IGNORED

Step forward for Bristol’s Ashton Gate plans

t_b

1 hour ago, wood_red said:

Didn't he say he was going to sort out the RPZ Parking issues, sort out the Ashton Park and Ride, agree that Metro Bus was going to go to the Stadium? And after the council spending how many millions down Temple Meads for an arena he then decides to scrap it and move it to Filton.

Still at least he is spending his time wisely chatting utter nonsense about having an Underground system!! Let's not forget his list of "achievements" that his office released that even had one "achievment" as setting up a meeting.

The thing is he's not George 'big mouth' Ferguson (for me thats a good thing) he's done a fair bit more than people hear about - for instance getting a much more balanced representation across Bristols magistrates - which IS a good thing.

I wonder if Ferguson ever did have that immigrant in his home??? he certainly grabbed enough headlines promising it.

Ferguson was a self interested rich man , masquerading as a 'man of the people' One of the Clifton mafia and part of the old liberal elite of Bristol that needs to be swept away, but won't be as they have too much undue influence.

and while Marvin has been installed partly by Labour HQ, he has done more for the whole of Bristol, not just Clifton & Southville.

So much of what the council can and cannot do is tied up in central government policy and the punitive taxation system (Bristol pays disproportionate amounts of tax to government, thats well known) Marvin doesn't have a wand to wave to fund big infrastructure projects - christ the rail line to Portishead is a example of how slowly we move as a city.

The underground system is bollocks, i agree,  but he has been pro active in getting projects and companies here and we have to recognise his value in that (C4 for example) and lets not pretend that Ferguson didn't propose some dumb shit too.

I think (like so many elected officials) the quality of so many of our councillors is really poor - and we are way behind other metropolitan areas in terms of drive, organisation and cohesive, city wide planning (Sheffield for example)

But Bristol suffers from the perception that its a wealthy city, that we don't need help like northern cities or cornwall or wales etc. If the city got it's fair share of tax back from the government, things might be better, but we are getting used as a political football

(electrification of the rail is a good example) 

**** knows what the answer is ;)

what was the question again....

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

So the current Mayor has only been in place, what 3 years is it? Comes into office after years of tory budget cuts and a red trousered berk, prioritises housing and other non Ashton Gate issues, and you want him to hang his head in shame?

Yep.

Utterly clueless.

Yes, let’s build more houses. Let’s take a prime City centre location, once in a generation opportunity,  and build loads of flats rather than build something iconic for the many, not the few. 

Brilliant isn’t it? Build houses and they will come. Thousands, yet more thousands and they’ll have, what, two, three, four sprogs each pair and guess what, you need to build more thousands of houses to build for their offspring..  and so it goes on. 

More voters for labour, more consumers for the Tories.

One day the human race will wake up to the idea that they are solely responsible for destroying all other species on the planet... but, hey, keep supporting the short-sighted.

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

When was that tipping point 2002? We're all ******, let's face it Chinas move to electric cars is far more important than ours but they are still building coal power stations like they are going out of fashion because climate targets are based on percentages.

We won't get anything clean until fusion comes along and that probably won't be for another 10 years at the earliest. 

Nothing meaningful for 50 years imo

5 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Yep.

Utterly clueless.

Yes, let’s build more houses. Let’s take a prime City centre location, once in a generation opportunity,  and build loads of flats rather than build something iconic for the many, not the few. 

Brilliant isn’t it? Build houses and they will come. Thousands, yet more thousands and they’ll have, what, two, three, four sprogs each pair and guess what, you need to build more thousands of houses to build for their offspring..  and so it goes on. 

One day the human race will wake up to the idea that they are solely responsible for destroying all other species on the planet... but, hey, keep supporting the short-sighted.

Much of the human race has already woken up. Unfortunately humanity is generally too selfish for enough people to vote in policies that will detract from their lifestyles. 

6 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Yep.

Utterly clueless.

So people shouldn't have a place to live?

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

Yep, it was all hunky dory under their predecessors mind.

I never had any interest in politics simply because it makes very little difference to which party is in power. 

Essentially they’re  both the bloody same.............:dunno:

Same with the Bristol mayor. When Red George was in charge everybody complained and now Marv is in charge everybody is still complaining............:cool2:

5 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

So people shouldn't have a place to live?

So you keep building until you run out of land? 

We are already depend on unsustainable, industrialised, intensive agriculture to feed ourselves and still need to import 60% of our food. 

Going back to the Mayor. The mayoral system was set up to bang heads together as a facilitator, to deal with issues just like Ashton Gate access - where public /private sectors were not working for the benefit of society. 

Planners are responsible for forecasting housing need and delivering it with developers.... largely on a predict and provide basis. The Mayor is just another tier of unnecessary waste in the process. 

2 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

I’ve an idea. What about a dedicated public transport route next to the stadium? You know, like a bus only road. 

I know it would be expensive, but think of the benefits.

Then, just think. We could have a 1,000 plus capacity level car park on land between us and Long Ashton within walking distance of the stadium. 

... and dream on..... we could have a rail line and platform that’s a stones throw from the stadium.

Read and weep. Only in Bristol would you have all the infrastructure in place and nobody allowed to use it. Truly pathetic.

Hang your head in shame Mr Mayor, you and your cronies  are truly ****** useless. You don’t deserve Steve Lansdown, a successful football team or regional entertainment facility.

Top top post. It really is hard to believe 

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The failure to build Ashton Vale may very well hold us back in the future.

I know we have a super revamped Ashton Gate and I am happy at that but let’s be honest the Gate is a pig to get too and parking is a nightmare.

How many more people would have come to a new stadium with transport that is adequate for the 21st century ? 

Our club will never be able to compete financially with clubs who , regularly have ten thousand more paying supporters each match day let alone the stadia who hold 40, 50,60 thousand plus.

Absolutely, I was so disappointed when that ludicrous judicial decision killed Ashton Vale.

You can't ignore the need for parking in the modern world outside of London with its excellent public transport system.

A redeveloped Ashton Gate is great but it's very much a distant second to Ashton Vale with loads of parking.

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I know we have a super revamped Ashton Gate and I am happy at that but let’s be honest the Gate is a pig to get too and parking is a nightmare.

How many more people would have come to a new stadium with transport that is adequate for the 21st century ? 

Our club will never be able to compete financially with clubs who , regularly have ten thousand more paying supporters each match day let alone the stadia who hold 40, 50,60 thousand plus.

I would agree about parking if they were building out by the mall which already has good transport links, but imagine if they did build Ashton Vale and did have loads of parking, everyone would drive and it would be total carnage every game, even more than it is now, Ashton Vale is just as bad to get to as Ashton Gate.  What they need to do is have decent public transport links I.e. trains, trams and buses so nobody needs/wants to drive but that won’t happen.  Personally I’m glad Ashton Vale didn’t happen in the end, I think fans moan about the soul of the club being lost now, would have been even worse in a 40k new stadium I think, but that’s just me 

43 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

So what's your solution?

For starters, you don’t have incentives to ‘grow’ your population beyond sustainable levels. 

You agree a ‘carrying capacity’ for the Country and a target for the medium and long term population levels - which doesn’t involve the loss of 60% of wildlife in next 50 years and isn’t dependent on barbaric, inhumane farming of animals.

We are where we are. Lazy, selfish, ‘me-me’ politicians mean we are more likely to ‘crash and burn’ rather than sort it out ourselves. There’s a few voices in the semi-political wilderness, Attenborough, Packham but too little, too late.

Personally, spent 40 years trying to change hearts and  minds,  adopt a ‘quality not quantity’ approach and applying the ‘precautionary principle’. Largely failed and now, much to my own shame, really am past caring.

Good luck to some of the younger generation who seem more environmentally aware than oldies, I hope they succeed where my generation has failed. 

Back to more important matters....COYRs and get your finger out Mr Mayor and deliver decent access to one of your City’s major assets and facilities and one, which more than most, puts Bristol on the map. 

... and your solution?

3 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Yep, it was all hunky dory under their predecessors mind.

In regard to action on climate change, damn right it was. Remember how many properties popped up with solar panels and air source heat pumps in the first decade of this century? One of the first things the Tories did was scrap the tariffs offered to homeowners.

Andrea Leadsom was literally taken to court last year due to her inaction on air pollution, because it is killing people. 

It wasn't hunky dory but it was a damn sight better than the absolute shambles we find ourselves in now - on nearly every level. 

Just to remind us as Bristolians that the geography of our city militates against a metro system.  Although personally I think that problem could now be technologically overcome. However, even without a metro, we had a better public transport system in the 1930s with a better bus service, a tram system, and a far better suburban rail system.

All my life, I am 73, the public transport system of the city has been a blot on our city, especially when you compare Bristol to cities of similar size across Europe - to say nothing about the costs of using it.

5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Just to remind us as Bristolians that the geography of our city militates against a metro system.  Although personally I think that problem could now be technologically overcome. However, even without a metro, we had a better public transport system in the 1930s with a better bus service, a tram system, and a far better suburban rail system.

All my life, I am 73, the public transport system of the city has been a blot on our city, especially when you compare Bristol to cities of similar size across Europe - to say nothing about the costs of using it.

... and the geography of our city certainly mitigates against a tube system!

Given the last few comments re monorail etc, perhaps BS could take the lead and broaden out concerns by City fans re the transport system to a whole community initiative for better transport across the city.  Now that really would be something.

9 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Given the last few comments re monorail etc, perhaps BS could take the lead and broaden out concerns by City fans re the transport system to a whole community initiative for better transport across the city.  Now that really would be something.

I could see the potential for SL to buy and operate a fleet of electric buses to provide free transport to matches from designated, outlying car parks, for the season ticket holders of all teams under the Bristol Sport banner. 

Glad to help you spend your loose change, Steve. 

9 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I could see the potential for SL to buy and operate a fleet of electric buses to provide free transport to matches from designated, outlying car parks, for the season ticket holders of all teams under the Bristol Sport banner. 

Glad to help you spend your loose change, Steve. 

If you buy a ticket for a Brighton match, or are a season ticket holder, you have free travel to the Amex station from a range of places outside of Brighton by rail.  I live in Worthing and can travel free to Brighton and then free from Brighton to the Amex with a match ticket and return home again at no charge.

Some clubs are very forward looking!

15 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Have said the very same thing myself, I think there was too much of a sentimental attachment to Ashton Gate, we will live to regret not being able to move but some people just wont have it.

Archived