IGNORED

Easter Eggs

Bristol Rob

I think everyone understands there's a markup.  But there's a markup on the ones that are sold at £1 that's good enough for other retailers.

Sticking a sleeve over it and adding 600% to the price says that the club have an insultingly low opinion of their fans, which is what people are objecting to.

This did far more harm than good and the individual responsible for it should be taken to task.

The people that say "don't buy it" have missed the point.

The people buying it aren't the ones that are going to get the negative press. The club is (rightfully) getting slated for being stupid enough to sell a £1 egg for £7, just because it's got a cardboard sleeve.

It is the responsibility of the club to illustrate to customers that the product they are buying is a standard egg/chocolate bar, with a customised cardboard sleeve. If people are complaining, then the club hasn't met that responsibility.

13 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I think everyone understands there's a markup.  But there's a markup on the ones that are sold at £1 that's good enough for other retailers.

Sticking a sleeve over it and adding 600% to the price says that the club have an insultingly low opinion of their fans, which is what people are objecting to.

This did far more harm than good and the individual responsible for it should be taken to task.

Not defending the club as I think they have got this very wrong ,but to be fair eggs sold at £1 or whatever are bought in large quantities and are probably used as "loss leaders".Buy 5 eggs for a fiver then spend maybe £100 on the family shop.

Just now, Slacker said:

Not defending the club as I think they have got this very wrong ,but to be fair eggs sold at £1 or whatever are bought in large quantities and are probably used as "loss leaders".Buy 5 eggs for a fiver then spend maybe £100 on the family shop.

Yeah, sure, I don't think people would be irate if it were a more reasonable one.

The truth is if you need to mark it up that much to make it worth the shelf space you're selling the wrong product.

16 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Exactly this.

3 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Yeah, sure, I don't think people would be irate if it were a more reasonable one.

The truth is if you need to mark it up that much to make it worth the shelf space you're selling the wrong product.

I totally agree.I would imagine the club could have added on enough to make a healthy profit and at the same time keep the price viable/attractive.Most people expect to spend a bit over the top on certain things at certain times of the year.They don't however want to feel like they are having their trousers pulled down.

Why the anger? If I put eggs on ebay for £20 will people be just as angry with me? No, they'll think I'm a **** and not buy them. 

Where's the fundamental difference?

People just love to get angry about things that aren't worth getting angry about. 

6 minutes ago, Nibor said:

4 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Exactly this.

I see they are no longer available. Must have sold out..! ???

In all seriousness, during most of the time they were available, there was a half price sale on, so the majority (if any) that sold would have cost £3.50, not £7.

Still, I think it’s a fair assumption that they won’t bother doing them next year, then I’ll look forward to the thread from some irate supporters who are complaining that they haven’t got the opportunity to buy their kids a City branded egg..! ?

3 minutes ago, Slacker said:

I totally agree.I would imagine the club could have added on enough to make a healthy profit and at the same time keep the price viable/attractive.Most people expect to spend a bit over the top on certain things at certain times of the year.They don't however want to feel like they are having their trousers pulled down.

Ohh how much is it for that service and when is the pretty blonde girl on her shift..? 

Asking for a friend. 

I’d rather the club had taken the egg out of the packaging and re -boxed it with a mug or a teddy bear, key ring or anything and sold it as that. At least the kids would have something to keep after the chocolate had gone!  I don’t blame the shop for using a Cadbury’s egg, after all we haven’t got Bristol Sport Chocolate Company, yet. But I do object to unnecessary waste that people are being charged a premium for.

Yes it might have been a nice idea, but that’s where it should have stopped. If they have to make a £6 mark up on it just to cover production costs as the run is so limited then COMMON SENSE should have told them to ditch the idea and think again. 

But hell what do I know, as some people have actually purchased the things. 

6 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

In all seriousness, during most of the time they were available, there was a half price sale on, so the majority (if any) that sold would have cost £3.50, not £7.

Still, I think it’s a fair assumption that they won’t bother doing them next year, then I’ll look forward to the thread from some irate supporters who are complaining that they haven’t got the opportunity to buy their kids a City branded egg..! ?

Just imagine if they were £3.50 all along.Higher sales and no negative press.Hopefully (doubtfully)a lesson truly learned.

7 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

People love a moan.  I've been away for a week and thought I would come on to the forum to get hyped up for tomorrow.... oh, no, the biggest and hottest topic isn't how well our playoff placed team is, nope, its Easter Egg gate. 

Typical City.... 

Only happy when we have something to moan about. 

P.s the irony of this post isn't lost on me. 

This has become a national news story. hard a few people having a moan

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

I’d rather the club had taken the egg out of the packaging and re -boxed it with a mug or a teddy bear, key ring or anything and sold it as that. At least the kids would have something to keep after the chocolate had gone!  I don’t blame the shop for using a Cadbury’s egg, after all we haven’t got Bristol Sport Chocolate Company, yet. But I do object to unnecessary waste that people are being charged a premium for.

Yes it might have been a nice idea, but that’s where it should have stopped. If they have to make a £6 mark up on it just to cover production costs as the run is so limited then COMMON SENSE should have told them to ditch the idea and think again. 

But hell what do I know, as some people have actually purchased the things. 

Nail. Head . Clang.

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

This has become a national news story. hard a few people having a moan

No publicity is bad publicity.

1 minute ago, Badger08 said:

Think says more about the nation than anything else,  if this is what causes a national meltdown. 

"Oh no, an over proceed easter egg that I don't even have to buy if I don't want to, whatever shall I do"

Jesus made less of a fuss on the cross!!! 

Yes but only because he wasn't expected to pay seven pounds for a crappy egg,or four grand for a hot cross bun or whatever.

Just now, Slacker said:

Yes but only because he wasn't expected to pay seven pounds for a crappy egg,or four grand for a hot cross bun or whatever.

He’d already had his Supper so was full perhaps? ?

20 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Check the nearest skip probably find the lot in there.

45 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Think says more about the nation than anything else,  if this is what causes a national meltdown. 

"Oh no, an over proceed easter egg that I don't even have to buy if I don't want to, whatever shall I do"

Jesus made less of a fuss on the cross!!! 

Its not quite like that.

I'm happy to pay over the odds for the eggs, cos its bristol city eggs. I dont mind paying more for that. I dont expect city to produce easter eggs.

But all they have done for their mark up is stick a bit of red cardboard around it and when you take it out it looks shit. Its no longer a bristol city egg its a creme egg.

I had no idea until it was mentioned on here.

Its a clear rip off. If i had realised at the time i wouldnt have bought them

6 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Its not quite like that.

I'm happy to pay over the odds for the eggs, cos its bristol city eggs. I dont mind paying more for that. I dont expect city to produce easter eggs.

But all they have done for their mark up is stick a bit of red cardboard around it and when you take it out it looks shit. Its no longer a bristol city egg its a creme egg.

I had no idea until it was mentioned on here.

Its a clear rip off. If i had realised at the time i wouldnt have bought them

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fimg1.picmix.com%2Foutput%2Fstamp%2Fnormal%2F7%2F2%2F2%2F5%2F1255227_a124c.gif&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.picmix.com%2Fstamp%2FPigeonDoveColombeVictoriabea-1255227&docid=gxgn_2ymP9f2lM&tbnid=Xi5cHwf1kMqUDM%3A&vet=1&w=236&h=302&hl=fr&gsawvi=1&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim 

The issue is they put a wrapper around an existing box, which is just lazy and some one needs to know it. But it does maximize revenues, again, on this occasion to the detriment of the club with bad media coverage.

For my tuppence if you are going to buy chocolate from a football club you have to expect a mark up for club funding and most would know or assume this going in....But the mark up on this occasion was a bit rich (see what I did there)

4 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Why the anger? If I put eggs on ebay for £20 will people be just as angry with me? No, they'll think I'm a **** and not buy them. 

Where's the fundamental difference?

People just love to get angry about things that aren't worth getting angry about. 

Your argument is a little circular, you agree if you did it people would think you’re a **** but we’re not allowed to think BS are?  Where’s the fundamental difference?

I don’t care if people think you’re a **** as I don’t know you but people know I’m a City supporter and therefore negative publicity is not something I like.

It’s not a biggy imo but I thought BS were there to bring a professional aspect to these kind of things over us, the rugby and basketball.  This seems a little amateur hour.

12 minutes ago, mjd said:

Could you give me your source for this assumption , as it might be in the quiz on Saturday, thanks in advance.

Fish and dinosaurs both preceded avian species in the order of evolution and both lay/laid eggs. Therefore the egg came  before the chicken

2 hours ago, RumRed said:

Your argument is a little circular, you agree if you did it people would think you’re a **** but we’re not allowed to think BS are?  Where’s the fundamental difference?

I don’t care if people think you’re a **** as I don’t know you but people know I’m a City supporter and therefore negative publicity is not something I like.

It’s not a biggy imo but I thought BS were there to bring a professional aspect to these kind of things over us, the rugby and basketball.  This seems a little amateur hour.

I’ve spoken to plenty of people at work today, and brought this topic up to gage the general feeling about it. 

A few were Rovers fans, even more were completely indifferent about football, and every single one thought it was ridiculous that an issue was being made of it. 

Archived