IGNORED

Bristol City v Reading Match Day 42

Mihai

2 minutes ago, winsaw said:

That was such a defensive line up at the start today we just got what we deserved, we let a poor Reading side get there confidence and start to play, we start with the line up that ends the game we win 2 nil today, that's the story of our season Johnson not got the guts to go for it 

Johnson has the guts . We lost many matches last season because he went gung ho with his formations or subs .

This season has been more measured and with a handful of games to go we are still in with a shout so perhaps you could credit the coach for what he has achieved and not for what he may not ? 

Same again. Surge and sink.
I too remember Div 1 and hanging on my raidio to know if we still had a club when we crashed out of the top tier.  
There is a huge difference between thriving in the Premiership and doing OK in the Championship. It would need massively more investment, and involve much more risk.
SL is a businessman. He has a good porfolio of sports clubs in Bristol Sport, built on the back of Bristol City, but not depending on it. Why take risks? Make the investment to keep City competitive where they are, but don't let them put the whole venture at risk by shooting too high.
For some the club is a business, for others an absolute passion. 

48 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Ho hum. Played worse this season and really a game we created enough to win. Poor poor final balls all game letting us down, Pack looks played out, and Hunt not able to cross for toffee all game. Disappointing result, but cannot say I am surprised. 

Problem is, Pack has a baby now so won't be getting any sleep

Thought the game screamed out for kasey palmer against a team with two banks of four someone who could carry the ball through the middle and break their ranks instead of passing across the pitch from side to side ending up with a floated cross into the box where a six foot six goalkeepers waiting along with seven six foot plus defenders mind boggling tactics

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

Best player til he went off.

I like him, but he gave up their two best chances. I thought Walsh looked like the player we have needed for a while. I’d like to see Smith, Walsh and Brownhill in a MF 3. I think Pack is due a rest, shame we can’t for a while.

All things consider that was a crap result and all too predictable. Puts  huge pressure on each of our last games now, as we probably need to win 3 of the 4 to make the playoffs. Luckily if we do manage to squeeze in there we don’t have to play any of the bottom 6.

We were very average today . .Despite the midday kick off I thought it was a decent atmosphere.

Lost opportunity again at home.

The referee was an absolute numpty.????

I was impressed with their keeper.Super kicking and looked very confident .

on the plus side I enjoyed the cheddar valley in the wedlock’s bar

p.s jack hunt learn how to cross a ball

happy Easter everyone

11 minutes ago, Victory Park Reds said:

We were very average today . .Despite the midday kick off I thought it was a decent atmosphere.

Lost opportunity again at home.

The referee was an absolute numpty.????

I was impressed with their keeper.Super kicking and looked very confident .

on the plus side I enjoyed the cheddar valley in the wedlock’s bar

p.s jack hunt learn how to cross a ball

happy Easter everyone

Arsenal's Kalas.

26 year old on loan from the Gunners.

He played in the cup game for Arsenal against Reading that ended 7-5 and got a bollocking for getting an assist. He booted the ball upfield and set up a goal, but was told off because long balls weren't "the Arsenal way".

Another lacklustre and frustrating home performance. We simply didn’t play well enough to beat a well organised and tenacious Reading side. First half was ok and we were unlucky not to score when it was headed off the line. 2nd half we just fizzled out and lacked creativity and quality. It was all too comfortable for their defence.  In the last part of the game they looked more dangerous than us. 

People seem to forget this it Bristol city, January we needed a strike partner for Fammy, SL told LJ we have one and Semenyo was recalled.  LJ  Must have been furious!

First chance LJ had he started  Semenyo out of position and out of his depth, we have not seen him since - point proving perhaps but not to the good of the team!

Fammy alone up front is not the answer, he cost 5.5 mill so he has to start!  We know that from our first six games but we can and do win without him.  

We manage 2 brilliant wins after the international break when Fammy gets the support he needs and Weimann shines playing in position, not happening any more is it? 

Our midfield has improved but the main defensive midfielder is currently not producing the quality he is capable of.

Paterson spends almost the whole season in the starting 11 and contributes F all because he refuses to tackle and bottles it when the going gets tough, the love seems to have cooled for the moment, but there’s always another game.

Are we going to make the playoffs? If we do are we good enough to succeed?  I am not going to call it but i’m Not holding my breath!

Let’s hope our analyst Coach makes the right calls in the next couple of weeks! 2008 seems such a long time ago, but I don’t want us to repeat the events of the last 10 years - we can and must do better!

COYR

7 hours ago, Yipikiaye said:

We dont appear to have the quality to rip these teams apart like we should be doing . When teams turn up at the gate and try to play to win we do them but in fairness readings counter attacking football got a point today . Dont like the formation were playing at home 

Doesn't actually work like that at this level this season a lot of the time.

Go look at bottom 3rd sides and their results on the road...often a lot closer than you'd assume.

Regardless, 2 points dropped today. Bit of a must win- why no Palmer to run at the defence?

Admittedly the early horror injury to Smith restricted our sub potential but then you need to think outside the box.

Reading were dogged opponents. Tight, countered well. We could have won it but maybe not deservedly.

Regardless, 2 points dropped for sure.

7 hours ago, JBFC II said:

It's pretty obvious tbf. 

We don't have anyone with the quality to unlock a defense who stays tight and gives us no room around the penalty area. 

Better sides are more open as they feel more confident of getting wins, and away from home sides go for it more. 

BR was good at that

On 19/04/2019 at 14:45, Major Isewater said:

Johnson has the guts . We lost many matches last season because he went gung ho with his formations or subs .

This season has been more measured and with a handful of games to go we are still in with a shout so perhaps you could credit the coach for what he has achieved and not for what he may not ? 

Your last sentence is true from one point of view.

However from an alternative perspective, it could be said, assuming we do not win promotion, that we have spurned two very good opportunities in the last two years, to win our first visit to the top tier in forty odd years.

When I see, Boro, Villa, WBA, struggling to become runaway leaders leaving Norwich, Sheff U and Leeds to scrap for the two automatic spots, I believe that should have been us if it wasn't for the fact that our home form is almost relegation standard. And again it tells me that our HC is still not up to scratch.

On 19/04/2019 at 14:30, JBFC II said:

It's pretty obvious tbf. 

We don’t have anyone with the quality to unlock a defense who stays tight and gives us no room around the penalty area. 

I really think Liam Walsh could do that, he just needs a big dose of confidence and the knowledge that our management team really believes in him. He also needs a proper run in the team - I posted a montage video, of his passing ability whilst with us, on a couple of other threads, he can really see a pass. He has proper football vision - I just hope he doesn’t dissolve into the background without being given a real chance. ‘Bit part’ cameos won’t help him. I’ve got very high hopes for him and Morrell ...

Archived