IGNORED

Standard of officiating

Lez

Having watched the football league show on quest there have  been a series of horrendous decisions this weekend....as there are most weekends.

You've got the Wigan red card when it hit him in the chest, sheff wed Fletcher punching the ball in the net, not to mention the handball by their keeper. Plus the dodgy free kick for noriwch at the end. Notts forest cb given a straight red when there was coverPompey score with the bloke well offside and controlling it with his arm....the show isn't even over yet!

Also notice how big teams get the decisions....villa last week leeds today Sunderland today 're Donny penalty....

It isn't good enough, 50/50 decisions fair enough but not clear and obvious.

It is getting worse in my opinion.

34 minutes ago, Lez said:

Having watched the football league show on quest there have  been a series of horrendous decisions this weekend....as there are most weekends.

You've got the Wigan red card when it hit him in the chest, sheff wed Fletcher punching the ball in the net, not to mention the handball by their keeper. Plus the dodgy free kick for noriwch at the end. Notts forest cb given a straight red when there was coverPompey score with the bloke well offside and controlling it with his arm....the show isn't even over yet!

Also notice how big teams get the decisions....villa last week leeds today Sunderland today 're Donny penalty....

Go and take a referees course mate, it’s open to all. Your chance to show your worth ?

17 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Go and take a referees course mate, it’s open to all. Your chance to show your worth ?

I’ve been a ref for many many years and accept that reffing is difficult, subjective (to a point) and open for criticism.... but some of the refs are inconsistent in their decision making within the same game.. The best example is the holding of a defender by a centre forward ALWAYS a free kick.. yet a centre forward ( such as Fam) can be kicked, pulled and thrown around but get nothing.

Not sure your reply is actually that constructive....

17 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Yes it is! However I was a match official for years as were a few on here. 

Over the years I have seen some appalling decisions and probably made a few too. 

However even though refereeing has been a conversation peice for years I honestly think some of the decision making over the last five years has been poor particularly in big games. Hence at least up to a point VAR adoption. Remember the technology has been available for a long time but there is so much at stake now clubs can not afford to shrug there shoulders anymore!

Also a factor here is the rule changes that encourage marginal offsides. Man City Spurs a great example and the constant giving of offside of Weimann even though he is onside. 

£80k per year for an EFL Champ referee I believe.  Below that they are not professionals.  

Someone I know in and around the game is pretty adamant that they are not justifying their salary, in that they do little / no analysis in preparation.  Even things like time wasting, it’s not difficult for us ‘casual’ fans who watch a bit of live football every other week and a bit in tv to know when a player is time-wasting, taking the piss on throw-ins, goal-kicks etc...let alone fouls and the like.

we often say players stealing a living for 90 minutes work (not that i’m one of them), but professional referees are not putting in the hours to justify £80k.

The standard of refereeing is inconsistent, but I’m not sure if it’s getting worse and their job is admittedly made difficult by the amount of cheating players of all teams indulge in. The frustrating thing is when referees are inconsistent within a game and when they fail to deal with things like time-wasting early enough. There’s also little things like being inconsistent when clamping down on players taking throw-ins or free kicks several yards further up the pitch than they should.

One of the things that annoys me the most (and this does seem to be happening more) is when the linesmen don’t want to make a decision (e.g. with throw-ins) and wait to see which way the ref gives it before pointing their flag. 

21 hours ago, Lez said:

The incompetent fool who sent off the Wigan defender for a non exsistent handball...........was the same incompetent fool who gave the non exsistent penalty for Aston last weekend.  Yes it's our old nemesis Scott 'Brown Envelope' Duncan. Who is to Refereeing, what Joey Barton is to Goodwill?

5 hours ago, ashtonphil mk2 said:

I’ve been a ref for many many years and accept that reffing is difficult, subjective (to a point) and open for criticism.... but some of the refs are inconsistent in their decision making within the same game.. The best example is the holding of a defender by a centre forward ALWAYS a free kick.. yet a centre forward ( such as Fam) can be kicked, pulled and thrown around but get nothing.

Not sure your reply is actually that constructive....

My reply was slightly tongue in cheek but also genuine. 

It seems as if referees and linesman are the fool guys in football atm, constantly getting slagged off on this forum. More and more people seem to think they could do a better job judging by some of the comments. 

Well, as there is a big shortage of officials in this country, and many of the local leagues don’t have enough to go round, I wonder if the critics would have a go at refereeing and see how they get on. 

They would then get some idea of how hard the job actually is! 

Re, you point about centre half’s/centre forwards, you would know that the top refs are getting assessed at every game, if the assessor feels that the refs judgement on these incidents isn’t correct, then you would also be aware that the ref would soon be told! 

You would also be aware that centre half’s get away with more because they are nearly always on the blind side of the referee, Whereas the centre forward is nearly always in full view of the referee.  

1 hour ago, Offside said:

The standard of refereeing is inconsistent, but I’m not sure if it’s getting worse and their job is admittedly made difficult by the amount of cheating players of all teams indulge in. The frustrating thing is when referees are inconsistent within a game and when they fail to deal with things like time-wasting early enough. There’s also little things like being inconsistent when clamping down on players taking throw-ins or free kicks several yards further up the pitch than they should.

One of the things that annoys me the most (and this does seem to be happening more) is when the linesmen don’t want to make a decision (e.g. with throw-ins) and wait to see which way the ref gives it before pointing their flag. 

Regarding things like throw ins, the officials are in constant communication with there headpieces, they will be talking to each other in these throw in instances, it’s not a case of a linesman not wanting to make a decision, a lot of the time it’s discussed between the two of them to try and make the ‘correct’ decision. 

4 hours ago, glen humphries said:

It’s not just the pro game where the refs , linsmen are shit , right the way down , tool station, Somerset prem , sum of the refs in those leagues are beyond belief.

Yes, there are some very poor refs in these leagues, but also a lot of good ones. I watch Somerset Senior and Western League football on a weekly basis, the thing is, without them we haven’t got a game. 

The Somerset senior league is a tough one for referees, they don’t get any support, only club linesman. I’m not sure if it’s correct, but I was told it’s the only county league in England where you don’t get three ‘proper’ officials.  

8 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Yes, there are some very poor refs in these leagues, but also a lot of good ones. I watch Somerset Senior and Western League football on a weekly basis, the thing is, without them we haven’t got a game. 

The Somerset senior league is a tough one for referees, they don’t get any support, only club linesman. I’m not sure if it’s correct, but I was told it’s the only county league in England where you don’t get three ‘proper’ officials.  

I watch a lot of amature football, most of the refs are shocking, obviously we wouldn’t have a game without them, but that doesn’t alter the fact most are crap, unfortunately regarding linesman it all comes down to money.

9 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Have you come across the ex premiship linesman, refs in the Somerset prem, pretty sure he was the linesman in the Man Utd , spurs game where he missed the ball going over the line about 3ft , he’s up there with the worst, all billy big balls attitude.

The more players cheat, the more 'incorrect' decisions will be given.

I can also much pretty guarantee, in the majority of controversial decisions - in fact I would say quite a large majority-  whenever a 'correct' decision is made you will get an equal amount of pundits and or spectators saying it is incorrect.

We now have VAR in some games and while it clears up some doubt for a ref on occasion, there are still plenty of times when pundits and or spectators disagree with the outcome.

Whilst a referee- being human- will always make some mistakes, the bigger problem is players cheating and being encouraged to do so.

11 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

My reply was slightly tongue in cheek but also genuine. 

It seems as if referees and linesman are the fool guys in football atm, constantly getting slagged off on this forum. More and more people seem to think they could do a better job judging by some of the comments. 

Well, as there is a big shortage of officials in this country, and many of the local leagues don’t have enough to go round, I wonder if the critics would have a go at refereeing and see how they get on. 

They would then get some idea of how hard the job actually is! 

Re, you point about centre half’s/centre forwards, you would know that the top refs are getting assessed at every game, if the assessor feels that the refs judgement on these incidents isn’t correct, then you would also be aware that the ref would soon be told! 

You would also be aware that centre half’s get away with more because they are nearly always on the blind side of the referee, Whereas the centre forward is nearly always in full view of the referee.  

I doubt anyone on here is under the illusion that it’s an easy job. You have refs & ex refs on here at various standards, and lesser ones like me who have run the line in amature football, it can be difficult. I would love to see the assessors reports from Villa last week, and Leeds yesterday. Consistently seeming to side with the bigger name isn’t a great trait for a ref. I don’t blame linesmen for missing the odd throw, concentrating on forwards pass and  last man you can miss things. Sitting in the lower Lansdown it’s easy to notice just how often they are 5, even 10 yards behind play. The standard of reffing has dropped, but at the same time I think the job has got harder, not helped by players. That doesn’t excuse rank bad decisions, the Leeds pen yesterday, how could he say it was definitely hand ball? And as for CB’s Vs CF’s , I seem to remember Fam getting swung around by his shirt and getting booked for it.

13 hours ago, Offside said:

This is an education thing.  The ref and lino are in comms with each other all the time, these days the flag is to communicate to the crowd what decision they’ve agreed upon thru their mics and earpieces in the main.  It avoids the lino giving one thing and the ref giving the opposite, and undermining him.

From a fan’s perspective it looks like the lino is afraid to make a decision, but in fact it’s not that way at all.

They still make shit decisions....just make them together!!!

19 hours ago, glen humphries said:

It’s not just the pro game where the refs , linsmen are shit , right the way down , tool station, Somerset prem , sum of the refs in those leagues are beyond belief.

Yes I'm really surprised at this. Who wouldn't want to get call various names all afternoon and in some cases assaulted.

I think it would be easier for officials if they were to form a team for the season so they get to know and work with each other.

In regards to VAR, once it’s introduced it’s the last season i will renew my season ticket. To not be able to celebrate a last min winner just in case there is a decision to make is not for me. I like being able to talk about crap decisions ??

16 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

The absolute worst are Sunday league refs, though I appreciate they have no support or, unfortunately as sometimes required, protection. I’ve watched referees allow leg breaking challenges simply because they are too scared to book or dismiss the offender. I’ve almost walked a team off because of it one game

I get extremely frustrated by the lack of consistency....if every ref (and linos) laid their stall out and were subsequently consistent in the application of thier decisions then I could accept it.

There are clear and obvious issues that are left due to a willingness to upset (our pen against QPR was won by the crowd....the ref was hesitant but gave it after the massive reaction from the crowd).....

One travesty is that Linos don't seem to have the courage of thier convictions....against Reading the Lino on the Dolman side went to raise his flag for offside (which the player clearly was) and then checked himself.....

I appreciate that reffing is a high pressure, difficult and about perspectives....and therefore inevitably that there will inevitably be questionable decisions.....bu there seems to have been more of those this season than previous seasons.....

3 hours ago, Snufflelufagus said:

Yes I'm really surprised at this. Who wouldn't want to get call various names all afternoon and in some cases assaulted.

Are you saying the majority of refs are shit because they get called names ? Abuse of refs is out of order but has nothing to door with the refs being shit

On 20/04/2019 at 17:41, The Horse With No Name said:

........the best ref I have seen recently was Keith Stroud. Officious and OTT in his hand gestures sure, but I thought he had a great game. 

True.

But even a broken clock is right twice a day!!!

:innocent06:

38 minutes ago, dave36 said:

EFL have apologised over Duncan’s decisions at Villa, won’t get us the 3 points back an probably won’t help with the charge brought against the club!

......and as a result, he's fourth official on Monday at Sheffield.

(Is that giving him a chance to make amends???)

:dunno:

45 minutes ago, dave36 said:

EFL have apologised over Duncan’s decisions at Villa, won’t get us the 3 points back an probably won’t help with the charge brought against the club!

Will they now apologise again to Wigan over the sending off? If ever a referee needed a significant demotion.........

Archived