IGNORED

Bannan and Pack

189thoughts

15 minutes ago, simon uk said:

I havent seen anything to suggest that walsh is that player. Hes a small midfield player, but is more like lj was as a player if you ask me. Theres practically no goal threat, not much in the way of taking the game by the scruff of the neck, or leadership. 

Pack is knackered now, smiths been out all season, brownhill has been looking good, and much like diedhou, we dont have any credible alternative to turn to

Old thinking on your part perhaps- what's size got to do?

Game has changed. He was great v Stoke 2nd half. Play him in the right system and sure it's just one game but it can give him- plus more importantly the team- a better platform from which to flourish?

16 minutes ago, simon uk said:

I havent seen anything to suggest that walsh is that player. Hes a small midfield player, but is more like lj was as a player if you ask me. Theres practically no goal threat, not much in the way of taking the game by the scruff of the neck, or leadership. 

Pack is knackered now, smiths been out all season, brownhill has been looking good, and much like diedhou, we dont have any credible alternative to turn to

Walsh looks and passes forward. It is almost as simple as that. He has also grabbed games by the scruff of the neck and dictated it. Stoke at home is a great example. He got on the ball a lot and got us forward a lot. I imagine he’d have a few like Bannan over a full season including some free kicks. Mind you Bannan has 6 goals in 3 seasons. He is regarded so highly because of his ball retention and passes forward. 

55 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I said that last summer and was hoping City would at least approach the Owls but nothing happened as far as I know.

LJ does like Bannan tho so you never know what’s in the pipeline or going on behind the scenes...........:cool2:

He probably would love to have him here.............but we cannot compete financially, also he is 29. LJ will find a younger player to bolster our midfield

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I didn’t mention Sheff Weds or FFP in my post - just mentioned Bruce’s proven, successful championship record ....

He's good but he has also spent a few quid down the years.

Mind you, so do a lot of sides! Yeah he's good but let's see how he does if things enforced correctly.

Just adding a bit of context.

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You don’t sign players and want them to adapt to our style. You should sign players that fit our system already . 

Agreed but we seem to play in such a complicated way that it takes at least a year for new signings to adapt to it!

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You don’t sign players and want them to adapt to our style. You should sign players that fit our system already . 

2 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Agreed but we seem to play in such a complicated way that it takes at least a year for new signings to adapt to it!

Across the 2 points.

Another take might be that our setup doesn't allow certain players who are otherwise technically sound to adapt in the best way. 

Put another way, how do the top sides setup on this league? LJ overall well in credit but I just feel he's lacking something. In these respects anyway.

8 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Jeez...........:disapointed2se:

So every first team signing LJ has made didn’t have to become familiar with City's style? 

Take Famara for example....

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Jeez...........:disapointed2se:

So every first team signing LJ has made didn’t have to become familiar with City's style? 

Take Famara for example....

That isn’t what you said though was it you condescending  old fart. Every player  has to become familiar of course but you wouldn’t sign players that wouldn’t suit the way you want to play. 

Jeez.…… ?

3 hours ago, Neutral said:

Bannan is what we need: great final ball, drives the team forward and looks to shoot.

Pack: out of form, tired and so many mistakes today. Losing the ball and misplaced passes.

We need to sign someone similar to Bannan in the summer.

Quite right. But will not get a quality proven Championship because we will inevitably lose out to other clubs in the division. Surely we need to look for a player who is on the way up and could be that type of player from the best of league 1.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Personally I think he is a “nice” player who would NOT suit the way LJ has had us playing at any point in his tenure.  I don’t get the love-in myself.  But each to his own.

Interesting stats on both this season

pack - 45 apps, 2 goals, 12 yellow cards

bannan- 43 apps, 4 goals, 13 yellow cards

unsure on the assists but would envisage bannan has more. 

22 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

Interesting stats on both this season

pack - 45 apps, 2 goals, 12 yellow cards

bannan- 43 apps, 4 goals, 13 yellow cards

unsure on the assists but would envisage bannan has more. 

9 assists for BB....3 for MP.  MP a much better screen in front of the back 4 than BB though.  Swings and roundabouts.  As above I don’t see BB solving our problems.  And we are above Wednesday!!

Bannan I've never been fully sure about, age maybe? Wage?

Not saying that he isn't a good player, he clearly is but there's something about him that hasn't made me think 'Yep- he's undoubtedly the one!'

What we perhaps need is a player like Bradley Dack. Can we find one- or perhaps mould one? We were in for him but I forget the year?

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

9 assists for BB....3 for MP.  MP a much better screen in front of the back 4 than BB though.  Swings and roundabouts.  As above I don’t see BB solving our problems.  And we are above Wednesday!!

My thoughts exactly on your last point!

Pack and Bannan play different roles in midfield. Pack job is more protective  whereas Bannans job is more creative and why BB has more assists.

We all know that City have lacked midfield creativity all season and why LJ uses the full backs to bomb forward.

Lets hope LJ has a creative midfielder on his shopping list this summer. 

11 hours ago, BessexRED said:

Not you. Just the Bannan love in shining through again that we spoke about on here the other week, never seen anything like it for an opposing player with no ties to the club.

Bessex, your comment got me thinking... I remember there was plenty of support & more for Graham Kavanagh to come to City, probably over a decade ago now! Very good player of course, as is Bannan. Wishful thinking on both counts probably.

8 hours ago, OwlsonlineAdmin said:

We've complied. 

How so?

All the speculation is that you were already in a tight spot before January dealings...accounts and allowable deductions will be telling I guess.

If it's through nefarious means, I hope EFL throw thew book- at yourselves, Aston Villa and Derby.

3 years to which year were compliant? 17/18 or 18/19?

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How so?

All the speculation is that you were already in a tight spot before January dealings...accounts and allowable deductions will be telling I guess.

If it's through nefarious means, I hope EFL throw thew book- at yourselves, Aston Villa and Derby.

3 years to which year were compliant? 17/18 or 18/19?

We've complied hence no sanctions,  we've consulted the SL tax dodge

19 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

A player of Bannans quality is what we have lacked since Freeman was sold. 

I know players like him don't come cheap and everyone wants them but **** me, I'm amazed we've done nothing to address this over 4-5 windows. 

Your not suggesting Freeman is on Bannan's level surely?

1 hour ago, OwlsonlineAdmin said:

We've complied hence no sanctions,  we've consulted the SL tax dodge

I'd say it is more that the EFL are crap tbh, at enforcing it in a timely manner.

If you've got away with it for now then all well and good for you- but they seem to lack the will or ability to implement their own rules correctly or consistently- see Exhibit A Aston Villa and Exhibit B In-season punishments using projected accounts.

Hope those in breach get denied promotion this year if indeed they are in a position for it, no matter who they are- and if they stay down, get the points deductions and other sanctions next year. Job'll be a goodun- if the EFL can enforce it correctly of course. :thumbsup:

ANyway I won't post about this on here again on this thread- I don't want to divert it off topic...there's a perfectly good FFP thread.

On 23/04/2019 at 16:09, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd say it is more that the EFL are crap tbh, at enforcing it in a timely manner.

If you've got away with it for now then all well and good for you- but they seem to lack the will or ability to implement their own rules correctly or consistently- see Exhibit A Aston Villa and Exhibit B In-season punishments using projected accounts.

Hope those in breach get denied promotion this year if indeed they are in a position for it, no matter who they are- and if they stay down, get the points deductions and other sanctions next year. Job'll be a goodun- if the EFL can enforce it correctly of course. :thumbsup:

ANyway I won't post about this on here again on this thread- I don't want to divert it off topic...there's a perfectly good FFP thread.

Apparently we are under the FFP level (strong rumour, not a Derby dodge but just about done it). 

On 22/04/2019 at 18:56, reddogkev said:

Interesting to see if Bannan stays at Weds in the summer; if so, and with Bruce guiding the Owls, they'll be serious top six material.

Nah - the wise ones on here dismissed Bruce as a ‘dinosaur’ many moons ago - there is no way, according to them, that Bruce can ever achieve anything - yet they choose to continually ignore his FOUR promotions from the championship to the premier league as manager - and he delivered a FA Cup Final appearance along the way - what a hopeless manager .....

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nah - the wise ones on here dismissed Bruce as a ‘dinosaur’ many moons ago - there is no way, according to them, that Bruce can ever achieve anything - yet they choose to continually ignore his FOUR promotions from the championship to the premier league as manager - and he delivered a FA Cup Final appearance along the way - what a hopeless manager .....

Time will tell. 

Being honest I didn't want him, his short allegiance to Sheff Utd put me off, however I'll admit I was wrong about the man if not the manager, I didn't realise what an absolute good bloke he is off the pitch, ignore his 90+fergie persona, off the pitch he is tremendous. 

People have said why did we give him time to travel, well his agreement with Villa meant he couldn't manage til Feb 1st but the chairman waited, the fans waited and SB waited cos it worked for all. A small bit of trust between SB and our chairman will count for a lot IMHO next season, we will cut our cloth and may lose a player but its about time, roll on August. 

1 minute ago, OwlsonlineAdmin said:

Time will tell. 

Being honest I didn't want him, his short allegiance to Sheff Utd put me off, however I'll admit I was wrong about the man if not the manager, I didn't realise what an absolute good bloke he is off the pitch, ignore his 90+fergie persona, off the pitch he is tremendous. 

People have said why did we give him time to travel, well his agreement with Villa meant he couldn't manage til Feb 1st but the chairman waited, the fans waited and SB waited cos it worked for all. A small bit of trust between SB and our chairman will count for a lot IMHO next season, we will cut our cloth and may lose a player but its about time, roll on August. 

You’ve got a top, proven, successful Championship manager there chief - enjoy!

1 minute ago, OwlsonlineAdmin said:

Maybe but he's the first man I truly trust to manage us since Ron Atkinson, either time

Our owner appointed a proven manager at this level, and the one above, in April 2010 - it went spectacularly wrong - the guy buggered off after a couple of games - ever since then we’ve only appointed guys that no-one in the football world has really heard of - we just pootle along having a go.... our owner seems more than happy with that - you’ve got a proper gaffer at this level - good luck ...

Archived