IGNORED

Historical Racism Accusation

Woolford's Hairband

Was reading an article about the recent racism and there was a historical accusation made of racism at City. Osei Sankofa, who was on loan at City in 2006, has alleged that bananas were placed under the locker of a fellow black player in the dressing room. Sankofa is now part of the Kick It Out campaign. The article this was alleged in contained racist language and the 'c' word in unedited form numerous times, so won't post whole article

20190413_115218.jpg

Sankofa went on loan to Bristol City in September 2005.[5] He made his Bristol City debut on 28 September 2005, where he started and kept a clean sheet, in a 3–0 win over Barnsley; and was praised by Manager Gary Johnson for his impressive display.[6] Following his debut, Sankofa was given a handful of first team appearances at Bristol City, resulting his loan spell at the club extended for another month.[7] However, on 11 November 2005, he was sent off against Swindon Town for a professional foul on Hameur Bouazza, which saw them lose 2–1.[8] Sankofa went on to make eight appearance for Bristol City before returning to his parent club soon after.

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

The name rings a bell actually. 2006? Christ I was hoping this was gonna be historical as in 1905 or something like where it belongs. But 2006 oh shit this is disgusting.

It only takes one person to do something like this, doesn't mean the whole club was riddled with racism at the time.  Might have been a generational thing, where the person concerned still thought it was acceptable "banter". 

Just now, In the Net said:

It only takes one person to do something like this, doesn't mean the whole club was riddled with racism at the time.  Might have been a generational thing, where the person concerned still thought it was acceptable "banter". 

Agreed. Not sure i said or implied that though. Interesting because this is around the same time Liam Rosenior was at the club, or a bit after maybe and he had some problems I seem to recall.

Didn't we sign both him and Kelly Youga from Charlton on loan, this was in the days GJ was desperately cycling through players trying to find something that would work. I remember being in the away end at Swindon when he got sent off, think it was a Friday night game in pouring rain too.

A serious accusation and one someone at the club should fact check - not to make light of it, but I'm always uncomfortable when these sorts of things pop up without any explanation as to the context. If it was the 90's I might understand but I can't think of anyone in that era who'd be so crass.

19 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Agreed. Not sure i said or implied that though. Interesting because this is around the same time Liam Rosenior was at the club, or a bit after maybe and he had some problems I seem to recall.

I seem to recall that Liam’s problems were more to do with his dad being on the coaching team ( or something along those lines )believe it was before GJ, more Danny Wilson era. Got a feeling we had two on loan from Charlton at the same time, possibly making their debuts on sky. Can’t say I was impressed with either. COYR 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Didn't we sign both him and Kelly Youga from Charlton on loan, this was in the days GJ was desperately cycling through players trying to find something that would work. I remember being in the away end at Swindon when he got sent off, think it was a Friday night game in pouring rain too.

A serious accusation and one someone at the club should fact check - not to make light of it, but I'm always uncomfortable when these sorts of things pop up without any explanation as to the context. If it was the 90's I might understand but I can't think of anyone in that era who'd be so crass.

Same day as basso made his debut 

Wasn't part of the problem with the club around that time, the drinking culture and the fact that the players were pretty much out of control? I seem to remember that was a huge factor in Tinnion's issues with the squad when he was the manager. There's no indication as to who carried out this racist act but I think the implication is from the wording that it was either someone within the club structure or a member of the squad.

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

Seriously mate for a poster a quite enjoy you've had a mare here. Not funny and not acceptable.

Fair comment.

I was trying to portray a little context, by way of suggesting that bananas aren’t racist, persay. 

Of course it’s (potentially) very different when aimed at a black person.

Apologies for making light of such a situation & I’ll placed “humour” 

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Sorry - I didn't mean you in particular, just that in general some people may perceive it as more widespread than it probably was. 

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

I don't give a monkeys whether he was better than the love child of Ronaldo and Messi, or worse than that of Gus Caesar and Tony Dinning, because it's irrelevant. Why would he make it up? 

I can only hope we have improved as a club.

Well, there are a number of reasons he might have made it up - not least of which was he had a torrid time here due to being not a very good player. 

If it's true, I'd be horrified. 

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Fair comment.

I was trying to portray a little context, by way of suggesting that bananas aren’t racist, persay. 

...thanks a bunch.

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Fair comment.

Don't apologise mate. To be fair, it's such a vague accusation, unless someone explains the situation a little more....I'd feel pretty pissed off if I was Lansdown hearing that 

Bristol is one of the most diverse Cities in the country. Some of the most promising players we have bought through our academy have been black. Players like Aaron Brown and Matty Hill were way before this accusation 

I'd like to hear a bit more around the situation , just to understand if it really was racially motivated and if there were any other incidents....or, whether it's just a complete over reaction to something completely innocent 

Let's be fair, there have been plenty of both in recent times 

Archived