IGNORED

Right back

Rudolf Hucker

I’ve been watching City for over 55 years and during that time we’ve had a lot of very good, left backs, eg Drysdale, Bell, Scott, Brennan, Cunningham etc and now, Kelly and Dasilva. However I can’t honestly recall many equivalent right backs who were quick, classy, tough-tackling and likely ever to be in demand elsewhere. 

Sweeney is the best I’ve ever seen in a City shirt and frankly, he had all of the qualities I’ve described above plus he was as hard as nails. But that was 40 years ago. 

Paul Stevens had promise though it was unfulfilled; Llewellyn was certainly tough-tackling but not a lot else; Carey played there for a time, though out of position because he was truly a centre back and lacked pace; Orr was a fans favourite and totally committed but wasn’t quick and could never be described as elegant!; Ayling has surprised me how well he’s played there for Leeds because, though I rated him in the middle of the back four for us, again his lack of pace often let him down at right back (although it seems he’s now much improved his positional play to mask his shortcomings). I’m sure that I’ve missed others but tell me who else was worthy of note?

Hunt is a great character but I’ve been underwhelmed with his performances overall; I really thought that he was going to be considerably better than he’s proved to be. Pisano is ok and I like him but to me, he’s not really top six of the Championship standard. Wright is a centre back playing right back. 

To me right back is the weak link of our otherwise very strong and capable back four and it’s a position which we must fill going forward. Vyner or Taylor Moore may be the answer but whoever fills that role for us next season needs to hit the ground running. 

Its just curious to me that it’s the one position in which we’ve been perennially weak. 

Think you're being very harsh on Hunt there. 

Don't think he started too well, but I think he's been a lot better since coming back from his injury earlier on in the season. He's definitely one of those who's better going forward, but most full backs/wing backs seem to be that way now. 

5 assists as well, equal with Weimann, Taylor and Eliasson. 

Surprised me that Saturday was first time in his career he's given away a penalty. 

I really liked Bradley Orr - he went from being a below-average midfielder when we signed him to a very decent and thoroughly committed right back. Adam Locke was also a very good right back. Luke Ayling too, although we mostly saw him in a back three. 

Other than that Andy Llewelyn did good service for us in that position. 

There have been some shockers as well. Foster was mobile and fairly quick but that was about it. Mitchell was atrocious. And that moment when Lavin kicked the ball at a spectator at Reading summed him up. 

2 minutes ago, devoncider said:

who was our right back in the Wilson days? Did Louis play on the right to accommodate Coles/Butler as a centre half partnership?

Yes, it was Carey.

Followed by Orr, who surely counts towards this thread as he moved upwards after us.

Grant Smith was another shocker, one of the 'magnificent seven' brought in by Tinnion

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Yes, it was Carey.

Followed by Orr, who surely counts towards this thread as he moved upwards after us.

Grant Smith was another shocker, one of the 'magnificent seven' brought in by Tinnion

Wasn't Grant Smith a left winger? I remember being really excited when we signed him as he smashed it for Swindon the season before.

7 minutes ago, Diddlydonkey said:

Wasn't Grant Smith a left winger? I remember being really excited when we signed him as he smashed it for Swindon the season before.

I thought the same. Scored a beauty for us at the Mem in a pre-season friendly. That's pretty much all I can remember about him.

Kevin Amankwah was a top right back for us & kept a certain Louis Carey out of the side. Very quick, tall, athletic & good at defending & attacking.

There were strong rumours that Arsenal were going to come in for him. That unfortunate car crash happened and unfortunately that was that.  

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Tony Ford, who played for City in the 60s, was a classy right back  who formed a good partnership with left back Alec Briggs. 

Tony Ford was RB when I started watching City. He was quite tall, although back then, to me, everyone was tall! I don’t think I remember seeing him cross the halfway line in open play; it was as though he was wearing an electronic tag! He’d take the ball up to halfway then launch it towards the penalty spot! No tippy-tap passing from Tony! 

I always thought Bradley Orr was a Gary Neville type. A unflashy workmanlike player who did his job well and gave everything in a team of better footballers.

good Original post by the way I tend to agree. Hunt looks ok but I’m not convinced he is good enough for a team trying to consistently push for promotion. 

If we did let Eros go in the summer, would be good to see a young player with real potential come in to compete with Hunt. Whether one of the ones we have on the books (Vyner, Moore etc), or if they are fancied as centrebacks then sign one up.

a right footed daSilva would do the job ha 

Archived