Our away form is great

Been like it all season

Why do the coaches know how to do this

It is obvious we are playing right away

Won 4

Drawn 6

Lost 2

That's our home form vs the bottom 12. 

Reduce that to the bottom 7 and we only gained 8 points. 

Turn even 2 of those draws into home wins and we’d already be comfortably in the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Won 4

Drawn 6

Lost 2

Turn even 2 of those draws into home wins and we’d already be comfortably in the playoffs. 

Nail on the head mate. Promotion form away from home and mid to lower form at home.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Won 4

Drawn 6

Lost 2

What's the home form against the top 12 at home? Could support the idea we can't break down the teams who come to us to be defensively sound to try and get a point.

54 minutes ago, hodge said:

What's the home form against the top 12 at home? Could support the idea we can't break down the teams who come to us to be defensively sound to try and get a point.

Currently 4-3-4

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Won 4

Drawn 6

Lost 2

So easy to say, but every club in the division could say the same. Every team will look at games they feel they “should” have won, and how their league position would look if they had.

We are where we are, and to be 7th with a play off position still in our hands, is well ahead of expectation and still a bloody good season - especially having sold three quality players last summer.

Our home form is a disappointing, yet despite this we are still in the play off hunt. That suggests to me that our style this year is simply better suited to away matches, and that we are doing more right than wrong.

Playing at home no matter who the opposition are I’d be instructing them to attack straight from the off, apart from 1 or 2 sides in this division all the others pretty much put everyone behind the ball and try to hit us on the counter attack, fairly similar to our away set up minus everyone behind the ball. You can pretty much predict what style of game it’s going to be before it even starts, and LJ’s problem is that he try’s to match up and nullify their game plan, imo he needs to scrap that asap, just play our own game, fvck worrying about what they might do, get at teams from the off at AG, we all know how good we can be when we are going for it, WBA the other week as an example we were superb when playing the attacking football we are capable, so LJ if you really do want to have a real go at the Play Offs, get Weimann up front with Fammy and get us firing from the 1st whistle, not worrying about what teams like Ipswich can do and playing 4 defenders v 1 striker when they clearly came to defend and play for a point.

COYR

5 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Playing at home no matter who the opposition are I’d be instructing them to attack straight from the off, apart from 1 or 2 sides in this division all the others pretty much put everyone behind the ball and try to hit us on the counter attack, fairly similar to our away set up minus everyone behind the ball. You can pretty much predict what style of game it’s going to be before it even starts, and LJ’s problem is that he try’s to match up and nullify their game plan, imo he needs to scrap that asap, just play our own game, fvck worrying about what they might do, get at teams from the off at AG, we all know how good we can be when we are going for it, WBA the other week as an example we were superb when playing the attacking football we are capable, so LJ if you really do want to have a real go at the Play Offs, get Weimann up front with Fammy and get us firing from the 1st whistle, not worrying about what teams like Ipswich can do and playing 4 defenders v 1 striker when they clearly came to defend and play for a point.

COYR

You say we shouldn't customise our game for the opposition and we should just play our game and then sight WBA as an example - but we changed our game plan specifically for WBA to counter the way they play.

My concern is that if we play what I believe you think our game is we will be figured out within 10 games, a bit like last season teams will learn how to play against us, WBA for example figured it out in 30 mins, luckily we were already 3 up.

14 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I have not enjoyed our home games this season with only a couple of exceptions.

What cheeses me off is walking out of the Dolman at the end of game past the smiling and laughing away supporters. Seems like it happens most weeks and especially when there’s good away supporter. 

12 hours ago, Pezo said:

You say we shouldn't customise our game for the opposition and we should just play our game and then sight WBA as an example - but we changed our game plan specifically for WBA to counter the way they play.

My concern is that if we play what I believe you think our game is we will be figured out within 10 games, a bit like last season teams will learn how to play against us, WBA for example figured it out in 30 mins, luckily we were already 3 up.

Whether it was to counter WBA or not, imo we should be starting every home game that way, then hopefully get a goal or two then teams would have to come at us, I’m not saying we should be play the whole 90mins gung ho as that would no doubt burn players out, but for the first 15/20mins I’d be going flat out trying to get a goal, and force the opposition to come at us, thus creating space then we can change tactics/game plan accordingly. 

We’ve seen it far too often this season at AG where we’ve made poor teams look decent, where we just stand off and let them have the ball, and hopefully catching them on the break :blink:  QPR, Birmingham, Ipswich, Rotherham just off the top of my head, and in 2/3 of those we ended up being 0-1 at HT and LJ is then forced to abandon his tactics and make a couple of subs at HT to try and claw the game back. We know how good of an attacking side we are when we are on top so just baffles me why he plays this way at home.

On 19/04/2019 at 18:00, cidered abroad said:

So predictable. So frustrating. And for long periods of matches, so boring.

I have not enjoyed our home games this season with only a couple of exceptions.

I'm tired of the whole match day now. Why do I bother?

I’m with you on a lot of this - I really enjoyed the home game vs Swansea, it was top entertainment provided by both sides - the rest have been a bit flat for the majority of the time ....

18 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Whether it was to counter WBA or not, imo we should be starting every home game that way, then hopefully get a goal or two then teams would have to come at us, I’m not saying we should be play the whole 90mins gung ho as that would no doubt burn players out, but for the first 15/20mins I’d be going flat out trying to get a goal, and force the opposition to come at us, thus creating space then we can change tactics/game plan accordingly. 

We’ve seen it far too often this season at AG where we’ve made poor teams look decent, where we just stand off and let them have the ball, and hopefully catching them on the break :blink:  QPR, Birmingham, Ipswich, Rotherham just off the top of my head, and in 2/3 of those we ended up being 0-1 at HT and LJ is then forced to abandon his tactics and make a couple of subs at HT to try and claw the game back. We know how good of an attacking side we are when we are on top so just baffles me why he plays this way at home.

We did start yesterday’s game in exactly that way. We were well on top until the disruption of Korey’s injury. 

1 hour ago, BCFC11 said:

imo we should be starting every home game that way

You can't start every game that way if it doesn't fit how the opposition play, if we press high with intensity what happens if they're happy to play over the press? We have 2/3 players taken out of the moment of the game because of it, agree we should be on the front foot more but 1 distinctive style doesn't work. Man City for example a good 60% to 70% of their goals come from assists either side on the edge of the box, they get in this position by 1 of 5 ways, over the course of the season the same attacking moves repeatedly. 

33 minutes ago, hodge said:

You can't start every game that way if it doesn't fit how the opposition play, if we press high with intensity what happens if they're happy to play over the press? We have 2/3 players taken out of the moment of the game because of it, agree we should be on the front foot more but 1 distinctive style doesn't work. Man City for example a good 60% to 70% of their goals come from assists either side on the edge of the box, they get in this position by 1 of 5 ways, over the course of the season the same attacking moves repeatedly. 

This is my point, at AG I wouldn’t even worry about how the opposition set up, let them worry about what we are doing we are the home side afterall. Not slating LJ as overall he’s done a great job this season so far.... but if he addressed this 2/3 months ago and went more attacking at home then we’d of probably more or unless had a play off spot sewn up by now.

30 minutes ago, hodge said:

However, we can't keep starting home games the way we have for a good part of this season, and particularly of late ( bar West Brom). If we do it will kill any chance of us properly challenging at the top end of the table. 

I don't think it is necessarily a question of pressing high, i.e. when the opposition have possession, but more a question of how we use and move the ball when we have possession. Do we move the ball forward quickly enough ( I'm not talking about hitting long balls) as it often seems that our build up play is too ponderous and gives the opposition too much time to regroup and get players behind the ball and to hold their shape? When teams come to get players behind the ball this approach seems to play into their hands. 

The funny thing is that when we've been chasing games at home - Wolves and QPR come to mind - we've showed how potent we can be as an attacking team, and both those teams struggled to live with us. If we can do that when chasing a game, is it not worth trying the same approach from the start? Teams like  Leeds, Norwich, Sheff U often run up 2 or 3 goal leads in first halves at home against teams at the bottom end of the table and I suspect their managers/coaches are not sending their teams out worried about fitting their game with how the opposition play. 

I can completely understand LJ planning for the strengths of teams like Leeds, Norwich etc but wonder whether he is inclined to overthink things when sending his teams out against the likes of Ipswich, Wigan and Reading. Playing  to our strengths puts the onus on the opposition coaches to come up with a pan to counter what we can do.

3 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Interesting perspective, IMO teams would just come here look to shut up for the first 20 mins and then look to break on us for the rest of the game and we would not get as many points, it's too obvious. 

Those tactics only really work against a team that thinks they can win and gives us the space required to play like that.

Simple fact for me is we don't have a game plan or quality for teams that only want a point and that's due to a lack of quality (don't get me wrong I love our players and think they are doing a great job).

Archived