IGNORED

Player Ratings...my opinions are my own.

CityCiderEd

O'Leary....................7.....Maturing with every game.

Hunt........................4....Struggled from the start and crossing was woeful.

Kalas......................7.....Steady throughout and some quality defending.

Webster.................6......Not as commanding as usual but solid.

Wright...................6......Did a decent job when he was on.

DaSilva..................7....Played well but his final ball wasn't the best.

Pack.....................5.....Running in treacle from the start and his passing was poor.

Brownhill.............5......If not for his goal wouldn't have known he was playing.

Smith..................5.....So unlucky with injury again but could tell he'd been out for a while

Weimann............6....Just never stops running and making space for players,unlucky to come off.

Diedhiou.............5.....Service to him today wasn't great but his first touch was poor.

Walsh.................6...Always looking to play on the front foot and thought he did ok after a long time out.

Eliasson............6... For that one cross alone,would liked him to have started today.

Taylor...............4....Waste of a last sub we didn't need a chaser we needed someone to unlock their defence.

39 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Hunt........................4....Struggled from the start and crossing was woeful.

Pack.....................5.....Running in treacle from the start and his passing was poor.

Brownhill.............5......If not for his goal wouldn't have known he was playing.

Smith..................5.....So unlucky with injury again but could tell he'd been out for a while

Weimann............6....Just never stops running and making space for players,unlucky to come off.

Diedhiou.............5.....Service to him today wasn't great but his first touch was poor.

Walsh.................6...Always looking to play on the front foot and thought he did ok after a long time out.

Eliasson............6... For that one cross alone,would liked him to have started today.

Taylor...............4....Waste of a last sub we didn't need a chaser we needed someone to unlock their defence.

Hunt didn't struggle at all with exception of crosses.

You need to understand it's very difficult against a back 5....especially for full backs when players aren't making runs for the ball down the channel.

Impossible task for hunt and dasilva today 

8 minutes ago, Lez said:

Hunt didn't struggle at all with exception of crosses.

You need to understand it's very difficult against a back 5....especially for full backs when players aren't making runs for the ball down the channel.

Impossible task for hunt and dasilva today 

That's why I said it was my opinion I thought he was woeful as a wing back cos he isn't a good defender. He had all the space in the world at times but wasted almost every one of them. Weimann made plenty of runs but was rarely used. 

O'Leary....................6

Hunt........................4

Kalas......................7

Webster.................6.

Wright...................6

DaSilva.................6

Pack....................4

Brownhill............6

Smith.................5

Weimann............5

Diedhiou.............6 

Walsh ...............6

Eliasson............7

Taylor...............5

11 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

He made a very good reaction save in the first half, and his distribution is very good. Needs to develop some command of his 6 yard box at least before he starts being thought of as a potential no 1. Strengthening work/bulking up in the close season might help with this. Still young for a keeper and I'm hopeful he'll make it here.

Ratings are immaterial when one considers the utter shambles of our set up and shape today (headless chickens mostly), with biggest question mark being our management stood inanimate without looking to sort it out. If the intention was to start Brownhill 'in the hole' like Freeman et al before him that was never going to work as we never pass it through. Brownhill quickly reverted to roaming aimlessly around the park and frankly looked like he was knackered after 20 minutes.

Smith going off made zero difference. Great servant but post injury he no longer has it and had he not been carried off the ref would have rightly sent him off for the most reckless of challenges.

Punters moan about the quality of the crossing but we ended up for large parts with 4 or more upfront but all in a straight line, which gives about a 3 yard gap into which to aim the ball. Had one or two dropped off a couple of yards you treble the amount of space that becomes active. Our management's response?

Yet again too much over-elaborate, tippy-tappy possession football that another supposedly lower performing side dealt with easily. We don't have the quality to break teams down, hence why we're better on the break away from home. In which case why not be more direct and positive, as shown when Eliassen finally arrived? Also why not work on players having the cojones to be a tad more selfish and shoot. Pack's by far the worst culprit , how many times again did we cede possession in excellent areas because for him it's always the feign and blind pass rather than putting his foot through it?

Take a snapshot of the pitch at most points throughout the game and play spot the formation. That's why we dropped points, players distracted by not understanding how they were supposed to work together.

12 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

No , you’ve got this all wrong.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Ratings are immaterial when one considers the utter shambles of our set up and shape today (headless chickens mostly), with biggest question mark being our management stood inanimate without looking to sort it out. If the intention was to start Brownhill 'in the hole' like Freeman et al before him that was never going to work as we never pass it through. Brownhill quickly reverted to roaming aimlessly around the park and frankly looked like he was knackered after 20 minutes.

Isn’t it amazing just how many posters think they know better than LJ and his assistants.......These  guys work with the players almost every day and are fully  qualified coaches and former professional footballers themselves.......As a trio they assess all the analysts reports and decide on the formation and tactics for every match  If there’s any opposing view then LJ makes the final call.

Then we see posters on here criticising the formation/tactics/shape.........As far as I’m aware very few I If any of us have the same qualifications and experience of playing professional football........ffs.........:disapointed2se:

Player ratings are subjective of course. Personally I thought Pack had the poorest game I’ve seen from, Hunt is a very decent RB but struggles with making crosses. If anyone had visited Owlstalk when he joined us they all said exactly that.....I’m sure Hunt himself would admit that crossing needs working  on 

I watched most of the game on a dodgy stream and I overall I was impressed with the effort and work rate. We were in control for most of the game and of course when you are playing against teams fighting for their lives it’s just as hard as playing the top teams. Reading are unbeaten for a while and came to us on the back of a win vs Brentford and a draw vs Norwich, so they’re no mugs. 

My only criticism is our final ball in was poor - not just Hunt - everyone was guilty of that. Shame - but their defence and keeper was made to work hard. 

Also, what is it with us and referees? Time and time again Reading were fouling without punishment at all!!!

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Isn’t it amazing just how many posters think they know better than LJ and his assistants.......These  guys work with the players almost every day and are fully  qualified coaches and former professional footballers themselves.......As a trio they assess all the analysts reports and decide on the formation and tactics for every match  If there’s any opposing view then LJ makes the final call.

Then we see posters on here criticising the formation/tactics/shape.........As far as I’m aware very few I If any of us have the same qualifications and experience of playing professional football........ffs.........:disapointed2se:

Player ratings are subjective of course. Personally I thought Pack had the poorest game I’ve seen from, Hunt is a very decent RB but struggles with making crosses. If anyone had visited Owlstalk when he joined us they all said exactly that.....I’m sure Hunt himself would admit that crossing needs working  on 

Agree with you poorest game I have seen Pack play, truly woeful. Hunts crosses were poor too.  However the real culprit is LJ for not starting Eliasson and picking 3 centre backs. 

15 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

Your opinions aren't your own...they're mine too

5 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Smith going off made zero difference.

Because Walsh filled the gap and spread the ball around, most of the time, pretty accurately. He deserves his 6 rating and, judging by the thread on him, deserves a damn sight more credit than he gets given on OTIB. We're full of how well Max is growing as a player with regular game time - all I'm saying is.....give Walsh a chance, he'll do just the same. 

from what i can see, when a club in the bottom 8 or so comes into town, the plan is to hope our quality shines through.

with a home record of a struggling team i think thats proof we need something different, like we do when we play a side from the top half.

yesterday was very predictable and why on earth taylor came on instead of palmer is beyond me, i think the korey sub made sure our last sub was going to be late on tbf, i thought walsh had a decent game when he came on , once again famara who runs all day had a very average game and points again to our lack of recruitment in january when it was screaming out for a target man type striker, the 2nd and 3rd subs were made and you could have taken off 4 or 5 , i would have taken off pack but after watching the last 10 when reading looked like the side to go on and win it maybe weimann was the right decision.

its sad that playing a decent team away is more likely to bring 3pts than a bottom half team at home, however, after watching sheff wed yesterday against norwich , mondays is gonna be tough, boro now 4 wins on the spin and not dominating there games looks like were going to need to get all 11 players performing like they did against wba.

myself, i think we will just miss out and finnish 7th, i still think its a great season and i hope kallas and dasilva will become city players next season and add a couple and we will be in with a good shout next year.

i hope they prove me wrong.

For me I thought Weimann and Hunt were our best two players first half.

Brownhill our best player second half.  Hunt has one of those second halves where his crossing deserted him.

Kalas decent all game.

Far too many 5’ and 6’s out of 10 today.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For me I thought Weimann and Hunt were our best two players first half.

Brownhill our best player second half.  Hunt has one of those second halves where his crossing deserted him.

Kalas decent all game.

Far too many 5’ and 6’s out of 10 today.

Funny you should say Weimann and Hunt because I remember thinking that every attack went through DaSilva and the left side 

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

Funny you should say Weimann and Hunt because I remember thinking that every attack went through DaSilva and the left side 

I would too many went left first half, but the good stuff that resembled a pattern, were right side...just not enough.

I thought Weimann did a lot of running, Diedhiou was staying fairly central for a lot of the first half and Weimann was trying to peel away some of the defenders without much luck. He also looked like he wasn’t going to play all game as he was running over to the dugout before the 4th Official had the board up, tactical and pre-determined sub. 

I got questioned on another thread when I said we have trouble trying to play against sides who don’t want to play football. What I meant was Reading were content to put five across the back and prevent us from playing, which of course is their prerogative. They scored from a well worked free-kick and of course they then had a bit of belief, think they won last week too didn’t they?

Usually we are patient and wear down teams, but as time went on they grew stronger and we faded and ran out of ideas. We had a lot of the ball but again couldn’t break them down. Pretty much all our players passing was off, seemed to be a lot of heavily hit balls that our players just couldn’t control. Walsh has a fierce shot on him but too often he would blast it at our player and it spooned up and was lost. I like Walsh though, just thought he really did look match rusty ( naturally) which added to our problems as much as he helped.

It looked like a typical end of season game without much resting on it yesterday, the weather was hot and the players looked drained, ours more so than Reading’s. Let’s hope the extra 8 hours or so we gained on Sheffield Weds will pay off.

On 20/04/2019 at 11:56, Robbored said:

These  guys work with the players almost every day and are fully  qualified coaches and former professional footballers themselves...

So presumably they've coached our young keeper how to command his area and catch the ball, taught any of eight or more how to cross the ball, players how to shoot et al? Your response also doesn't accord with my post, we had zero shape (ask what formations we played Saturday and you'd be pushed to find two consecutive answers,) and starting with Brownhill where he was given the way we play was utter pointless ( akin loaning Diony, a player whos game is wholly based on pace and balls 'in front' knowing we are unable to play that.)

And in case you'd never noticed there's zip correlation between playing football and being an effective manager. 

49 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

So presumably they've coached our young keeper how to command his area and catch the ball, taught any of eight or more how to cross the ball, players how to shoot et al? Your response also doesn't accord with my post, we had zero shape (ask what formations we played Saturday and you'd be pushed to find two consecutive answers,) and starting with Brownhill where he was given the way we play was utter pointless ( akin loaning Diony, a player whos game is wholly based on pace and balls 'in front' knowing we are unable to play that.)

And in case you'd never noticed there's zip correlation between playing football and being an effective manager. 

I do slightly disagree with the 'zero shape' part. I think it might have a little to do with a problem we have suffered from before, players getting slightly frustrated and hunting for space and so neglecting the original shape a little. I know LJ has the team happy to be flexible, but it did seem (as @Davefevs pointed out) Brownhill was too far forward, and I did think that Weimann was too deep. I think that impacted on the support for Fam so he was a little isolated. The difference between storming into a lead against WBA and being frustrated and struggling? Probably just those chances going in. We do seem to get a little like that some times. 
As for Hunt's problem crossing, I was annoyed he kept trying when it wasn't working. Not just that, targets were limited so it made it easy for defenders, it would take a pretty much perfect cross to create a chance, the Eliasson cross took out the entire team, the one time we had a left footed player bomb down the left wing to the dead ball line and cross. 

Archived