IGNORED

Match Report: Villa giveth and the ref taketh away

Olé

The Gods giveth and the Gods taketh away: in this case Villa gave and the ref took away. At 2pm Grealish and Kodjia were out and suddenly City had scope to control in form opponents - which for the most part they did, until ref Scott Duncan took over.

From what looked a gift, City found that fortune can quickly change to misfortune, the ref turning in an extraordinary display of home officiating. We'd been the more inventive first half and in control, yet ended up chasing a game we were on top in.

Duncan disallowed a perfectly good goal and awarded a penalty for feeble contact,  a foot up for Villa they never looked back on. True El Ghazi caused lots of problems on our right and O'Leary was stunning in goal, but really only the ref separated us.

Aside from City's disallowed goal it was a direct Villa side - quick balls to the wing - who went closest in the first period, but that cannot take away from a well drilled City that like so many of our away games was in control - until the refs intervention.

Given Villa's absences we went attacking from the off and in the 1st minute Eliasson nicked the ball and found space to run on centrally only to drag a shot wide. A set of scrappy Villa corners added up to little but then both sides exchanged huge chances.

After 10 minutes Matty Taylor, back in the side, steered a header wide right at close range after a City break sprung Eliasson on the left. Two minutes later O'Leary had parried an El Ghazi shot after a left wing cross and Adomah headed onto the post.

By now ref Duncan was already starting to show his homely attitude, racing cards out for Pack and then Taylor whilst waving on Villa indiscretions. And on 25 he'd wrongly rule out City's opener, Weimann's looping a near post header in off Eliasson's cross.

City were incensed and rightly so but they continued to press and just two minutes later a quick long ball over the top allowed Diedhiou to control and quickly find room away from his marker to fire off a hurried low shot which was loose and wide.

Again the game swung the other end and on the half hour O'Leary produced a point blank stunning save - his first of several - as once again El Ghazi had room to cross from the left but Hourihane's header was incredibly beaten away by City's keeper .

Before half time a Villa midfielder blatantly handballed in City's half to start an attack and once again ref Duncan was in full on homer mode letting play continue, McGinn winning a free kick on the edge of the box, that Hourihane fired spectacularly wide.

After the restart City again started faster, Hunt breaking into space on the right and a ball over the top getting Weimann clear to force a fierce shot that was deflected for a corner in front of the massed, noisy City fans. Pack headed the corner wide.

By contrast the 39000 Villa fans had been remarkably silent - easily the quietest sell out City may ever be involved in - but they would rally soon enough and the ref again come to their rescue, this time where man of the match O'Leary had stopped them.

First on 50 the young City keeper flapped at an Adomah shot but recovered quickly to again brilliant beat away Hourihane's right footed effort at close range. But it produced a series of corners from which the hosts were given a fortuitous opening.

Out of nothing Hourihane tumbled feebly near Hunt in the box and amazingly, a ref that had shown stunning inconsistency in addressing defensive marshalling at either end (Diedhiou regularly wrestled all over) decided this constituted a clear penalty.

The Villa Park record breaking sponsored silence was rewarded as City's ex loanee Tammy Abraham fired a fortuitous penalty home. Just a minute later and battling City nearly equalised, a high ball over the top finding Weimann clear, only to lash over.

If that highlighted how close the contest was - in sharp contrast to City's previous seasons here - then in truth LJ's brand of solid, fine margin football away from home was already out the window thanks to the ref and finally Villa would find their feet.

After the hour O'Leary saved from McGinn from yet another left wing cross, and then Hourihane headed over off the endless El Ghazi supply. On 65 again El Ghazi found too much space on the left, fed Hourihane who drilled a low shot into the far corner.

By now City were chasing the game while feeble referee Duncan, who'd separated the teams decisively, preened, ran round waving away fouls on City, and yet teared into any opportunity to book or flag City for touching their 'in form' Midlands rivals.

City hit back quickly - no less than they deserved - as we pressed the home back line, Brownhill nodded it over the top, the tireless Diedhiou slashing past the keeper. 2-1 but not quite "game on" as it was the referee not the teams that set the tone.

And that was the problem, City having to chase the game against 12 men, would be too much for us on a good day, let alone one where we seemed to be off target on all our final balls. And so the final minutes were yet more El Ghazi left wing assault.

He teed up Taylor and Davis, whilst for us, still plugging away in Villa's silent stadium, Fam had a shot blocked after good work by sub Palmer, while fellow sub Baker put a header high and wide from Weimann's reverse. That was as good as it got.

In the final ten minutes now buoyant Villa - you can thank the ref for that - drew save after save from the outstanding O'Leary, thought it barely registered with their still largely silent 39000 supporters. Jedniak, McGinn, and Davis would all go close.

In the end City could have been beaten by more - failing to deal with El Ghazi in both halves and every chance (and there was a lot) came from their left. Yet City has had a season weathering such storms away, it was the ref  that made the real difference.

O'Leary 9 Not just his best performance in a City shirt but bar a preference to punch was the best from any keeper since Basso

Hunt 4 Love the guy who was effective against WBA but he rolled the red carpet out for El Ghazi today, we were abused by Villa solely from their constant crosses from the left wing, never once got a grip

Da Silva 7 Not the heights of Tuesday but still worked hard and avoided mistakes or time afforded on the other flank 

Kalas 7 Mostly solid under an awful lot of pressure and movement, was pulled out of position a lot, relished playing teammate Abraham who I thought he made look very average when the ref let him compete

Webster 6 For the most part looked classy running out of defence as per, but he gave it away twice in terrible positions and did not offer much support to stem the flow from Villa's left

Pack 5 Usual stuff from Pack - was in and amongst it when we looked good and able to move the ball, but give him it 25 yards out at speed and he is so slow to work out what he wants to do with it, we invariably went backwards 

Brownhill 6 Had a hand in our goal, always looked like he wanted it even at two down, only criticism like Pack perhaps didn't do enough to disrupt Villa's direct balls from the right, but the ref made it very hard to

Eliasson 6 Some dangerous interventions in the first 15 minutes and had earned his start after Tuesday but compared to that he became quite lightweight at times and desire to cut in and cross with his left a bit too obvious and easy to block

Weimann 6 Had his moments against his old team and he ran in behind them a few times to good effect but part of a front 2 that were all too often off cue in the final exchange ball, albeit he nearly equalised and had a perfectly good goal ruled out  

Taylor 5 Love the culture that exists with loving everything he stands for as a leader and shithouser extraordinaire but it is so obvious he is a league below the players around him in both speed and presence

Diedhiou 6 Touch was off for at least an hour but he kept going and his desire in the final moments was all important if we had a chance of beating the twelve men

Baker 5 Gave us the change of shape but didn't add much besides his one attacking header that he flashed wide, and arguably we were even worse last 20 but then the ref had got Villa's tails up

Palmer 6 A number or smart balls over the top or through the backline on the floor, but nothing was coming off and no one was on the same wavelength

Paterson 5 On too late to have any effect 

Postscript: my apologies to  Abraham who I wrongly accused on Twitter of diving for the pen - the Villa lower tier oddly dished out first to City fans offers an awful view of the football and was hard to see from the other end who bought the refs affections, nonetheless worth saying Tammy looked often easily bumped off the ball or out of control, perhaps why the referee was so sympathetic all game in a way which he never afforded to Diedhiou at the other end

Great write up @Olé. I thought Hunt was run ragged by El Ghazi and couldn't believe he kept showing him inside every time he got the ball and was never tight enough. 

Max was superb and MT showed he is much more use as an impact sub than a starter. The early headed chance he missed would have given us the lead our start deserved as they looked shaky at the start

Finally the referee........big team syndrome and totally inept compounded by the most awful penalty decision against us. A homer in every sense of the word.

I wasn't going to reply to any comments post match but quite honestly, that report is nonsense and not worth the paper that it is written on.

Firstly, I think the AW offside is too close to call and from where I was sitting (in line with the cameras), I couldn't tell if he was on or off.  However, the linesman, NOT THE REF was in line and he called it as off.  A slice of luck for Villa nevertheless.  The penalty was also harsh and if the roles were reversed, I would have been disappointed for it to be given against us.  That all said, I really don't care how we win at this stage of the season.

Villa went into this game having played a very difficult match with 10 men a few days before.  We were also without our 2 1st choice central defenders and our main playmaker (whose absence cannot be underestimated).  At 3pm, I feared the worst.  Contrary to the report, it was Villa who came out of the blocks and carved several chances, playing neat crisp football.  Bristol were not in the game and then, within the space of a minute, they missed a header (Taylor?) that they could have done better with and then AW had his offside goal.  After that, Bristol did gather a bit of composure and a good game began to unfold with two teams who were trying to play football in the right way.  The above report lost all credibility when it suggested that Villa were direct.  It was still Villa who were on the front foot and 2 remarkable saves by the keeper, followed by a poor header at an open goal from Adomah saw the game end at half time with no goals scored.  Contrary to the report (and I sit on the half way line), Villa's fans, although not great, were still in voice for most of the half and a section of Bristol fans had also been in voice although neither were in full voice.  All bookings were deserved with the exception of McGinn's who was booked for a mistimed tackle.  One of the Bristol bookings involved McGinn being hacked after he'd gone past the player - It was cynical and had it been the last man, he would have been off.  The other one was a very bad foul that also bordered red.  The Bristol defenders were also all over Abraham, in one instance, play on was waved when the defender was over Abraham with the defenders head 2 foot in front of Abraham, his feet behind him and Abraham underneath.  I have noticed, especially in the Championship, that refs tend to allow play on when the striker backs into the defender and the defender climbs all over him.

Half time ended with Villa having created the better chances and higher possession but Bristol also contributing to a good, competitive game.

The second half began with Villa taking a further grip on the game and again, the keeper pulled off 2 unbelievable saves with another 2 golden chances also being squandered.  Bristol were offering nothing at this stage and it seemed only a matter of time before a chance went in.  The inevitable goal came from fortuitous circumstances when a soft penalty was given.  It looks like minimal contact was made but it was no more than Villa deserved and perhaps balanced out the advantage that Bristol had, regarding injured/suspended players and having to play a midweek away game with 10 men.  To their credit, Villa went for more, rather than sitting back and duly doubled their lead.  Had the penalty not been given, who is to say that we would not have done this after this goal if it had been the first.  Contrary to the rather silly and bitter comments in the report, there was not a sponsered silence, apart from in the away section and by now, the ground was rocking as all 4 sides were bellowing out chants in unison.  At this point, it was Bristol who went a bit gung ho and started to play the game in their opponents half.  They pulled a goal back in rather controversial circumstances when a Villa player put the ball out so that his colleague could receive treatment.  Bristol rather unsportingly retained the ball from the throw in and went up the other end and scored.  It was a nervy last 15 minutes with Villa on the back foot now but in reality, Bristol created nothing, despite being given a ridiculous 6 added minutes in order to try to do so.

My feeling is that it was a good Championship game and very competitive.  Bristol played their part but were deservedly beaten.  Villa showed that they can win without Grealish in the side (something they have rarely done this season) and we were fortunate that the number 9 either had an off day or isn't very good as he rarely troubled our makeshift pairing.  By the posters own admission, he had a poor view of the game and even mistook Abraham for Hourihane for the pen - Sums his report up perfectly.  Away fans are purposely put on the side so that the home team attack 2 ends with home fans in.  The lower tier is dished out first because it holds more and when teams only take half the allocation, it is the lower tier that is sold.  It is Bristol's fault for selling it first if they took the full allocation at once.

“Firstly, I think the AW offside is too close to call and from where I was sitting (in line with the cameras), I couldn't tell if he was on or off.  However, the linesman, NOT THE REF was in line and he called it as off.  A slice of luck for Villa nevertheless.  The penalty was also harsh and if the roles were reversed, I would have been disappointed for it to be given against us.  That all said, I really don't care how we win at this stage of the season”

thats pretty much the level of oddness Villa fans  seem to live by. Other than a wrongfully disallowed goal, and a pen that never was, (which you would be angry were given against the mighty Villa) the game was reffed well!! Glad you cleared that up for us. Winning w/o Grealish and the ref is the challenge you may still need to overcome one day. Couldn’t make up an odder club. 

2 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

“Firstly, I think the AW offside is too close to call and from where I was sitting (in line with the cameras), I couldn't tell if he was on or off.  However, the linesman, NOT THE REF was in line and he called it as off.  A slice of luck for Villa nevertheless.  The penalty was also harsh and if the roles were reversed, I would have been disappointed for it to be given against us.  That all said, I really don't care how we win at this stage of the season”

thats pretty much the level of oddness Villa fans  seem to live by. Other than a wrongfully disallowed goal, and a pen that never was, (which you would be angry were given against the mighty Villa) the game was reffed well!! Glad you cleared that up for us. Winning w/o Grealish and the ref is the challenge you may still need to overcome one day. Couldn’t make up an odder club. 

Until you can somehow grasp that it was the linesman who called the offside goal, not the ref, there is little point debating with you.

So basically, we have "ref gave a disputed penalty" shocker.  It's not the first time it's happened and it won't be the last - It happens every week up and down the country.  

Yes, apart from the mountain of chances they created 2nd half and the few we did, there was nothing between the sides.

If LJ really takes the hard done by approach into the post mortem of the game, then we're in trouble.

It wasn't a penalty and that's hugely frustrating. The stills posted of Weiman's goal make it look offside. But what I find annoying is in 99 minutes of play, their keeper hasn't made a single save. That's why we lost.

I totally understand why fans are frustrated with the referee, but Aston Villa created probably seven or eight really, really good chances.

Adomah and Hourihane both missed what were bordering on sitters before half-time and played through us at will in the second half.

We had plenty of the general play and the disallowed Weimann goal - for which he was level, which is often a tight call when things are moving at pace - was disappointing, but I’m genuinely astounded people think we deserved anything.

Just now, The Journalist said:

I totally understand why fans are frustrated with the referee, but Aston Villa created probably seven or eight really, really good chances.

Adomah and Hourihane both missed what were bordering on sitters before half-time and played through us at will in the second half.

We had plenty of the general play and the disallowed Weimann goal - for which he was level, which is often a tight call when things are moving at pace - was disappointing, but I’m genuinely astounded people think we deserved anything.

Every match day there’s at least one team that walks away with 3 points despite having only 20-30% possession, having more chances does not guarantee a win, but yesterday the inept officials cost us, correct result should been 2-1 for us!

LJ did say they won the game in the first 20 mins of the second half. Which was about right.

First half was pretty even although I thought we looked the more likely. I think the penalty and all the biased yellow cards changed the game. Fouls by City players seemed an automatic yellow while Villa's just got waved on.

Anyone who couldn't see that ref changed the game needs to take a good look at themselves. Once booked a player has to hold back in the tackle and half our team got booked. 

2 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Every match day there’s at least one team that walks away with 3 points despite having only 20-30% possession, having more chances does not guarantee a win, but yesterday the inept officials cost us, correct result should been 2-1 for us!

It’s obviously a different game if the Weimann goal isn’t incorrectly disallowed, but we completely lost control - of both the game and our heads - for a large part of the second half.

But, listen, I’m a huge supporter of the head coach and what we’re trying to do as a club when many aren’t, so if we’d sooner concentrate on the officials rather than ourselves to keep things positive that’s fine by me.

27 minutes ago, anotherdayinparadise said:

Until you can somehow grasp that it was the linesman who called the offside goal, not the ref, there is little point debating with you.

So basically, we have "ref gave a disputed penalty" shocker.  It's not the first time it's happened and it won't be the last - It happens every week up and down the country.  

Linesman flags, ref gives it? Still think that’s the rule as far as I am aware, although again I don’t support the mighty villa so I must be wrong. Either way it’s simply a bad call, in a list of bad ones. After the penalty you took control, but had the correct calls been made this game may well have been very different. 

1 hour ago, anotherdayinparadise said:

I wasn't going to reply to any comments post match but quite honestly, that report is nonsense and not worth the paper that it is written on.

Firstly, I think the AW offside is too close to call and from where I was sitting (in line with the cameras), I couldn't tell if he was on or off.  However, the linesman, NOT THE REF was in line and he called it as off.  A slice of luck for Villa nevertheless.  The penalty was also harsh and if the roles were reversed, I would have been disappointed for it to be given against us.  That all said, I really don't care how we win at this stage of the season.

Villa went into this game having played a very difficult match with 10 men a few days before.  We were also without our 2 1st choice central defenders and our main playmaker (whose absence cannot be underestimated).  At 3pm, I feared the worst.  Contrary to the report, it was Villa who came out of the blocks and carved several chances, playing neat crisp football.  Bristol were not in the game and then, within the space of a minute, they missed a header (Taylor?) that they could have done better with and then AW had his offside goal.  After that, Bristol did gather a bit of composure and a good game began to unfold with two teams who were trying to play football in the right way.  The above report lost all credibility when it suggested that Villa were direct.  It was still Villa who were on the front foot and 2 remarkable saves by the keeper, followed by a poor header at an open goal from Adomah saw the game end at half time with no goals scored.  Contrary to the report (and I sit on the half way line), Villa's fans, although not great, were still in voice for most of the half and a section of Bristol fans had also been in voice although neither were in full voice.  All bookings were deserved with the exception of McGinn's who was booked for a mistimed tackle.  One of the Bristol bookings involved McGinn being hacked after he'd gone past the player - It was cynical and had it been the last man, he would have been off.  The other one was a very bad foul that also bordered red.  The Bristol defenders were also all over Abraham, in one instance, play on was waved when the defender was over Abraham with the defenders head 2 foot in front of Abraham, his feet behind him and Abraham underneath.  I have noticed, especially in the Championship, that refs tend to allow play on when the striker backs into the defender and the defender climbs all over him.

Half time ended with Villa having created the better chances and higher possession but Bristol also contributing to a good, competitive game.

The second half began with Villa taking a further grip on the game and again, the keeper pulled off 2 unbelievable saves with another 2 golden chances also being squandered.  Bristol were offering nothing at this stage and it seemed only a matter of time before a chance went in.  The inevitable goal came from fortuitous circumstances when a soft penalty was given.  It looks like minimal contact was made but it was no more than Villa deserved and perhaps balanced out the advantage that Bristol had, regarding injured/suspended players and having to play a midweek away game with 10 men.  To their credit, Villa went for more, rather than sitting back and duly doubled their lead.  Had the penalty not been given, who is to say that we would not have done this after this goal if it had been the first.  Contrary to the rather silly and bitter comments in the report, there was not a sponsered silence, apart from in the away section and by now, the ground was rocking as all 4 sides were bellowing out chants in unison.  At this point, it was Bristol who went a bit gung ho and started to play the game in their opponents half.  They pulled a goal back in rather controversial circumstances when a Villa player put the ball out so that his colleague could receive treatment.  Bristol rather unsportingly retained the ball from the throw in and went up the other end and scored.  It was a nervy last 15 minutes with Villa on the back foot now but in reality, Bristol created nothing, despite being given a ridiculous 6 added minutes in order to try to do so.

My feeling is that it was a good Championship game and very competitive.  Bristol played their part but were deservedly beaten.  Villa showed that they can win without Grealish in the side (something they have rarely done this season) and we were fortunate that the number 9 either had an off day or isn't very good as he rarely troubled our makeshift pairing.  By the posters own admission, he had a poor view of the game and even mistook Abraham for Hourihane for the pen - Sums his report up perfectly.  Away fans are purposely put on the side so that the home team attack 2 ends with home fans in.  The lower tier is dished out first because it holds more and when teams only take half the allocation, it is the lower tier that is sold.  It is Bristol's fault for selling it first if they took the full allocation at once.

And your support was very poor,could've heard a mouse fart........do your stands 'double up on Saturdays with the library service???

Never heard a squeek from you until the dodgy pen..

The penalty was also harsh and if the roles were reversed, I would have been disappointed for it to be given against us.

All bookings were deserved with the exception of McGinn's who was booked for a mistimed tackle. 

The inevitable goal came from fortuitous circumstances when a soft penalty was given.  It looks like minimal contact was made but it was no more than Villa deserved and perhaps balanced out the advantage that Bristol had, regarding injured/suspended players and having to play a midweek away game with 10 men.  To their credit, Villa went for more, rather than sitting back and duly doubled their lead.  Had the penalty not been given, who is to say that we would not have done this after this goal if it had been the first. 

Your own "one eyed" opinion & "big club" mentality is borne out by these 2 comments alone.

It's very rare, unless you are playing a bunch of thugs, that one side has one "unfair" booking and the other has 6 "fair" ones, plus 2 for the coaches. One thing we have berated our team for over the past few seasons is how soft we seem compared to cynical teams, such as those managed by Warnock. That doesn't change overnight!

And please can we have undeserved penalties when we are missing a few players or can't beat the goalkeeper any other way, "just to balance out" the fact that we aren't winning at home? Penalties should only be given because of the offence committed not because the ref wants to give you a one-on-one from 12 yards out directly in front of the goal to make up for the ones you haven't already taken.

Look, Villa have a budget way bigger than ours, and the players to match, but for most of the season, their team, with a few exceptions (McGinn, Tammy) has been underperforming. They are better with Grealish pulling the strings, but to suggest a "homer" of a referee is due recompense for his absence is frankly bizarre!

P.S. We are CITY. "Bristol"are the egg-chasers who were playing (and beating) Saracens yesterday.

Fair play to Villa fans imo. It must be a hard job to be more hubristic and detestable than Leeds, and yet they manage it with such aplomb.

How lucky we are that they should consort with us lower league types.

They are surely the most arrogant, self entitled fans in the country

'Bristol' ffs. How about you **** off?

3 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

And your support was very poor,could've heard a mouse fart........do your stands 'double up on Saturdays with the library service???

Never heard a squeek from you until the dodgy pen..

Elmohamady:  "Villa Park rocking as usual"
El Ghazi:  @avfcofficial fans were as always fantastic.
Abraham:  @AVFCOfficial support was ?? once again!
Aston Villa Official: Our biggest crowd of the season. You more than played your part.

Pathetic, bitter Bristol fan:   "Your support was poor"

Wasn't there so not going to comment on the accuracy of either report, but this did make me smile:

''It looks like minimal contact was made but it was no more than Villa deserved and perhaps balanced out the advantage that Bristol had, regarding injured/suspended players and having to play a midweek away game with 10 men''

It's an interesting take on deserving luck. Perhaps City didn't deserve this as they haven't had parachute payments / much smaller wage bill / aren't as close to Spaghetti Junction etc.....

Just now, Dr Balls said:

Your own "one eyed" opinion & "big club" mentality is borne out by these 2 comments alone.

It's very rare, unless you are playing a bunch of thugs, that one side has one "unfair" booking and the other has 6 "fair" ones, plus 2 for the coaches. One thing we have berated our team for over the past few seasons is how soft we seem compared to cynical teams, such as those managed by Warnock. That doesn't change overnight!

And please can we have undeserved penalties when we are missing a few players or can't beat the goalkeeper any other way, "just to balance out" the fact that we aren't winning at home? Penalties should only be given because of the offence committed not because the ref wants to give you a one-on-one from 12 yards out directly in front of the goal to make up for the ones you haven't already taken.

Look, Villa have a budget way bigger than ours, and the players to match, but for most of the season, their team, with a few exceptions (McGinn, Tammy) has been underperforming. They are better with Grealish pulling the strings, but to suggest a "homer" of a referee is due recompense for his absence is frankly bizarre!

P.S. We are CITY. "Bristol"are the egg-chasers who were playing (and beating) Saracens yesterday.

No - You are one eyed and you throw in the "big club" template for good measure.

We beat you fair and square.  We were the better team and even if we hadn't been awarded the penalty, we would have scored eventually.  get over it and stop bleating like a baby, blaming the ref, the EFL and everyone else for your own little team/little budget shortcomings.

2 minutes ago, anotherdayinparadise said:

Elmohamady:  "Villa Park rocking as usual"
El Ghazi:  @avfcofficial fans were as always fantastic.
Abraham:  @AVFCOfficial support was ?? once again!
Aston Villa Official: Our biggest crowd of the season. You more than played your part.

Pathetic, bitter Bristol fan:   "Your support was poor"

Oh no, you've got us there. You've found some entirely neutral views on the support! And I don't think anyone has said your support was poor; 41000 is hard to argue with. Just quiet. And until you scored I thought it was. It's always going to be opinions, but if you thought yesterday was noisy then I hate to think what Villa Park is like on a quiet day in front of 30,000.

Just now, italian dave said:

Oh no, you've got us there. You've found some entirely neutral views on the support! And I don't think anyone has said your support was poor; 41000 is hard to argue with. Just quiet. And until you scored I thought it was. It's always going to be opinions, but if you thought yesterday was noisy then I hate to think what Villa Park is like on a quiet day in front of 30,000.

Like your bitter fans views are neutral. ?

Nice one centurion .

1 minute ago, anotherdayinparadise said:

No - You are one eyed and you throw in the "big club" template for good measure.

We beat you fair and square.  We were the better team and even if we hadn't been awarded the penalty, we would have scored eventually.  get over it and stop bleating like a baby, blaming the ref, the EFL and everyone else for your own little team/little budget shortcomings.

I always admire the way that, win or lose, Villa fans are still giant *****.

If you don't like what Bristol City fans write on a Bristol City forum, then off you ****.

You live in Birmingham mate, wind your neck in.

19 minutes ago, anotherdayinparadise said:

How on earth can you say that with a straight face, fair and square? Look at your first post, you are Villa personified - odd. No one knows what would have happened had the pen not been given.

2 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

How on earth can you say that with a straight face, fair and square? Look at your first post, you are Villa personified - odd. No one knows what would have happened had the pen not been given.

But 99% of this message board are saying you would have won/drawn if the penalty had not been given. ?

I wasn’t at the game but reviewing the match statistics you deserved to win. That said reading match reports it sounds like the officials made some big calls that influenced the result (disallowed goal and ruling out a goal for offside) and have distracted from the Villa performance.

If you call us Bristol you will Bristol city fans backs up. The same way if we called you Birmingham it would get Villa fans back up. 

You have a good manager in Dean Smith. He plays good football and given the quality and money you have spent on the squad anything less than a playoff place would be under achieving. That said spending money doesn’t always guarantee you the rewards. As you well know.

Would be interested in the financial implications if you don’t make promotion this season? Would you be at risk of FFP.

21 minutes ago, anotherdayinparadise said:

Hopefully you won’t go up and FFP will catch up with you. Then you can whine about budgets 

Villa's fans, although not great, were still in voice for most of the half

sums up how myopic your opinion is, I had the advantage of watching the stream, you must have had someone shouting in your ear, because up until the ref handed you the game with one of the most farcical decisions i have ever seen, you could not hear the ville at all.

Archived