IGNORED

Champions League Streams

Unan

29 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think they might struggle too. Everything was geared to winning the quadruple and now that’s gone so how much fight and interest will they have now what they are aiming for is ‘average’ to them? 

As for VAR I do get how it can kill the moment but I suppose if the correct decision is the outcome it can only be right. Last night without VAR an offside goal would have won the game, that wouldn’t have been right. 

The tension can be in the waiting for the decision and then celebrating or not. Rugby do this, only football fans will do it better I hope. Nothing can take away the spontaneity of a goal celebration in real time though, but as we’ve recently been robbed of decisions I’m sure the fair thing is to get it right in games.

I'm not so sure. At least now they can just focus on the league where as Liverpool have the distraction of Barca on the horizon. Liverpool's best chance now might be the CL.

2 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Given Pep was referencing a quintuple the other week, if Liverpool and Watford manage to do their bit, it will be hilarious if they are left with that prestigious Charity Shield-League Cup double.

In fairness to pep he has also been saying that the quad is impossible since about January. 

It's mental to think that liverpool or City could potentially end up on 95+ points and NOT win the league!

As much as both teams upset/annoy people for whatever reasons... They are both incredible sides.

10 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

My only concern is that it neutralises celebrations. Nobody can truly celebrate a goal in the moment until everything has been checked. 

There is that but I still prefer it ending in a correct decision. 

17 minutes ago, Super said:

Bizzarely... I'm not sure i do.

There's a part of football which allows me to feel robbed. To blame someone else Etc

The same part of football allows me to laugh when things go our way.

It also allows me to engage with other people who have a different opinion. 

Whilst i understand the need for VAR (especially with the money that is on the line) I'll miss that part of football when it's gone.

21 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

The law is that handball must be deliberate for a free kick to be awarded, end of. 

In Fifa's Laws of the Game under Law 12, Fouls and Misconduct, it is stated that a free-kick or penalty is awarded if a player “handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)”. ... Any goal scored after striking the arm of an attacking player would be disallowed

Then you will just get players kicking the ball at players arms, it would be ridiculous.

That’s as maybe, but for VAR to work IMO you can’t have subjective laws, trying to decide if it was deliberate or not by watching videos is not clear cut, and therefore a bit pointless.  

11 hours ago, cider-manc said:

There's a part of football which allows me to feel robbed. To blame someone else Etc

Whilst i understand the need for VAR (especially with the money that is on the line) I'll miss that part of football when it's gone.

VAR is only a thing because of a number of high profile awful decisions.

It's being brought in to eradicate them, but it's treating the symptoms, not the cause. Which is a decline in refereeing standards.

11 hours ago, cider-manc said:

So if VAR could be used the in the championship eventually, play off final we're robbed of going up because of an offside goal, would you rather be robbed or promoted? I'd rather the right decision.

16 minutes ago, hodge said:

So if VAR could be used the in the championship eventually, play off final we're robbed of going up because of an offside goal, would you rather be robbed or promoted? I'd rather the right decision.

Obviously i wouldnt want City to be robbed in any circumstances. 

But I can't help but feel VAR will eventually errode some of the emotional elements that are part of the reasons i love this simple game in the first place.

I know it's daft - just how i feel.

43 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

VAR is only a thing because of a number of high profile awful decisions.

It's being brought in to eradicate them, but it's treating the symptoms, not the cause. Which is a decline in refereeing standards.

I agree.

And It's not the marginal decisions that are the problem. If last nights goal had stood the general opinion would have been "he was offside but it was so difficult to tell in real time".

Whereas Azplilcuetas goal against cardiff the other week was an unbelievablely bad decision.

If the officals were getting ones like that right then there would be less calls/need for VAR.

13 hours ago, Super said:

I agree that the correct decision is what we want. 

For me, not so much to ensure the refs mistakes are cleared up, but to address the unfairness of cheating. 

52 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

I agree.

And It's not the marginal decisions that are the problem. If last nights goal had stood the general opinion would have been "he was offside but it was so difficult to tell in real time".

Whereas Azplilcuetas goal against cardiff the other week was an unbelievablely bad decision.

If the officals were getting ones like that right then there would be less calls/need for VAR.

There has always been good and  bad decisions, mistakes have always been made  by officials. But players make far more mistakes than officials, also players cheat, officials do not. 

I think our officials are bloody brilliant, it’s the hardest job on the football pitch, these officials are ‘now’ under intense scrutiny because of the amount of TV games and cameras. A linesman gets one look at an incident, the referee gets one look from ‘his angle’ at any incident. TV viewers get about 10 views from different camera angles. Most bad decisions aren’t picked up until the armchair experts have seen at least 2-3 replays!!!

I’ve a son who is a referee at a decent level, he’s still young and potentially could go a long way, people who constantly criticise referees don’t realise the constant scrutinising of every decision they make, not just from players and coaches ( some who don’t even know the laws of the game, seriously) but from the accessors who are severely strict. 

Everything a referee does, from his pre match talk and warm up, to his positioning at corners and even how he. blows his whistle are marked. It really is incredible how in depth everything they do is looked at and reflected in their marks. 

It amazes me how so many on forums like this slag off referees,  but they themselves ( this isn’t aimed at you cider-manc ) have never attempted to referee a game and never will. I just wish some would try it, they would then actually understand what it entails.  

Being an official in ANY football match is one of the hardest things to do, doing it at the highest level with the hatred and criticism that goes with it ,must be horrendous at times. 

Trouble I have with VAR is its suppose to be a clear and obvious mistake. 

Aguero is offside by 1cm that isn’t clear and obvious, but if spurs had cleared the ball and Man City had scored 3 seconds later he wouldn’t be offside for it’s the next phase.  Same as with Salah Liverpool first goal against Southampton, surely offside is offside no matter where it is in the goal. Player has gained an advantage they shouldn’t have had.

Personally it’s either all in the build up to a goal or none at all. Ref must see every angle possible not one after on TV ref didn’t see Llorente goal.

Should just be left as it was goal line technology and that’s it. Some teams get to use it in FA Cup and some don’t how’s that fair.

Archived