IGNORED

SPOILERS: Game of Thrones S8

Fiale

I reckon Arya has added Danny to her list as now everyone on it is already dead.

Her meeting the white horse amongst charred rubble is a symbol of righteousness and conquest from the four horses of the apocalypse. 

She’ll kill Danny and John Snow sits on the iron throne..........

Varys was (possibly) also trying to poison Dani, so despite him now being dead he could still prove to be a huge factor in what is to happen still.

Still think Jon will kill her though...

Whatever happens, I really hope Jon Snow isn't presented as the hero or the solution to it all. Ultimately he has been tactically manoeuvred in every battle he has led, needing to be rescued three times by other characters. His initial death as the Commander of the Night's Watch came from him failing to keep people onside with his actions, he has thrown the north's lot in with someone who committed a massacre. I really hope, whatever else happens in the final episode, people realise he is a bloody awful leader. and someone with a bit of nous for leadership gets control instead.

My hope - and guess - is ultimately nobody will sit on the iron throne. I reckon maybe Jon Snow will inherit it but cast aside the idea that anyone is born to rule...

2 hours ago, Big C said:

Obviously never going to happen but it sums up how a lot of people feel about this last series. As the seasons of gone on and the less influence the authors original work has had on the writing, the worse it's got. These are the same guys who are doing the next Star Wars trilogy. I hope they don't balls that up.

So the six kingdoms will be told they are all being ruled by House Stark, apart from the North - they can remain free from the king and be a independent nation under... other members of house Stark - can imagine how that would go down. 

I'm aware I'm going against the grain here but I thought it was as good an ending as it could have been. A couple of quibbles (specifically "what happened to the Dothraki" and "so where did the White Walkers come from", although I wonder if that is deliberately being held off to create interest in the prequel) but it had to end with the throne being united under someone rather than the idea that someone becomes "rightful heir" again (as the show has shown it would be inevitable they would be killed off within five minutes).

Clearly Danaerys would have been an awful choice and Jon Snow had shown repeatedly he was not a good leader so it had to be someone else. I like the idea of it being someone who didn't actually want to lead people, and wasn't going to get caught up in internal politics. 

Also, I really, really want to see an Arya's travels spin-off series.

I’m broadly on LB’s side.

I don’t think it was the disaster people are making it out to be. The overview of the show was all perfectly fine (with one or two exceptions). The North independent, Arya leaving Westeros, White Walkers gone, Jaimie and Cersei dead, Jon killing Dany, Targaryen’s gone, dragons gone etc etc.

But the pacing of the final season (and the season before) was poor. It this had been spread over two 10 episode seasons with lots of character development then it would have all met fans expectations. As it was it felt rushed and like characters were changing personalities on the fly.

Having said that, I really didn’t like Bran becoming King. That was a terrible decision. The idea of the Lords choosing a new King was fine, but Bran? Just took ridiculous.

And Jon should have been killed or become King in the North. Him going back to the Nights Watch and then going to play with the Wildlings was crap. 

41 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

I thought it was a little too meta at times, like the Song of Ice and Fire reference

Yeah that was pretty bad. It didn’t bother me too much though as I had heard a rumour that the last scene would be Sam finishing the book. I was grateful they didn’t do that! 

Other than Dany dieing It was mostly Tyrion talking and just tidying up / justifying lose ends. Again we had the rubbish about someone with stories being the key to the future and past (that had never been mentioned until a couple of episodes ago, and still makes little sense to me, especially as Sam showed the maesters were doing a pretty job with that). 

The Stark's ruling the 6 kingdoms, a independent North and Jon becoming Lord Commander of the Watch (which is in the North so Sansa can just pardon him anyway). Not sure Dorne for example would go with that. 

Needing to rebuild Westeros so they appoint a uneducated sells sword master of coin, when his skills are killing people who he doesn't like / annoy him.

Bran who does not want to rule Winterfell because he is no longer Bran but the 3 eyed Raven, "will you take it?" "why do you think I travelled here?"

Drogon standing on top of a mountain raising sword and shield giving a anguished cry of "NOOooooooooooooooooooo" - well the Dragon equivalent.

Why repopulate the watch at the wall ?

The white walkers irrelevant, Jon's heritage irrelevant... It all felt rushed, cheesy - oh well.

Going to draw a line under it all and just wait to see if anyone else is brave enough to give a similar show it a shot - maybe The Wheel of Time

The Starks’s won everything because they were the only ones left with a decent army. The other Lords had the choice of doing what the Stark’s said or living under an Unsullied/Dothraki alliance.

I am surprised Dorne didn’t demand independence though.

7 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

The Starks’s won everything because they were the only ones left with a decent army. The other Lords had the choice of doing what the Stark’s said or living under an Unsullied/Dothraki alliance.

Dorne didn't have much an army left, did they? I'd imagine that would factor on whether they demanded independence or not. 

14 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Dorne didn't have much an army left, did they? I'd imagine that would factor on whether they demanded independence or not. 

I can’t remember to be honest. Jaimie went there at one point but I’ve no idea if they had any army left. I’d imagine they were in a better state than everyone else other than the North, but maybe their new Prince (whoever he was!) was happy to remain in the Seven/Six Kingdoms rather than risk any more fighting.

22 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

15 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The North were fighting the Lanisters from the start though, Rob lost most of the Northern army (after starting out pretty well) then the Boltons split the North, Stannis lost a lot of the Northen men, then the Northmen and Boltons were destroyed by the Vale, we had the Iron Isles attacking the coasts and taking Winterfell, and the White walkers killing lots of the North, then finally the losses they would have taking of Kings Landing. Jon said when told 2 million people lived in Kings Landing "that's more than the whole of the North" I just don't see how they have pretty much any army, they were hit the most and from all sides throughout the show. 

Dorne avoided the war entirely, and were already one of the biggest houses, they probably could have taken charge, but at least would have gone "oh wait, independence is a choice, we will have that" they were already independent in all but name. 

I kind of like that the Unsullied sailed of the Naath, to live their lives out in the warm waters and lush lands protecting the people from slavers. I found it weird that Sir Davos tried to buy them of with land - what would they do with it ? Arya sailing of to the West that seems kind of dangerous, especially when she could have just said "hey Bran, what's West of Westeros ?" but who knows, maybe we get a mini series about her ?

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

Other than Dany dieing It was mostly Tyrion talking and just tidying up / justifying lose ends. Again we had the rubbish about someone with stories being the key to the future and past (that had never been mentioned until a couple of episodes ago, and still makes little sense to me, especially as Sam showed the maesters were doing a pretty job with that). 

The Stark's ruling the 6 kingdoms, a independent North and Jon becoming Lord Commander of the Watch (which is in the North so Sansa can just pardon him anyway). Not sure Dorne for example would go with that. 

Needing to rebuild Westeros so they appoint a uneducated sells sword master of coin, when his skills are killing people who he doesn't like / annoy him.

Bran who does not want to rule Winterfell because he is no longer Bran but the 3 eyed Raven, "will you take it?" "why do you think I travelled here?"

Drogon standing on top of a mountain raising sword and shield giving a anguished cry of "NOOooooooooooooooooooo" - well the Dragon equivalent.

Why repopulate the watch at the wall ?

The white walkers irrelevant, Jon's heritage irrelevant... It all felt rushed, cheesy - oh well.

Going to draw a line under it all and just wait to see if anyone else is brave enough to give a similar show it a shot - maybe The Wheel of Time

There are definitely plans for a Wheel of Time TV Series. Also the rights for The Black Company have been bought. The Black Company are a set of books by Glen Cook and are amazing

Meeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

D&D ****** over the series by wanting to move on before the start of series 7 when they got asked to do Star Wars, HBO and GRRM wanted 10 episode seasons (which HBO was willing to fund) but D&D wanted done asap but they were the ones with the exclusive rights so they would be the ones doing it, they said they only had content for shortened seasons so we got shortened seasons.

6 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

There are definitely plans for a Wheel of Time TV Series. Also the rights for The Black Company have been bought. The Black Company are a set of books by Glen Cook and are amazing

Amazon are also doing a Tolkien related TV series.

Whole thing from season 7 and onwards just smacks of being rushed.

FYI anyone spot the plastic water bottle next to Samwell during the scene in electing the next king?

But too many character arcs just... flipped almost. Dany ended up being her father within the space of 6 months. Jaime ran back to Cersei. John's character arc ending makes no sense as Sansa can just pardon him, which is a huge risk.

All the plot holes have added up instead of being elminated or at least quelled. Especially inn the last two seasons.

18 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I adore it, but each to his own.

Game of Thrones, Wheel of Time etc wouldn’t exist without Tolkien though.

I totally agree, Tolkien set the rules for Epic Fantasy. The hero who doesn’t want to be. The long journey to kill the evil sorcerer.

Tolkien wasn’t gritty enough for me personally

10 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Whole thing from season 7 and onwards just smacks of being rushed.

FYI anyone spot the plastic water bottle next to Samwell during the scene in electing the next king?

But too many character arcs just... flipped almost. Dany ended up being her father within the space of 6 months. Jaime ran back to Cersei. John's character arc ending makes no sense as Sansa can just pardon him, which is a huge risk.

All the plot holes have added up instead of being elminated or at least quelled. Especially inn the last two seasons.

There was a second water bottle by Davos too

Archived