IGNORED

Balon G'urt

Dolman_Stand

Balon G'urt  

226 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Messi is the more talented footballer imo, Ronaldo is the greater athlete. 

That being said I've always held the mantra that we should just enjoy them both while they are around instead of picking one. Two outstanding footballers who are up there with the greatest of all time

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

George Best was the greatest player of all time.  

Can you even imagine what he could of done in today’s football with Lovely pitches and semi-contact rules!?

Personally too young to ever see Best play, the points about pitches and lack of contact in the modern game are valid but would his off pitch antics ever allow him to make it in todays game where even the current City players live a very professional lifestyle to compete in the 2nd tier?

6 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

George Best was the greatest player of all time.  

Can you even imagine what he could of done in today’s football with Lovely pitches and semi-contact rules!?

Too young to see him play too, but when drawing comparisons to old players, they have to be considered within their era. 

Given the opportunity in today's game, I'm sure George Best would have been right up there. But I can't see him getting much change out of a Kompany, Ramos or Webdini if he's still half cut from the night before. It's now a professional sport to the last detail - all fine margins. 

Its like comparing rugby players. Most of which from before the professional game would be shitting ribs after one hit from your average player these days. 

Still they could only beat what was in front of them, which is what Messi and Ronaldo continue to do. Think we're spoilt to see them both at the same time - their records are just outrageous. Ronaldo edges it for me for his range of goals, but the bloke is a total helmet. 

15 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Pele :

3 World Cups

77 goals in 92 appeatanxrs for Brazil.

650 goals in 694 for Santos and Cosmos.

The Brazil team that Pele played in was far greater whem compared to its rivals at the time that any of the Argentine sides Messi has played in which have been competitive at best. 

29 minutes ago, harrys said:

Messi is far and away the greatest ever and yes I did see George Best play

That ain’t comparing like for like - the state of pitches, interpretations of rules etc, have all changed. Messi wouldn’t have survived back in the day, yet Best would have absolutely thrived in today’s watered-down version of football ...

45 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Pele :

3 World Cups

77 goals in 92 appeatanxrs for Brazil.

650 goals in 694 for Santos and Cosmos.

and all with a limp dick!

56 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Personally too young to ever see Best play, the points about pitches and lack of contact in the modern game are valid but would his off pitch antics ever allow him to make it in todays game where even the current City players live a very professional lifestyle to compete in the 2nd tier?

Again fair point. But the culture was different. Osgood Chivers Marsh all great players but post war 60s 70s Football was all birds beer and fags andthat would apply to a lot more than the players mentioned  

If George was playing today the chances are he would be part of the existing culture. He was then just a little more cultured than others! 

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That ain’t comparing like for like - the state of pitches, interpretations of rules etc, have all changed. Messi wouldn’t have survived back in the day, yet Best would have absolutely thrived in today’s watered-down version of football ...

It's all relative, and Messi is up against far more athletic and technically accomplished defenders than Best ever was. I've seen a lot of Best clips and agree he was a magician, but there's a radical difference between scoring a bunch of lovely individual goals over a few seasons, and doing it week in week out over 12 years.

59 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Too young to see him play too, but when drawing comparisons to old players, they have to be considered within their era. 

Given the opportunity in today's game, I'm sure George Best would have been right up there. But I can't see him getting much change out of a Kompany, Ramos or Webdini if he's still half cut from the night before. It's now a professional sport to the last detail - all fine margins. 

Its like comparing rugby players. Most of which from before the professional game would be shitting ribs after one hit from your average player these days. 

Still they could only beat what was in front of them, which is what Messi and Ronaldo continue to do. Think we're spoilt to see them both at the same time - their records are just outrageous. Ronaldo edges it for me for his range of goals, but the bloke is a total helmet. 

See my comment above in response to Dolman Stand

11 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

It's all relative, and Messi is up against far more athletic and technically accomplished defenders than Best ever was. I've seen a lot of Best clips and agree he was a magician, but there's a radical difference between scoring a bunch of lovely individual goals over a few seasons, and doing it week in week out over 12 years.

“A few seasons” ??!!! Best played 705 games - and Messi has played for longer than 12 years (15 years) yet he’s only played 6 games more than Best at this point ... and Best had zero protection from defenders kicking lumps out of him....whilst Messi has enjoyed flourishing in an era when every slight touch is an infringement...

33 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why wouldn’t he?

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

“A few seasons” ??!!! Best played 705 games - and Messi has played for longer than 12 years (15 years) yet he’s only played 6 games more than Best at this point ... and Best had zero protection from defenders kicking lumps out of him....whilst Messi has enjoyed flourishing in an era when every slight touch is an infringement...

All about opinions, unfortunately i’m Old enough to remember Pele, Best, Cruyff and all the Mavericks of the 70’s but no-one comes close to Messi, my dear old dad used to say that Puskas was far and away the best player he ever saw (after big John of course)

Archived