Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Seneca the Younger

Champions League Streams

Recommended Posts

Just now, AppyDAZE said:

VAR warning for next season..

Do not celebrate too early

In fairness the decisions were spot on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TomF said:

One of the greatest CL games ever. I expect Man City will bounce back and stuff them 5-0 on sat 

Probably a dismal 0-0 is in the offing, to get near that game tonight would be an amazing achievement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those pointy sky celebrations from Mr Sterling were just starting to get on my tits.. well played VAR tonight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Probably a dismal 0-0 is in the offing, to get near that game tonight would be an amazing achievement.

0-0 probably means they’ll go from quadruple to double in 5 days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TomF said:

0-0 probably means they’ll go from quadruple to double in 5 days. 

They are already claiming a double, Charity Shield and League Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Rio Ferdinand claiming you can see the ripple of Lorientes skin. Can I get one of the Tv's that he's watching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely brushed off Llorente's arm 100%, whether that's enough for deliberate handball Im not sure.

 

I was more surprised Sterling's 'goal was disallowed'. If the ball deflects off the defender from an attackers pass it can still be offside so I would have expected the opposite to be true i.e it only deflected off Silva, the pass came from the defender so not offside. What do I know.

 

Edited by cidercity1987
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, miser said:

Watching Rio Ferdinand claiming you can see the ripple of Lorientes skin. Can I get one of the Tv's that he's watching.

You could see it yes. Still not handball though

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, miser said:

Watching Rio Ferdinand claiming you can see the ripple of Lorientes skin. Can I get one of the Tv's that he's watching.

The skin does ripple on his upper arm with a very slight impact from the ball, personally I think it would of been very harsh to disallow it but the fact is is that it hit  his arm before his hip 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, miser said:

Watching Rio Ferdinand claiming you can see the ripple of Lorientes skin. Can I get one of the Tv's that he's watching.

For me deffo hand ball, you can see a slight deviation of the ball on both replays, plus what Ferdinand brought up, about the ripple of the skin on the arm, concurrent with something striking it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, harrys said:

The skin does ripple on his upper arm with a very slight impact from the ball, personally I think it would of been very harsh to disallow it but the fact is is that it hit  his arm before his hip 

I'm off to Specsavers 👀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On another note why does Trippier feel the need to put his finger to his lips to shush the City fans when their third goal went in, I remember he did it down the City fans many years ago (for Burnley?) the bloke has no class

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Never a deliberate handball , glad the goal was given right decision.

Whether it’s deliberate or not is irrelevant, it’s very rare a player would ever deliberately handball the ball in the area

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may well have touched his arm, absolutely zero intent though, he probably couldn’t even see the ball as Kompany was going to head it directly in front of him. 

I hate VAR, I really worry for our game, where is it all going to end,  it concerns me that next we will have cameras deciding on fouls and robot cameras running the line. It’s a sport played and officiated by humans, not a bloody tv programme. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

The referee didn’t get the view that showed it hit his arm, if VAR doesn’t show every angle how can it be used.

This. I can see a massive balls up down the line when the pitch referee gets involved with a fine line decision.

Anyone who has the pressure of making a straight yes or no with the noise of the crowd, managers, players in their ear etc, plus the way those replays are carried out with multiple rewinds and forwards, just don't think you can make a coherent decision on those grounds.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, harrys said:

Whether it’s deliberate or not is irrelevant, it’s very rare a player would ever deliberately handball the ball in the area

It’s not irrelevant Harry’s, law 12 of the game tells you that handball HAS to be a deliberate act.

Edited by Portland Bill
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Never a deliberate handball , glad the goal was given right decision.

Don't know the law on handball in the box, but surely if a goal is scored on the trajectory of the ball changing from hitting the arm in this case, can't think why it wouldn't be hand ball. Can someone answer the law on this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Don't know the law on handball in the box, but surely if a goal is scored on the trajectory of the ball changing from hitting the arm in this case, can't think why it wouldn't be hand ball. Can someone answer the law on this

At the moment the law is interpreted in a way that the goal is fine, but the law is changing from next season to any handball, whether accidental or deliberate, that leads to a goal is a foul. As a result, if this situation happens next season the goal would have been ruled out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Don't know the law on handball in the box, but surely if a goal is scored on the trajectory of the ball changing from hitting the arm in this case, can't think why it wouldn't be hand ball. Can someone answer the law on this

This is where for VAR purposes they should just make it black or white, it hit a hand then it’s handball, take away the whole deliberate debate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, miser said:

Watching Rio Ferdinand claiming you can see the ripple of Lorientes skin. Can I get one of the Tv's that he's watching.

Easy to see in 4k. Correct decision though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve never forgotten De Bruyne’s comments after the second leg at Ashton Gate. No class at all, no mention of City’s great fight in both legs, just a job done. Well it may have been mate but it was worth the wait to see the job just done on you tonight !! Get in!!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Don't know the law on handball in the box, but surely if a goal is scored on the trajectory of the ball changing from hitting the arm in this case, can't think why it wouldn't be hand ball. Can someone answer the law on this

The law is that handball must be deliberate for a free kick to be awarded, end of. 

In Fifa's Laws of the Game under Law 12, Fouls and Misconduct, it is stated that a free-kick or penalty is awarded if a player “handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)”. ... Any goal scored after striking the arm of an attacking player would be disallowed

2 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

This is where for VAR purposes they should just make it black or white, it hit a hand then it’s handball, take away the whole deliberate debate

Then you will just get players kicking the ball at players arms, it would be ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, TomF said:

One of the greatest CL games ever. I expect Man City will bounce back and stuff them 5-0 on sat 

I think they’ll struggle to pick themselves back up after that, especially after the pure elation thinking they’d done it with an injury time winner in a quality game only to come crashing back to earth shortly afterwards with it being disallowed, could see how much that hurt the players at FT, now we’ll see how good Pep really is....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing most people overlooked when they were all suggesting that manchester City could win all four trophies.... is that there is a really big chance liverpool could actually win the two biggest.

Two cracking semi finals coming up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

It may well have touched his arm, absolutely zero intent though, he probably couldn’t even see the ball as Kompany was going to head it directly in front of him. 

I hate VAR, I really worry for our game, where is it all going to end,  it concerns me that next we will have cameras deciding on fouls and robot cameras running the line. It’s a sport played and officiated by humans, not a bloody tv programme. 

 

I didn't think it even hit his arm ( well not beyond reasonable doubt). So no probs with the decision.

disagree with you on VAR, it's (albeit not quite the same thing) made cricket even more dramatic.all it does is iron out the clearly wrong decisions and leave the interpretative ones; the latter much like normal ref decisions. So we get rid of the stinkers but still keeps debatable ones, and hence one of the things we all like talking about as fans remains?!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

I didn't think it even hit his arm ( well not beyond reasonable doubt). So no probs with the decision.

disagree with you on VAR, it's (albeit not quite the same thing) made cricket even more dramatic.all it does is iron out the clearly wrong decisions and leave the interpretative ones; the latter much like normal ref decisions. So we get rid of the stinkers but still keeps debatable ones, and hence one of the things we all like talking about as fans remains?!

My only concern is that it neutralises celebrations. Nobody can truly celebrate a goal in the moment until everything has been checked. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, BCFC101 said:

At the moment the law is interpreted in a way that the goal is fine, but the law is changing from next season to any handball, whether accidental or deliberate, that leads to a goal is a foul. As a result, if this situation happens next season the goal would have been ruled out.

Surely that only applies if an attacker “handles” the ball?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

It’s not irrelevant Harry’s, law 12 of the game tells you that handball HAS to be a deliberate act.

The wording of the law needs re-writing Bill, it is not very often a player would deliberately handle the ball in the box because he knows the consequences, if it would of been more obvious last night that the ball struck his arm then it would of been disallowed (despite it being obviously unintentional) the ref let the goal stand solely by the fact that he wasn’t even sure it struck his arm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cider-manc said:

The thing most people overlooked when they were all suggesting that manchester City could win all four trophies.... is that there is a really big chance liverpool could actually win the two biggest.

Two cracking semi finals coming up.

Given Pep was referencing a quintuple the other week, if Liverpool and Watford manage to do their bit, it will be hilarious if they are left with that prestigious Charity Shield-League Cup double.

Edited by One Team In Keynsham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cider-manc said:

The thing most people overlooked when they were all suggesting that manchester City could win all four trophies.... is that there is a really big chance liverpool could actually win the two biggest.

Two cracking semi finals coming up.

Under the radar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

I think they’ll struggle to pick themselves back up after that, especially after the pure elation thinking they’d done it with an injury time winner in a quality game only to come crashing back to earth shortly afterwards with it being disallowed, could see how much that hurt the players at FT, now we’ll see how good Pep really is....

I think they might struggle too. Everything was geared to winning the quadruple and now that’s gone so how much fight and interest will they have now what they are aiming for is ‘average’ to them? 

As for VAR I do get how it can kill the moment but I suppose if the correct decision is the outcome it can only be right. Last night without VAR an offside goal would have won the game, that wouldn’t have been right. 

The tension can be in the waiting for the decision and then celebrating or not. Rugby do this, only football fans will do it better I hope. Nothing can take away the spontaneity of a goal celebration in real time though, but as we’ve recently been robbed of decisions I’m sure the fair thing is to get it right in games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Surely that only applies if an attacker “handles” the ball?

Yeah, I didn't specify but it does only apply to attackers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think they might struggle too. Everything was geared to winning the quadruple and now that’s gone so how much fight and interest will they have now what they are aiming for is ‘average’ to them? 

As for VAR I do get how it can kill the moment but I suppose if the correct decision is the outcome it can only be right. Last night without VAR an offside goal would have won the game, that wouldn’t have been right. 

The tension can be in the waiting for the decision and then celebrating or not. Rugby do this, only football fans will do it better I hope. Nothing can take away the spontaneity of a goal celebration in real time though, but as we’ve recently been robbed of decisions I’m sure the fair thing is to get it right in games.

I'm not so sure. At least now they can just focus on the league where as Liverpool have the distraction of Barca on the horizon. Liverpool's best chance now might be the CL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Given Pep was referencing a quintuple the other week, if Liverpool and Watford manage to do their bit, it will be hilarious if they are left with that prestigious Charity Shield-League Cup double.

In fairness to pep he has also been saying that the quad is impossible since about January. 

It's mental to think that liverpool or City could potentially end up on 95+ points and NOT win the league!

As much as both teams upset/annoy people for whatever reasons... They are both incredible sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

My only concern is that it neutralises celebrations. Nobody can truly celebrate a goal in the moment until everything has been checked. 

Fair point. That is also the same as DRSin cricket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

My only concern is that it neutralises celebrations. Nobody can truly celebrate a goal in the moment until everything has been checked. 

There is that but I still prefer it ending in a correct decision. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Super said:

There is that but I still prefer it ending in a correct decision. 

Bizzarely... I'm not sure i do.

There's a part of football which allows me to feel robbed. To blame someone else Etc

The same part of football allows me to laugh when things go our way.

It also allows me to engage with other people who have a different opinion. 

Whilst i understand the need for VAR (especially with the money that is on the line) I'll miss that part of football when it's gone.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

The law is that handball must be deliberate for a free kick to be awarded, end of. 

In Fifa's Laws of the Game under Law 12, Fouls and Misconduct, it is stated that a free-kick or penalty is awarded if a player “handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)”. ... Any goal scored after striking the arm of an attacking player would be disallowed

Then you will just get players kicking the ball at players arms, it would be ridiculous.

That’s as maybe, but for VAR to work IMO you can’t have subjective laws, trying to decide if it was deliberate or not by watching videos is not clear cut, and therefore a bit pointless.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Bizzarely... I'm not sure i do.

There's a part of football which allows me to feel robbed. To blame someone else Etc

The same part of football allows me to laugh when things go our way.

It also allows me to engage with other people who have a different opinion. 

Whilst i understand the need for VAR (especially with the money that is on the line) I'll miss that part of football when it's gone.

VAR is only a thing because of a number of high profile awful decisions.

It's being brought in to eradicate them, but it's treating the symptoms, not the cause. Which is a decline in refereeing standards.

 

  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...