IGNORED

Pack

The Nest Egg

3 hours ago, Harry said:

The ‘no look pass’ is part of the gameplan which LJ has asked him to perform. Much like under Cotterill, Pack was asked to hit diagonals 25 times per game, now he doesn’t do that as much and instead looks for the shorter pass into the striker or AM’s feet. 

You can watch LJ specially coaching this in the pre-season camp video. 

I imagine he stopped doing the diagonal pass because nine times out of ten it drifted way over the head of the player waiting to receive the ball, joking aside I think  he would benefit from being ‘rested’ it just doesn’t seem right that you are guaranteed your place irrespective of how good, bad or indifferent you play.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I wouldn’t argue with that. But I also wouldn’t use it as a stick to beat Pack with, when it’s specific instructions / game plan from the boss. 

Not having a go at Pack for following instructions, but he has to take responsibility and change tack if it’s not working.

i like Pack, and as I said he gets stick when he’s been flogged to death over the last two years. Could be one reason performance has dropped. Beginning of last year, LJ rotated Smith/Pack but when Korey got injured we never signed THAT replacement. . Can’t remember the name but we were linked with another Everton lad, similar to Walsh, it’s something we lack. Maybe the Sottish lad would be it, if we could get him.

7 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I completely agree.

If we are to push on we will need much better.

I agree that to push on we need to upgrade on Pack, but he’s plenty good enough (and proven so now) to be regarded as able to compete in the top 10 of this division. 

If we want to push on we need to improve ALL areas of the team, not just Pack. 

Aside from Kalas & Webster, a strong case could be made that we need to improve on  every other position if we want to be a top 2 or 3 club in this league. And then further improvement again if we actually made it to the Prem. 

That’s why I don’t get the constant stick Pack receives and he’s the only one who people say “we need to improve on”. 

He’s been influential in getting us to a team challenging at the top end of this league. I don’t get why he’s the only one people say we need to improve on? 

16 hours ago, Harry said:

I agree that to push on we need to upgrade on Pack, but he’s plenty good enough (and proven so now) to be regarded as able to compete in the top 10 of this division. 

Aside from Kalas & Webster, a strong case could be made that we need to improve on  every other position if we want to be a top 2 or 3 club in this league. And then further improvement again if we actually made it to the Prem. 

That’s why I don’t get the constant stick Pack receives and he’s the only one who people say “we need to improve on”. 

He’s been influential in getting us to a team challenging at the top end of this league. I don’t get why he’s the only one people say we need to improve on? 

What I find interesting in the myriad of threads on this forum is that fans who have very strident views frequently cannot articulate what is they feel improvement is i.e. What is the intent.

If I was to break each position down to key qualities x how I feel the team is intending to play Marlon Pack does a more than adequate job. He receives the ball, he retains possession, he releases that possession and repeats that task in a specific role which is defined by that quality. He can add a range of pass to the key elements. And defensively he is sound. Its a player who in my mind is a low priority to replace. 

The constant stick Marlon Pack receives is typical of fans views of not Marlon Pack but of holding/defensive midfielders in general. Fans regularly do not like the intent itself, do not understand it and often have unrealistic expectations from the player playing in that position. That does sound an arrogant view but Packs position is not a regista etc .. A stick to beat these players with is it keeps going backwards, passing sideways and slowing the game down … Yes, exactly technical and tactical qualities required by the position. 

It is quite easy to understand that stick. 

19 hours ago, Harry said:

Agree with most of this and your views regarding Pack. He had a fine first half - arguably our best player. The 2nd half there was no stand out performer - most put in a below par performance and if we were allowed to make 8 substitutions most could and would have been subbed!

Archived