IGNORED

Match Report: Villa giveth and the ref taketh away

Olé

3 hours ago, anotherdayinparadise said:

Until you can somehow grasp that it was the linesman who called the offside goal, not the ref, there is little point debating with you.

So basically, we have "ref gave a disputed penalty" shocker.  It's not the first time it's happened and it won't be the last - It happens every week up and down the country.  

Adip, there is no point debating with you. Do jog on, thanks.

Until you can somehow grasp that it was the linesman who called the offside goal, not the ref, there is little point debating with you.

So basically, we have "ref gave a disputed penalty" shocker.  It's not the first time it's happened and it won't be the last - It happens every week up and down the country, wherever Aston are playing. 

Fixed that for you. 

6 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Bit harsh on Hunt as he had been booked near the end of the first half and with that referee he knew that he couldn't get too close to El Ghazi let alone touch him - one dive and Hunt is off.  Maybe he should have been subbed a lot earlier. The ref booked Pack and Taylor early doors and they also knew that he wouldn't hesitate to send them off so that also curbed their game. Five of our players plus Macca and Holden booked with one Villa player booked. Says it all really.

We were up against a very good Villa team who really didn't need the help of the referee.

Hamstrung from kick off imo.

Given Hunt's early substitution recently when he was also on a yellow, I was a bit surprised that LJ didn't do the same yesterday, although he didn't have Eros on the bench as an option.

In such a tight game as yesterday's, these early bookings have a huge impact on a team being able to properly compete. It's bad enough when almost every challenge is deemed a foul and fouls deemed worthy of a yellow card, but it is frustrating, to put it mildly, when challenges for which our players are carded, go completely unpunished when carried out by opposition players.

If we weren't hamstrung enough by the yellow card count, ( that's not a typographical error describing the ref,!) the penalty decision was the ultimate kick in the nuts. If that was a penalty then Famara should be winning free kicks almost every time he receives the ball , defenders marking him should be regularly yellow and red carded and we should get a hatful of penalties in a season. 

Fingers crossed LJ can fire the players up to retaliate against the injustice of yesterday in the best way possible on Friday!

I hope LJ looks into why we only had one effort on target in the game or why crosses were relentlessly fired in unimpeded, why O'Leary was left exposed 11 times, why the shape was too loose to stop their winger and full back cutting in and overlapping, why their Hourihane (sp) a midfielder found himself unmarked 3 times in the six yard box to miss tap ins, rather than use a poor decision (and it was) as an excuse for why we weren't good enough in the biggest game of the season. 

4 minutes ago, Rapax said:

I hope LJ looks into why we only had one effort on target in the game or why crosses were relentlessly fired in unimpeded, why O'Leary was left exposed 11 times, why the shape was too loose to stop their winger and full back cutting in and overlapping, why their Hourihane (sp) a midfielder found himself unmarked 3 times in the six yard box to miss tap ins, rather than use a poor decision (and it was) as an excuse for why we weren't good enough in the biggest game of the season. 

I was surprised by the team , not sure even now what the set up was supposed to be. Playing, effectively , 3 forwards and four if you count Eliasson seems odd , in a game against a side in tremendous form and scoring lots of goals. That aside , I still say that the Pen changed the game, it would have been the same if they had taken one of their earlier chances but they didn't. That Pen gave them the chance to relax and meant we were chasing the game. Not positive, but I would imagine several of their chances came after they went 1-0. 

4 hours ago, anotherdayinparadise said:

it was no more than Villa deserved and perhaps balanced out the advantage that Bristol had, regarding injured/suspended players and having to play a midweek away game with 10 men

So a bad decision by a ref is all fine and dandy because you had injuries and had a player sent off in midweek?

They pulled a goal back in rather controversial circumstances when a Villa player put the ball out so that his colleague could receive treatment.  Bristol rather unsportingly retained the ball from the throw in and went up the other end and scored.

Completely wrong. To me the ball was a misplaced pass that went out of play (that part is my opinion only and I cannot say TA went down before or after it went out). But from the thrown in we tried a cross field pass that went straight out of play and you had a throw in, so our goal was not from that passage of play whatsoever.

Bristol created nothing, despite being given a ridiculous 6 added minutes in order to try to do so.

How many mins did your keeper waste? Was 6 minutes over - yes without a doubt. But this seems to happen every single game nowadays at every ground. Until time wasting gets properly punished it will carry on as well.

5 hours ago, anotherdayinparadise said:

I wasn't going to reply to any comments post match but quite honestly, that report is nonsense and not worth the paper that it is written on.

Firstly, I think the AW offside is too close to call and from where I was sitting (in line with the cameras), I couldn't tell if he was on or off.  However, the linesman, NOT THE REF was in line and he called it as off.  A slice of luck for Villa nevertheless.  The penalty was also harsh and if the roles were reversed, I would have been disappointed for it to be given against us.  That all said, I really don't care how we win at this stage of the season.

Villa went into this game having played a very difficult match with 10 men a few days before.  We were also without our 2 1st choice central defenders and our main playmaker (whose absence cannot be underestimated).  At 3pm, I feared the worst.  Contrary to the report, it was Villa who came out of the blocks and carved several chances, playing neat crisp football.  Bristol were not in the game and then, within the space of a minute, they missed a header (Taylor?) that they could have done better with and then AW had his offside goal.  After that, Bristol did gather a bit of composure and a good game began to unfold with two teams who were trying to play football in the right way.  The above report lost all credibility when it suggested that Villa were direct.  It was still Villa who were on the front foot and 2 remarkable saves by the keeper, followed by a poor header at an open goal from Adomah saw the game end at half time with no goals scored.  Contrary to the report (and I sit on the half way line), Villa's fans, although not great, were still in voice for most of the half and a section of Bristol fans had also been in voice although neither were in full voice.  All bookings were deserved with the exception of McGinn's who was booked for a mistimed tackle.  One of the Bristol bookings involved McGinn being hacked after he'd gone past the player - It was cynical and had it been the last man, he would have been off.  The other one was a very bad foul that also bordered red.  The Bristol defenders were also all over Abraham, in one instance, play on was waved when the defender was over Abraham with the defenders head 2 foot in front of Abraham, his feet behind him and Abraham underneath.  I have noticed, especially in the Championship, that refs tend to allow play on when the striker backs into the defender and the defender climbs all over him.

Half time ended with Villa having created the better chances and higher possession but Bristol also contributing to a good, competitive game.

The second half began with Villa taking a further grip on the game and again, the keeper pulled off 2 unbelievable saves with another 2 golden chances also being squandered.  Bristol were offering nothing at this stage and it seemed only a matter of time before a chance went in.  The inevitable goal came from fortuitous circumstances when a soft penalty was given.  It looks like minimal contact was made but it was no more than Villa deserved and perhaps balanced out the advantage that Bristol had, regarding injured/suspended players and having to play a midweek away game with 10 men.  To their credit, Villa went for more, rather than sitting back and duly doubled their lead.  Had the penalty not been given, who is to say that we would not have done this after this goal if it had been the first.  Contrary to the rather silly and bitter comments in the report, there was not a sponsered silence, apart from in the away section and by now, the ground was rocking as all 4 sides were bellowing out chants in unison.  At this point, it was Bristol who went a bit gung ho and started to play the game in their opponents half.  They pulled a goal back in rather controversial circumstances when a Villa player put the ball out so that his colleague could receive treatment.  Bristol rather unsportingly retained the ball from the throw in and went up the other end and scored.  It was a nervy last 15 minutes with Villa on the back foot now but in reality, Bristol created nothing, despite being given a ridiculous 6 added minutes in order to try to do so.

My feeling is that it was a good Championship game and very competitive.  Bristol played their part but were deservedly beaten.  Villa showed that they can win without Grealish in the side (something they have rarely done this season) and we were fortunate that the number 9 either had an off day or isn't very good as he rarely troubled our makeshift pairing.  By the posters own admission, he had a poor view of the game and even mistook Abraham for Hourihane for the pen - Sums his report up perfectly.  Away fans are purposely put on the side so that the home team attack 2 ends with home fans in.  The lower tier is dished out first because it holds more and when teams only take half the allocation, it is the lower tier that is sold.  It is Bristol's fault for selling it first if they took the full allocation at once.

Bristol? **** off

Alright, Aston.

Elmohamady:  "Villa Park rocking as usual"
El Ghazi:  @avfcofficial fans were as always fantastic.
Abraham:  @AVFCOfficial support was ?? once again!
Aston Villa Official: Our biggest crowd of the season. You more than played your part.

Pathetic, bitter Bristol fan:   "Your support was poor"

What a cock, just because they said it doesn’t make it true. You lot along with Leeds are most arrogant , self entitled bell ends to grace this league . 

It was very quiet until you scored and again after we got one back . You don’t have a god given right to be in the prem like most of you seem to think and if you don’t go up this year you could be royally ****** financially , and yet another year with little old Bristol city. ✊? the lot of you

2 hours ago, anotherdayinparadise said:

No - The difference is that by Friday, I will have forgotten all about Bristol.  You lot on the other hand will still be bitter, twisted and wrapped up in all of your hatred and dare I say it, jealousy of all things Aston Villa.

Jealousy ???? let’s face it you live on a god forsaken shit hole of a city and Aston really is a hell hole . Now **** off 

You are very childish and typical of a small club mentality.

I have not once mentioned "we are bigger than you" and would not be so crass as to do so.

Do I need to say anymore?

I wasn't going to reply to any comments post match but quite honestly, that report is nonsense and not worth the paper that it is written on.

Firstly, I think the AW offside is too close to call and from where I was sitting (in line with the cameras), I couldn't tell if he was on or off.  However, the linesman, NOT THE REF was in line and he called it as off.  A slice of luck for Villa nevertheless.  The penalty was also harsh and if the roles were reversed, I would have been disappointed for it to be given against us.  That all said, I really don't care how we win at this stage of the season.

Villa went into this game having played a very difficult match with 10 men a few days before.  We were also without our 2 1st choice central defenders and our main playmaker (whose absence cannot be underestimated).  At 3pm, I feared the worst.  Contrary to the report, it was Villa who came out of the blocks and carved several chances, playing neat crisp football.  Bristol were not in the game and then, within the space of a minute, they missed a header (Taylor?) that they could have done better with and then AW had his offside goal.  After that, Bristol did gather a bit of composure and a good game began to unfold with two teams who were trying to play football in the right way.  The above report lost all credibility when it suggested that Villa were direct.  It was still Villa who were on the front foot and 2 remarkable saves by the keeper, followed by a poor header at an open goal from Adomah saw the game end at half time with no goals scored.  Contrary to the report (and I sit on the half way line), Villa's fans, although not great, were still in voice for most of the half and a section of Bristol fans had also been in voice although neither were in full voice.  All bookings were deserved with the exception of McGinn's who was booked for a mistimed tackle.  One of the Bristol bookings involved McGinn being hacked after he'd gone past the player - It was cynical and had it been the last man, he would have been off.  The other one was a very bad foul that also bordered red.  The Bristol defenders were also all over Abraham, in one instance, play on was waved when the defender was over Abraham with the defenders head 2 foot in front of Abraham, his feet behind him and Abraham underneath.  I have noticed, especially in the Championship, that refs tend to allow play on when the striker backs into the defender and the defender climbs all over him.

Half time ended with Villa having created the better chances and higher possession but Bristol also contributing to a good, competitive game.

The second half began with Villa taking a further grip on the game and again, the keeper pulled off 2 unbelievable saves with another 2 golden chances also being squandered.  Bristol were offering nothing at this stage and it seemed only a matter of time before a chance went in.  The inevitable goal came from fortuitous circumstances when a soft penalty was given.  It looks like minimal contact was made but it was no more than Villa deserved and perhaps balanced out the advantage that Bristol had, regarding injured/suspended players and having to play a midweek away game with 10 men.  To their credit, Villa went for more, rather than sitting back and duly doubled their lead.  Had the penalty not been given, who is to say that we would not have done this after this goal if it had been the first.  Contrary to the rather silly and bitter comments in the report, there was not a sponsered silence, apart from in the away section and by now, the ground was rocking as all 4 sides were bellowing out chants in unison.  At this point, it was Bristol who went a bit gung ho and started to play the game in their opponents half.  They pulled a goal back in rather controversial circumstances when a Villa player put the ball out so that his colleague could receive treatment.  Bristol rather unsportingly retained the ball from the throw in and went up the other end and scored.  It was a nervy last 15 minutes with Villa on the back foot now but in reality, Bristol created nothing, despite being given a ridiculous 6 added minutes in order to try to do so.

My feeling is that it was a good Championship game and very competitive.  Bristol played their part but were deservedly beaten.  Villa showed that they can win without Grealish in the side (something they have rarely done this season) and we were fortunate that the number 9 either had an off day or isn't very good as he rarely troubled our makeshift pairing.  By the posters own admission, he had a poor view of the game and even mistook Abraham for Hourihane for the pen - Sums his report up perfectly.  Away fans are purposely put on the side so that the home team attack 2 ends with home fans in.  The lower tier is dished out first because it holds more and when teams only take half the allocation, it is the lower tier that is sold.  It is Bristol's fault for selling it first if they took the full allocation at once.

The penalty wasn't harsh, it was a figment of the referee's imagination.

Hourihane is backing into Hunt and then when throwing himself to the floor commits handball.

Aston were well on top after the invented penalty, but that's generally what happens when a team makes the breakthrough in a tight match, you also then have City players backing off because you don't know what kind of foul the referee will create out of thin air next.

First half was evenly match, Aston had a little more possession and better clear cut chances, but in general play, we were the better side.

Second half Aston started brighter, but as to what would have happened if the referee wasn't inventing a penalty is impossible to tell.

2 hours ago, anotherdayinparadise said:

No - The difference is that by Friday, I will have forgotten all about Bristol.  You lot on the other hand will still be bitter, twisted and wrapped up in all of your hatred and dare I say it, jealousy of all things Aston Villa.

Were not a big club, not a small club. We’re in the middle somewhere, but to say we will ever be jealous of Aston Villa is simply hilarious, what a ridiculous thing to say. 

We were never in control of that match at any point.

First half it was an even game where we could have been leading but for a marginal offside call. However so could they with Adomah and Hourihane missing easy chances.

What didn't help was the amount of yellows given and then the penalty decision. This turned a decent even match into Villa's favour and we had to change our shape to try and get back into it.

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

"Two nil, on your big day out......" 

Seriously, there can't be many clubs still revelling quite so evidently in something that happened in 1982.

I can think of another, and they just happen to share our city... 

See you in the play off final, hopefully the referee will be a bit more even handed, despite what you say the game could have gone either way right up until the ref decided it was time to give the BIG team a bit of a helping hand, it knocked the wind out of our sails (and all the other clichés ) he was the difference on the day, we will never know how it would have gone had that pen not been given, hopefully if we play you again the real best team on the day will prevail.

I don’t get this deserved to win shit. They missed all their chances or OLeary saved them. Villa were handed a ridiculous penalty and some seem to engage in the Villa deserved a dodgy peno for there effort. 

Wiemann was onside. I thought so our coaching team thought so (2 of them booked for protests) and most in the ground could not believe the flag. That however was a  linesman decision

the referee was the worst homer I have ever seen! The penalty was ridiculous and in the event that he allowed us to be knocked around and gave nothing while if you so much as breathed near a villa player (see penalty) you were pulled up it’s not surprising Villa had a lot of possession. In fact it’s pretty obvious. 

The assessor spent half an hour with Johnson after the game and I suspect the report will be scathing on officials who failed miserably

however time to move on!

4 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I don’t get this deserved to win shit. They missed all their chances or OLeary saved them. Villa were handed a ridiculous penalty and some seem to engage in the Villa deserved a dodgy peno for there effort. 

Wiemann was onside. I thought so our coaching team thought so (2 of them booked for protests) and most in the ground could not believe the flag. That however was a  linesman decision

the referee was the worst homer I have ever seen! The penalty was ridiculous and in the event that he allowed us to be knocked around and gave nothing while if you so much as breathed near a villa player (see penalty) you were pulled up it’s not surprising Villa had a lot of possession. In fact it’s pretty obvious. 

The assessor spent half an hour with Johnson after the game and I suspect the report will be scathing on officials who failed miserably

however time to move on!

If you create a lot of chances, that tends to indicate merit or otherwise I'd have thought.

However the officials and particularly the ref played a large role in this result. Would we have won? Not sure. Drew? Certainly! Fair chance anyway.

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If you create a lot of chances, that tends to indicate merit or otherwise I'd have thought.

However the officials and particularly the ref played a large role in this result. Would we have won? Not sure. Drew? Certainly! Fair chance anyway.

I agree chances are an indication of merit. It would be glorious if we all got what we deserved on merit. 

Villa didn’t win because of the chances they missed or were saved they won because of outrageous decisions from start to finish with two in particular mind blowing misinterpretations of the laws. 

If Weimanns perfectly good goal had stood we would have had a different game. If we did not have to chase a game due to a penalty from fantasy island we would have had a different game. 

Still moving on. Another game on Friday. 

3 hours ago, Pabloavfc said:

Villa fan coming in peace. 

Not sure where the hostility between us both comes from, guess its the fact both of us are aiming to go up. 

My view of the match, for what its worth, is that is was an incredibly close first half, we both missed a sitter and then your wonder keeper made an incredible save. I don't know how either side can be so confident on the offside, for me its way too difficult to tell. I liked that Andi wasn't going to celebrate. 

The penalty was soft as anything and i'd be furious if it was given against us. From that point we dominated and could have scored four or five. In my probably biased opinion i feel we probably would have won without it. We are in amazing form and have some quality players performing right now. 

In terms of our home support noise, it has been average for a good few years. Its getting better but we had a few years of being a horrendous footballing team, with players and managers the fans couldn't stand and an owner we all wanted rid of. I believe those years have had an impact and its taking awhile for it to get back. A lot of negativity surrounded us for consecutive years. 

Our stadium is certainly outdated in a few areas but i absolutely love villa park.

I've heard a few fans describe us as arrogant and think we should win because we are aston villa. To be honest i think our expectations are high because of the money we've spent. Its why Bruce was under pressure to deliver and why we expect this squad to seriously challenge for promotion. Most reasonable fans know the mess we became. In my opinion the team that relegated us is the worst team in premier league history. 

Good luck for the next few games. I have a feeling we will meet again. 

Thanks for a much more balanced viewpoint! 

Would you have won without the pen; it's a good question. I can see why you'd think that you would, and normally I'd agree. Certainly you're in one of those runs where everything seems to be going right, injury time winners, penalties and so on. And on that basis alone you're probably right. But our away form this season has been extraordinary, and we've picked up points and wins in the most unlikely places, and sometimes against the odds.

To be honest, I think it was the bookings as much as the penalty that really made the difference. We had players scared to challenge. And you need to bear in mind that this ref gave one of our players a second yellow earlier in the season in those circumstances where you'd normally expect the ref to keep his card in the pocket, you know, probably just about a first yellow but not a second. 

I'm not sure about the rest of Villa Park, but the away facilities really are poor! And taking 90 minutes to get onto the motorway, and then look over to see the ground, really is the last straw on a day like yesterday!

Best of luck, and I just hope that if we do meet again this season it's with a different ref!

3 hours ago, pillred said:

See you in the play off final, hopefully the referee will be a bit more even handed, despite what you say the game could have gone either way right up until the ref decided it was time to give the BIG team a bit of a helping hand, it knocked the wind out of our sails (and all the other clichés ) he was the difference on the day, we will never know how it would have gone had that pen not been given, hopefully if we play you again the real best team on the day will prevail.

Hopefully.  Out of all the candidates, I'd much prefer to face you lot - Especially with our 1st eleven, rather than the team we put out yesterday.

Not sure who you could blame a second time though?  Perhaps the occasion?  

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

however time to move on!

Good points....well made.  Will interested parties ever have access or knowledge of the assessor's report,  or is it in house confidential?  It surely is only fair that the level of incompetence displayed by the referee should be penalised, but I suppose we will not be made aware of what has taken place.  Though I am certain that next time he officiates a City game he will be welcomed with open arms?  If only we had, like Americans, the right to bear arms.?

What used to happen is if the report is scathing enough he will appear before a division of the FA/Referees panel. 

From there he will be put on notice of assessment and he may not be considered for high profile games for a while. 

The club will almost certainly write to the governing body and request he not be given our games with the reasons and supporting evidence. Although that will be down to the match officials people. The linesman will also be assessed in view of the disallowed goal  as it was such a high profile game as clearly the call was so tight the benefit of the doubt is given to the forward. Which if it were Villa it would have been!

Its been a long time since I was doing games so that may have changed. 

10 hours ago, anotherdayinparadise said:

Why were Villa playing Bristol? Surely it should be Aston v City!

Pointless debate really, result was a 2-1 home win, soft penalty, just as we got at home to QPR, questionable offside, some you get, some you don’t. Both teams move on, Villa look good for play offs, local derby possibly v West Brom, we have to focus on 6th, hoping that Derby and Smoggies don’t hit form if we struggle.

4 hours ago, REDOXO said:

however time to move on!

No doubt this will be made public to the paying "customers" who had to put up with it.........

9 hours ago, anotherdayinparadise said:

No - The difference is that by Friday, I will have forgotten all about Bristol. 

You're on a Bristol City forum on a Sunday fella, you're making yourself look very stupid talking about forgetting about us, quite the contrary, you can't seem to get enough of us.

I'd moved on by the time I got home last night, not going to get a bite out of me with your bizarre comments about obsession, from what I can see from you it's entirely one way.

If you're interested you can become an OTIB member so you can keep in touch with what is going on at our club. Bit odd, but you do say you will be thinking about us until Friday.

p.s. didn't bother reading your epic response to this report, I know a few Villa fans and already know their opinion of the game - that was on Saturday night, moved on since then.

14 minutes ago, Olé said:

You're on a Bristol City forum on a Sunday fella, you're making yourself look very stupid talking about forgetting about us, quite the contrary, you can't seem to get enough of us.

I'd moved on by the time I got home last night, not going to get a bite out of me with your bizarre comments about obsession, from what I can see from you it's entirely one way.

If you're interested you can become an OTIB member so you can keep in touch with what is going on at our club. Bit odd, but you do say you will be thinking about us until Friday.

p.s. didn't bother reading your epic response to this report, I know a few Villa fans and already know their opinion of the game - that was on Saturday night, moved on since then.

Thanks for the essay.

No disrespect though sonny but how ####in old are you?  You come across as being about 12 or 14.

7 minutes ago, anotherdayinparadise said:

Thanks for the essay.

No disrespect though sonny but how ####in old are you?  You come across as being about 12 or 14.

Still here! Wow you need to get out more.

You're not a good judge of age but let me help you out with what the clues are:

You: posting on an opposition forum continually all day long on a Sunday - child of about 12 with nothing to do

Me: on my own club's forum once at 7am and once again now at 9pm - adult with a life and a business

Hope this helps. Maybe try going to the pub or finding something else to worry about?

Archived