IGNORED

SPOILERS: Game of Thrones S8

Fiale

39 minutes ago, walkingtalkingred said:

Bloody genius work from the writers. I don’t think there is a person on the planet that could of seen that coming. 

Yeah, I had all sorts of theories in my head about where it was going. Even right up until the end I was on completely the wrong track.

Really suprised how many characters survived but i guess there is plenty of work yet to be done down south.

I think the Dothraki must have it in their contracts that they always get to ride out first and head into certain death. It was cool seeing all the fires go out but when they shot off, i did think to myself where the hell are they going? Interesting use of cavalry!

As the episode went on i started to think it's going to have to end here, they've got nowhere to go. Didn't see that coming though. In hindsight, Melisandre pretty much spelled it out with the blue eyes comment and that dagger has a very notable history.

Will watch again later, with the contrast/brightness up, it was so dark! The director had described the episode recently as "survival horror", it was certainly that in places. Great episode.

Theon's final moments were brilliant. He's been a great character, gone from cocky and arrogant, to being hated, then to being reduced to basically nothing as Reek, glad he went out as a hero. 

Lyanna Mormont being a giant killer was the last thing I expected!

Just praying Tormund is alive. I live for the scenes with him and The Hound!

This is Game of Thrones though, I still don't believe there will be a happy ending, Cersei will end up on the throne with Euron beside her. 

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

This is Game of Thrones though, I still don't believe there will be a happy ending, Cersei will end up on the throne with Euron beside her. 

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the show has been less edgy/unpredictable since the end of Series 5 when they overtook the books. The show runners are working from GRRMs structure but one suspects the last two volumes of ASOIAF books will be quite different if/when they finally publish.

I loved the episode though just have one problem in that I hope we learn still about the Night King and his army and basically what the hell it, the wall, etc was all about.

Dany and the North have pretty much no army now, with the Dothraki, Unsullied, Northern Army, Wildlings etc all pretty much dead. I wonder if it all comes down to the Golden Company now, and what the Iron Bank have instructed them to do - follow Cersei or betray her.

I suspected how it might go when Beric went defending Arya and Melissandre reminded her about the "blue eyes".

Intense episode. I have to admit I couldn't see a bloody thing most of the time but that really worked for the atmosphere. My only caveat I'd make is that, as Gazred said, fewer character died than I would have expected.

Theon's redemption was really well done but I still feel there's not been a properly shocking death since Hodor and, now the writers are left to their own devices more rather than the source material, there does seem to be far more of a reluctance to suddenly finish off popular characters. What was great about the early series was the fact that war felt quite indiscriminate in who it took whereas now it does start to feel certain characters are unkillable.

Looking forward to the last three episodes anyway. Really interested to see how it goes. 

Agree with the lack of deaths, most of Dany's army is dead, but the major characters that were amongst them mostly survived. GoTs has mostly been about Actions have consequences, and "No one is coming to save you". The last 2 season I feel there has been to much "Someone is coming to save you". The darkness, and storm cloud really did obscure huge amounts of the action, which I can forgive a little due to budgets. The more I think about it though, I'm just sad that the whole of the story, banding together against the bigger threat, Winter is Coming, the End of the seven kingdoms, has all been ended and we are likely not going to learn anything about what was going on beyond the wall, the Night's king, etc.

But we have the story we have, and I guess Cersei is the final boss battle. Let's see what happens.

2 hours ago, Fiale said:

Agree with the lack of deaths, most of Dany's army is dead, but the major characters that were amongst them mostly survived. GoTs has mostly been about Actions have consequences, and "No one is coming to save you". The last 2 season I feel there has been to much "Someone is coming to save you". The darkness, and storm cloud really did obscure huge amounts of the action, which I can forgive a little due to budgets. The more I think about it though, I'm just sad that the whole of the story, banding together against the bigger threat, Winter is Coming, the End of the seven kingdoms, has all been ended and we are likely not going to learn anything about what was going on beyond the wall, the Night's king, etc.

But we have the story we have, and I guess Cersei is the final boss battle. Let's see what happens.

I agree - thought it was pretty disappointing personally - I enjoyed it as I watched, but now I've thought about it I don't think I really liked it. I feel like GoT has now done a complete 180 and given all the main characters absolute plot armour. We were taught early that if you **** up, you die - and that's what made it so great, and the most memorable bits from Ned at the end of S1 until the end of S6 or so personified that. This episode almost every main character was totally surrounded for half of it, and walks away absolutely fine. It kind of feels a bit hollow to me, and I'm sad as this is the first time the show has left me feeling like this.

Jon falls from miles on the dragon, and it somehow fine - and then is surrounded by a horde (where only a few were a huge threat before, and just swarmed everything) then he's fine. Brienne, Jamie etc. are up against a wall totally surrounded for half the show - and are fine. Tyrion, Sansa, Sam in the crypt - all fine. I felt like it built my up to a "Oh shit here's that Game of Thrones main character death!" and then nothing happened.

I'm also a little disappointed that after eight seasons of "Winter is coming!" fear, he breaks through the wall and two episodes later is destroyed - with a flying attack from behind, while surrounded by all his men. It just didn't make sense, and wasn't very GoT-esque to me - although from reading the comment here I appear to be in the minority! Meh!

One thing I will say though is that the visuals and the soundtrack were absolutely amazing.

28 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I'm also a little disappointed that after eight seasons of "Winter is coming!" fear, he breaks through the wall and two episodes later is destroyed

I think its a case of they've cut out pretty much all filler so everything is moving much quicker, in the first few seasons the events this season would have taken 6 episodes or so.

I think the actual way the episode was presented was fantastic (apart from perhaps turning the brightness up 1 or 2 notches) I felt the suspense was built brilliantly, the library scene with Arya was very well done and the music at the end added a great feel to the scene. The scene of the Dothraki's sword flames going out 1 by 1 was chilling too. I was expecting a horde of undead dothraki to come charging back at them.

14 minutes ago, hodge said:

I think its a case of they've cut out pretty much all filler so everything is moving much quicker, in the first few seasons the events this season would have taken 6 episodes or so.

I think the actual way the episode was presented was fantastic (apart from perhaps turning the brightness up 1 or 2 notches) I felt the suspense was built brilliantly, the library scene with Arya was very well done and the music at the end added a great feel to the scene. The scene of the Dothraki's sword flames going out 1 by 1 was chilling too. I was expecting a horde of undead dothraki to come charging back at them.

Such a good scene, that moment gave the audience hope then we had it thrown back in our faces 

Yeah disappointing episode. I didn’t mind that it was dark and edgy, but you couldn’t really see who was who in combat scenes. As others have said the fact the only people who have survived are the main characters goes completely against what made the precious seasons for GoT so unforgivingly watchable.

56 minutes ago, grifty said:

Yeah disappointing episode. I didn’t mind that it was dark and edgy, but you couldn’t really see who was who in combat scenes. As others have said the fact the only people who have survived are the main characters goes completely against what made the precious seasons for GoT so unforgivingly watchable.

Had to watch it with the curtains closed and lights off. Makes me laugh that cavalry charge were going to go in pitch black before their swords were lit 

23 hours ago, grifty said:

I enjoyed the episode, action and character developments that came to fruition here (especially Theon and Lyanna) but ultimately when it finished, couldn't help feel a tad disappointed. 8 seasons build up to the White Walkers coming and in a matter of 90mins the top boy has been killed and threat extinguished.

That said I am looking forward to the politics of the next few episodes and getting to see the mercenary Golden Company in action.

Someone earlier said about Daenerys having no army left. I thought the same and that it would be an interesting few episodes ahead as she has no man-power and will rely on shrewd game-play to get the throne. But I just watched the advert for Episode 4 and there seems to be scores of unsullied marching through the ashes of Winterfell; where the hell did they all appear from??!!

7 minutes ago, Undy English said:

I enjoyed the episode, action and character developments that came to fruition here (especially Theon and Lyanna) but ultimately when it finished, couldn't help feel a tad disappointed. 8 seasons build up to the White Walkers coming and in a matter of 90mins the top boy has been killed and threat extinguished.

That said I am looking forward to the politics of the next few episodes and getting to see the mercenary Golden Company in action.

Someone earlier said about Daenerys having no army left. I thought the same and that it would be an interesting few episodes ahead as she has no man-power and will rely on shrewd game-play to get the throne. But I just watched the advert for Episode 4 and there seems to be scores of unsullied marching through the ashes of Winterfell; where the hell did they all appear from??!!

I got frustrated watching the combat scenes. It was almost impossible to see who was who and I wasn’t sure who got killed or who became a zombie......I found that very disappointing.....

Had to watch Thronecast to fully grasp what had gone on.............:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Undy English said:

There is a good theory doing the rounds that the Iron Bank will be major players in the conclusion to all of this.

Good little video about it here:

2 hours ago, Undy English said:

I guess we didn't see that many Unsullied die and we just assumed that they must have been killed when they actually survived the battle or maybe there were a lot of them held in reserve?  They must have had a huge number of losses though!

3 hours ago, Gazred said:

There is a good theory doing the rounds that the Iron Bank will be major players in the conclusion to all of this.

Good little video about it here:

And odds on Daario having ended up with the golden company? We saw him kill leaders of the second sons, chances of him killing the leader of the golden company and flipping sides..?

41 minutes ago, hodge said:

And odds on Daario having ended up with the golden company? We saw him kill leaders of the second sons, chances of him killing the leader of the golden company and flipping sides..?

Well he was last seen chilling in Meereen keeping an eye on things until it could fend for itself again. He's damn useful in a scrap, so would be nice to see him back but have they even mentioned him since leaving for Westeros? Probably won't see him again now, much to the Mrs' disappointment!

Archived