IGNORED

Selection and Formation all wrong

And Its Smith

Lee Johnson says it’s time to be brave and then out of 10 outfield players he picks 7 defenders or defensive minded players.

Reading did a job on us with their 5 man defence and leaving 2 up top to occupy our three centre backs. No gaps between the lines meant we had to get behind.

Who can play a ball behind? Walsh and Palmer. Neither started

Who can make runs in behind? Weimann who was constantly ignored and Taylor who was on the bench.

if we had played 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 then we could have overlapped the wings and created more chances. We created nearly nothing second half.

So frustrating today and against Wigan.

Positive mentions for Elliason, Weimann and Dasilva

Big negatives for Pack and Hunt. Really poor. Especially Pack. He has gone backwards massively over the last few months. Great career at City but either time to move him on or have his as a back up. Looks slow nowadays, poor on the ball and generally offers little 

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

4222 was perfect against West Brom. Why oh why didn’t just keep it.   

The tactics for that game were specifically for West Brom to counter their play, no guarantee it works against other teams. If Reading didn't want to try playing out from the back then their keeper can play over our high press.

Still think it’s predominantly about payers rather than formations.  If our players pay well, and win their battles, we will ultimately get more results than not.  West Brom exposes our 4222 when they went 352/343 second half.  Reading started 352 today and we in effect matched them.

We actually broke them down when we passed the ball quickly first half, we just didn’t do it often enough.  Either side of Korey’s injury we got in behind them 4 times by spinning them high up the pitch.

Too many par performances, nobody really taking the game by the scruff of the neck, or taking responsibility. 

‘We needed one or two on their A-games today....they weren’t.

20 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Lee Johnson says it’s time to be brave and then out of 10 outfield players he picks 7 defenders or defensive minded players.

Reading did a job on us with their 5 man defence and leaving 2 up top to occupy our three centre backs. No gaps between the lines meant we had to get behind.

Who can make runs in behind? Weimann who was constantly ignored and Taylor who was on the bench.

if we had played 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 then we could have overlapped the wings and created more chances. We created nearly nothing second half.

Big negatives for Pack and Hunt. Really poor. Especially Pack. He has gone backwards massively over the last few months. Great career at City but either time to move him on or have his as a back up. Looks slow nowadays, poor on the ball and generally offers little 

As you said, the set up today was not brave one bit. Set up to remain solid, not concede, and hope to get that first goal that would force Reading to come out

It really was a gutless selection . 

Elisason should have started. ?%. And I would have bought Palmer on second half instead of Taylor . It was pretty clear we were missing something in the middle, and the three who played there are to similar 

I can't remember a more frustrating game then this one. This is Lee Johnson's Bristol City though....and they just cannot deal with expectation .

We do alright in the games when we are expected to lose....but when it's in our hands, and we are expected to win...we just don't have the mental capacity to cope. 

Really, really poor and a yet another opportunity thrown away 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Still think it’s predominantly about payers rather than formations.  If our players pay well, and win their battles, we will ultimately get more results than not.  West Brom exposes our 4222 when they went 352/343 second half.  Reading started 352 today and we in effect matched them.

We actually broke them down when we passed the ball quickly first half, we just didn’t do it often enough.  Either side of Korey’s injury we got in behind them 4 times by spinning them high up the pitch.

Too many par performances, nobody really taking the game by the scruff of the neck, or taking responsibility. 

‘We needed one or two on their A-games today....they weren’t.

Yeah I agree. Reading kept their shape well but we did get into countless good positions but we just didn't deliver the ball well at allat the key moments 

25 minutes ago, hodge said:

I don't think 3 CB's is a problem in itself at home, it depends how attacking your wing backs are, if they almost essentially become wingers then the system can still be attacking.

Both Dasilva and Hunt pushed on as wing backs but neither put in a decent cross all game, usually over hit, easily cleared or into the keepers hands. I’m struggling to remember a game when so many crosses failed to cause any problems. The only decent cross from Eliasson led to the equaliser.

Pack had a mare of a game, poor guy couldn’t do anything right................:facepalm:

We just can’t seem to play against teams who don’t want to play football. 

Against WBA it was hard to pick a MOTM as so many were on their game, today I can’t pick one for the opposite reason. The games were 10 days apart and the difference was chalk and cheese. 

As great as this season has been at times we haven’t shown the degree of positive consistency needed to serious promotion contenders. 

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Both Dasilva and Hunt pushed on as wing backs but neither put in a decent cross all game, usually over hit, easily cleared or into the keepers hands. I’m struggling to remember a game when so many crosses failed to cause any problems. The only decent cross from Eliasson led to the equaliser.

Pack had a mare of a game, poor guy couldn’t do anything right................:facepalm:

The average for crosses is 1 in 64 finishes in a goal

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

The average for crosses is 1 in 64 finishes in a goal

And?   :dunno:

Quality crosses can frequently cause problems for the defending team. Doesn’t always result in a goal but contributes to the  pressure. That’s not the case when the ball flies over everyone or straight into the keepers hands.

I agree with the OP, we just didn’t have enough attack-minded players in the side today. The wing backs were left completely isolated and we just weren’t bright enough until Eliasson came on. 

I think 352 can work at home, but one of the midfielders has to be a forward thinking player. Palmer for Smith or Pack and we would have looked much more like it today. It was a frustrating afternoon. 

17 minutes ago, RedM said:

We just can’t seem to play against teams who don’t want to play football. 

Against WBA it was hard to pick a MOTM as so many were on their game, today I can’t pick one for the opposite reason. The games were 10 days apart and the difference was chalk and cheese. 

As great as this season has been at times we haven’t shown the degree of positive consistency needed to serious promotion contenders. 

Harsh on Reading they were decent i thought

5 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Me too. So were Wigan. Yet they've managed just three away wins between them all season! Why do we make or let average teams look so good? I don't know the answer, but it's certainly frustrating this season.

Well 9 minutes for that to change..

2 hours ago, dereks no1 said:

Agree. Why 3 CB at home against a team clearly happy to take a point. 

Playing 3 CB allows the 2 full backs to push forward into midfield and attack, so it’s not necessary a defensive formation. With City it also allows Webster to push forward forward to support the midfield and forwards. The problem today was the midfield was  lacking in any creativity and there were far too many players who had an off day 

4 hours ago, RedDave said:

Think you said it all with “Reading did a job on us”. They played like a side, who despite their quality, were willing to play for their place in the division and put their bodies on the line. 

Disagree on Pack. Thought he kept us moving. Difficult game when Reading payed a packed and deep back line, especially in the first half. To be truly effective he needs movement and runs from midfield. Of which were limited today.

i do think in these games if we are playing a 3 in the middle we can afford to play Palmer. 

This is the same Reading team that drew with Norwich. No easy games and on later Reading look decent.

win on Monday at Wednesday and this will be a good point.....

2 hours ago, Diddlydonkey said:

Noticed today (sat at top of Dolman where you can see the whole pitch) that Weimann made a lot of runs but no one was on his wave length.

How often that has been true in our history.  A quality player beyond the standard of the rest of the team.  It is so frustrating. The only time in my watching of City at this level or above was the side that took us up to the old first division

Archived