IGNORED

Notre Dame cathedral fire (Merged)

Lanterne Rouge

• Admin

Devastating, I’m the least religious person you will ever meet, but I love the architecture of these old churches, I am just amazed at how people in the 13th century constructed such magnificent buildings.  I also love Paris, this is a huge disaster for the people of the City, as well as sad news for the rest of us.

25 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Devastating, I’m the least religious person you will ever meet, but I love the architecture of these old churches, I am just amazed at how people in the 13th century constructed such magnificent buildings.  I also love Paris, this is a huge disaster for the people of the City, as well as sad news for the rest of us.

That’s pretty much my exact thought.

Amazing really that it survived the French Revolution(s) and two World Wars only to now burn down in what appears to be an accident.

I'm popping down to have a gander at the scene today. Feels weird to be in the area of such momentous news. My sister flew to New York for a short break on the day before 9/11. Maybe my family should just refrain from taking short holidays abroad.  ?

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

amazing how often this type of things happen, the number of fires that destroy historical buildings whilst going through renovations is appalling.

It happens in this country more than people realise too -  I have a big interest in the old Victorian lunatic asylums and the amount of them that have mysteriously caught fire resulting in a listed part of the building having to be demolished is beyond coincidental. One of them - Cane Hill Asylum, Croydon  - apparently 'self combusted' from a partially flooded basement. This building was not only listed but was on the front cover of the US edition of Bowie's 'Man Who Sold The World' EP 

Not much left now...

dbman.jpg

images.jpg

Over in Cardiff at moment Whitchurch Hospital which is nearly all Grade 2 listed is sat unguarded.  Easter Holidays.. tick tock.. just waiting for the enviable.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm popping down to have a gander at the scene today. Feels weird to be in the area of such momentous news. My sister flew to New York for a short break on the day before 9/11. Maybe my family should just refrain from taking short holidays abroad.  ?

Can you please let us all know where and when you and your family holiday in future?

The news is very sad for Paris , France and the world in general because this edifice belongs to all humanity.

Fortunately there were no serious casualties , the two towers are intact and  the building, though  damaged , is still standing.

There is some damage to certain works of art but many objects and paintings were saved .

The firefighters deserve a huge ‘ thank you ‘ for their bravery and professionalism in extinguishing the fire and reducing the potential destruction.

They are heroes and risk their lives to protect us and our belongings on a daily basis .

The cathedral will have lots of money thrown at it to restore it to its former glory so if any of you feel like making a donation how about giving it to the fire services instead ?

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The news is very sad for Paris , France and the world in general because this edifice belongs to all humanity.

Fortunately there were no serious casualties , the two towers are intact and  the building, though  damaged , is still standing.

There is some damage to certain works of art but many objects and paintings were saved .

The firefighters deserve a huge ‘ thank you ‘ for their bravery and professionalism in extinguishing the fire and reducing the potential destruction.

They are heroes and risk their lives to protect us and our belongings on a daily basis .

The cathedral will have lots of money thrown at it to restore it to its former glory so if any of you feel like making a donation how about giving it to the fire services instead ?

Absolutely this. The Catholic Church are one of the worlds richest organisations. They can afford the rebuild costs. Donating to the fire service would be a great way to support them for their tremendous efforts.

10 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Truly tragic. What a shocker.

I must admit to having a hunch that something awful might happen to it one day though.  

Any news of 'the bells, the bells' yet?

Fantastic news... "The Bells, The Bells'' ARE safe...

Thankfully and amazingly the magnificent organ and pipes appear to have survived as well as did the priceless 'rose' windows and other treasures.  

Bloody miracle when you look at the raging inferno it suffered.  

• Admin
1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

Absolutely this. The Catholic Church are one of the worlds richest organisations. They can afford the rebuild costs. Donating to the fire service would be a great way to support them for their tremendous efforts.

Interesting to read, someone that was being interviewed on Sky news last night mentioned that they had been asking for donations to help with the refurb - curious as to why that is

Some guy to do with Princes Boats has donated £175m !!!! and Salma Hayek's husband has donated 100m EUR

• Admin

Just CONFIRMED by French heritage director, only ONE item of architecture inside the building has been damaged. The high alter (which was built in 1989) was damaged when the cathedral spier collapsed. 

All the 18th century styles, frescos and big organ are OK 

8 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

The cathedral (as with all churches in France) is actually owned by the state. I`m not sure why, perhaps it`s because they are a particularly avowed secular country - no symbols of religion allowed in schools and so on. I only found this out in an interview on 5live this morning and it surprised me.

13 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

The cathedral (as with all churches in France) is actually owned by the state. I`m not sure why, perhaps it`s because they are a particularly avowed secular country - no symbols of religion allowed in schools and so on. I only found this out in an interview on 5live this morning and it surprised me.

I think the French Revolution resulted in the state ownership of churches and cathedrals.  They threw out the Kings and the Church, although they invited both back several times so I am not sure when exactly Notre Dame officially became French property.

• Admin
23 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I think the French Revolution resulted in the state ownership of churches and cathedrals.  They threw out the Kings and the Church, although they invited both back several times so I am not sure when exactly Notre Dame officially became French property.

In August 1789, the State cancelled the taxing power of the Church.

The issue of church property became central to the policies of the new revolutionary government.

Declaring that all church property in France belonged to the nation, confiscations were ordered and church properties were sold at public auction.

In July 1790, the National Constituent Assembly published the Civil Constitution of the Clergy that stripped clerics of their special rights — the clergy were to be made employees of the state, elected by their parish or bishopric, and the number of bishoprics was to be reduced — and required all priests and bishops to swear an oath of fidelity to the new order or face dismissal, deportation or death.

There has just been an interesting interview with the recently retired ‘ caretaker ‘ of Notre Dame who says the following ;

There was no chance of a short circuit to the electrical installation because it was changed not so long ago.

That there are special monitors(  which record the intake of oxygen I believe) and are early detectors of a possible fire outbreak.

That there are two guards present all the time to watch over the building.

He explained that old oak is very difficult to burn and he’s very surprised by the speed that the fire took hold . 

He doesn’t want to advance any theories but is surprised how quickly the fire was called an ‘ accident ‘.

• Admin
59 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

There has just been an interesting interview with the recently retired ‘ caretaker ‘ of Notre Dame who says the following ;

There was no chance of a short circuit to the electrical installation because it was changed not so long ago.

That there are special monitors(  which record the intake of oxygen I believe) and are early detectors of a possible fire outbreak.

That there are two guards present all the time to watch over the building.

He explained that old oak is very difficult to burn and he’s very surprised by the speed that the fire took hold . 

He doesn’t want to advance any theories but is surprised how quickly the fire was called an ‘ accident ‘.

It was reported that there were two occasions the fire alarm sounded - the first was inspected and deemed a false alarm, when the second one sounded the fire was already burning

The "Old Oak" is in the supporting pillars, above that is very thin wood in the ceilings etc it was never going to take long to catch alight

Archived