IGNORED

Is our defence overrated?

AshtonGreat

42 minutes ago, pillred said:

We have one his name is Korey Smith, unfortunately as you know he's been out most of the season and boy have we missed him.

But have we ?

He wasn’t part of our unbeaten run and while he chases and harries, I can’t recall him ever being a game changer in the last 2 seasons (that one night aside).

Our problem is a fit Smith means LJ shoe horns him into a midfield with Pack and Brownhill - It worked against Sheffield but we still conceded 2.

Korey is great but he is not a Pack replacement / Bannon equivalent.

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

The two today were both impressive. The first a screamer from Bannan ( he’s just what we need in a City shirt) another well taken goal created with a lovely dink to Joao from.....Bannan...

Nothing much the City defence could do about either.

The second goal is horrible defending. Its a ball from the half way line and the forward takes it on his chest. There is a LOT a team can do against that, and there are tactical questions to be asked. Would City's former two at centre back not put a head on it? Is the Keeper high enough? Is the shape right? 

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

The two today were both impressive. The first a screamer from Bannan ( he’s just what we need in a City shirt) another well taken goal created with a lovely dink to Joao from.....Bannan...

Nothing much the City defence could do about either.

You and Bannan should get a room Robbored

Interesting one. We’ve only kept 1 clean sheet in the last 13 games. 

Webster has been played in midfield for spells in the last 3 or 4 games. 

Da Silva has been the regular left back rather than Kelly during this spell. 

Hunt has started in 9 of those 13 at right back. 

We’ve switched to 3 at the back on occasions during this spell. 

Also Maenpaa being out has impacted. 

We are at our best defensively when we play 4 at the back Pisano-Kalas-Webster-Kelly. 

Not sure why we’ve deviated from this. I think we need 7 points from 9 to even stand a chance of playoffs and we have to play the back 4 named above. 

5 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

But have we ?

He wasn’t part of our unbeaten run and while he chases and harries, I can’t recall him ever being a game changer in the last 2 seasons (that one night aside).

Our problem is a fit Smith means LJ shoe horns him into a midfield with Pack and Brownhill - It worked against Sheffield but we still conceded 2.

Korey is great but he is not a Pack replacement / Bannon equivalent.

no he's not, but still think until he went off he was our best player, but I recognise there are different things required in midfield either defensively or offensively.

14 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Kalas was outstanding today - our mom. Webster is very classy alongside him.

I’m not a big fan of Bailey Wright, especially on the left side but he doesn’t get too much blame from todays game  - I just don’t think he should have started. 

Hunt needs to be replaced imo. Not pacey enough; crossing is poor - so poor. 

Dasilva has a lot of promise rate him highly. 

Max is work in progress. He has a lot of qualities but also a number of faults. Sending him out on loan to gain experience is one thing but he needs to learn from a top flight keeper. So much of his game presently makes him look like a young Frankie, who has probably spent a lot of time working with him. Hence he makes some unbelievable instinctive saves but is suspect whenever he leaves his line. I thought that he should have done better with Bannan’s goal today. 

As others have mentioned, our problems are in midfield. We gave away possession today so frequently, resulting in both of their goals. 

Agreed, and if LJ could iron out his disciplinary problems I'd try and sign Preston's Ben Pearson, just the hard man we need.

14 hours ago, The Bard said:

Noticeable that despite playing well vs WBA, Baker has not been selected since and Wright has.  I thought Baker did well in that game and would be very tempted to play him, particularly if Webster is moved into midfield and Pack left out.

Yes, I was wondering why Nathan hadn't played since. I thought he offered a more solid defence

14 hours ago, Fiale said:

When Webster and Kalas are partnered in a back four we have looked great most of the season, it's when we go with other options that we look poor.

Spot on. Webster and Kalas are the best CB partnership we have had since the days of Collier & Merrick. It's LJ shoe horning one of his 'trusted' favourites into the back line (BW) that has us looking vulnerable.

I know someone will point out BW played at Sheff.Utd & M'boro, BUT we conceded 2 poor goals against Sheff.Utd and with a bit more luck and composed finishing M'boro could have scored 5 or 6.

15 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Kalas was outstanding today - our mom. Webster is very classy alongside him.

I’m not a big fan of Bailey Wright, especially on the left side but he doesn’t get too much blame from todays game  - I just don’t think he should have started. 

Hunt needs to be replaced imo. Not pacey enough; crossing is poor - so poor. 

Dasilva has a lot of promise rate him highly. 

Max is work in progress. He has a lot of qualities but also a number of faults. Sending him out on loan to gain experience is one thing but he needs to learn from a top flight keeper. So much of his game presently makes him look like a young Frankie, who has probably spent a lot of time working with him. Hence he makes some unbelievable instinctive saves but is suspect whenever he leaves his line. I thought that he should have done better with Bannan’s goal today. 

As others have mentioned, our problems are in midfield. We gave away possession today so frequently, resulting in both of their goals. 

Agree. Max should of saved bannans shot. It wasn’t in the top corner and a long way out. It should of been closed down before that though. The second was poor defending all round 

10 hours ago, Harry said:

Interesting one. We’ve only kept 1 clean sheet in the last 13 games. 

Webster has been played in midfield for spells in the last 3 or 4 games. 

Da Silva has been the regular left back rather than Kelly during this spell. 

Hunt has started in 9 of those 13 at right back. 

We’ve switched to 3 at the back on occasions during this spell. 

Also Maenpaa being out has impacted. 

We are at our best defensively when we play 4 at the back Pisano-Kalas-Webster-Kelly. 

Not sure why we’ve deviated from this. I think we need 7 points from 9 to even stand a chance of playoffs and we have to play the back 4 named above. 

I have posted previously that although I would like to see the right backs improved upon Pisano-Kalas-Webster-Kelly is the best defensive unit.There is the foundation to City's success this season.

Kalas and Webster have been consistently remarkable. As in remarkable for their defending and Websters ability on the ball. That ability on the ball can also be considered a defensive attribute. Webster has been in superlative form at centre back. Mr Johnson has taken the decision to change superb for less than.

18 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

They let in quite a few goals considering the god-like status they have among some people on here...

They've gone from playing a flat back 4 to a hybrid 5/3, there will always be hic-ups when making changes.

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I have posted previously that although I would like to see the right backs improved upon Pisano-Kalas-Webster-Kelly is the best defensive unit.There is the foundation to City's success this season.

Kalas and Webster have been consistently remarkable. As in remarkable for their defending and Websters ability on the ball. That ability on the ball can also be considered a defensive attribute. Webster has been in superlative form at centre back. Mr Johnson has taken the decision to change superb for less than.

I broadly agree with this- think Webster is great on the ball and is our best technical defender, but despite this Kalas has more technical ability than he has shown so far, but Webster is just great going forward and in possession.

Pisano? Always had him down as better defensively and Hunt as the preferred option when we are going for it. Kelly v Da Silva- think it depends on our approach, certainly if we are going with WBs then it'd be Hunt and Da Silva all day long for me. Kelly? LB quite possibly- certainly if we setup in a narrower shape as he can come inside- something that Pisano is also better suited to than Hunt.

6 hours ago, billywedlock said:

After 43 games last season, we had one point less than we have now 65  ( but were 11th not 7th ) , we had a goal difference of 10 as opposed to 7 now. This year after 43 games we have let in 49 goals , last year 50. We have scored 56 this year last year 60. So, in reality we have pretty much performed in an identical fashion to last season, and  progress is more down to the relative dynamic of the league around us. Our own results and performance are within a goal or two identical, as are points acquired. The teams above us are significantly worse defensively vs last seasons top 6 .

If we want to progress in future we will need to learn how to score goals in this league without subsequently losing our reasonable and stable defensive performance. Not so easy. We are 20 to 25 goals short . That will not surprise anyone. 

Hit the woodwork 20 times. Several goals- somewhere between 3-5- wrongly disallowed.

Not saying we haven't lost a goal threat- we have- but are you factoring in that great intangible called luck? Also not saying that every single example would have resulted in a goal but our ratios of near misses via woodwork or disallowed to goals scored, are pretty high when analysed.

The Woodwork:

• Once at Bolton
  • Twice at home to Middlesbrough
  • Once at West Brom
  • Twice at Rotherham
  • Once at home to Sheffield Wednesday
  • Once at home to Hull
  • Twice at home to Stoke
  • Once at Reading
  • Once at home to Millwall
  • Once at Derby
  • Once at home to Rotherham
  • Twice at home to Bolton
  • Once at home to Ipswich
  • Once at Sheffield United
  • Once at home to West Brom
  • Once at Sheffield Wednesday

Disallowed goals- all questionable ones here:

• Weimann at Derby- Dubious- lots on here seemed to think it was on.
  • Weimann at Nottingham Forest- Clear and obvious officials decision.
  • Weimann at home to Swansea- Close, maybe just right.
  • Pisano at home to QPR- Wrong.
  • Weimann at Aston Villa- Very tight, these things really don't even out for us though!

Forgetting the disallowed goals, hitting the woodwork 20 times in a 56 goal season is remarkable all told. Remarkable!

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I broadly agree with this- think Webster is great on the ball and is our best technical defender, but despite this Kalas has more technical ability than he has shown so far, but Webster is just great going forward and in possession.

Pisano? Always had him down as better defensively and Hunt as the preferred option when we are going for it. Kelly v Da Silva- think it depends on our approach, certainly if we are going with WBs then it'd be Hunt and Da Silva all day long for me. Kelly? LB quite possibly- certainly if we setup in a narrower shape as he can come inside- something that Pisano is also better suited to than Hunt.

Again in thread I posted about a team playing that is offensively conservative and the emphasis on the full backs is on defending v getting forward. It is not necessarily what I would want to watch but given the squad, transfer windows it is what I suggested would get results by being tighter defensively. 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

They've gone from playing a flat back 4 to a hybrid 5/3, there will always be hic-ups when making changes.

I could argue that the second goal City conceded yesterday was due to too much change. Numerous players were at fault or unsure of their roles. A ball has travelled forty metres in the air and nobody even attempts to put a forehead on it. The team collectively are not high, low or compact. Error as a result of change is predictable, Mr Johnson has chosen to alter the teams shape. 

On 23/04/2019 at 13:46, Cowshed said:

I could argue that the second goal City conceded yesterday was due to too much change. Numerous players were at fault or unsure of their roles. A ball has travelled forty metres in the air and nobody even attempts to put a forehead on it. The team collectively are not high, low or compact. Error as a result of change is predictable, Mr Johnson has chosen to alter the teams shape. 

That's what I'm saying, there will always be hiccups when you change tactics, it takes time do adjust and learn new things but we need to be able to do that. You can stay with one formation and one style but sooner or later people will figure you out and find a way to beat you if you remain one dimensional. 

We're not Man City or Liverpool, we're a small club with a smaller budget and we don't have those big name players which means there is a gap in quality. The only way to make that up is by working harder, being smarter and getting the tactics right. We could sit back and stick with what we've found that worked for some time or we can adapt and learn new things that give us more option. It's my opinion that LJ is trying to make our players more diverse and able to adapt rather than being a one trick pony. If it works then fantastic, if it doesn't then we need to figure out what we can and can't do and work with that. 

I think LJ is doing the right thing, that may be controversial as right now we have a great chance to push for the Premier League but ultimately our strength will come from tactics because we can't beat the bigger teams with like to like quality. 

Archived