IGNORED

O'Leary

Gazred

An inevitable new topic. Surely our MOM today? Really showed what he is about. 3-4 top, top saves kept us in the game and he seemed to grow in confidence as the game went on and looked very assured.

Well done Max, keep going!

13 minutes ago, Gakoe said:

Easily our best player today. Some fantastic reflex saves that top end prem keepers would be proud of. 

I don't want to do max an injustice but I do wonder how many of those chances they would have had if FF or NM was in goal. 

2 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

My mate is a Villa STH and text me straight after the game and said "What a bloody good keeper you've got" so I text him back "3rd choice mate ?"

You ought to text him back and ask him how long has the chap in black been playing for them? A good bloke to have on your side when a game is evenly balanced!

Have to say I’ve not been impressed until today and even then I thought after he palmed the shot out to Albert what is he doing. 

Have to say I owe Max an apology as was outstanding & can see why others were seeing his potential. One game but in fairness, what a game!!

Not without dodgy moments, but more than made up for it!

A couple of his blinders came after he should've done better with the initial effort, palming it back out into the danger area, and he was rather hesitant to come off his line still; but he kept us in the game 2nd half, and some of those saves were absolute worldies. The one before the break - it was right in front of us and I'm still not sure how he kept it out!

That was an OUTSTANDING goalkeeping performance, bordering on Banks-esque.

15hrs later, I am still unsure as to how some of those point blank saves were deflected over the bar.

Memory fades, but I struggle to think of a better City goalkeeping performance(and yes  I am a big Niki fan)

9 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Been a big Maenpaa fan this season (and Frankie too hasn't done a lot wrong in all honesty) but heey

Max looks like we have a gem. the commanding the box thing comes more with time I'm sure.

Pleased for the young man and his performance tonight

Let’s be honest, Frankie is a great shot stopper but, along with his kicking, commanding his box isn’t a strong point of his. Could be a height thing given he is relatively small for a keeper.

In that respect MOL isn’t that far behind him.

Fantastic performance no doubt, however those saying he should be number 1 are being a tad naive, would be happy for  Nikki to be number one next 1-2 season and get max a league 1 loan. Needs time to grow into a man and fill out.

great potential for sure, reflexes are unreal.

Undoubtedly a good shot stopper at close range.

However, since he has been in the team we have started regularly conceding 2 per game. 4 out of last 5 games. His clean sheet at Boro - still wondering how they failed to score in that one.

I have more than suspicion this is because he isn't great at the other stuff (coming for balls into box/corners etc). 

I'm hoping Maenpaa is back soon because he doesn't have to make many blinding saves because he does a lot of the important stuff beforehand.

13 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So, we’ve made it to the play offs and all three keepers are 100% fit for the semi final first leg. Who you picking?

If Niki (or moreso Frankie) are fit before the season ends I think Max deserves a chance to keep his place.

But if neither are back before the season ends but are fully fit for the playoffs then it has to be Niki in goal.

Would rather Max stayed in and around the first team next season rather than going on loan. 

We have already seen that his stop stopping and kicking is class, in that he already offers more than Frankie who is only really a class shot-stopper. He needs to just be playing at this level as much as possible and I think that the commanding the box weakness will get stronger quicker than you think. A summer in the gym and on the weights and I think you could be seeing a top Championship keeper next season who will naturally dislodge Niki. 

Archived