IGNORED

FFS Drop Pack (Merged)

headhunter

1 hour ago, Robin101 said:

Don’t want to be too harsh on Pack because he’s been absolutely flogged this season, not least the previous month. 

He has had a huge part in getting us to this point.

Same for Brownhill. But we do need some serious competition for them next season. 

Injuries to Korey, Liam and Callum not helped with options. 

4 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Let's face it, LJ won't drop Pack for the Derby game, despite his poor form. Hopefully, Marlon will benefit from the five day gap and come back firing on all cylinders. 

Alternatively, has anyone got a prayer mat and some worry beads?

When you’ve burned out 5 days ain’t enough.  He needs complete rest, like an international break gives you.

Tough decision, but I would sacrifice him now.  Although a draw v Derby wouldn’t spell the end of our hopes, I can’t see us winning our last two on the road, so I think we need the win to knock Derby back, who then have Swansea.

I would probably go with something like this.

O’Leary (Mäenpää If fit)

Pisano (Hunt suffering lack of confidence from last couple of games)

Dasilva

Kalas and Webster (go with our best 2)

Morrell and Brownhill (like Huddersfield cup game)

Weimann, Palmer (we need his tricks) and Eliasson

Diedhiou

You could of course go Baker at the back, and play Webster in the midfield instead of Morrell.

LJ won’t change his team. Our abject displays have been crying out for Palmer to start in an offensive role for the last 5 games but we still go defensive and then panic and bring him on when we are losing and expect him to dictate the play in a team now flapping and snapping at shots because we are behind.

42 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I think that we need to buy Palmer and mould our team around him next season. He sees things others don’t. 

Reckon your right Rudolf but the fact Johnson seems unwilling to play him in back to back games suggests otherwise.

He doesn't seem to trust players that can be a 9/10 one week then a 5/10 the next, prefers the steady 6/10 weekly hence playing Wright at fullback at times never going to let you down but unlikely to find that pass or cross that wins you a game.

That's why I fear he will never take us to that next level. He's steady if he's here for he next 5 years relegation battles seem unlikely seasons like the last two being the norm. I know a lot will say what the **** is wrong with that? And it's a valid point.

Our midfield seems to me sums up Lee and the way he wants us to play, were just steady, Bannen or Palmer type players doesn't fit the agenda, Brownhill Pack Whiemann all good players but nobody who starts gets the fans on their feet when running with the ball or that incisive pass.

I so hope we sort Derby out and then have a right go at Millwall so let's start with Palmer Walsh Morrell or whoever let's  not start on the back foot go a goal down in the 43rd min, then be all guns blazing in the 2nd half to force a 1/1 draw.

Come on Lee unleash the dogs, it's last chance at home!!!!!!

1 hour ago, stephenkibby. said:

Like to think your right, but Johnson seems to have a strange amount of loyalty to certain players.

Webster, Kalas, Pack and Famara?

I doubt that any fans would have any dispute about Kalss and Webster being first names on the team sheet. The issue with Pack, and to a degree Famara, is that their selections tend to dictate our playing style and the selections around them.

Pack is a good player at this level, but because he is integral to LJ's team and playing style, if he is off his game then we suffer. A comment was made on another thread about Weimann's clever movement and that his teammates are not on the same wavelength and I think this is one of the problems with Pack's play. he can play a pass, but he is not an attacking passer. Someone like Walsh plays with his head up and looks to play a killer pass and could be just the type of player to make us more effective as an attacking force.

The problem is whether LJ will compromise his thinking all season by dropping his "go to" midfield general.

Don;t get me wrong, Pack has been an important part of the team that has seen us to the edge of the play offs, but based on our last few games, keeping with the same players and style looks like it will leave us falling short. I'm not sure Lj will be prepared t make such a major change at this stage the season.

25 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Apart from being burned out, Marlon has also just given birth.  That is enough to wear out any poor man.

I've heard of versatile midfielders, but that beats everything!

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When you’ve burned out 5 days ain’t enough.  He needs complete rest, like an international break gives you.

Tough decision, but I would sacrifice him now.  Although a draw v Derby wouldn’t spell the end of our hopes, I can’t see us winning our last two on the road, so I think we need the win to knock Derby back, who then have Swansea.

O’Leary (Mäenpää If fit)

Dasilva

Diedhiou

You could of course go Baker at the back, and play Webster in the midfield instead of Morrell.

Dave, I like it, except for that Webster in midfield bit. Let's have him back in defence where we know he performs. Back four tinkering has been part of our recent demise. Morrell in with Palmer would be interesting. Even more interesting, what has happened to Paterson? According to LJ, does he not have that bit of quality the others don't? 

8 minutes ago, intercity said:

Dave, I like it, except for that Webster in midfield bit. Let's have him back in defence where we know he performs. Back four tinkering has been part of our recent demise. Morrell in with Palmer would be interesting. Even more interesting, what has happened to Paterson? According to LJ, does he not have that bit of quality the others don't? 

Re Paterson....I don’t get the undroppable to dropped recent events.

11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Webster, Kalas, Pack and Famara?

I doubt that any fans would have any dispute about Kalss and Webster being first names on the team sheet. The issue with Pack, and to a degree Famara, is that their selections tend to dictate our playing style and the selections around them.

Pack is a good player at this level, but because he is integral to LJ's team and playing style, if he is off his game then we suffer. A comment was made on another thread about Weimann's clever movement and that his teammates are not on the same wavelength and I think this is one of the problems with Pack's play. he can play a pass, but he is not an attacking passer. Someone like Walsh plays with his head up and looks to play a killer pass and could be just the type of player to make us more effective as an attacking force.

The problem is whether LJ will compromise his thinking all season by dropping his "go to" midfield general.

Don;t get me wrong, Pack has been an important part of the team that has seen us to the edge of the play offs, but based on our last few games, keeping with the same players and style looks like it will leave us falling short. I'm not sure Lj will be prepared t make such a major change at this stage the season.

There lies the problem. Of coarse Webster Kalas start if fit but playing Patterson week after week And Pack now when clearly both having no positive impact on games warranted changes.

Morrell in the cup games looked good comfortable on the ball and not afraid to get stuck in. Not a young kid anymore and with Walsh Smith both injured surly he was worth ago at sometime?

Agree with you Johnson will stick with what he trusts against Derby.

Hope i'm wrong but can see it being a carbon copy of so many home games this season.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He said he's only at 60% and needs a rest

Did he say 60% fitness?  If so, why?  Not had any injuries.

Or did he say, he’s only playing at 60% form?  If so, there have been plenty of similar phases through this season, when he’s insisted on playing Pato.

Much as I really rate Palmer, if I was him, I wouldn’t come here, after the limited game time he’s got.  For me he’s tonnes better than Pato.

58 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Did he say 60% fitness?  If so, why?  Not had any injuries.

Or did he say, he’s only playing at 60% form?  If so, there have been plenty of similar phases through this season, when he’s insisted on playing Pato.

Much as I really rate Palmer, if I was him, I wouldn’t come here, after the limited game time he’s got.  For me he’s tonnes better than Pato.

Pato’s definitely a LJ favourite . I reckon he got some dodgy photos of him 

Maybe I misheard but listening in on the radio today, fairly sure Owers suggested at one point that Pack looked like he had an injury.

Regardless, unconvinced it's the reason for his downturn.

Could be a small factor but lots of small aspects can cause a big problem, can all add up.

Walsh could perhaps break the lines. In a central 3 though, be it a 4-3-3, or 3-5-2.

Perhaps even in some versions of a 4-2-2-2.

As for Pack, I'd be loathe to drop him but playing him in a central 2- Eliasson apparently coming inside was curious and perhaps didn't bolster us centrally so much- does him or us few favours.

We lack cover for him (Pack). Only we had a possible alternative in Hegeler, but a mix of injuries, his unsuitability in a '2', his interests in the tactical side and LJ's inability/unwillingness at times to get the best out of what he has at that time put paid to that.

3 hours ago, City_USA said:

Unfortunately LJ has previous for picking his "trusted" players regardless of form. Not LJ bashing, just facts

I don't think it's about 'trusted' players, I think it's the fact that the job Pack does is fundamental to our game plan, and there's no one else who can do it. It's no coincidence we struggle in the games Pack has a mare, like today. Korey would be the only alternative, but that's clearly not been possible. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

O’Leary (Mäenpää If fit)

Dasilva

Diedhiou

Get Semenyo in there - somewhere, anywhere, replace Fanny - and I’d agree ?

6 hours ago, headhunter said:

LJ often talks about fine margins being the difference between success & failure.

I've just tuned in to the HES match feed to hear Pack has given the ball away again and City looking very lack luster in midfield.

Did I hear right last week that Marlon became a dad?

The man is knackered through playing every week and those with kids will know the head space taken by a new born. 

ffs, why does LJ keep playing him when he could drop in Watkins or even move Webster forward?

Btw, is Patterson injured?

Watkins at CM? No way.

Walsh or Morrell would be the best options

Archived