IGNORED

Is our defence overrated?

AshtonGreat

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

They let in quite a few goals considering the god-like status they have among some people on here...

Part of the blame should go to the midfield. 

Thought the defence was fine today.

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

They let in quite a few goals considering the god-like status they have among some people on here...

The two today were both impressive. The first a screamer from Bannan ( he’s just what we need in a City shirt) another well taken goal created with a lovely dink to Joao from.....Bannan...

Nothing much the City defence could do about either.

6 minutes ago, Redpool said:

No, midfield is the problem. Has been for a couple of seasons. Has never been properly addressed.

Its been obvious we've needed a experienced player to sit in front of the defence to close down players shooting from range or just waltzing through which happens often. 

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

The two today were both impressive. The first a screamer from Bannan ( he’s just what we need in a City shirt) another well taken goal created with a lovely dink to Joao from.....Bannan...

The second one could have been cleared. Sliced the clearance. 

Agree first one was Quality 

I don’t think our defence is overrated but I do think playing with an inexperienced third choice keeper has hampered our approach.

I do not mean that as a criticism of O’Leary who has done really well in the circumstances but I think that is a factor in why we are now playing with five defenders on the pitch and I think the defence sit deeper to protect the keeper more. For me, keeper injuries have defined our season and, had that not happened, we’d have five or six more points on the board and be in a totally different position.

Kalas was outstanding today - our mom. Webster is very classy alongside him.

I’m not a big fan of Bailey Wright, especially on the left side but he doesn’t get too much blame from todays game  - I just don’t think he should have started. 

Hunt needs to be replaced imo. Not pacey enough; crossing is poor - so poor. 

Dasilva has a lot of promise rate him highly. 

Max is work in progress. He has a lot of qualities but also a number of faults. Sending him out on loan to gain experience is one thing but he needs to learn from a top flight keeper. So much of his game presently makes him look like a young Frankie, who has probably spent a lot of time working with him. Hence he makes some unbelievable instinctive saves but is suspect whenever he leaves his line. I thought that he should have done better with Bannan’s goal today. 

As others have mentioned, our problems are in midfield. We gave away possession today so frequently, resulting in both of their goals. 

The foundation of our strong defence is/was Kalas and Webster in the centre. However, it was the way that we played as a defensive unit through the team that made us a strong defensive team.

As others have said, it is perhaps the midfield area that has been compromising our defensive strength recently and LJ playing Webster as a supporting defensive midfielder reinforces that view. Unfortunately trying to shore up one weakness  has in turn weakened our main strength.

Pack seems to have gone off the boil recently, but because he appears to be integral  to whatever formation LJ puts out, LJ is loath to make a change in his position. 

20 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don’t think our defence is overrated but I do think playing with an inexperienced third choice keeper has hampered our approach.

I do not mean that as a criticism of O’Leary who has done really well in the circumstances but I think that is a factor in why we are now playing with five defenders on the pitch and I think the defence sit deeper to protect the keeper more. For me, keeper injuries have defined our season and, had that not happened, we’d have five or six more points on the board and be in a totally different position.

Agree 100% and its not O'Learys fault, think he has the makings of a good keeper but obviously not experienced for a team chasing promotion, to lose 1st and 2nd choice keepers has been a massive blow.

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Maybe not let Bannan have a free shot. We are always giving players space just outside the box and hoping to block whatever shot comes in.

P.S. We. Could try and hit the target ourselves from that sort of range. Our shooting has been dire for months.

1 minute ago, Fatalist said:

Maybe not let Bannan have a free shot. We are always giving players space just outside the box and hoping to block whatever shot comes in.

P.S. We. Could try and hit the target ourselves from that sort of range. Our shooting has been dire for months.

Or clear the ball off the line for the 2nd!

Archived