IGNORED

Father/Son rule.

bpexile

I've just been reading about Scotty Murray & Louis Carey having success in the sunday league & that Scottys son played in the same side

Can anyone please tell me:

In "Australian Rules" football clubs have a father/son rule where a club where the father played at has first chance to sign the son if deemed good enough, does the same rule apply in England, would be interesting to find out.

In "Australian Rules" football clubs have a father/son rule where the club the father played at has first chance to sign the son if deemed good enough, does the same rule apply in England, would be interesting to find out.

18 minutes ago, bpexile said:

I've just been reading about Scotty Murray & Louis Carey having success in the sunday league & that Scottys son played in the same side

In "Australian Rules" football clubs have a father/son rule where a club where the father played at has first chance to sign the son if deemed good enough, does the same rule apply in England, would be interesting to find out.

In "Australian Rules" football clubs have a father/son rule where the club the father played at has first chance to sign the son if deemed good enough, does the same rule apply in England, would be interesting to find out.

No it doesn’t. 

However, there are situations where managers have sons at the clubs they manage e.g. it is the case currently at Real Madrid where Zidane’s son is their number 2 keeper and of course it happened at BCFC with the Johnson’s.

In the case of Zidane, I believe his son joined the academy when his dad was playing there.

I read today that the Juventus U 10’s had a young lad called Ronaldo playing for them who scored 7 goals in the first half of their game last weekend - you can guess who his father is.

37 minutes ago, bpexile said:

I guess it de facto applies in reality. 

What’s the cost of putting a youngster in to the academy v goodwill with manager/ player? Next to nil in reality, and if dad can do it, son’s DNA probably enables him to and with professional training and dad at home spurring them and offering outside training,  you would presume it’s a much safer bet than plucking some kid from Ashton Boys who’s dad is a backseat driver. 

I reckon any son of a manager is in reality guaranteed a school boy contract, probably further along. If the kid is shit and eggs in wrong basket, that’s shit awful parenting. 

12 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

No it doesn’t. 

However, there are situations where managers have sons at the clubs they manage e.g. it is the case currently at Real Madrid where Zidane’s son is their number 2 keeper and of course it happened at BCFC with the Johnson’s.

In the case of Zidane, I believe his son joined the academy when his dad was playing there.

I read today that the Juventus U 10’s had a young lad called Ronaldo playing for them who scored 7 goals in the first half of their game last weekend - you can guess who his father is.

Lionel Messi?

6 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

No it doesn’t. 

Bas Savage ?

8 hours ago, bpexile said:

.....a father/son rule where a club where the father played at has first chance to sign the son if deemed good enough, does the same rule apply in England, would be interesting to find out.

No that rule doesn't even apply to the National team...football, cricket, athletics, cycling...

At City I can think of Terry Cooper, Joe Jordan and obviously GJ who all had their sons on the books - with varying degrees of success! 

7 hours ago, 29AR said:

I reckon any son of a manager is in reality guaranteed a school boy contract, probably further along. If the kid is shit and eggs in wrong basket, that’s shit awful parenting.

8 hours ago, bpexile said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Pulis

Theres no rule, but the Pulis’s seem to have believed there was.

Young Anthony signed for Dads teams four times, barely playing a game. It’s posdible Dad employed him under slightly false pretences 

Not like TP to do something dodgy...

7 hours ago, 29AR said:

I guess it de facto applies in reality. 

What’s the cost of putting a youngster in to the academy v goodwill with manager/ player? Next to nil in reality, and if dad can do it, son’s DNA probably enables him to and with professional training and dad at home spurring them and offering outside training,  you would presume it’s a much safer bet than plucking some kid from Ashton Boys who’s dad is a backseat driver. 

I think it’s the mentality more than anything. You see it with a lot of amateurs and semi pros that get picked up by full time clubs. The self discipline and the day in day out training sessions are a difficult step, youngsters that have parents in the game have a better understanding of that. 

Of course there are exceptions, comedian Alan Carr tells of being made school captain based on his father being a ex pro and Manager, but he was completely useless and had no interest.

10 hours ago, bpexile said:

Carn Pear

Why would any club have rights over another person who never signedany kind of deal with them? Seems ridiculous this is a thing in any sport!

Other examples of a kid going through the youth system where his Dad was though, Peter and Kasper Schmeichel at Manchester City. Alex and Darren Ferguson at Manchester United.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

On an aside Eidur Gudjohnson made his Icelandic international debut at 17, coming on as sub for his dad!!!  

His dad was a grandparent at 33.  Eidur blamed it on the long dark nights / days. 

And the lack of gud johnnies, son......

10 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

At City I can think of Terry Cooper, Joe Jordan and obviously GJ who all had their sons on the books - with varying degrees of success! 

Branching out; Trevor Tainton's son played rugby for Bristol.

Archived