IGNORED

Huge 3 games for LJ

City_USA

We can pick out the poor performance of a few of our players due to tiredness, fatigue and injury resulting in poor results as late. However In my opinion these last 3 games will come down to Lee's team selection and tactics. These games are his opportunity to show all us fans and the footballing world what he's made of. Get it right and his credit goes through the roof. Get it wrong and there will be a lot of " I told you so's "

I for one hope that it's the former and we shock the league and pull out some class performances like we did in the cup run last season. 

Always believe COYR!

5 minutes ago, City_USA said:

We can pick out the poor performance of a few of our players due to tiredness, fatigue and injury resulting in poor results as late. However In my opinion these last 3 games will come down to Lee's team selection and tactics. These games are his opportunity to show all us fans and the footballing world what he's made of. Get it right and his credit goes through the roof. Get it wrong and there will be a lot of " I told you so's "

I for one hope that it's the former and we shock the league and pull out some class performances like we did in the cup run last season. 

Always believe COYR!

Even if we finish 8th I don’t care about any ‘I told you’ posts as they will be without foundation 

By that logic he should be getting credit for his tactics and team selection for getting us in this position. Big 3 games for our football club, whatever happens now we Should be proud to be in the mix! 

I certainly never expected to be in the playoffs at the the start of the season.

1 minute ago, SODS_LAW said:

By that logic he should be getting credit for his tactics and team selection for getting us in tho apparition. Big 3 games for our football club, whatever happens now we Should be proud to be in the mix! 

I certainly never expected to be in the playoffs at the the start of the season.

I agree that he should get credit for where we are right now. It's just at this stage of the season the players are tired, carrying knocks and feeling the pressure. They need someone to inspire them over the finish line. That's what successful managers/ head coaches do. LJ has the opportunity to do just that. I hope he can!

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Even if we finish 8th I don’t care about any ‘I told you’ posts as they will be without foundation 

No “I told you so’s here” RD, but inconsistency of selection / formation has crept in over the past few games.  I don’t think any of us know what team will be picked again.  I’m not suggesting there’s a simple answer, but it feels like it’s being over complicated again.  Our front-line is again miles away from our backline forcing our defenders to hit hopeful passes.  I believe the international break gave our players’ batteries a little top-up and that boost is gone.  Fatigue in the midfield to keep the lines close together 1) to allow us to pass and 2) to avoid being stretched and having large distances to press over.  We’ve allowed games to become too open.

I think Pack’s legs have gone for the season, and that’s not me trying to make him the scapegoat, it’s LJ’s insistence of building a game around a player with no alternative option, or him daring to be left out.  It equals a system revolving around a knackered player.

We need a team who can play at 110% on Saturday v Derby.  It’s got to be about energy, like the 25 minutes v West Brom.  That to me was the point Pack burned out, that 25 minutes of high press did for him.  It’s not his fault.

We can still do this, but we need energy and spark to turn 6/10s in 7s and 8s out of 10.  We have Derby to play....it’s huge....LJ needs a 90 minute re-boot. 

I would say the title should be aimed to SL not LJ.

We are a club that has progressed but missing key quality in key areas....if we don't make it SL needs to see that if we are to continue to progress, we need proven quality to go Along side the talent we have.

And it's a huge summer for lj, because if we don't get the investment he wants......he might get itchy feet and there will be plenty of suiters from bigger clubs than us.

1 minute ago, Lez said:

We are a club that has progressed but missing key quality in key areas....if we don't make it SL needs to see that if we are to continue to progress, we need proven quality to go Along side the talent we have.

And it's a huge summer for lj, because if we don't get the investment he wants......he might get itchy feet and there will be plenty of suiters from bigger clubs than us.

Agreed if he were to get us into the playoffs and we were to fall short in the final LJ should be looked at very closely by other clubs. "Small margins" and all that. Failure to strengthen in January window does fall in part to SL

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No “I told you so’s here” RD, but inconsistency of selection / formation has crept in over the past few games.  I don’t think any of us know what team will be picked again.  I’m not suggesting there’s a simple answer, but it feels like it’s being over complicated again.  Our front-line is again miles away from our backline forcing our defenders to hit hopeful passes.  I believe the international break gave our players’ batteries a little top-up and that boost is gone.  Fatigue in the midfield to keep the lines close together 1) to allow us to pass and 2) to avoid being stretched and having large distances to press over.  We’ve allowed games to become too open.

I think Pack’s legs have gone for the season, and that’s not me trying to make him the scapegoat, it’s LJ’s insistence of building a game around a player with no alternative option, or him daring to be left out.  It equals a system revolving around a knackered player.

We need a team who can play at 110% on Saturday v Derby.  It’s got to be about energy, like the 25 minutes v West Brom.  That to me was the point Pack burned out, that 25 minutes of high press did for him.  It’s not his fault.

We can still do this, but we need energy and spark to turn 6/10s in 7s and 8s out of 10.  We have Derby to play....it’s huge....LJ needs a 90 minute re-boot. 

Shame we can’t put you in charge for remaining games you got it all sussed out!

10 minutes ago, Lez said:

I think he would go if he got a Prem (who wouldn’t) Offer or a big Champ club.

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

inconsistency of selection / formation has crept in over the past few games.  I don’t think any of us know what team will be picked again.  I’m not suggesting there’s a simple answer, but it feels like it’s being over complicated again.

But we’re in this position because of unusual team selections, example against WBA!

17 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

Which Prem clubs do you think would go for him?

No idea....big risk for anyone.  Brighton, if Hughton went?  Bournemouth, if Howe went elsewhere?

11 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

But we’re in this position because of unusual team selections, example against WBA!

Yes and no.  We have had a very decent season, and we are still in with a chance of play-offs, and it’s churlish to moan, but at home, we have chased far too many games, and I do think some of that is by trying to be a bit clever.

West Brom was great for 25-30 minutes, and we got our goals (deservedly), but once they’d sussed it and changed themselves, we were under the cosh for large parts.

I can genuinely only think of one home game which we controlled (I didn’t say dominate, because it’s rare to dominate any team over 90 minutes in this division) pretty much from start to finish....Swansea....2-0.

The two Sheffield Utd games have been good tactically.

Away has been different. I think he likes to set up cautiously, and grow into the game....a typical away tactic....and it’s served him well.  Swansea away too was perfect.

But there has been a lot of mixed stuff too.

I’m really hoping we can return to a semblance of form for the last 3 games, and see what happens. 

1 hour ago, Lez said:

We could have picked up Dave McGoldrick on a free last summer - he was rubbished by all the wise ones on here in the Transfer Forum but he was signed by the Blades and has so far splaffed 15 goals this season.

Hindsight is both beautiful and a bugger - but what might have been? He would have been perfect to keep Fammy on his toes and to give him a rest when needed. 

McGoldrick’s 15 goals have come at a much better ‘minutes to goal’ ratio than Fammy - sometimes you don’t have to shell out zillions to get a success story - the Blades took a chance on him, and he has delivered.....15 goals and counting - that’s only 4 less than Bobby Reid got last season ..... our club doesn’t seem to take chances without wasting all the millions - eg Engvall, Moore, Eisa - sometimes you go with experience and it can pay off....

.....but we don’t do that with players or managers .... why is ‘short term’ such a despised phrase at our club?! Why not sign a player knowing he will only be with us for a couple of years but he may be the missing piece in that time? What the hell is wrong with that if it helps to get us to where we want to be? We signed Pisano when he was nearly 31.....

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We could have picked up Dave McGoldrick on a free last summer - he was rubbished by all the wise ones on here in the Transfer Forum but he was signed by the Blades and has so far splaffed 15 goals this season.

Hindsight is both beautiful and a bugger - but what might have been? He would have been perfect to keep Fammy on his toes and to give him a rest when needed. 

McGoldrick’s 15 goals have come at a much better ‘minutes to goal’ ratio than Fammy - sometimes you don’t have to shell out zillions to get a success story - the Blades took a chance on him, and he has delivered.....15 goals and counting - that’s only 4 less than Bobby Reid got last season ..... our club doesn’t seem to take chances without wasting all the millions - eg Engvall, Moore, Eisa - sometimes you go with experience and it can pay off....

.....but we don’t do that with players or managers .... why is ‘short term’ such a despised phrase at our club?! Why not sign a player knowing he will only be with us for a couple of years but he may be the missing piece in that time? What the hell is wrong with that if it helps to get us to where we want to be? We signed Pisano when he was nearly 31.....

Sensible post, but no guarantees he would’ve came here and had same impact.  We signed a striker for £2m in the summer who’s hit 10 goals despite playing right wing for 25+ games.

I do agree that sometimes a short term player might be what you need.  Get them on a free, pay the wages, and enjoy the short time they’re here.

First things first, beat Derby on Saturday and see where we are after that. It’s going down to the wire for sure. One game at a time.

If we beat Derby & Millwall, Boro fail to beat Reading and Derby fail to beat Swansea then we’re in the play-offs. Anything can happen. 

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sensible post, but no guarantees he would’ve came here and had same impact.  We signed a striker for £2m in the summer who’s hit 10 goals despite playing right wing for 25+ games.

I do agree that sometimes a short term player might be what you need.  Get them on a free, pay the wages, and enjoy the short time they’re here.

Coming from Ipswich, with their mega-tight budgets, I doubt McGoldrick would have cost us too much in terms of wages - The Blades aren’t operating on anything like lavish wage budgets, so getting him on a free was a master stroke - he has been instrumental in their probable promotion to the premier league. And talking of wages, I heard on Talksport last night that Cardiff’s entire annual wage bill is £11m less than Liverpool paid to agents alone last season....can that really be true?! Perhaps we shouldn’t want to go up - we can’t compete with that sort of guff!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think he would go if he got a Prem (who wouldn’t) Offer or a big Champ club.

We should be so lucky!

If he is such a good manager / head coach how come our home form is not far away from relegation and has been, apart from three or four games, utterly boring and unentertaining.

Only the fact that the away form is exceptional, and I acknowledge his input to this, that we aren't staring at the bottom six. The trouble is that he tries to play same tactics at home.

We are living in a fool's paradise because if the away points are back to normal, there is only one way to go. I know dozens of you will be calling me a misery but in football you build success on rock solid home form with away points as the bonus.

11 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We should be so lucky!

If he is such a good manager / head coach how come our home form is not far away from relegation and has been, apart from three or four games, utterly boring and unentertaining.

Only the fact that the away form is exceptional, and I acknowledge his input to this, that we aren't staring at the bottom six. The trouble is that he tries to play same tactics at home.

We are living in a fool's paradise because if the away points are back to normal, there is only one way to go. I know dozens of you will be calling me a misery but in football you build success on rock solid home form with away points as the bonus.

Jono is a defence minded coach. Lets not concede and wele see where we go from there.

our approach to winning games compared to Sheff Utd is like chalk and cheese. Some will say but we have beaten them twice. Done a number on them for sure, but they shake it off and go and win the next game.

Look at them today, promotion on the line Yorkshire derby do they play it cagey? No 3/0 up in less than 30mins away from home.

Is it only 2 games out of 43 that we have won by more than one goal?

Tells a storey for me only the attack minded Pullis has a top half side with less goals than us. I think the last side  to win this division with a rear guard approach was Wigan and that's a day or two ago.

Just feel the Sheff Utd way is so much better to watch top of the league or half way up. Brentford good to watch maybe the odd attack on the playoffs but entertainment.

Fine line I know between success and or entertainment depends what consider success.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Spot on Dave, couldn’t agree more with all of that

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Coming from Ipswich, with their mega-tight budgets, I doubt McGoldrick would have cost us too much in terms of wages - The Blades aren’t operating on anything like lavish wage budgets, so getting him on a free was a master stroke - he has been instrumental in their probable promotion to the premier league. And talking of wages, I heard on Talksport last night that Cardiff’s entire annual wage bill is £11m less than Liverpool paid to agents alone last season....can that really be true?! Perhaps we shouldn’t want to go up - we can’t compete with that sort of guff!

We can compete with it if we go up - £120m to start with helps, although I am most certainly NOT suggesting we blow the TV money on wages.

We also have to remember that we are not a Liverpool or Man Utd regarding income and never will be. We have to aim to be a Bournemouth or a Burnley.

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No idea....big risk for anyone.  Brighton, if Hughton went?  Bournemouth, if Howe went elsewhere?

Yes and no.  We have had a very decent season, and we are still in with a chance of play-offs, and it’s churlish to moan, but at home, we have chased far too many games, and I do think some of that is by trying to be a bit clever.

West Brom was great for 25-30 minutes, and we got our goals (deservedly), but once they’d sussed it and changed themselves, we were under the cosh for large parts.

I can genuinely only think of one home game which we controlled (I didn’t say dominate, because it’s rare to dominate any team over 90 minutes in this division) pretty much from start to finish....Swansea....2-0.

The two Sheffield Utd games have been good tactically.

Away has been different. I think he likes to set up cautiously, and grow into the game....a typical away tactic....and it’s served him well.  Swansea away too was perfect.

But there has been a lot of mixed stuff too.

I’m really hoping we can return to a semblance of form for the last 3 games, and see what happens. 

I'd actually be interested who the last manager from the Championship or lower leagues was that joined a Prem club directly? Most Prem teams go for the usual suspects or foreign managers.

17 hours ago, Ryan_BCFC said:

First things first, beat Derby on Saturday and see where we are after that. It’s going down to the wire for sure. One game at a time.

If we beat Derby & Millwall, Boro fail to beat Reading and Derby fail to beat Swansea then we’re in the play-offs. Anything can happen. 

It's not necessarily going to the wire. If we lose to derby we'll be 4pts adrift of them and our hopes will be all but dashed.

The Derby game is about keeping our chances alive.

Archived