IGNORED

Wayne Hennessey nazi salute

nickolas

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This is up there with Richard Gasquet, who got cleared for cocaine use, by successfully arguing he kissed a girl in a nightclub who had taken coke and so it transferred into his system. ?

? Occupational hazard?

37 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

And he’s got history....

96AFF125-CB4F-48F0-84AA-C74C44E02DD8.jpeg

You joke, but genuinely, a part of his defence was pictures of himself making similar gestures during matches.

The decision was made by a three person panel. Two believed that it was plausible he hadn't made a nazi salute based on photographic evidence of him making similar gestures in matches, and his apparently lack of basic knowledge of history. The third found him guilty because he believed the gesture was the only plausible explanation.

18 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This is up there with Richard Gasquet, who got cleared for cocaine use, by successfully arguing he kissed a girl in a nightclub who had taken coke and so it transferred into his system. ?

That wasn’t actually as it seemed though, they tested Gasquet and found that the levels of cocaine in his blood were far below that of what it would have been if he had took it voluntarily. 

I seem to remember further testing showed he had “less than a grain of salt” in his system.

This is just pure moronic however, I bet Hennessey thinks Schindler’s list is a film about shopping? 

7 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

Simple question as this always bugs me but

The Nazi's lasted for around 10 years while the Roman empire lasted for many hundreds and that was what the Nazi salute is based on ( the Roman salute). So if I do the salute why is it aways immediately assumes I mean the Nazi and not Roman?

Because the 'Nazi regime is at the forefront of our psyche....still very much tangible without the diluting affects of passing time  

9 hours ago, 054123 said:

Sums up the bbc at the time!

Society, not just the BBC. 

Before we all get self righteous. A fair proportion of the population during the 1970s had suffered hugely at the hands of the Germans. They would, understandably, feel they had every right to mock and make fun. 

Once you've lost family members, fought in a war or watched your home city being completely ruined, maybe its easier to make a fair judgement. 

The great sadness of my life is, thanks to Nazism, I never saw my lovely medieval Bristol, but instead witnessed the building of the horrific Broadmead

We must never forget the lessons of  Nazism. Never forget or else we may be forced to live it all again. Ignorance is no defence

16 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

The Nazi's lasted for around 10 years while the Roman empire lasted for many hundreds and that was what the Nazi salute is based on ( the Roman salute). So if I do the salute why is it aways immediately assumes I mean the Nazi and not Roman?

A Roman salute has a clenched fist and after  the arm is extended, you put your fist on your heart. A Nazi salute has the palm flat and no chest beating is involved.

17 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

The simple matter of the greatest human atrocities ever committed on people may have something to do with it. Was this question for real?

The salute also takes on greater significance when you consider that the rise of the far right and intolerance to freedoms - literal - and ideological - throughout the US & Europe - may represent one of the greatest threats to a way of life/freedoms we enjoy and fought for against Hitler's regime. Imagery like this has an impact, a drip, drip, drip effect so that even the smallest of instances help build a tolerance to fascism. You just need to read much of the hate filled bile on line to know that the lesson is being forgotten.

He should have been reprimanded.

29 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

The great sadness of my life is, thanks to Nazism, I never saw my lovely medieval Bristol, but instead witnessed the building of the horrific Broadmead

We must never forget the lessons of  Nazism. Never forget or else we may be forced to live it all again. Ignorance is no defence

The irony of this thread, for me, is that many (rightly) are bemused how this bloke is so ignorant of history, but I barely meet a single Bristolian who has any conception of what Bristol was or looked like before the war. 

Most Bristolians may know what a Nazi salute is, but they know naff all about the history of the city they live in. 

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

I remember seeing photos of pre war Bristol for the first time and being stunned by the monstrosity that is there now, i know it was supposed to be forward planning in  the 60s, but what a mess. Munster in Germany rebuilt the facades as they were pre war and it still looks beautiful but modernised the back of the shop so to speak

On 17/04/2019 at 13:26, Ivorguy said:

It is a crying shame that the authorities never attempted to rebuild Bristol as before, instead plumping for the concrete monstrosities. 

Final paragraph sums it up perfectly Ivor. With the rise in populist politics we must be ever vigilant, lest the likes of the Nazis ever return to power. 

15 minutes ago, Icelandic Clap said:

It is a crying shame that the authorities never attempted to rebuild Bristol as before, instead plumping for the concrete monstrosities. 

Final paragraph sums it up perfectly Ivor. With the rise in populist politics we must be ever vigilant, lest the likes of the Nazis ever return to power. 

I've got many hundreds of photos of Bristol immediately after the war. 

Plenty WAS still standing, however, our council chose to finish the job the Nazis started. 

Temple Meads to Bristol Bridge. Lewins Mead. Redcliffe. The docks. Much could have been saved. The destruction of building was still going on in the 1970 and 1980s - buildings in and around Baldwin Street for example. 

They could have rebuilt the bomb damaged tram system too, except too many saw it as an opportunity to remove it altogether. A crying shame. Just the start of Bristol's terrible relationship with public transport. 

On 17/04/2019 at 07:12, CotswoldRed said:

Society, not just the BBC. 

Before we all get self righteous. A fair proportion of the population during the 1970s had suffered hugely at the hands of the Germans. They would, understandably, feel they had every right to mock and make fun. 

Once you've lost family members, fought in a war or watched your home city being completely ruined, maybe its easier to make a fair judgement. 

Funnily enough my dad fought the Germans and my mum and her family lived in St Philips through the blitz(es) and they had a healthy respect for their "cousins" and dislike of the French although they still loved to take the piss out of the Krauts.

nazi's different gravy of course and the captured SS would definitely get treated differently to the ordinary Wehrmacht apparently although of course they all did the same salute so was it a nazi salute or just a German one of the time that is always associated with the nazis ?

Storm in a teacup in my view and if all things nazi were still genuinely deemed so offensive you wouldn't be able to buy such crap on UK ebay  etc.

As for the far right crackpots in the UK who may use such a salute, they are nowhere near as influential or dangerous as other groups who enjoy freedom of speech and legal aid.

23 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Funnily enough my dad fought the Germans and my mum and her family lived in St Philips through the blitz(es) and they had a healthy respect for their "cousins" and dislike of the French although they still loved to take the piss out of the Krauts.

nazi's different gravy of course and the captured SS would definitely get treated differently to the ordinary Wehrmacht apparently although of course they all did the same salute so was it a nazi salute or just a German one of the time that is always associated with the nazis ?

Storm in a teacup in my view and if all things nazi were still genuinely deemed so offensive you wouldn't be able to buy such crap on UK ebay  etc.

As for the far right crackpots in the UK who may use such a salute, they are nowhere near as influential or dangerous as other groups who enjoy freedom of speech and legal aid.

Bang on mate. Storm in a tea cup indeed. If people really want to be offended by nazism they should start looking at large corporations that profited from the holocaust. Protest by not driving certain cars, not using certain cameras, computors, pharmaceuticals, electrical equipment, insurance companies and wearing certain tidy clobber!

Not worrying about a stupid gesture made by a dumb arse footballer! 

I rather favour the Mel Brookes approach to Nazis and Nazi-ism. Laugh at them. Turn them into a joke. I know very well what the Nazis did. Many of my family members fought, one uncle died. Many on this forum will be able to say the same. I know what was done was beyond horror, beyond human.

Remember was was done and be sure no one else wants to copy them. Laugh at the warped b*stards. 

My Great Grandfather an Army veteran of South Africa and India in the 1890s was bombed out his home in Bedminster, whilst his younger brother, having served in the First World War was an ARP warden in Clifton. My Grandfather worked out at Filton airfield as a carpenter and among the more interesting projects was involved in constructing dummy airfields for the Germans to waste their bombs on, he finished his career involved with Concorde.

Archived