IGNORED

Lack of penalties.

Ian Crabbe

Anyone have any idea why we don’t seem to get many penalties,only 2 this season so far and only 4 last season,is it because we don’t get in the box very much(certainly not true) or are we unlucky,or are the refs looking the other way,other teams seem to get very soft ones as happened on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Ian Crabbe said:

Anyone have any idea why we don’t seem to get many penalties,only 2 this season so far and only 4 last season,is it because we don’t get in the box very much(certainly not true) or are we unlucky,or are the refs looking the other way,other teams seem to get very soft ones as happened on Saturday.

Similar reason we've had 5 goals disallowed this season which were questionable? Similar reason Tettey wasn't sent off at AG in December when he merited a second yellow at least twice? In total it is 6 disallowed but Taylor's was offside v Wigan so no problem with that.

Our luck levels are not the best. That said when Pisano's was disallowed v QPR in February, we did get a penalty right at the end which not everyone would give so for once it worked out alright.

10 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Refs hate Weimann for some reason 

Not as much as linesmen! I think he's a very clever player; makes some fabulous runs, brilliantly timed. Too quick thinking for his team-mates very often (how many times do we miss those runs) but also too quick thinking for linesmen too. 

How many have we had given against us?  We've certainly been hard done by at Villa but I don't buy the conspiracy theories that refs have it in for us.

We typically only play with one striker, and him being a big target-man type with a reputation for falling over easily and rarely getting fouls given his way all over the pitch.  We also don't have many quick players that run at the opposition or get behind them too often.  How many one-on-ones have we scored this season with a player clean through with just the keeper to beat?

There is actually a lack of penalties in our matches, for or against us. We have conceded the least (joint) in the league at 4 so far this season. We have been awarded just two, the second lowest number in the league. The only team awarded fewer is Bolton.

I don't believe it's all luck. Neither do I believe it is all 'big club bias' or whatever you want to call it going against us as a (relatively) 'small' club in the league. For reference, Leeds United have also only been awarded 2 penalties, and Aston Villa have conceded 15, the (joint) most in the league.

Why have we conceded so few? - You would think it's down to the fact that generally, our defence is excellent. One of the best in the division by many markers, and additionally, when you consider the playing style of our central defenders, neither strikes you as the 'rash challenge' type, both are composed and have excellent positional sense.

Why have we been awarded so few? - Playing style, I think. As an observer both home and away, I recall most often shouting for a penalty this season when Diedhiou is being manhandled in the box with the ball in the air. Whilst these types of penalty shouts should hold no less merit than rash challenges or handball decisions, I think it's generally known that referees tend to, more often than not, overlook these. They don't happen on the ball, so perhaps they're not seen all the time, but also, it takes a braver official to give this kinda of decision than it does to award a penalty for something that is in line of sight and clear to all that a decision needs to be made. How often do we see our wingers or No.10 driving at players in the box? Not particularly often I would argue, our style involves a lot of crosses from wide positions, or passes through the middle.

Taking Crystal Palace as an example from the premier league, they have had the most penalties this season, and got the most last season also. Their style very much involves driving at players in the box, tricky players like Zaha, Townsend, Meyer, Ayew are all good at that. Eliasson, Paterson, COD could probably all do this more often, one would presume they don't do it by instruction, generally, it's not part of the playing style we're going for.

The reason we don’t get many is because our players tend to stay up longer not going down at the slightest sneeze ?. Also I believe that we have no driving experts currently in our ranks. Unlike some teams  I could mention !!! Who knows Fam May get lucky ? on Friday 

17 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

The reason we don’t get many is because our players tend to stay up longer not going down at the slightest sneeze ?. Also I believe that we have no driving experts currently in our ranks. Unlike some teams  I could mention !!! Who knows Fam May get lucky ? on Friday 

Didn't Matty Taylor use to get penalties dished out like candy once ?

On 17/04/2019 at 10:43, Coxy27 said:

There is actually a lack of penalties in our matches, for or against us. We have conceded the least (joint) in the league at 4 so far this season. We have been awarded just two, the second lowest number in the league. The only team awarded fewer is Bolton.

I don't believe it's all luck. Neither do I believe it is all 'big club bias' or whatever you want to call it going against us as a (relatively) 'small' club in the league. For reference, Leeds United have also only been awarded 2 penalties, and Aston Villa have conceded 15, the (joint) most in the league.

Why have we conceded so few? - You would think it's down to the fact that generally, our defence is excellent. One of the best in the division by many markers, and additionally, when you consider the playing style of our central defenders, neither strikes you as the 'rash challenge' type, both are composed and have excellent positional sense.

Why have we been awarded so few? - Playing style, I think. As an observer both home and away, I recall most often shouting for a penalty this season when Diedhiou is being manhandled in the box with the ball in the air. Whilst these types of penalty shouts should hold no less merit than rash challenges or handball decisions, I think it's generally known that referees tend to, more often than not, overlook these. They don't happen on the ball, so perhaps they're not seen all the time, but also, it takes a braver official to give this kinda of decision than it does to award a penalty for something that is in line of sight and clear to all that a decision needs to be made. How often do we see our wingers or No.10 driving at players in the box? Not particularly often I would argue, our style involves a lot of crosses from wide positions, or passes through the middle.

Taking Crystal Palace as an example from the premier league, they have had the most penalties this season, and got the most last season also. Their style very much involves driving at players in the box, tricky players like Zaha, Townsend, Meyer, Ayew are all good at that. Eliasson, Paterson, COD could probably all do this more often, one would presume they don't do it by instruction, generally, it's not part of the playing style we're going for.

The reason Palace get so many penalties is because Zaha cheats

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You thought the pen against Rangers was nailed on?! It was never a pen ...

I didn't say it's a nailed on penalty.

It was a soft one, but can see why it was given.

Comparative to the one given against us Saturday though and it's not in the same ballpark.

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I didn't say it's a nailed on penalty.

It was a soft one, but can see why it was given.

Comparative to the one given against us Saturday though and it's not in the same ballpark.

Apologies, when you said “it wasn’t even dubious” I thought you were saying it was a definite pen....

Combination of factors I think.

Firstly, as others have said, the way we play does not give us the best chance of gaining penalties as we don;t tend to have players driving into the box. Players like O'dowdy and Elliason run at and go past defenders, but told to do this mostly out wide .

It would be interesting to see whether our penalty count would increase if Palmer had more game time as he is a player that runs at defenders on the edge of the penalty area and this is something I think we miss from our style of play.

The second reason is that we ted to be too nice and when tackled, instead of throwing themselves tenth ground, our players tend to try ad stay on their feet. It should;t make a difference, as a foul should still be a foul, but I think referees are too easily influenced by the reaction of the player fouled ( unless of course it's Bailey Wright!)

On 17/04/2019 at 13:14, hertsexile said:

We had Tammy . :whistle2:

50 minutes ago, harrys said:

The reason Palace get so many penalties is because Zaha cheats

He’s now probably taken over Ashley Young as the PL’s worst for his antics. Yet you listen to all the pundits talk about Zaha and how hard he’s got things being the most fouled player in the League......

There’s a reason for that ?

14 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

He’s now probably taken over Ashley Young as the PL’s worst for his antics. Yet you listen to all the pundits talk about Zaha and how hard he’s got things being the most fouled player in the League......

There’s a reason for that ?

The guy is a cheat and he's good at it, we’ve been the victim of his cheating in the past

1 hour ago, harrys said:

The guy is a cheat and he's good at it, we’ve been the victim of his cheating in the past

Must be a Palace thing, remember Scott Sinclair diving to try and win a penalty (another) for them at AG in the Play Off 2nd leg.

Archived