IGNORED

Pack

The Nest Egg

22 minutes ago, harrys said:

The most outstanding player? Are you his dad, he was woeful and offered nothing

I’m sure Pack himself would hold his hand up and admit he had a poor game today. The poor guy just couldn’t find a simple pass. Could be down to having a new baby - any new parent will tell you just how demanding that is.........

Generally he’s very solid but today was simply an off day for him, it happens.......

7 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

So which 25 midfielders in the Champ would you have ahead of Pack?

Tryball

Vranic

Norwood

Phillips

Klich 

Johansen 

Hourihane

McGinn

Clayton

Mount

Johnson 

King

Pearson

Johnson (Daniel)

Fer

Colback

Allen

Scowen

Baker

That is 19 definitely better that I have seen play a fair few times. Many others I’ve not seen enough to judge completely and would be unfair for me to put in that list.

18 minutes ago, lenred said:

Smith isn’t there to prop Pack up. He’s experienced enough to not have to use Smith as a crutch but was a completely different player once he went off.  He’s supposed to be a leader but falls short I’m afraid.  Not slagging him but he’s just not good enough. We all have our limits.  Packs is lower Champ / top league 1. No shame in that. 

Good lord man, what are you talking about? Who said anything about Smith propping him up. I said it’s about partnerships. Successful football is built on them. Pack & Smith complement each other well in a way that Walsh doesn’t. 

So if Packs limit is top end league 1, which of our regular players is responsible for two consecutive top half champ finishes. Is it all the others except Pack? 

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

Good lord man, what are you talking about? Who said anything about Smith propping him up. I said it’s about partnerships. Successful football is built on them. Pack & Smith complement each other well in a way that Walsh doesn’t. 

So if Packs limit is top end league 1, which of our regular players is responsible for two consecutive top half champ finishes. Is it all the others except Pack? 

I’ve told you what I’m talking about, ‘man’.  He’s not good enough - in my very humble opinion. A player challenging for the play offs in the Championship should not have to rely on whoever his partner is to be able to play simple through balls (not just aimlessly try and dink it over their defence without even looking),  not try and play no look passes when it’s nowhere near on. He should be able to make simple tackles, to win balls in midfield.  He didn’t today. He was poor. 

Like I said I’m not, or certainly don’t wish, to give the impression that I’m specifically blaming him for today but he didn’t help. But the thread is about him, hence my penneth worth. I personally don’t think he’s good enough if we want to progress.  

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

Pack has been good enough. He isn’t now. Players decline later in their career

Whilst I'm ready to have this post disliked and I don't necessarily agree that he was - but statistically Pack was one of our better players today.  His passing was generally accurate (69 out of 79), he won 5 out of 5 headers, had 3 shots (2 of which were blocked), made 3 tackles and had 3 interceptions.  I thought his through balls were poor (and I'd imagine the 10 misplaced passes were mostly that), and, like many in the second half, he seemed to be over-hitting passes.

The main problem for me was our shape from the start and having too many defensive players in the starting 11.  We put out a team to dominate possession (and did that) but unfortunately left most of our creative players either on the bench or not even in the squad.  As a result we had a lot of the ball and little in terms of quality shots or balls into forwards.

Like I said, I'm not saying I think he was great today but this thread is ridiculous.  Pack's been one of our best players for years now and is a key reason we've become a top 8 Championship team.

2 hours ago, Beni71 said:

Contrary to opinion I thought he kept us moving in midfield. Don’t think an advanced Brownhill helped his cause today 

Think the opposite. He shouldn't be relying on brownhill in midfield and Josh was the only player making runs in the channels for the full backs.

16 minutes ago, RedDave said:

He's 28, not 40...

In reality he should be hitting his peak, so that post is complete rubbish

Although I do agree with you that centre midfield is a position we need to look to strengthen 

13 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Later in their career ? He’s 28 , he had an average game today but him and Brownhill have done pretty well in what has been whatever happens a good season.

You are entitled to your opinion , god you never stop giving it but get some perspective 

39 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Tryball

Vranic

Norwood

Phillips

Klich 

Johansen 

Hourihane

McGinn

Clayton

Mount

Johnson 

King

Pearson

Johnson (Daniel)

Fer

Colback

Allen

Scowen

Baker

That is 19 definitely better that I have seen play a fair few times. Many others I’ve not seen enough to judge completely and would be unfair for me to put in that list.

Jack Colback ?

I rest my case M’Lud

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I’m always amazed that Pack is the first to be lambasted. 

Lets take the first half today. I thought it was his most energetic performance for a long time. He saw plenty of the ball, recycled it well, looked numerous times for his little reverse ball into the forwards, won numerous tackles and generally had a pretty imperious first half and was probably the most outstanding player of that 45 mins on both teams. 

He made one overhit pass on about 42 mins and the crowd went nuts on him (well certainly around me they did anyway). 

However, 2nd half he looked tired and it was a contrast to his first 45. So I can see why he gets a little bit of stick but over the course of the 90 mins he was far from our weakest link. Hunt was terrible. Da Silva likewise. Both had awful delivery when in great positions today. Brownhill was pretty non-existent aside from the goal. Diedhiou offered nowt. Weimann ran about lots but produced nothing of quality. 

But of course, it’s always Pack who gets the blame, despite doing everything very well in the first half. 

Nailed it. 

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

I don't know to be honest, but I don't think he's 'declining' as @RedDave but it 

Sorry that was supposed to be rhetorical.  This is Pack's peak so far.  Thread makes it sound like he's an old premier league midfielder who's on the slide.

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Haha 

He’s had treacle on his boots for about three months now. You should watch closer i reckons 

To be fair, a high energy running game just isn't what marlon pack does. 

What he does (dictating the play in a deep lying role) he does very well, probably one of the top players in the league at that. 

Is he the sort of player who could lead us in the premier league? I'm not sure but he does lots of things very well and is undervalued by many on here imo

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Plays a crucial part in an unfancied team who are 7th in the Championship. No, YOU watch more

If we want top four then we must improve. To do that we need a few more players. Weakest players in our best XI is Pack.  If we sign someone better than Pack(listed many on this thread) then we will improve. 

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

To be fair, a high energy running game just isn't what marlon pack does. 

What he does (dictating the play in a deep lying role) he does very well, probably one of the top players in the league at that. 

Is he the sort of player who could lead us in the premier league? I'm not sure but he does lots of things very well and is undervalued by many on here imo

Yes it isn’t his game. Not his fault just fact. Some people on here can’t see the wood for the trees. Blinded by his years of service 

We need better

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

If we want top four then we must improve. To do that we need a few more players. Weakest players in our best XI is Pack.  If we sign someone better than Pack(listed many on this thread) then we will improve. 

Agreed you always want better, and if someone better would come here i'd welcome them with open arms. Pack right now is the only player of his type, with his physicality to play that role we have at the club. with the number of appearances he's made this season, 7th with a couple of games left seems suggests he's done pretty good. Hey, if you don't like the player you are totally entitled to that view. We're all different

On his day brilliant, but those days are few and far between, pocket picked too often, lazy offloads, passing to players under pressure taking the easy way out, poor weight of passes except when the odd offload is perfect and sets up an attack!

he has peaked and we need better and more consistency 

31 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Well, you’ve just clarified to me that your opinion of Pack is nonsense. Weakest player in our team. My word! 

If we want top 4 then we probably need to improve on somewhat more than just Pack. 

Perhaps a keeper, left back, right back, centre back, midfielder, 2 wingers and 2 strikers might also be required. 

We are what we are - a good team battling well above our relative wage budget. And Pack has been very much part of that team ethic which has seen us overachieve for 2 seasons and see us around the playoffs in possibly the most competitive division in world football. 

If we want to be a top 2 club in this league we probably need to change 75% or more of this team. 

Archived