IGNORED

Standard of officiating

Lez

Still not entirely sure we can call the disallowed goal a howler or a disgrace but the penalty otoh...cost us a draw IMO.

No good now, quite right. Let's hope it evens out a bit in the last few but I doubt it! ?

The only real time it has gone with us that I can recall? Arguably Rotherham down to 9 and the last minute pen v QPR...which in turn was in a way karma for the wrongly disallowed Pisano goal.

Just Rotherham at home it is then!

23 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Yes, there are some very poor refs in these leagues, but also a lot of good ones. I watch Somerset Senior and Western League football on a weekly basis, the thing is, without them we haven’t got a game. 

The Somerset senior league is a tough one for referees, they don’t get any support, only club linesman. I’m not sure if it’s correct, but I was told it’s the only county league in England where you don’t get three ‘proper’ officials.  

I watch a fair amount of Southern and Western League games, and honestly, the referees I've seen there are more consistent and less prone to shocking games.

Which begs the question of why it's become such an issue at higher levels.

It's not good enough really and I'm sure the problem goes deeper than the officials themselves. To expand a little; when players are encouraged to fake injury by all and sundry ("He's entitled to go down there" - no, he actually isn't if you want the sport to hold some form of integrity) and are not punished for it then it's going to create many problems. When video technology is there to be used in most of the professional game week in and out but some object for one reason or another then complain about incorrect calls - more problems. What about a temporary sin bin for yellow cards like many other sports to encourage better behaviour? What happened to harsher penalties against players who do not respect the referee, even if it's a bad call against them? There's plenty more...

I guess what I'm trying to say is as people who enjoy the sport we should be putting pressure on those at the top who are the cause, rather than the myriad of symptoms. Stuff like the following embarrassment needs to stop;

https://twitter.com/george__lcfc/status/1119358594435174401?s=20

32 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I watch a fair amount of Southern and Western League games, and honestly, the referees I've seen there are more consistent and less prone to shocking games.

Which begs the question of why it's become such an issue at higher levels.

Probably because they have 22 players on the pitch doing their best to con and cheat. 

Im not saying all non league players are angels, far from it, but the vast majority are honest, just a shame that at the top level that’s not the case. Which in turn makes it far harder for the officials. 

Just now, Portland Bill said:

Probably because they have 22 players on the pitch doing their best to con and cheat. 

Im not saying all non league players are angels, far from it, but the vast majority are honest, just a shame that at the top level that’s not the case. Which in turn makes it far harder for the officials. 

That's a fair comment, and the game isn't quite so fast at lower levels (can still be frantic and end to end though).

Ive seen some pretty heinous attempts at cheating in non-league, but it is much less frequent.

On 20/04/2019 at 17:41, The Horse With No Name said:

Last weeks ref at Villa was a total joke, yesterdays was too laid back and lenient. Surprisingly the best ref I have seen recently was Keith Stroud. Officious and OTT in his hand gestures sure, but I thought he had a great game. 

You have clearly never seen Keith Stroud officiate one of our games. He hates us.

14 hours ago, glen humphries said:

Are you saying the majority of refs are shit because they get called names ? Abuse of refs is out of order but has nothing to door with the refs being shit

No Im saying recruitment must be difficult due to it. You will have a limited amount of new candidates. For example how come no lower League players go on to be refs?

Archived