IGNORED

Bannan and Pack

189thoughts

6 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

id go for sawyers at Brentford if baz bannan don't fancy it ere

Much do you think he would go for? I think it would be £9m+. 

Need to train Walsh - we can't afford to buy other championship players.

30 minutes ago, 77 punk said:

i think sheff weds have ffp issues not sure if bruce will have money

We do indeed, and will be likely to face another transfer embargo in the near future. We've got a lot of high earners out of contract that we'll probably lose, like Westwood and Hooper. Plus the useless high earners like Abdi and Jones that we can't wait to get rid of. 

Bannan has recently signed a new contract though, and is obviously a key player for us. I'd be amazed if we considered any offers for him. He's probably on around 30k a week I'd guess. 

20 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

We do indeed, and will be likely to face another transfer embargo in the near future. We've got a lot of high earners out of contract that we'll probably lose, like Westwood and Hooper. Plus the useless high earners like Abdi and Jones that we can't wait to get rid of. 

Bannan has recently signed a new contract though, and is obviously a key player for us. I'd be amazed if we considered any offers for him. He's probably on around 30k a week I'd guess. 

With the best will in the world.

Given your apparent FFP issues, I don't know how you were allowed to loan Lazaar, Aarons in January plus buy Iorfa. Season loan for Onomah too I believe? None aren't exactly bargain basement, tiny wages.

Always assumed reason Westwood and some others out the squad for you under Lukhay was a way of showing willing for FFP...doesn't stack up.

Would've thought more realistic steps to dodge sanctions would be moderate Championship players on loans or frees, plus Bannan and maybe Forestieti out- either on loan with wages paid by club and a loan fee or outright sold. Reach obviously very saleable.

Keeping the latter 3, recalling Westwood, plus loaning Aarons, Lazaar and buying Iorfa? That's a long way from that!!

16 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

A player of Bannans quality is what we have lacked since Freeman was sold. 

I know players like him don't come cheap and everyone wants them but **** me, I'm amazed we've done nothing to address this over 4-5 windows. 

Need 3 more windows , but they’re all double glazed ?

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

With the best will in the world.

Given your apparent FFP issues, I don't know how you were allowed to loan Lazaar, Aarons in January plus buy Iorfa. Season loan for Onomah too I believe? None aren't exactly bargain basement, tiny wages.

Always assumed reason Westwood and some others out the squad for you under Lukhay because of showing willing for FFP...doesn't stack up.

I don't know how it was allowed either, it appears us (and others) seem to ignore the rules to some extent. 

Agree about Westwood and the other "out of favour" players. It created big arguments amongst the Wednesday fans, I was very much (and still am) in the financial reasons camp, while others were adamant it was entirely down to the manager.

A week or so before he was sacked we had a very heated fan's forum where the owner had a bit of a meltdown and said he'd sell the club. He also repeatedly denied that he'd told the manager he wasn't allowed play certain players.

Luhukay was sacked a couple of days later and the missing players immediately returned to the squad. That was proof in some people's eyes that it was the manager all along, but I think the chairman just decided to loosen the purse strings to satisfy the fans. 

2 hours ago, Neutral said:

Bannan is what we need: great final ball, drives the team forward and looks to shoot.

We need to sign someone similar to Bannan in the summer.

I said that last summer and was hoping City would at least approach the Owls but nothing happened as far as I know.

LJ does like Bannan tho so you never know what’s in the pipeline or going on behind the scenes...........:cool2:

1 minute ago, BessexRED said:

Not you. Just the Bannan love in shining through again that we spoke about on here the other week, never seen anything like it for an opposing player with no ties to the club.

Personally I think he is a “nice” player who would NOT suit the way LJ has had us playing at any point in his tenure.  I don’t get the love-in myself.  But each to his own.

I agree with @Shtanley, I think Walsh is THAT player that we want vision, skill talent and intent. What I think we need to add is a ball winner. Pack has been flogged to death over the last two years, with Korey seemingly permanently injured we have had no cover or alternative DMF, or ball winner. If Walsh hadn't been injured I'm convinced he would have had a decent run, and quite possibly cemented his place. He spreads play better, and quicker than Pack, is 2 footed and can shoot. I really think he needs a run, it's just an incredibly difficult time of the year to come into a side. 
Plus Bannan is 29 , would cost a big fee and demand ridiculous wages. Much more likely to go down the @JonDolman route of Joe Williams.
Plus we had agreed a fee (£1m) for Williams, until he got injured and we signed Palmer. He's OOC in June 2020, but I can't see if he's fit or playing again yet. 

I honestly do believe Pack is one of the most overrated players we’ve had in a long time. Don’t get me wrong, he’s classy, he’s technical and he’s very, very decent. But players like him are ten a dozen. He couldn’t be more replaceable for someone to pick the ball up and keep it ticking. The purists will tell you he’s great because he is a good link player, but 18 of the 24 teams in this division will have one who can do his job. The exceptional players have tricks up their sleeve, Pack has height and a bit of guile which sets him apart, but I would say that’s about it. No tugging off over the reverse pass here. 

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Personally I think he is a “nice” player who would NOT suit the way LJ has had us playing at any point in his tenure.  I don’t get the love-in myself.  But each to his own.

C’mon Dave. Bannan is a class act and surely experienced enough to adapt to Citys style of play. 

I’d love to see him in a City shirt.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Interesting to see if Bannan stays at Weds in the summer; if so, and with Bruce guiding the Owls, they'll be serious top six material.

You can’t say that! The wise ones on here smack down anyone who supports proven, successful, championship managers - they are all ‘dinosaurs’ apparently - including Steve Bruce with his meagre managerial record of four promotions from the championship to the premier league and an FA Cup Final ....

I havent seen anything to suggest that walsh is that player. Hes a small midfield player, but is more like lj was as a player if you ask me. Theres practically no goal threat, not much in the way of taking the game by the scruff of the neck, or leadership. 

Pack is knackered now, smiths been out all season, brownhill has been looking good, and much like diedhou, we dont have any credible alternative to turn to

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You can’t say that! The wise ones on here smack down anyone who supports proven, successful, championship managers - they are all ‘dinosaurs’ apparently - including Steve Bruce with his meagre managerial record of four promotions from the championship to the premier league and an FA Cup Final ....

If FFP is enforced correctly, let's see how good he is?

Still think he'll do alright but you are overlooking Sheffield Wednesday not yet properly complying with their obligations- which is an unfair advantage.

Walsh, Williams, Pack and Brownhill plus Korey at some point would be a good midfield to rotate in and out. 

We never seem to have a full team. We had too many forwards last season. This season too many central defenders and wingers. Short on midfielders and strikers 

Think Williams is a good shout. A taller and athletic ball winner. Would give us flexibility with Walsh. Can maybe see LJ reluctant to play Walsh with say Smith in those holding roles as too small or Brownhill who would maybe have to be more disciplined in going forward. 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If FFP is enforced correctly, let's see how good he is?

Still think he'll do alright but you are overlooking Sheffield Wednesday not yet properly complying with their obligations- which is an unfair advantage.

I didn’t mention Sheff Weds or FFP in my post - just mentioned Bruce’s proven, successful championship record ....

Archived