IGNORED

Offside?

Silvio Dante

59 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

what is interesting, if you watch the video, the far defender thinks it's a goal as he is shaking his head until he looks around and sees the linesman's flag, rather than an initial reaction thats its offside

Players reactions tell you a lot. Bearing in mind how much players moan, thats a significant indicator of the truth. It wasnt offside. 

5 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Looking at the photo it is a very tight one. However on this occasion I think the linesman got this right.

I disagree. I am looking on an iPhone so slightly limited. However the player blocking is facing pack with his foot planted on or just inside the cut line as Weimann is running in. Therefore it looks to me like they are level and thus onside. Particularly as the benefit should go to the striker. 

The only thing is was Weimann being flagged for offside earlier in the build up. But I don’t think so!

LJ was going nuts as were the coaching team. Bad decision by a linesman compounded by a homer ref scared of the crowd. 

Luck will even its self out over a season but we are owed a slice of our own I reckon  

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Weimann's 4th disallowed goal of the season I make that.

The one at Nottingham Forest was a joke. Clearly onside. One v Swansea and today looked very marginal. 

What about Derby away? Never either seen that one or even any pictures of it. Definitely offside I assume?

Derby was definitely onside too, could be a crucial one

Looks level to me, or at least close enough that the linesman should give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker.

But, to be fair, I’ve often thought tight offside decisions are basically impossible for a linesman. He needs to be looking at the ball at the precise moment it is kicked, while simulataneously looking at the position of players in a different area of the pitch. That’s impossible. A tight decision will always be a bit of a guess.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Looks level to me, or at least close enough that the linesman should give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker.

But, to be fair, I’ve often thought tight offside decisions are basically impossible for a linesman. He needs to be looking at the ball at the precise moment it is kicked, while simulataneously looking at the position of players in a different area of the pitch. That’s impossible. A tight decision will always be a bit of a guess.

It's either level or marginally offside. Not exactly a terrible call unlike the penalty was.

And as you say, its an almost impossible job for the lino at the speeds the game is played.

Whether Villa would have been given the benefit of the doubt - not sure...

19 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Very, very marginal....

D59D2811-44FA-4B0D-9DDA-2ED62802BBF5.png

After the Wigan game I stuck up for the Linesman , because of the angle and the side he was on. Taylor would have been obscuring the Wigan defender. This is the opposite and he still gets it wrong. Tight or not, amazing how many of these have gone against us this season.

image.png

20 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Very, very marginal....

D59D2811-44FA-4B0D-9DDA-2ED62802BBF5.png

Freeze framing it as the player is about to kick the ball is not an entirely true reflection of what a linesman sees, a Lino will see the ball get played and a split second later will look across the line. That’s when his/her decision is made. 

Anyone who has run the line will know what I’m talking about. That split second can make a massive difference, a defender steps up or an attacker goes forward, such a tough job to do. 

Dont get me wrong, I wish the Lino had kept his flag down! 

Archived