IGNORED

Will Steve Lansdown go for it this summer?

Lez

23 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

Consistent progress built on loans mainly, a cheap option that adds nothing to real progress at this club. Signings that are worth anything are quickly off loaded to other clubs who are after real progress and building squads to make a sustained challenge.

Please tell me though the names of the players that you think will still be here next season, those that we can build a promotion challenging team around?.

Maybe you are one of the few who really think we will be battling in the play offs in the coming weeks, even with our game advantage.

We lack a midfield general and a proven championship goalscorer, and cover in other positions, other teams in with a shout don't.

We wont be buying better players just hoping the loan market will see us through another season of hope and little else.

Talking bollocks maybe I am but its what I believe and SL will not be investing multi millions in our playing staff either, anytime soon, its not the plan.

So there's progress and there's real progress. 

We are making progress now (hard to contest, even for the most curmudgeonly) you will admit, but not yet real progress.

In the event of us one day moving to the higher plane of real progress, would that be the summit, the mountain-top, on the ladder of progress or merely one more rung up on an unending ascent, chasing a level of progress that can never be reached?

I highly doubt we will waste money in the summer on over priced strikers like assombalonga. I'm sure we're looking at a few gems that won't require anywhere near as much outlay on wages and transfer fee. Plus we are grooming semenyo for first team football so can see him getting more regular game time next season if we don't go up.

can see us selling Taylor, Watkins, baker, odowda, and fielding and Pisano will go on frees. Plenty of wages and some cash freed up on top of what we made from sales of Bryan, flint and Reid to give it a good go this summer and get in some real quality

1 hour ago, cityboy said:

Except our wage bill alone exceeds our income each year already, so SL knows very well he needs to tread carefully with the financial health of the club. I don't see him going all out this summer as a result.

We are lucky that SL treads very carefully and won’t risk the future of the club but there are ways and means to deal with the wage bill .

For example two or three less  ‘marginal ‘ players for one nailed on first teamer .

If Watkins, Fielding and Taylor are on , let’s say , collectively, 45k a week that is a decent wage for a top player . We bulk up the squad with the talented academy and under 21’s who will be on less money and the job’s a good ‘un.

Thé pathway to the first team is clear and the quality that we lack can be brought in without breaking the club or wasting the talent at our disposal.

1 hour ago, cityboy said:

Except our wage bill alone exceeds our income each year already, so SL knows very well he needs to tread carefully with the financial health of the club. I don't see him going all out this summer as a result.

SL's willingness and ability to "go for it" will be very dependant on the club's financial situation. Not just in terms of where we sit with ffp but also how far SL is prepared to push against his principal of the club being self sustaining i.e. living within it's financial means. 

21 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Even if we miss out on the playoffs, I would imagine SL considering this season another year of progress. On that basis I assume he would think that his model is working and it will be more of the same.

Id probably do the same to be honest

Following on from the my previous comment, this will be an interesting issue.

Let's say we finish just in or just outside the play offs, then as TTT says it would be in line with SL's play for season on season progress. However, the next step would be to properly challenge for automatic promotion but I think this is a much bigger step up than getting where we are now i.e. challenging for a play off spot.

If promotion is the next step up the it will be interesting to see how SL, MA & LJ address  what we need to bridge the gap. Will it be that they accept the need to push the boat out financially to bring in the players that provide the extra something we've been missing, or will we keep to the financial plan and look at finding another Webster type player,i.e.  paying good money for a proven player but not necessarily one that fans would see as the stellar signing that I think many feel we need. It could of course be that the club feel we already have players here that can step up a level e.g someone like Walsh, or Weimann playing in a striker role.

23 hours ago, Unan said:

With a player like Gayle I think we’d be fighting for too 2. We could revert back to our solid 4 in defence & be strong enough upfront to actually score goals. Wether SL would actually ‘go for it’ though? Probably not.

The player we tried to sign that turned us down ....

Year on year progress is fine, but if we were to have a season , maybe next season, where we have a bit of a struggle and finish, say 17th, the process starts all over again with 15th or 16th the aim for the next year. 

Also, with continued progress, how do we know when we have actually reached our summit ? Would it be play offs year on year, promotion, or consolidation in the Prem, because lets be honest we are never going to be Champions League or even top 6 material. Is the position we are in now the very best we can hope for, from this model that the club is using ? Who knows, but at some point in the future, SL is going to have to spend big money to get to the next level.

56 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

The player we tried to sign that turned us down ....

When we had just come up from the third tier, weren’t benefitting from 20k+ average crowds and increased stadium revenues, and weren’t yet able to show ourselves competing for promotion in the top half of the division.

Not to say wages won’t still be an issue, but the picture has changed and higher profile signings are now more feasible than they were back then.

On 20/04/2019 at 08:09, mozo said:

You've illustrated your point very well there. 

It does lead us however to the question of what is needed now to keep improving on that.

Lets say Kalas and DaSilva go elsewhere and Kelly and Semenyo get their transfers, what will be needed then?

A continuation of what has already been done.

Each season we have been able to attract a higher calibre of young players because of the improvements made.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

We are lucky that SL treads very carefully and won’t risk the future of the club but there are ways and means to deal with the wage bill .

For example two or three less  ‘marginal ‘ players for one nailed on first teamer .

If Watkins, Fielding and Taylor are on , let’s say , collectively, 45k a week that is a decent wage for a top player . We bulk up the squad with the talented academy and under 21’s who will be on less money and the job’s a good ‘un.

Thé pathway to the first team is clear and the quality that we lack can be brought in without breaking the club or wasting the talent at our disposal.

So you reckon we could bring in a new player, put him on £45k/week and the rest of the squad would all nod happily and go along with it?

That, imo, would be a bit of a recipe for disaster. Team spirit out the window on day one. It ain't that simple although I get the idea.

7 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

So you reckon we could bring in a new player, put him on £45k/week and the rest of the squad would all nod happily and go along with it?

That, imo, would be a bit of a recipe for disaster. Team spirit out the window on day one. It ain't that simple although I get the idea.

Agreed, however I think if we had 45k to 55k of wages out this summer we could bring in say 2/3 25k a week players with acceptable wage increases for the squad and raise the overall standard.

On 19/04/2019 at 15:07, Lez said:

We are clearly missing a creative CAM and an out and out proven striker....kodjia, assombalonga, Adams type footballer.

Will SL pay for proven quality? We progress every season and it's excellent to see.....but we do need that bit of quality that we are missing.

Will he sign proven championship quality? What are people's thoughts for this summer?

If City make, or just miss out on the P/Os, then this Summer will see some in and some (hopefully better) in.

If City make and then win the P/Os, it's major decision time. Option 1; throw cheques like confetti and ring in a dozen top rate players. Option 2; a just 2 or 3 choice signings, get relegated, but pick up the Prem cash and use that to create a much stronger squad so next time we'd stay up.

4 minutes ago, 22A said:

If City make, or just miss out on the P/Os, then this Summer will see some in and some (hopefully better) in.

If City make and then win the P/Os, it's major decision time. Option 1; throw cheques like confetti and ring in a dozen top rate players. Option 2; a just 2 or 3 choice signings, get relegated, but pick up the Prem cash and use that to create a much stronger squad so next time we'd stay up.

Option 2, we showed in cup games last year that we can compete with prem teams in an individual game basis, play the same style of football, take the chance that 2 or 3 signings will be enough to keep us up and if it happened then strengthen again in the same manner. 

I cannot see why he would. He had a chance in January to go for it when we were in a very good position to push for the playoffs and did nothing. He dogmatically sticks to his way of doing things regardless of opportunities or changes in situations. More journey men and ones for the future to look forward in the summer transfer window.

Sign Kalas, Palmer and Da Silva, bring Walsh into the squad, hope to get another amazing Chelsea loanee, sell Baker and bring Vyner in as backup. Co'D will also no doubt go. 

Wouldn't be disappointed with that. Hopefully Eisa et al will get more game time and prove themselves. Another season of incremental improvements with the aim of a points tally circa 75.

2 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

I cannot see why he would. He had a chance in January to go for it when we were in a very good position to push for the playoffs and did nothing. He dogmatically sticks to his way of doing things regardless of opportunities or changes in situations. More journey men and ones for the future to look forward in the summer transfer window.

Love comments like this...

1. How do you know they 'did nothing'?

2. What are these 'opportunities and changes of situation' you speak of? Do you know what our budget is, the players contracts, who we approached? Who refused? How much we can afford? Players already agreed and lined up for the summer? Etc etc etc...

3 How many 'journey men' do we have in the Squad that don't add quality? Arguably 1 in Watkins.

Couple seasons up...fighting against teams with far bigger budgets and experience...

Does my head in ????

SL is clearly of the opinion that clubs should stay within the FFP rules. The extent to which we can spend this summer will presumably depend on how much room there is within the FFP limits.

While we sold big last summer I'm not clear whether the full amount from those sales are accounted in that year. Given that payments are usually in instalments, do they appear in our accounts as and when the payments are made?

I guess if the full amounts are counted in the year we sold there should be scope to spend a reasonable chunk in the summer. 

27 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

SL is clearly of the opinion that clubs should stay within the FFP rules. The extent to which we can spend this summer will presumably depend on how much room there is within the FFP limits.

While we sold big last summer I'm not clear whether the full amount from those sales are accounted in that year. Given that payments are usually in instalments, do they appear in our accounts as and when the payments are made?

I guess if the full amounts are counted in the year we sold there should be scope to spend a reasonable chunk in the summer. 

Instalments would appear more as a cash flow thing...

Profit on disposal of player registrations. This is broadly speaking what transfer income is classed as, would appear in 2018/19 accounts for all the sales last summer. Add-ons probably wouldn't until or unless realised.

Cost of Amortisation is fee/divided by contract. £10m fee, 4 year deal summer 2019 say, we buy Assombolonga (I wish). That'd appear in accounts as an annual cost of £2.5m. Yet the deal maybe structured totally differently.

Whereas if say we sold Kelly for £5m (too low) say, that would appear in profit on transfers as a once off £5m profit.

Deals maybe structured differently but in Accounts and FFP terms, there's a basic example of in and out.

Being from our academy, Kelly would be a pure profit but savings on amortisation wouldn't come into it.

Pluses and minuses to basically all deals, balance sheet wise.

On 20/04/2019 at 08:16, JBFC II said:

Aston villa a forward thinking club? The club that has spent over 100 million on transfer fees alone to fail to get out of the championship? 

As for Lansdown not wanting us to go up, I've never quite understood why people say that. It's complete rubbish

Look at the league table tonight ... You'll see it eventually - its just taking you a bit longer.

10 minutes ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

Look at the league table tonight ... You'll see it eventually - its just taking you a bit longer.

I see us 1 point off of 6th, knowing that if we win our remaining games we are in the play offs. 

How do you see it? 

They won’t ‘go for it’ and rightly so. We are making continuous improvements with the strategy that is in place which is a dam sight cheaper than many. 

My only question mark is whether LJ can get us over the line whether it be this season or next. Something that I think SL questions too. 

9 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

They won’t ‘go for it’ and rightly so. We are making continuous improvements with the strategy that is in place which is a dam sight cheaper than many. 

My only question mark is whether LJ can get us over the line whether it be this season or next. Something that I think SL questions too. 

If we don't 'go for it' transfer wise, lose Kalas and a couple of others, and actually saw a decline in the 2019-20 season, would that indicate change is needed or would you still carry on with the same transfer strategy?

Is it contingent on continuous improvement or not?

Archived