IGNORED

Spineless jellyfish/Scott Duncan - Merged Referee Threads

AppyDAZE

All I want is consistency and fairness, for both sides. For all involved. If the Ref decides he’s going to clamp down of timewasting/ fouls / whatever then do it for all. The Refereeing was so one sided it has to be questioned.

Like I said look at other matches we have played in, look at other matches he has been involved in and I’m sure answers will be there. Too easy for the FA to brush under the carpet, but officials should be scrutinised  and be questioned if they have an affect on a game too much. Maybe we might still have gone on too lose but losing fairly.

1 hour ago, Rapax said:

We were lucky not to be smashed 4 or 5 again. If you dont think they deserved to win, you must have not made it out the concourse for the 2nd half.

Their keeper didn't make a single save in 99 minutes of football. We weren't good enough. Awful descion for the penalty, but if that is all you hang your hat on and "but for" you're on a hiding to nothing. 

While I agree Max saved us from conceding a few more, 2 decisions altered the game completely. Instead of being 1-0 up and having something to hold on to, we go 1-0 down and chasing. We then change formation, system and players , and so became more open and allowed them more space. 
Cliche's are cliche's because they're true ..... goals change games.

If anything the penalty should have been a free kick to city for backing in by villa player as well as handball. The ref has made a poor decision here which has been story of our season inconsistent officiating     So we move on to Friday hopefully a win but the officials can giveth or take away always believe we have The Max in ? goal COYR

So Scott Duncan can join the "Trevor Kettle Worst Referees Ever Hall of Fame". Perhaps we should award him a "Warnock" for worst refereeing performance of the weekend. And to think I was worried about Keith Stroud against WBA?!

And for what it's worth, having seen the penalty for Reading against Bolton back in January, that is an even worse decision than the one against us yesterday. Bring on VAR because that's the only way that players, coaches, and supporters can expect any consistency from officials. In yesterday's game, Weimann's goal likely would have stood and there would have been no penalty for Villa. City 1-0 up at half time and the outcome could have been very different.

I honestly don't understand how the referee could have given the penalty. He's 30 yards away from it and looking straight on at it. He's got no view of whether Hunt is holding, pushing or anything.

It's impossible for him to say with any certainty that there's a foul. All he can see is Hourihane fall over spectacularly.

Really is a shocking decision and he's obviously just gone with the crowd.

He'll probably look at that again and feel a little embarrassed.

15 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Interesting. Do the FA give guidelines on how many cards are expected per season? I’ve no idea but there is a slight pattern here. For the last two seasons mr duncan has shown 113 yellows and 8-10 reds after officiating 38 games. He was on 92 yellows before the game yesterday. He’s now on 100 yellows after 31 games with (I presume) seven games left to referee. I’d hazard a guess that he will show at least another dozen yellows and probably a couple of red this season in order to show his consistency. I reckon we just got his tally up. 

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

While I agree Max saved us from conceding a few more, 2 decisions altered the game completely. Instead of being 1-0 up and having something to hold on to, we go 1-0 down and chasing. We then change formation, system and players , and so became more open and allowed them more space. 
Cliche's are cliche's because they're true ..... goals change games.

Agreed, as said the whole dynamic changes after that pen...  of course we all knew villa would create plenty of chances, they have WMD up front, but we were coping until then, and would have come away with something. 

Look at Man U last night, they were outplayed and yet two pens won it for them, at least the pens were valid.

If I was LJ I would happily have got fined the maximum allowed, and tell it exactly how it was on camera, and just let it get played on EFL programme and Sky Sports News non stop. It may urge the authorities to watch the 90 minutes and ask for an explanation for every decision the referee made.

The linesman was no better by us in the first half, a ball down our side (to Weimann I think), he ran past the defender from an onside position and the lino flagged after he was a yard past for offside. The lino was about 10 yards behind the play!

I honestly do not think I have seen such a biased ref in all my time watching football. I have seen dodgy refs who are just poor and give bad decisions both ways but that yesterday was a disgrace. If that performance was in Italy he could be getting investigated it was that bad!

I am hoping it just fires up the team for next 5 games rather than deflate them.

I find it ridiculous people saying that the penalty didn’t matter because Villa were the better team and deserved it. Against Stoke at home we didn’t deserve to lose but due to a battling defensive performance from the visitors and inspired keeper performance we did. That is their job and City were doing this and battling for a point until they got hamstrung by an atrocious refereeing decision. It changed the whole complexion of the match

2 minutes ago, Big C said:

I find it ridiculous people saying that the penalty didn’t matter because Villa were the better team and deserved it. Against Stoke at home we didn’t deserve to lose but due to a battling defensive performance from the visitors and inspired keeper performance we did. That is their job and City were doing this and battling for a point until they got hamstrung by an atrocious refereeing decision. It changed the whole complexion of the match

Exactly. 

5 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Seen a tweet from Jack Hunt this morning. He asked the officials what the pen was given for, the referee said pulling Hourihane down, the lino said for pushing him in the back. Just about sums the decision up..

Says it all. They can't even get their stories straight. 

3 hours ago, Big C said:

Agreed and well said - did I miss a rule change where extra points are now awarded for number of shots on goal? Because it's a bizarre re-writing of the way football works by mainly Villa fans that we should have to feel fairly treated by the outcome because Max O'Leary made a lot of saves!?

The only fact that matters is we lost by the odd goal in 3 and that was an embarrassing penalty. This is what City have done away from home all season, stayed in games and edged marginal results. Can't get much more marginal than that penalty and offside, which is why they're significant.

How is that so hard for some people to understand! And this is without even highlighting that a) the same ref also had half our team on yellows, several from very early, who crucially would be marking El Ghazi and co and so unable to touch them, and b) we were chasing the game and left space!

18 hours ago, Olé said:

Agreed and well said - did I miss a rule change where extra points are now awarded for number of shots on goal? Because it's a bizarre re-writing of the way football works by mainly Villa fans that we should have to feel fairly treated by the outcome because Max O'Leary made a lot of saves!?

The only fact that matters is we lost by the odd goal in 3 and that was an embarrassing penalty. This is what City have done away from home all season, stayed in games and edged marginal results. Can't get much more marginal than that penalty and offside, which is why they're significant.

How is that so hard for some people to understand! And this is without even highlighting that a) the same ref also had half our team on yellows, several from very early, who crucially would be marking El Ghazi and co and so unable to touch them, and b) we were chasing the game and left space!

What was your take, out of interest, when Stoke won at AG in October?

Deserved result- fair? We didn't have the variable of the referee, and more debatably the linesman- but we hit woodwork twice, we forced Butland into quite a few great saves- we piled it on...but lost.

Deserved? Did a job on us- didn't they. Or were we unlucky having played superb 2nd half and passable first half.

Agree about the ref, he played a disproportionate part- arguably the official too but it works both ways.

49 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Scott Duncan is ref for the Leeds v Wigan match on Saturday. Poor Wigan! But then, wait for it, he’s the fourth official for our match on Monday at Sheffield Wednesday!

Let’s hope that the appointed ref,  Robert Jones, stays fit!

If we're winning come 90 minutes...

image.png.54cc2fc55421f4d6af8b04e6333c3de8.png

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Scott Duncan is ref for the Leeds v Wigan match on Saturday. Poor Wigan! But then, wait for it, he’s the fourth official for our match on Monday at Sheffield Wednesday!

Let’s hope that the appointed ref,  Robert Jones, stays fit!

Ha ha ha! LJ, Mac, Scotty, can all engage him in some enlightening conversation for a full 90 plus minutes! 

I hope if there is any type of nudge on any player they are asking why a card, free kick and penalty wasn't given, and also why the ref has a different interpretation of the current rules than he had the week before (hoping the ref this week has a clue).

Archived