IGNORED

FFS Drop Pack (Merged)

headhunter

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Maybe I misheard but listening in on the radio today, fairly sure Owers suggested at one point that Pack looked like he had an injury.

Regardless, unconvinced it's the reason for his downturn.

Could be a small factor but lots of small aspects can cause a big problem, can all add up.

Walsh could perhaps break the lines. In a central 3 though, be it a 4-3-3, or 3-5-2.

Perhaps even in some versions of a 4-2-2-2.

As for Pack, I'd be loathe to drop him but playing him in a central 2- Eliasson apparently coming inside was curious and perhaps didn't bolster us centrally so much- does him or us few favours.

We lack cover for him (Pack). Only we had a possible alternative in Hegeler, but a mix of injuries, his unsuitability in a '2', his interests in the tactical side and LJ's inability/unwillingness at times to get the best out of what he has at that time put paid to that.

Not from what I saw. He was just shit. Again.

When Mrs P says to Marlon tonight “ere Marlon it’s your turn to wind the babber” I’d like to suggest he does that whilst watching the few highlights there were from today.

The one Marlon you need to watch is your replacement’s tackle on the half way line.

As Mr Punch says “that’s the way to do it”.

Less fannying about, sideways and backwards passing and ******* get some tackles in. Please ??

If Walsh & Morrell are not first team ready and with Smith's injury / injuries, I do wonder why a central midfielder wasn't acquired in January, even a 6 month loan would have done.

Even xavi and iniesta in their prime missed games and were substituted to manage their workload over a season. 

8 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Watkins at CM? No way.

Walsh or Morrell would be the best options

Walsh works for me as a ball player but doesn’t have the sameness physical presence that pack has on his day. Not that he had much of that about him today, I’m a fan of Pack but IMO was woeful today 

25 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I don't think it's about 'trusted' players, I think it's the fact that the job Pack does is fundamental to our game plan, and there's no one else who can do it. It's no coincidence we struggle in the games Pack has a mare, like today. Korey would be the only alternative, but that's clearly not been possible. 

What gamelan was that then? Can I suggest we change it, then we won't need Pack. 

14 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Not from what I saw. He was just shit. Again.

When Mrs P says to Marlon tonight “ere Marlon it’s your turn to wind the babber” I’d like to suggest he does that whilst watching the few highlights there were from today.

The one Marlon you need to watch is your replacement’s tackle on the half way line.

As Mr Punch says “that’s the way to do it”.

Less fannying about, sideways and backwards passing and ******* get some tackles in. Please ??

I probably misheard then. Sounds like he simply wasn't very good.

Game is evolving, tackling is drifting out a bit. Sideways and backward passing are ways to build as well.

Not saying you don't need some aggressive intent- you do. Last 3 games we undoubtedly will. Just that this League had changed beyond recognition this last decade.

If I was on a PC, I would look up and provide some Championship tackling stats for this season. Really not so common as it once was.

8 minutes ago, italian dave said:

The game plan that's got us to the verge of the play offs.

Was a serious question, I wasn't asking for rhetoric. 

Curious to know what people think the gameplan was today. 

Did we go to dictate proceedings or just limit the damage and come away with a sneaky win? What was Pack's perceived role etc etc. 

I wasn't there today, but the gameplan against Reading was awful for me. Cross, cross, cross against one of the tallest defences I've seen in some time. All wrong for me. 

34 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Watkins at CM? No way.

Walsh or Morrell would be the best options

What is this love in for Morrell - he was ok vs Huddersfield and very average vs Wolves?

There is no point pinning our hopes on someone who has not demonstrated the capacity to take a critical game by the scruff of the neck.

we need someone who is capable of handling the expectation - step forward Kasey P

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

LJ said he is playing with an injury and Pato himself said to LJ that he is only playing at 60%, so LJ said he needs a few days rest.

30%off counter at Lidl with a big yellow label!

Palmer 100% happy to tackle all day long!

If he is only at 60% how long has that excuse been good for? BW would never make that excuse, but would give 100% of what he has!

30 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

What gamelan was that then? Can I suggest we change it, then we won't need Pack. 

28 minutes ago, italian dave said:

The game plan that's got us to the verge of the play offs.

It seems to me that there are 4 names that go straight in the team sheet - Kalas, Webster, Famara and Pack.

I doubt anyone has a problem with Kalas and Webster at the heart if the defence, which has been a success story this season. Pack's selection is being questioned because of current poor form,  but his selection tends to dictate the way we play, and influences other selections in the team.

@italian dave says the game plan has got us to the verge of the play offs, but even during our unbeaten and winning run we were often unconvincing, and for a team at the business end of the table there is no denying that our home form, especially recently, has been closer to that of a team fighting relegation rather than one chasing promotion.  In particular we have been notoriously slow starters in home game and seem to continually struggle to impose ourselves on opposition teams. 

I actually like Pack as a player, but wonder whether we need to be a bit more dynamic in midfield to properly challenge at the top end of the championship. Palmer appears to have the qualities we are missing, but he could not be a replacement for Pack. Is the issue that, at the moment, our midfield is built around Pack, but to accommodate a player like Palmer, or whoever we need to give us that dynamism,  Pack might not be the permanent fixture he is at the moment?

A year ago it would have been impossible to imagine that Liverpool could mount a stronger title challenge by replacing Coutinho, but they have, and we are now making a stronger challenge of the play offs than last season but without 3 players that were thought to be essential fixtures in the team, so perhaps thinking the unthinkable is what we now need to improve the team.

Okay back of a matchbox but here goes nothing...

Maenpaa

Hunt Webster Kalas Da Silva

Brownhill Pack Smith/Walsh Eliasson

Palmer

Weimann

Not saying this Saturday but thinking further forward maybe.

• There would be more scope to cover for Pack as Brownhill can come inside as and when. The fullbacks can provide width, while both CB's comfortable on the ball- Webster more spectacular with it, his great runs a key part of this. This central dominance would leave the opposition less scope to harrass Pack, to press him out of a degree of comfort.
  • Maenpaa- the CB's-the CM's-Pack especially-Palmer-Weimann- this can provide a fluid chain, a fluid linkage of passing triangles or combinations right through the middle.
  • Palmer can run at the opposiotion with a bit less worry defensively as the 3 can drift inside as and when.
  • Weimann can press and run hard at the front- helping out defensively. He would also be in his favoured central position and him and Palmer- I think there could be a natural chemistry there that say Diedhiou and Palmer may not have- technically, movement wise- stylistically.
  • The asymmetry could leave the opposition wondering a bit- Da Silva-Eliasson would be a more traditonal left side, Hunt-Brownhill would be more of a modern full back-wide midfielder who can drift in type setup.
  • Could mix and match Pack/Smith/Walsh/Morrell dependent on opposition.

That's the thing though, we have a lot of scope for interesting options. Haven't even discussed O'Dowda- who would based on history be better defensively than Eliasson e.g. Or Morrell who has looked decent in Huddersfield game especially. Or Semenyo- or Kelly if we want to try and get a shape more akin to Fielding; Wright-Baker-Flint-Kelly;Brownhill-Pack-Smith-Bryan;Paterson;Reid- but with better ball playing players and potential at the back!

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

@Harrygoing to be hating this!

Not at all mate. He had a below par game today but was he at fault for the defeat? Absolutely not. 

A wonder strike from Bannan where Brownhill got sucked over too far and didn’t close him down. Plus a poor defensive goal for the 2nd where Brownhill had easily lost possession for Sheff to counter, Hunt dives into a tackle on the half way line, Da Silva doesn’t get into a defensive-cover position when his CB is dragged out, and then fails to deal with a not too difficult clearance because he doesn’t have a right foot. 

Whilst at the other end, Da Silva missed an absolute sitter (again, right foot!), Brownhill also missed an absolute sitter. Weimann could easily have shot on target at least once of 2 very good openings. Whilst Hunt’s delivery when in glorious crossing positions was awful. 

Those were the things that lost the game today. Yes, Pack had a below par game. But Brownhill needs to have a look at himself today, Hunt was dreadful. Da Silva & Weimann both could have gained us points. Not Pack’s fault. 

And if anyone genuinely thinks LJ will drop a player who is integral in our style and tactics, who is regularly the player who has the most touches and most passes and is one of the most experienced players we have, for what is the most crucial game of his tenure, then I think you’re gonna be disappointed. Ain’t gonna happen. Maybe if we had someone like Bannan to replace him - but I seriously doubt LJ is going to replace one of his most crucial players for either Morrell or Walsh, who have less than 10 appearances between them in games of this magnitude at this level. 

Get real folks. 

Best thing LJ can do for Derby is to stop arsing around with Webster in midfield. Get him back to CB with Kalas. Why he’s broken up that solid partnership at this stage of the season is beyond me. 

Get Hunt out of the team and Pisano back in at RB. And maybe tell Brownhill to attend a game again, after being anonymous for the last 2 games. 

So yes, Pack didn’t have a great game today. But writing him off is ridiculous - whilst others are far more responsible for today’s defeat. 

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

It seems to me that there are 4 names that go straight in the team sheet - Kalas, Webster, Famara and Pack.

I doubt anyone has a problem with Kalas and Webster at the heart if the defence, which has been a success story this season. Pack's selection is being questioned because of current poor form,  but his selection tends to dictate the way we play, and influences other selections in the team.

@italian dave says the game plan has got us to the verge of the play offs, but even during our unbeaten and winning run we were often unconvincing, and for a team at the business end of the table there is no denying that our home form, especially recently, has been closer to that of a team fighting relegation rather than one chasing promotion.  In particular we have been notoriously slow starters in home game and seem to continually struggle to impose ourselves on opposition teams. 

I actually like Pack as a player, but wonder whether we need to be a bit more dynamic in midfield to properly challenge at the top end of the championship. Palmer appears to have the qualities we are missing, but he could not be a replacement for Pack. Is the issue that, at the moment, our midfield is built around Pack, but to accommodate a player like Palmer, or whoever we need to give us that dynamism,  Pack might not be the permanent fixture he is at the moment?

A year ago it would have been impossible to imagine that Liverpool could mount a stronger title challenge by replacing Coutinho, but they have, and we are now making a stronger challenge of the play offs than last season but without 3 players that were thought to be essential fixtures in the team, so perhaps thinking the unthinkable is what we now need to improve the team.

You’ve been reading some of my posts.  I think if we want a player like Palmer (See Tomlin, See Trundle etc), you need to make them a focal point...or at least give them the license to be the spark.  They don’t always have to play the “set way”.  I can see why Kodjia wasn’t an LJ player too.  This side needs to evolve this summer (if we don’t go up).  How we do that is not straightforward.

47 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay back of a matchbox but here goes nothing...

Maenpaa

Hunt Webster Kalas Da Silva

Brownhill Pack Smith/Walsh Eliasson

Palmer

Weimann

Not saying this Saturday but thinking further forward maybe.

• There would be more scope to cover for Pack as Brownhill can come inside as and when. The fullbacks can provide width, while both CB's comfortable on the ball- Webster more spectacular with it, his great runs a key part of this. This central dominance would leave the opposition less scope to harrass Pack, to press him out of a degree of comfort.
  • Maenpaa- the CB's-the CM's-Pack especially-Palmer-Weimann- this can provide a fluid chain, a fluid linkage of passing triangles or combinations right through the middle.
  • Palmer can run at the opposiotion with a bit less worry defensively as the 3 can drift inside as and when.
  • Weimann can press and run hard at the front- helping out defensively. He would also be in his favoured central position and him and Palmer- I think there could be a natural chemistry there that say Diedhiou and Palmer may not have- technically, movement wise- stylistically.
  • The asymmetry could leave the opposition wondering a bit- Da Silva-Eliasson would be a more traditonal left side, Hunt-Brownhill would be more of a modern full back-wide midfielder who can drift in type setup.
  • Could mix and match Pack/Smith/Walsh/Morrell dependent on opposition.

That's the thing though, we have a lot of scope for interesting options. Haven't even discussed O'Dowda- who would based on history be better defensively than Eliasson e.g. Or Morrell who has looked decent in Huddersfield game especially. Or Semenyo- or Kelly if we want to try and get a shape more akin to Fielding; Wright-Baker-Flint-Kelly;Brownhill-Pack-Smith-Bryan;Paterson;Reid- but with better ball playing players and potential at the back!

I would happily see a Palmer (no10), Weimann (striker) partnership.  If I were evolving a City Championship side next season, I’d want a pacy, intelligent running striker, and a guy behind him capable of scoring and creating himself.  How many might Weimann have scored playing through the middle all season.  How many might Weimann have scored with Palmer feeding him. 15? 18?

26 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not at all mate. He had a below par game today but was he at fault for the defeat? Absolutely not. 

A wonder strike from Bannan where Brownhill got sucked over too far and didn’t close him down. Plus a poor defensive goal for the 2nd where Brownhill had easily lost possession for Sheff to counter, Hunt dives into a tackle on the half way line, Da Silva doesn’t get into a defensive-cover position when his CB is dragged out, and then fails to deal with a not too difficult clearance because he doesn’t have a right foot. 

Whilst at the other end, Da Silva missed an absolute sitter (again, right foot!), Brownhill also missed an absolute sitter. Weimann could easily have shot on target at least once of 2 very good openings. Whilst Hunt’s delivery when in glorious crossing positions was awful. 

Those were the things that lost the game today. Yes, Pack had a below par game. But Brownhill needs to have a look at himself today, Hunt was dreadful. Da Silva & Weimann both could have gained us points. Not Pack’s fault. 

And if anyone genuinely thinks LJ will drop a player who is integral in our style and tactics, who is regularly the player who has the most touches and most passes and is one of the most experienced players we have, for what is the most crucial game of his tenure, then I think you’re gonna be disappointed. Ain’t gonna happen. Maybe if we had someone like Bannan to replace him - but I seriously doubt LJ is going to replace one of his most crucial players for either Morrell or Walsh, who have less than 10 appearances between them in games of this magnitude at this level. 

Get real folks. 

Best thing LJ can do for Derby is to stop arsing around with Webster in midfield. Get him back to CB with Kalas. Why he’s broken up that solid partnership at this stage of the season is beyond me. 

Get Hunt out of the team and Pisano back in at RB. And maybe tell Brownhill to attend a game again, after being anonymous for the last 2 games. 

So yes, Pack didn’t have a great game today. But writing him off is ridiculous - whilst others are far more responsible for today’s defeat. 

Always interested in your detailed view Harry.  Watching on hesgoal on iPhone is not ideal.  LJ definitely won’t drop Pack, I accept that, but there have been far too many games like this from Marlon of late.  They are the kind of performances that we castigated Paterson for having and retaining his place over the season.

We shouldn’t have to be thinking about going into a crucial set of games and worrying that the only likely replacements (Walsh / Morrell) have played the sum total of bugger all, because LJ has wasted opportunity to get them minutes.  Giving them minutes would also have meant not flogging Marlon and Josh all season.  Vicious circle really.

I don’t think most of us are writing him off, but LJ’s over-dependence on him to the style he wants to play has left him with bugger all left in his tank.  Or at least that is what it looks like to us casual observers.

Do you think he has got the legs for 270 defining minutes of football?  I don’t.  In fact I think it’s actually mental tiredness thrown in as well.

Maybe it’s - ‘Marlon, 100% for 65 minutes rather than 90 minutes at 80%’.

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Get real folks. 

Seven attacks broke down because of Pack. Maybe we score one or two of them and it’s a different game. Far too simplistic to say Pack wasn’t the reason we lost. 

He was our worst player 

12 hours ago, downendcity said:

Webster, Kalas, Pack and Famara?

I doubt that any fans would have any dispute about Kalss and Webster being first names on the team sheet. The issue with Pack, and to a degree Famara, is that their selections tend to dictate our playing style and the selections around them.

Pack is a good player at this level, but because he is integral to LJ's team and playing style, if he is off his game then we suffer. A comment was made on another thread about Weimann's clever movement and that his teammates are not on the same wavelength and I think this is one of the problems with Pack's play. he can play a pass, but he is not an attacking passer. Someone like Walsh plays with his head up and looks to play a killer pass and could be just the type of player to make us more effective as an attacking force.

The problem is whether LJ will compromise his thinking all season by dropping his "go to" midfield general.

Don;t get me wrong, Pack has been an important part of the team that has seen us to the edge of the play offs, but based on our last few games, keeping with the same players and style looks like it will leave us falling short. I'm not sure Lj will be prepared t make such a major change at this stage the season.

And also Pack is Captain when Korey and Wright don’t feature. I think Webster ended up with the armband on Saturday so not a problem as such but to drop your Captain to the bench does something psychologically I think. The rare times Pack hasn’t started previously we haven’t looked any better, in league games anyway, but I agree he is struggling to make a positive impact at the moment.

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Get real folks. 

I asked on another thread whether Brownhill covered himself in glory yesterday so I’m glad you too have brought him up. I know this thread is mainly debating Pack but I don’t think Brownhill has shone at all lately, perhaps his goal has saved him from any criticism, but I don’t think he is blameless if the finger is being pointed at Pack.

29 minutes ago, RedM said:

I asked on another thread whether Brownhill covered himself in glory yesterday so I’m glad you too have brought him up. I know this thread is mainly debating Pack but I don’t think Brownhill has shone at all lately, perhaps his goal has saved him from any criticism, but I don’t think he is blameless if the finger is being pointed at Pack.

Brownhill had some very iffy games before the international break, was really good v West Brom, completely poor positioned first half v Reading, better second half. I only caught 30-45 and the second half and I thought he did ok yesterday. 

They no longer seem to play as a pair!  

Maybe that isnt helping Marlon. Maybe Josh not giving him the angles?

These are the things professional coaches and analysis bods should be identifying. 

10 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Was a serious question, I wasn't asking for rhetoric. 

Curious to know what people think the gameplan was today. 

Did we go to dictate proceedings or just limit the damage and come away with a sneaky win? What was Pack's perceived role etc etc. 

I wasn't there today, but the gameplan against Reading was awful for me. Cross, cross, cross against one of the tallest defences I've seen in some time. All wrong for me. 

Sorry, wasn't meant to be facetious, just to make the point that we've got where we are over 43 games, not just one or two where things haven't worked out or individuals not performed.

Agree with you completely about Reading, especially relying on those crosses from players who consistently fail to put in good ones (Hunt's crossing was awful again yesterday). I think we got the plan even more wrong yesterday, tho in fairness LJ changed it very quickly.

Part of the plan most of the season has been around four at the back, and I don't understand why we've changed that the last two games. For me, Pack struggles to get what he's doing in that formation. Which four at the back he drops back when we don't have the ball, breaks up opposition play through the middle, wins us back possession and either slows it down while we regroup or starts the counter with an incisive pass. 

Our problem yesterday was that with 5 at the back against a team like Wednesday, at home, the wide two spent most of the time in our own half, Brownhill dropped back to provide the second deep midfielder, and bizarrely we played Eliasson centrally, where he looked totally lost. 

We changed it mid first half, when Webster moved into a more deep midfield role, and allowed Brownhill to go forward and Eliasson wide. And when we took Wright off for Palmer that gave us a formation much more like we've had most season, and we looked a lot more comfortable and a lot more threatening. 

And, even allowing for all the above, if Dasilva and Brownhill had taken easy chances we could have got a point!

10 hours ago, downendcity said:

Agree with just about all of that. But I do feel that whilst Webstster and Kalas get the plaudits (rightly) Pack has been a key part of that defensive success this season. I think we've built our game around that defensive approach this season because we are aware of our attacking, and our goal scoring, limitations. 

We need a midfielder in that mould (Skuse did it in the past) who, when we lose possession, can read the game, drop back between the back two, break up the opposition play, steady the ship, even if it means a few sideways passes while we regroup. I don't think we've built that plan around Pack, I just think it's a plan that works given the players overall that we have available, and Pack is the only player we have who can do that well. 

I'd love to see us be more dynamic, I think that's true throughout the team, and yes Palmer is the one bright exception to that! But I think we recognise that such dynamism might lead to more chances on goal, but if the end result of that is what you saw from Dasilva and Brownhill yesterday then it's more important to not concede at the other end!

I think LJ himself would rather we were a Norwich, setting out to score more than we let in. With a Tammy in the side we could do that. This year, not. 

With all the talk about Pack it's Korey that worries me, how long has he been injured on and off? I love Korey and think he's exactly what we're missing when Pack is off form but I just don't see him ever getting back and fit. I think we may actually need to move him and Pack on and bring in a new midfielder or two.

I wouldn’t drop Pack but I would give him more help by playing Walsh who can take more of the play making load. I also think Walsh should be allowed to play further forward than Brownhill; Walsh has a good forward passing range. 

Personally v Derby I would go 4-3-1-2. Pack, Brownhill and Walsh in midfield. Palmer in a roving role behind Fam and Weimann. 

Archived