IGNORED

Pack

The Nest Egg

The bloke needs a rest. Give him a bit of time to spend with his family, and start Walsh, with Morrell coming off the bench.

His forward balls were poor at best, he seemed to be a yard off the pace, and ultimately just didn't produce what we know he can do. I'm not really in the position to speculate why this has happened, but the signs are there for us all to see when he takes to the pitch. I know there's been a few calls on here to sell him, and I don't agree with that. I do worry however that Johnson is overworking him and as a result we seem to be very wasteful in the final third. Obviously this isn't all Marlon's fault but he's definitely a key driver of this.

Overall Marlon has been a great player for this club but recently he just hasn't been there. Really poor at Villa with his discipline and wastefulness. Started every league game this season and very obviously needs a rest. Morrell on BCTV was chirping a lot that he hasn't had enough  playing time (in a good humoured and tactful fashion). We should give it to him.

7 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

The bloke needs a rest. Give him a bit of time to spend with his family, and start Walsh, with Morrell coming off the bench.

His forward balls were poor at best, he seemed to be a yard off the pace, and ultimately just didn't produce what we know he can do. I'm not really in the position to speculate why this has happened, but the signs are there for us all to see when he takes to the pitch. I know there's been a few calls on here to sell him, and I don't agree with that. I do worry however that Johnson is overworking him and as a result we seem to be very wasteful in the final third. Obviously this isn't all Marlon's fault but he's definitely a key driver of this.

Overall Marlon has been a great player for this club but recently he just hasn't been there. Really poor at Villa with his discipline and wastefulness. Started every league game this season and very obviously needs a rest. Morrell on BCTV was chirping a lot that he hasn't had enough  playing time (in a good humoured and tactful fashion). We should give it to him.

Do Walsh/Morrell match the characteristics required for what Marlon does? Perhaps 4 at the back and move Webster into DM, having said that if Korey is crocked again one of LW or JM will probably need to make up the rest of the midfield

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree but I wouldn't put it down to tiredness. He's always very slow. I'm still struggling to see this brilliant passer of the ball I keep reading about on here.

He can be, usually in a more advanced position is when I've seen it which contradicts him being the one to pick it up deep. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Agree but I wouldn't put it down to tiredness. He's always very slow. I'm still struggling to see this brilliant passer of the ball I keep reading about on here.

Certainly struggled to see a pass from him today. Truly poor. 

He had a poor game today.

But for most of the season he's been pretty good, in a side firmly in the playoff hunt. 

I'm only mentioning this because his improvement with us generally goes unnoticed. He joined from Cheltenham for 75k and has been a key* player for 90+% of the time.

*As in consistently selected for the starting XI regardless of manager and formation.

No he needs to go. Johnson didn't even have him in the side when he was manager first year or so but luck was on packs side we ran out of centre midfield players and havent bought one all season because we are cheap so we stuck with him because he is also cheap. No wonder he doesnt have a song sang after being at the club for 5 years(i know he has a small tune but no one sings it)

29 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

No he needs to go. Johnson didn't even have him in the side when he was manager first year or so but luck was on packs side we ran out of centre midfield players and havent bought one all season because we are cheap so we stuck with him because he is also cheap. No wonder he doesnt have a song sang after being at the club for 5 years(i know he has a small tune but no one sings it)

Christ. What a whiner you are. Pack has been up and down this season, but the way you dismiss him is pathetic

Packs wife had a baby last week - I’m sure the kids whinging hasn’t helped his preparation. However Packs new baby’s whinges are not a patch on yours

I’m always amazed that Pack is the first to be lambasted. 

Lets take the first half today. I thought it was his most energetic performance for a long time. He saw plenty of the ball, recycled it well, looked numerous times for his little reverse ball into the forwards, won numerous tackles and generally had a pretty imperious first half and was probably the most outstanding player of that 45 mins on both teams. 

He made one overhit pass on about 42 mins and the crowd went nuts on him (well certainly around me they did anyway). 

However, 2nd half he looked tired and it was a contrast to his first 45. So I can see why he gets a little bit of stick but over the course of the 90 mins he was far from our weakest link. Hunt was terrible. Da Silva likewise. Both had awful delivery when in great positions today. Brownhill was pretty non-existent aside from the goal. Diedhiou offered nowt. Weimann ran about lots but produced nothing of quality. 

But of course, it’s always Pack who gets the blame, despite doing everything very well in the first half. 

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I think those that think Pack is good enough for our first team aren’t adapting their thinking. We are not a mid/lower table team, or certainly don’t have aspirations to be. Pack is that quality of player and we need better to push on.

Many better DMs in this division 

Pack is already one of the better midfielders in the division though so you’ve embarrassed yourself there.

46 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’m always amazed that Pack is the first to be lambasted. 

Lets take the first half today. I thought it was his most energetic performance for a long time. He saw plenty of the ball, recycled it well, looked numerous times for his little reverse ball into the forwards, won numerous tackles and generally had a pretty imperious first half and was probably the most outstanding player of that 45 mins on both teams. 

He made one overhit pass on about 42 mins and the crowd went nuts on him (well certainly around me they did anyway). 

However, 2nd half he looked tired and it was a contrast to his first 45. So I can see why he gets a little bit of stick but over the course of the 90 mins he was far from our weakest link. Hunt was terrible. Da Silva likewise. Both had awful delivery when in great positions today. Brownhill was pretty non-existent aside from the goal. Diedhiou offered nowt. Weimann ran about lots but produced nothing of quality. 

But of course, it’s always Pack who gets the blame, despite doing everything very well in the first half. 

The most outstanding player? Are you his dad, he was woeful and offered nothing

3 hours ago, Super said:

Needs a rest? Not long had 18 days off!

His wife has just had a baby less than a week ago, even the most organised find a newborn’s demands can affect just about everything, sleep included. 

But saying that he was well off today I agree, probably would have been subbed if not for the fact we lost Korey. I don’t think the plan was for him to play all game somehow.

4 minutes ago, harrys said:

The most outstanding player? Are you his dad, he was woeful and offered nothing

I specifically said “in the first half”. 

I agree that 2nd half he wasn’t to hot (but then, who was?). But 1st half Pack didn’t put a foot wrong and dominated the midfield. 

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

I specifically said “in the first half”. 

I agree that 2nd half he wasn’t to hot (but then, who was?). But 1st half Pack didn’t put a foot wrong and dominated the midfield. 

He had Korey to cover him for 2/3rds of the first half tbf. Different team then. 

15 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Pack is already one of the better midfielders in the division though so you’ve embarrassed yourself there.

Haha. No he isn’t! Wouldn’t be in my top 25 midfielders I reckon.

Probably not in top 8 DMs. We need better.

He does the simple things well but doesn’t control a game, can’t make a decisive pass and struggles in tight possession.

Mid/lower table Championship midfielder

As we improve, certain players need to be left behind or more to back up players in squad. 

1 minute ago, lenred said:

He had Korey to cover him for 2/3rds of the first half tbf. Different team then. 

Which is what Korey was in the team to do. 

That’s why football is all about partnerships. Pack & Smith complement each other well. It’s no surprise that Packs game faded when Smith wasn’t there, as Walsh does nothing to help his midfield partner out. 

Just now, Harry said:

Which is what Korey was in the team to do. 

That’s why football is all about partnerships. Pack & Smith complement each other well. It’s no surprise that Packs game faded when Smith wasn’t there, as Walsh does nothing to help his midfield partner out. 

Smith isn’t there to prop Pack up. He’s experienced enough to not have to use Smith as a crutch but was a completely different player once he went off.  He’s supposed to be a leader but falls short I’m afraid.  Not slagging him but he’s just not good enough. We all have our limits.  Packs is lower Champ / top league 1. No shame in that. 

Packs first half was woeful, passing weight way off, slow and a hell of a lot of passes put players under pressure, 2nd half his passing and reading of the game was better but still very slow.  This is the first season I have seen Marlon in a good light but he is slipping again and becoming the midfield you don’t want to have to rely on!

Archived