Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

nickolas

Wayne Hennessey nazi salute

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47946382

1 - he didnt know what the nazi salute was

2 - he was catching the attention of a waiter. 

What an absolute shambles of an investigation and eventual clearance of the Palace GK!

i know footballers can be regarded as perhaps not the brightest but what pathetic excuses. 

Mustve had the same committee that committed Diedhiou for a zero-evidence offence! 🙄

• Like 5

Not really the brightest is he?

Hennessey said "from the outset" of the hearing that he did not know what a Nazi salute was.

"Improbable as that may seem to those of us of an older generation, we do not reject that assertion as untrue," said the panel.

"In fact, when cross-examined about this Mr Hennessey displayed a very considerable - one might even say lamentable - degree of ignorance about anything to do with Hitler, Fascism and the Nazi regime.

"Regrettable though it may be that anyone should be unaware of so important a part of our own and world history, we do not feel we should therefore find he was not telling the truth about this.

"All we would say (at the risk of sounding patronising) is that Mr Hennessey would be well advised to familiarise himself with events which continue to have great significance to those who live in a free country."

6 minutes ago, simon uk said:

No way!!!!! The photographer was named jordan bussolini according to that link!!!

… most portrait photographers are naturally face-ists I presume.

There is no way anyone in the western world does not know what a nazi salute is.   There's been plenty of coverage of the far right in recent times that's been all over the internet, zeig heiling away to their hearts content.

Just admit you did something stupid, and say sorry.  

Pathetic.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

There is no way anyone in the western world does not know what a nazi salute is.   There's been plenty of coverage of the far right in recent times that's been all over the internet, zeig heiling away to their hearts content.

Pathetic.

If you didn’t know what it was you wouldn’t actually do it would you? In sense you just wouldn’t randomly do those hand gestures together. Quite how they bought his excuse is beyond me 

• Like 4

How the **** he can make those excuses shows what an absolute ignorant disgrace he is, not only as a footballer but as a human being.  Absolute bollocks he didn't know what Nazi salute was and then to have that gutless excuse that he was trying to get someones attention? Really?  REALLY?  Looking at that photo - who the **** gets the attention of someone like that!!!!!!!!  Absolute gutless ******* idiot.  He should have been a man and owned up to it and taken the punishment like a man and not like someone who thinks they can make up some bullshit excuse and get away with it.

And as for the FA Panel - what a bunch of spinless *****. 

• Like 2

Simple question as this always bugs me but

The Nazi's lasted for around 10 years while the Roman empire lasted for many hundreds and that was what the Nazi salute is based on ( the Roman salute). So if I do the salute why is it aways immediately assumes I mean the Nazi and not Roman?

Is he not doing an impersonation of Hitler?

is that not allowed? If it’s racist, against whom is he discriminating?

I’d  happily make fun of Adolf Hitler. Being ridiculed or mocked seems the least it deserves.

Edited by 054123
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

If he's that thick then he'd be a danger to himself with a knife and fork. 

I think the issue is he just can’t say ‘I was doing a silly hitler impression’.

You can’t do impressions.

Its racist.

Edited by 054123
  • Like 1
  • Aubergine 1

Not sure what that excuse was all about but it was a ridiculous charge anyway.  There's no way the FA can know whether it was intentional (even if it likely was), and they certainly can't judge the context either.

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

Does anyone, other than the FA, believe that Hennessey was telling the truth? I certainly do not. Utter shambles are the FA.

I think the issue is he just can’t say ‘I was doing a silly hitler impression’.

Its racist.

• Aubergine 1

If your going to clasp your hand to your face to yell out, you'd naturally have it vertically, not across your top lip. Also, when playing football, he doesn't use his hands to his face when shouting, so why would he in a less noisy environment? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

The Nazi's lasted for around 10 years while the Roman empire lasted for many hundreds and that was what the Nazi salute is based on ( the Roman salute). So if I do the salute why is it aways immediately assumes I mean the Nazi and not Roman?

Ah, the Paolo Di Canio defence.  The Nazis own it now, like it or not.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chucky said:

If your going to clasp your hand to your face to yell out, you'd naturally have it vertically, not across your top lip. Also, when playing football, he doesn't use his hands to his face when shouting, so why would he in a less noisy environment? 

Its racist.

• Aubergine 1

1 hour ago, RedSkin said:

Pathetic.

Its racist.

• Aubergine 1

2 hours ago, nickolas said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47946382

1 - he didnt know what the nazi salute was

2 - he was catching the attention of a waiter. 

What an absolute shambles of an investigation and eventual clearance of the Palace GK!

i know footballers can be regarded as perhaps not the brightest but what pathetic excuses. 

Mustve had the same committee that committed Diedhiou for a zero-evidence offence! 🙄

Further proof that the governing bodies are absolutely ridiculous....

Probably the most pathetic thing I've ever heard 

To be honest with you ...I don't see what the fuss is all about ...but to actually believe that he doesn't.know what a nazi salute is is quite frankly, one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, harrys said:

If he wasn’t doing a Hitler salute what was he doing? Cannot believe he doesn’t know what it symbolises 

Now I’m really confused, they better hurry up and release a list of who you can and cannot make stupid impressions of.

Edited by 054123

If he had half a brain and wanted to fabricate a story, he could have said he was doing a Basil Fawlty impression. 

But he's probably never heard of Basil Fawlty. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

If he had half a brain and wanted to fabricate a story, he could have said he was doing a Basil Fawlty impression. 

Or Freddie Starr

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Did John Cleese ever apologies, probably not, yet another white wash.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

He only mentioned it once, though. And he got away with it. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

He only mentioned it once, though. And he got away with it. 

Sums up the bbc at the time!

This is up there with Richard Gasquet, who got cleared for cocaine use, by successfully arguing he kissed a girl in a nightclub who had taken coke and so it transferred into his system. 🙃

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This is up there with Richard Gasquet, who got cleared for cocaine use, by successfully arguing he kissed a girl in a nightclub who had taken coke and so it transferred into his system. 🙃

😂 Occupational hazard?

37 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

And he’s got history....

96AFF125-CB4F-48F0-84AA-C74C44E02DD8.jpeg

You joke, but genuinely, a part of his defence was pictures of himself making similar gestures during matches.

The decision was made by a three person panel. Two believed that it was plausible he hadn't made a nazi salute based on photographic evidence of him making similar gestures in matches, and his apparently lack of basic knowledge of history. The third found him guilty because he believed the gesture was the only plausible explanation.

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Its racist.

Christ, we get it, for the 3rd time. 

1 minute ago, Akira said:

Christ, we get it, for the 3rd time. 

I was so close......but it’s bed time.

18 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That wasn’t actually as it seemed though, they tested Gasquet and found that the levels of cocaine in his blood were far below that of what it would have been if he had took it voluntarily. 

I seem to remember further testing showed he had “less than a grain of salt” in his system.

This is just pure moronic however, I bet Hennessey thinks Schindler’s list is a film about shopping? 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

Because the 'Nazi regime is at the forefront of our psyche....still very much tangible without the diluting affects of passing time  

Edited by Robert the bruce

8 hours ago, 054123 said:

Its racist.

Hogans Heroes have a bit to answer for then.

9 hours ago, 054123 said:

He had concussion at the time don't you remember the plot ?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, 054123 said:

Sums up the bbc at the time!

Society, not just the BBC. 

Before we all get self righteous. A fair proportion of the population during the 1970s had suffered hugely at the hands of the Germans. They would, understandably, feel they had every right to mock and make fun. 

Once you've lost family members, fought in a war or watched your home city being completely ruined, maybe its easier to make a fair judgement. 

Ultimately I don’t really see the big deal but was he trying to get the attention of the waiter or the person taking the photo? Article seems to contradict itself!

• Like 1

The great sadness of my life is, thanks to Nazism, I never saw my lovely medieval Bristol, but instead witnessed the building of the horrific Broadmead

We must never forget the lessons of  Nazism. Never forget or else we may be forced to live it all again. Ignorance is no defence

• Like 4

16 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

A Roman salute has a clenched fist and after  the arm is extended, you put your fist on your heart. A Nazi salute has the palm flat and no chest beating is involved.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

The simple matter of the greatest human atrocities ever committed on people may have something to do with it. Was this question for real?

The salute also takes on greater significance when you consider that the rise of the far right and intolerance to freedoms - literal - and ideological - throughout the US & Europe - may represent one of the greatest threats to a way of life/freedoms we enjoy and fought for against Hitler's regime. Imagery like this has an impact, a drip, drip, drip effect so that even the smallest of instances help build a tolerance to fascism. You just need to read much of the hate filled bile on line to know that the lesson is being forgotten.

He should have been reprimanded.

Edited by Yozzarian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

The great sadness of my life is, thanks to Nazism, I never saw my lovely medieval Bristol, but instead witnessed the building of the horrific Broadmead

We must never forget the lessons of  Nazism. Never forget or else we may be forced to live it all again. Ignorance is no defence

The irony of this thread, for me, is that many (rightly) are bemused how this bloke is so ignorant of history, but I barely meet a single Bristolian who has any conception of what Bristol was or looked like before the war. 

Most Bristolians may know what a Nazi salute is, but they know naff all about the history of the city they live in. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sturny said:

That’s how he shouts, there’s pics of him doing that in games 

I couldn't find any pictures of him shouting whilst holding his had to his face.