IGNORED

Step forward for Bristol’s Ashton Gate plans

t_b

Can’t find the old topics so someone feel free to merge! And 

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/southwest/step-forward-for-bristols-ashton-gate-plans

Plans to transform two sites in Bristol to provide hundreds of new homes as well as a sports stadium, commercial space and two hotels have taken a step forward with the submission of screening opinion requests to the city council.

Two environmental impact assessment scoping reports have been submitted by Lichfields on behalf of Ashton Gate Ltd.

Plans to redevelop land west of Ashton Gate were revealed in September 2018.

The project's centrepiece is the Ashton Gate Sports & Convention Centre - a 4,000-capacity venue which will provide a permanent home for Bristol Flyers basketball team.

It will also include two hotels comprising 300 rooms in total, up to 250 homes, 30,000 sq ft of office space, a mix of restaurants and shops, a gym and a multi-storey car park with between 750 and 850 spaces.

A second scoping report was lodged in relation to the redevelopment of land north of Metrobus to provide up to 520 homes.

This site was previously earmarked by Ashton Gate for a 30,000-seat stadium, but work did not progress due to the land being designated as village green.

The scoping report said the two parcels of land are "intrinsically linked" and the development of the Metrobus site "will serve to enable the overall delivery of the key components of the land to the west of Ashton Gate".

It added: "It is considered that this connection provides the very special circumstances required to justify the release of the greenfield site at Ashton Vale."

The failure to build Ashton Vale may very well hold us back in the future.

I know we have a super revamped Ashton Gate and I am happy at that but let’s be honest the Gate is a pig to get too and parking is a nightmare.

How many more people would have come to a new stadium with transport that is adequate for the 21st century ? 

Our club will never be able to compete financially with clubs who , regularly have ten thousand more paying supporters each match day let alone the stadia who hold 40, 50,60 thousand plus.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I know we have a super revamped Ashton Gate and I am happy at that but let’s be honest the Gate is a pig to get too and parking is a nightmare.

How many more people would have come to a new stadium with transport that is adequate for the 21st century ? 

Our club will never be able to compete financially with clubs who , regularly have ten thousand more paying supporters each match day let alone the stadia who hold 40, 50,60 thousand plus.

Its successive councils that will hold us back. No stadium (that I can think of) has anything like enough parking. What many have is the vast majority either walking or using decent public transport. 

Our public transport network (in respect of Ashton Gate) is nowhere near what would be needed even for a regular 30,000 crowd, let alone 40,000.

Ive never seen any evidence that the council want to address this. All they seem bothered with is housing targets and excuses.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I mostly agree but am clinging to the thought that Bournemouth, Burnley, Palace and Watford have all made a decent fist of Premiership football in smaller grounds than our own. And if it's at all possible to redesign or replace the Atyeo with an increased capacity, Ashton Gate would match the grounds of Brighton, Saints and Wolves.

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I'm finding it difficult to believe that all the cars on the road at the moment will be replaced by hybrid/electric during the next 10 years!

This is why I should be mayor.

My manifesto would include plans to cover Bristol in a ceiling of chicken wire and make our great City the world's largest dodgem arena.

It'll be immense.

No one will need to own a car, as you can just get in the nearest one to you, insert one of those little plastic tokens and off you go.

9 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I'm finding it difficult to believe that all the cars on the road at the moment will be replaced by hybrid/electric during the next 10 years!

Um, sales of new petrol/diesel vehicles may be banned from 2032 (although, pretty sure it's still set at 2040), but that doesn't mean that all the petrol or diesel cars currently on the road have to be replaced, just means there won't be any new ones...

Anyway, think we're digressing from the subject somewhat!!

4 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Um, sales of new petrol/diesel vehicles may be banned from 2032 (although, pretty sure it's still set at 2040), but that doesn't mean that all the petrol or diesel cars currently on the road have to be replaced, just means there won't be any new ones...

Don't really fit with the 12 year tipping point re climate change.

11 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Don't really fit with the 12 year tipping point re climate change.

When was that tipping point 2002? We're all ******, let's face it Chinas move to electric cars is far more important than ours but they are still building coal power stations like they are going out of fashion because climate targets are based on percentages.

We won't get anything clean until fusion comes along and that probably won't be for another 10 years at the earliest. 

9 minutes ago, Pezo said:

When was that tipping point 2002? We're all ******, let's face it Chinas move to electric cars is far more important than ours but they are still building coal power stations like they are going out of fashion because climate targets are based on percentages.

We won't get anything clean until fusion comes along and that probably won't be for another 10 years at the earliest. 

Do you think the lack of functioning coal mines in BS3 will be a contributing factor in City's ability to compete on an equal financial footing to other premier league clubs?

(Just trying to get this back on track).

57 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

My manifesto would include plans to cover Bristol in a ceiling of chicken wire and make our great City the world's largest dodgem arena.

It'll be immense.

No one will need to own a car, as you can just get in the nearest one to you, insert one of those little plastic tokens and off you go.

I'd suggest another of your fag breaks for a quick rethink!

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Me too. If this joke of a Tory governnent pulled it's finger out it's arse then maybe. But they're not overly fussed about thousands dying every year due to air pollution . 

Last year, instead of the government bringing in a diesel scrappage scheme, many car manufacturers did - that's how bad this government is!

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

It'll be immense.

If dodgems are good enough for The Stig, they are good enough for me

B7690BC1-8037-4B6B-9DB4-5CB73EE58FFF.jpeg

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Its successive councils that will hold us back. No stadium (that I can think of) has anything like enough parking. What many have is the vast majority either walking or using decent public transport. 

Our public transport network (in respect of Ashton Gate) is nowhere near what would be needed even for a regular 30,000 crowd, let alone 40,000.

Ive never seen any evidence that the council want to address this. All they seem bothered with is housing targets and excuses.

I’ve an idea. What about a dedicated public transport route next to the stadium? You know, like a bus only road. 

I know it would be expensive, but think of the benefits.

Then, just think. We could have a 1,000 plus capacity level car park on land between us and Long Ashton within walking distance of the stadium. 

... and dream on..... we could have a rail line and platform that’s a stones throw from the stadium.

Read and weep. Only in Bristol would you have all the infrastructure in place and nobody allowed to use it. Truly pathetic.

Hang your head in shame Mr Mayor, you and your cronies  are truly ****** useless. You don’t deserve Steve Lansdown, a successful football team or regional entertainment facility.

32 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Me too. If this joke of a Tory governnent pulled it's finger out it's arse then maybe. But they're not overly fussed about thousands dying every year due to air pollution . 

Last year, instead of the government bringing in a diesel scrappage scheme, many car manufacturers did - that's how bad this government is!

Yep, it was all hunky dory under their predecessors mind.

27 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Hang your head in shame Mr Mayor, you and your cronies  are truly ****** useless.

So the current Mayor has only been in place, what 3 years is it? Comes into office after years of tory budget cuts and a red trousered berk, prioritises housing and other non Ashton Gate issues, and you want him to hang his head in shame?

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I personally think this suits Steve L better, as he will actually get a return on his investment due to the non City related development as part of the scheme. Of course if he transferred ownership to Bristol Sport, there is an argument that it could count towards revenue and therefore FFP, as i'm sure some other clubs have raised money via property deals.

8 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

So the current Mayor has only been in place, what 3 years is it? Comes into office after years of tory budget cuts and a red trousered berk, prioritises housing and other non Ashton Gate issues, and you want him to hang his head in shame?

Didn't he say he was going to sort out the RPZ Parking issues, sort out the Ashton Park and Ride, agree that Metro Bus was going to go to the Stadium? And after the council spending how many millions down Temple Meads for an arena he then decides to scrap it and move it to Filton.

Still at least he is spending his time wisely chatting utter nonsense about having an Underground system!! Let's not forget his list of "achievements" that his office released that even had one "achievment" as setting up a meeting.

20 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I personally think this suits Steve L better, as he will actually get a return on his investment due to the non City related development as part of the scheme. Of course if he transferred ownership to Bristol Sport, there is an argument that it could count towards revenue and therefore FFP, as i'm sure some other clubs have raised money via property deals.

It's OK as he's going to sell Ashton Gate to Maggie Lansdown for £1bn - nothing to see here as far as FFP is concerned . . . 

26 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Didn't he say he was going to sort out the RPZ Parking issues, sort out the Ashton Park and Ride, agree that Metro Bus was going to go to the Stadium? And after the council spending how many millions down Temple Meads for an arena he then decides to scrap it and move it to Filton.

Still at least he is spending his time wisely chatting utter nonsense about having an Underground system!! Let's not forget his list of "achievements" that his office released that even had one "achievment" as setting up a meeting.

I think you're being a tad disingenuous there. Don't you remember the school kids playing chess at the Council House  City Hall

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-mayor-marvin-rees-publishes-640182 (number35) 

One of his achievements was 56 new Council Houses in 18 months even though he said he was going to build 2000 per year. I do like the "Celebrated 70th Anniversary of being twinned with Hannover and Bordeaux" - that is an achievement!! Pretty sure it is a party and probably organised by someone else.

The list is so embarrassing, and I cannot he even let it get published.

Archived