still can't work out why it was given, then Villa scored once.........we also scored once.  It's bad enough putting up with incompetent officials, without having to read absurd statements like 'Villa definitely deserved the win' WTF, NO they did not  ? ?

I don't think its an absurd statement at all, they created a lot of good chances in the second half and O'Leary made some great saves to keep us in it. 

Agree the ref was horrendous though.

12 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I have seen a few people say Villa deserved the win. I think you have to he absolutely braindead to have that opinion. The fact that the “penalty” changed the game. The fact that city players could not challenge aerially without a good chance of a foul being given. The fact that the softest of fouls will get you a yellow card or be sent off. The fact that almost every time we seemed to get in a good position the ref would find some offence to whistle against us. 

You don’t think that affects the players? You don’t think that affects the tactics? Villa looked most dangerous in the lead and last 10 minutes when they could counter us because we threw pretty much 8 bodies forward. Their second goal was good football and that is why I’d say a draw would have been fair but never can i say they deserved it. Yes Max kept us in it at times but again those times were after a terrible penalty and when we had to throw bodies forward. 

As @AppyDAZE has said - post of the day. A fitting summary of the balance of play today that completely nails how the game developed. I cannot stress enough for those not there that until the penalty it was the archetypal City away day, in control, cagey and finding plenty of room on the break and always more likely to sneak it. Totally changed when everything went against us and clear ref has an agenda. Wish I'd seen this earlier as would have saved me trying to get a belated match report out that I had been too angry and too busy drinking, to finish.

Surely the Ref has to be questioned, or at least explain himself to the assessors if he is suddenly dishing out that many yellows? They can look at our past games and see that his highly unusual for us. Not that it will make a bloody bit of difference to the result mind, but it might make him squirm and be demoted.

He ruined a game that he should be impartial in, he influenced the game if not the result. That’s not refereeing

33 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Yes the penalty was shocking but come the end we were being ripped apart and 2-1 flattered us. Time to forget and look ahead to Reading and 3 big points to play for.

That was only because we were being forced to chase the game. 

Had weimanns goal stood and the penalty not been given we'd have been two one up and they'd have had to be chasing the game and so we'd have had as much room on the counter as they did

12 hours ago, cityexile said:

Not that it matters, but the penalty was not on Tammy,

Apologies for the mistake, I took my information from a match report that stated 'Abraham took the resultant penalty after being fouled' I need to pay more attention. ?

16 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

That was only because we were being forced to chase the game. 

Had weimanns goal stood and the penalty not been given we'd have been two one up and they'd have had to be chasing the game and so we'd have had as much room on the counter as they did

And if my Aunt wore trousers.......

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

I don't think its an absurd statement at all, they created a lot of good chances in the second half and O'Leary made some great saves to keep us in it. 

You are of course entitled to your opinion, and the fact that you are in the minority camp is irrelevant. But the referee's inept portrayal of neutrality was the single most important factor in the outcome of the match IMHO.

12 hours ago, maxjak said:

According to the BBC site LJ spoke to the referee and asessor after the game.............apparently Weimann was NOT offside.  I wonder if LJ asked what the pen was given for,? I would sincerely like to know?  Presumeably it was deemed as a push, but i honestly am unable to see. I really like and respect Tammy Abraham, but he seemed to make a meal of very minimum contact, but ultimately it was the referee who gave it, so it's his strange decision.

I can’t see anything on the bbc website about what happened between LJ and the assessor

oh to be a fly on the wall....

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

I don’t get this line of thinking - goal keepers are paid a lot of money to keep the ball out of the net. That is their job, why do we deserve to lose because a player does his job well? It’s no different to saying we didn’t deserve to win if a striker scored a hat-trick 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

As @AppyDAZE has said - post of the day. A fitting summary of the balance of play today that completely nails how the game developed. I cannot stress enough for those not there that until the penalty it was the archetypal City away day, in control, cagey and finding plenty of room on the break and always more likely to sneak it. Totally changed when everything went against us and clear ref has an agenda. Wish I'd seen this earlier as would have saved me trying to get a belated match report out that I had been too angry and too busy drinking, to finish.

To save yourself a bit more time, dig out your report from Leeds. Archetypal Away day, cagey, even, in control until a dodgy decision (second yellow for Josh B) changed the game. Referee: Scott Duncan. 

4 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

I can’t see anything on the bbc website about what happened between LJ and the assessor

Look under 'Villa beat Bristol City for eighth straight win' on the bbc's football site, under LJ's comments

9 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

The LJ comments on the game on the OD are funny. He doesn't once even mention the ref, the pen, the disallowed goal, the yellow cards. It's patently obvious that he's been told to say nothing at all, or knows himself that he'd better not get started. He must be fuming though.

14 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Look under 'Villa beat Bristol City for eighth straight win' on the bbc's football site, under LJ's comments

All I could find regarding the assessor was this:

Obviously there are many emotions after a game like that. I was pleased that we kept going and kept trying to attack to get back into it, but certain parts of our game and decisions went against us and cost us today.

"The penalty, we felt was a poor decision, but they're a good side and it was always going to be a difficult game.

"Weimann's header wasn't offside and I've just been in with the referee and the assessors because it's so important to get the simple ones right. But we can't allow poor decisions to affect our game."

No suggestion that the assessor admitted the referee got anything wrong, which is particularly galling. The lack of transparency is what’s so frustrating. At least if we see referees being held to account fans can be reassured that something is being done, even when it’s too late for the game concerned.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

We were lucky not to be smashed 4 or 5 again. If you dont think they deserved to win, you must have not made it out the concourse for the 2nd half.

Their keeper didn't make a single save in 99 minutes of football. We weren't good enough. Awful descion for the penalty, but if that is all you hang your hat on and "but for" you're on a hiding to nothing. 

13 minutes ago, Rapax said:

We were lucky not to be smashed 4 or 5 again. If you dont think they deserved to win, you must have not made it out the concourse for the 2nd half.

Their keeper didn't make a single save in 99 minutes of football. We weren't good enough. Awful descion for the penalty, but if that is all you hang your hat on and "but for" you're on a hiding to nothing. 

No, maybe not, but he let two in. Whilst ours made the saves he had to, and more! 

And,  until the pen that was a typical City away performance this season. Under some pressure, yes, but just like Boro and others, holding firm. 

That we got more nervous/cautious was down to the cards as much as anything. But it was very much like the Leeds game where we looked good value for a point until Mr Duncan intervened.

And yes I did see the second half!

16 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

They did but have to question how much the decision changed the game which was level until then. 

I won’t moan too much cos we had a shocker given for us v QPR. 

We also had a wrongly disallowed goal in that one- Pisano.

Was right behind it, a rare case of 2 wrongs making a right in same game!

16 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I It was the soft fouls for them yet holding on us not called.

Bit of a recurring theme.

Thought Wigan first half especially last Saturday got away with a fair bit often on Diedhiou. WBA on Tuesday also got away with a few.

This sounds like the worst yet though, absolutely blatant?

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bit of a recurring theme.

Thought Wigan first half especially last Saturday got away with a fair bit often on Diedhiou. WBA on Tuesday also got away with a few.

This sounds like the worst yet though, absolutely blatant?

I try to be as impartial as I can when assessing a referee. What got me was a few of the soft yellow cards for us that similar offences for them did not draw a foul. The fact that we could not really get physical with their forwards while Fam can be held and pushed around. Though at the same time Davis can come on and literally act like a wrecking ball with no consequence. 

Honestly it was the worst performance I have ever seen from a ref. Half our fouls appeared to be bookings. Pack was booked early for “blocking” a quick free kick. Doesn’t give a chance for him to get away 10 yards. I could go on. A nights sleep hasn’t softened the cheated feel I have about yesterday at all. There was just no consistency in the calls. They could play their game and we couldn’t. 

58 minutes ago, Rapax said:

Maybe you should watch more away games. We aren’t a free flowing go and sot back and hit home teams for 2-3 on the counter. We are organised and take low risks when attacking. We play on set pieces like corners and long throws. For 50 minutes Villa rarely threatened. Then they get awarded not even a soft pen but a blatant non foul. After they score we immediately make a couple attacking changes and change our shape. This gave them more space to find while we looked for an equaliser. This is why people are angry. 

The penalty was soft. Thought Hunt’s booking was soft. Meant he had to play second half where he could not get into El Ghazi who knew that and was much more direct. The refs poor decisions put us in an almost impossible hole to get out of and we still almost came away with a point. 

Archived