IGNORED

That Free Kick

Dullmoan Tone

OK so clearly they practised it and it was well executed but....

Why is Wright diving in - it was such a cheap foul to make and pointless.

Webster and Kalas so rarely give free kicks like that away - is Bailey trying to over compensate and prove he's the LJ "warrior" to get his starting place back?

We can critisise the formation - as per the other threads, but Bailey has to show more nous. I haven't seen it back, but I thought the attacker was running away from goal at the time.

The answer is yes - was a very soft foul and needless to give away. Not sure if it’s BW being a “warrior” or just a bit of bad play - erring towards the latter.

As for the FK itself, good routine and well worked, but for me, we were a touch too slow to react to both the second ball and the cross

When we say well worked, the through ball was so slow and obvious and nobody reacted.

it wasn’t a quickly taken move, the second pass is laboured  and at that point a square ball is the only option .

For a brief second I thought what an obvious waste, only to realise we’ve paid no ******* attention.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Joe Morrell on BCTV commentary was saying how he had heard the Gary Johnson "invented" that free kick routine.  Called it the 'Weasel' routine and Morrell was saying that LJ will be fuming that we were undone by that particular routine.

How long has Morrell been at City?

He can't have been older than about 12 when the "Weasel" was used in the playoffs

24 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

How long has Morrell been at City?

He can't have been older than about 12 when the "Weasel" was used in the playoffs

Probably about then....heard him mention knowing Max and other products of the academy from that age.

2 hours ago, Super said:

It was well worked but somebody lost their man (not sure who it was)

JDS was ball watching and did not track the man next to free kick taker who received the second pass and drilled it to the near post. Very lax as he was not stood next to the free kick taker as a decoration.

2 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

I'm yet to see the goal as not long finished work  but sounds similar to Boro when assomwhatshisface hit the post? 

We arnt learning from past mistakes.

That’s the one I was trying to remember earlier, was bugging the crap out of me! I agree similar routine in similar area and we just seemed to switch off. 

Don’t know how BW gets in our team, understand we stagnated with our standard 442 but we need to find a way to keep our back 4 as it was in the fiery half of the season, absolutely solid & near impossible to break through.

4 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

JDS was ball watching and did not track the man next to free kick taker who received the second pass and drilled it to the near post. Very lax as he was not stood next to the free kick taker as a decoration.

Just watched the highlight of it about 5 times, he turns almost as soon as he sees the guy starting to make a run, its a combination of that split seconds advantage in starting to accelerate helps him get a run on Jay, accelerating starting facing forwards compared to having to turn and accelerate, combined with it being a very well placed and paced ball, helps their player get onto it before Jay. The second part being the man on the edge of the box being unmarked, we had 7 players in the box defending against 4 of their players, 1 could have easily been sacrificed to mark the man on the edge of the box, cuts off the pass and probably forces them to cross the ball in where it would have been 6 (7 with Max)v4 in our favour.

12 hours ago, hodge said:

Just watched the highlight of it about 5 times, he turns almost as soon as he sees the guy starting to make a run, its a combination of that split seconds advantage in starting to accelerate helps him get a run on Jay, accelerating starting facing forwards compared to having to turn and accelerate, combined with it being a very well placed and paced ball, helps their player get onto it before Jay. The second part being the man on the edge of the box being unmarked, we had 7 players in the box defending against 4 of their players, 1 could have easily been sacrificed to mark the man on the edge of the box, cuts off the pass and probably forces them to cross the ball in where it would have been 6 (7 with Max)v4 in our favour.

Agree entirely about pushing a defender up nearer to unmarked players on the edge of box but still maintain that JDS should have been more aware. Get what you are saying about position when starting runs but also having watched the replays Jay watches the ball played square before realising what is going on. He is a couple of yards closer to the goal line and had he spun and covered immediately he would have been in a position to cut the threaded pass out or put it out for a corner. Another lesson learned for the youngster.

Why do we not seem to have any little tricks to come up with when in similar positions? It is standard shoot or centre from our free kicks the same for lack of movement at throw ins.

4 hours ago, redysteadygo1 said:

Agree entirely about pushing a defender up nearer to unmarked players on the edge of box but still maintain that JDS should have been more aware. Get what you are saying about position when starting runs but also having watched the replays Jay watches the ball played square before realising what is going on. He is a couple of yards closer to the goal line and had he spun and covered immediately he would have been in a position to cut the threaded pass out or put it out for a corner. Another lesson learned for the youngster.

Why do we not seem to have any little tricks to come up with when in similar positions? It is standard shoot or centre from our free kicks the same for lack of movement at throw ins.

Because we’re rubbish. We are never going to be in the top half of the Championship playing like we do .

:disapointed2se:

23 hours ago, Super said:

It was well worked but somebody lost their man (not sure who it was)

Don't know how that was possible, seeing as we had ten men defending against six of theirs. I thought throughout the game we had people getting in each others way due to the amount of central defenders, two defenders as wing backs and two defensive midfielders. It was all too crowded in certain areas with the ball sometimes being patted between two players and it going nowhere. Very poor yesterday.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Whoever it is should probably keep "spouting" such stuff given we're performing above where 90% of our fans were expecting for this season....

JBCF, I was not criticising. "Whoever" just pointing out to a response to my previous post that if we could improve our lack of movement at throw ins or show a bit more inventiveness with free kicks we might gain those extra couple of points we would all like. If the HC is looking for that minimal improvement through fine margins then I'm surprised he hasn't looked into this aspect of our play.

22 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Well worked free kick no doubt, but how slow were we to react.

Absolutely spot on.

Their manager was delighted saying they’d practiced that particular free kick in training and it worked. It certainly caught our guys cold.

Archived