IGNORED

Will Steve Lansdown go for it this summer?

Lez

We are clearly missing a creative CAM and an out and out proven striker....kodjia, assombalonga, Adams type footballer.

Will SL pay for proven quality? We progress every season and it's excellent to see.....but we do need that bit of quality that we are missing.

Will he sign proven championship quality? What are people's thoughts for this summer?

Don't think we will ever 'go for it' in any one summer in this division, I think we will have a summer like this season once every 3 seasons to allow us to spend higher for the other 2 and raise our standard overall.

Just now, hodge said:

Don't think we will ever 'go for it' in any one summer in this division, I think we will have a summer like this season once every 3 seasons to allow us to spend higher for the other 2 and raise our standard overall.

Will he sign proven talent?

1 minute ago, Lez said:

You don't have to sign 'proven' talent just get the right players in, was Webster a proven talent? Sheffield Utd this season have barely gone 'proven' talent either they've just got the right players in and you don't have to spend big to do it.

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

You don't have to sign 'proven' talent just get the right players in, was Webster a proven talent? Sheffield Utd this season have barely gone 'proven' talent either they've just got the right players in and you don't have to spend big to do it.

I would argue that Webster was proven championship talent after his time at Ipswich.....same with sheff utd....mcgoldrock Hogan Steadman all proven at this level. 

1 minute ago, Lez said:

I would argue that Webster was proven championship talent after his time at Ipswich.....same with sheff utd....mcgoldrock Hogan Steadman all proven at this level. 

There's proven to playing in the championship which I think all those class as and players like Pack etc who people on here are talking about replacing and proven talent for pushing for promotion, two different things.

4 minutes ago, Lez said:

I think we may see one or two top players coming through the door.

If we don’t go up he may realise that we need that extra bit of quality and that we will have to pay the going rate .

I believe this will be a crucial summer window because LJ may just start to get frustrated that all his efforts are in vain if the necessary investment isn’t forthcoming.

I’m not saying that he will quit but can he sustain the level of performance if there is a seed of  doubt that once again it will all be for nothing ? 

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I think we may see one or two top players coming through the door.

If we don’t go up he may realise that we need that extra bit of quality and that we will have to pay the going rate .

I believe this will be a crucial summer window because LJ may just start to get frustrated that all his efforts are in vain if the necessary investment isn’t forthcoming.

I’m not saying that he will quit but can he sustain the level of performance if there is a seed of  doubt that once again it will all be for nothing ? 

I think this sums it up nicely.

One or two top championship talent to supplement what we have. Not an overhaul that would be wrong but we are overachieving considering our squad.

Defensively we are fine. Out wide we are fine. In cm we are generally ok.

But we are missing a top class striker. And a creative force in CAM. Two quality additions will make a huge difference and support our upward progression 

All the loanees will go including Kalas, plus anyone else who will get a few bob in;

We will then re-build and "go again" we must also give them much time to gel and the xmas window will also be needed to fine tune things.

We will not bring in any championship quality for those positions that we have been desperate to fill for many seasons now; we will also no doubt go down the loan road and repeat over the coming seasons again and again, building for the future but knocking it down before we get anywhere.

This season again will show we lack the ambition to make a forward move when in a great position, just like last season.

I know many have hope still, but its not reality.

reckon LJ has done enough this season to really put us in a good position to get those 3 or 4 difference maker players. 

Striker, creative midfielder, right back and keeper. 

The profile of our club has never been higher than it has in the last few years. Perhaps now we can get these types of players to buy into Bristol City 

7 minutes ago, Lez said:

I think this sums it up nicely.

One or two top championship talent to supplement what we have. Not an overhaul that would be wrong but we are overachieving considering our squad.

Defensively we are fine. Out wide we are fine. In cm we are generally ok.

But we are missing a top class striker. And a creative force in CAM. Two quality additions will make a huge difference and support our upward progression 

our squad will be descimated close season, then we will build again.

37 minutes ago, hodge said:

Agree. It’s why our scouting network needs to be the best it can be. At least we seem to be getting away from too many ones for the future and punts on foreigners 

1 hour ago, Lez said:

We are clearly missing a creative CAM and an out and out proven striker....kodjia, assombalonga, Adams type footballer.

Will SL pay for proven quality? We progress every season and it's excellent to see.....but we do need that bit of quality that we are missing.

Will he sign proven championship quality? What are people's thoughts for this summer?

Nope.

No he won’t in my opinion. I don’t think he’s ever really gone for it and not convinced he will start now. Besides, LJ (in SL eyes) is probably doing well enough to convince SL that we don’t need to spend and that a couple of tweaks will do it rather than an all out spend. 

In January we were in for one of Assombolonga and Hogan.

The latter has actually done not a lot at Sheffield United- Madine has outperformed him by far in direct comparisons.

Assombalonga however? Cannot help but think, and it would have been a risk but a calculated one plus down to Middlesbrough too, that we should have properly rolled the dice and paid what they were asking for him on loan.

Undoubtedly would have brought a new dimension. I am big on FFP but in this instance stick or twist? I say twist- should've rolled that dice!

3 hours ago, Lez said:

Absolutely no chance 

I'm still amazed at the people who think we were actually in for Hogan and Assembongla (or whatever his name is)

5 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Absolutely no chance 

I'm still amazed at the people who think we were actually in for Hogan and Assembongla (or whatever his name is)

Then be amazed because many people in the game have reported that we were. 

How seriously or at what price we don’t know for sure although there was a figure flying around for BA ( Britt Assombalonga not British Airways ! ) 

32 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Then be amazed because many people in the game have reported that we were. 

How seriously or at what price we don’t know for sure although there was a figure flying around for BA ( Britt Assombalonga not British Airways ! ) 

I just don't see it happening 

I can see us trying to get Kalas and Da Silva....but, let's be honest....the philosophy they have been using has seen us improve year on year, so why would he change it now? 

I'd love to see it....just don't hold your breath . I've heard this 'people in the game...' nonsense to...but, never hear some actual credible sources

We need new talent but with that we need ideas, today a perfect example, win a couple of really good games not exposing famara so much as a lone forward, then two games the momentum is lost again, we have the players and they have to be better deployed!

theres speed and energy being wasted sitting behind the dugout, a couple of really good players needing nothing more than experience which they won’t get as long as we trot out tired or disinterested players.

We will be extremely lucky to end up top 6 the way things are at the moment, we have seen some excellent crossing from Substitutes, we have a midfield that can’t pass or hold the ball most of the time, midfielders on the bench or not selected at all, impact subs brilliant but not where we need them!

Morrell, Semenjo and Palmer wasted here, Walsh did not do too bad today but why was Watkins on the bench? Certainly a player that’s shown no promise here

I don’t think SL has ever really refused to back LJ, but LJ knows SL’s limits and hasn’t asked for what he knows he won’t get.

However it looks like LJ will have delivered what he was told to, to finish in a higher position than we did last season, after selling three first team regulars as we know. I think LJ will now go to SL and say he has secured decent loan players this season and recruited well.

If the remit next year is again to finish higher than this year ( I think we will be 7th or 8th this season) then LJ has every right to expect to bring in ready made quality, which probably means as big of an investment as we’ve ever made, which against many of the teams we count as rivals isn’t much. Saying that teams like Preston are only two wins behind us and have spent almost nothing I don’t think. 

Archived