IGNORED

O'Leary

Gazred

5 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

If Niki (or moreso Frankie) are fit before the season ends I think Max deserves a chance to keep his place.

But if neither are back before the season ends but are fully fit for the playoffs then it has to be Niki in goal.

4 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Maenpaa>O’Leary>Fielding

4 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Maenpaa 100%.

Certainly my instinct would be to go with Maenpaa. If ever there was an occasion for experience and a calm presence between the sticks, it’s the play offs.

Certainly no criticism of the other two though. Just think Maenpaa is the most assured.

Without doubt a great day for Max.
That said , there's a long way to go before I would say he is worthy of being number one.
Crosses are a worry, although I like that he comes for them. Yesterday he shovelled a shot out to a striker who should have scored. Luckily it was Albert and he doesn't do that sort of thing against us. 
Those saves were amazing though , and  If he starts to catch and dominate his area more he can go a long way, his distribution is excellent too.

12 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Certainly my instinct would be to go with Maenpaa. If ever there was an occasion for experience and a calm presence between the sticks, it’s the play offs.

Certainly no criticism of the other two though. Just think Maenpaa is the most assured.

For some reason some think we need to default to 'experience' when things get crunchy. Why? it's the younger ones that usually step up to the mark.

If ever there was an occasion for young hungry, agile and technically strong keepers between the sticks its the play-offs - Max O'Leary. Have faith in the incredible talent we have under our very noses

On 14/04/2019 at 09:50, The Journalist said:

The only reason we didn’t lose by four or five.

I love it when posters make statements like this not thinking that so many other actions can effect a result .

I accept that you are praising Max and I am with you on this . The young lad has been fantastic  since he’s come in to a pressurised situation and suddenly playing  two games a week . He deserves all the credit but he has a long way to go before he’s the finished article. 

I hope Maenpaa is back between the sticks just as soon as he’s fit to take some pressure off MOL .

Keep it up Max .

:clap:

I've only seen the highlights of the Villa game and he did make some brilliant saves, but some of those he only had to make because he didn't deal with the initial effort quite well enough (ie. Pushed it out to the middle of the 6 yard box).

That said, the full games I have seen him in I have been impressed. He's obviously a good shot stopper, decent with the ball at his feet and looks to have the right temperament for a keeper. Decision making can be a little hit and miss and his handling could be better but there's a lot there to work with. My view is a L1 loan next year would really see him kick on.

9 hours ago, Jack Bailey said:

For some reason some think we need to default to 'experience' when things get crunchy. Why? it's the younger ones that usually step up to the mark.

If ever there was an occasion for young hungry, agile and technically strong keepers between the sticks its the play-offs - Max O'Leary. Have faith in the incredible talent we have under our very noses

In some positions I might agree but I think goalkeeper is a position where experience is particularly advantageous in high pressure situations. An experienced goalkeeper is less likely to be intimidated by the occasion and can bring calm to the defence.

I don’t understand why the play offs are an occasion for a “young hungry, agile and technically strong” goalkeeper more than at any other time. That makes little sense. Those are physical attributes equally important in all situations.

Experience in goal generally brings with it calmness and assurance, mental attributes that become even more important in the most pressurised situations.

It’s not any lack of faith in Max, it’s simply who I think is best equipped for the situation. For me that’s Maenpaa.

Archived