IGNORED

Is it Lee or the players?

Top Robin

When we lose like we have done recently is it because Lee is picking the wrong team with he wrong shape and not motivating them sufficiently. Or is it that the players are just not good enough whatever the selection to get us up.

My view is that Lee does make some questionable team selections which have undoubtedly had a negative effect on the results. But also there are some players who are just not up to the standard required to get us up. 

So I guess it all comes back to Lee as it is definitely a squad bought and picked by him.

Gotta be 50:50. Sometimes LJ gets the tactics wrong, sometimes the players don’t execute

Johnson has played many formations this year - he is not afraid to change the shape which I think is a good thing

Its clear to me the major part that needs upgrading is the engine room - CM. We have relied on two players pretty much all season

19 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Its clear to me the major part that needs upgrading is the engine room - CM. We have relied on two players pretty much all season

The engine is most definitely tired......we need an injection of faith and motivation to oil the cogs of what was (once) a sight to behold..........want to see Pack playing beautiful disguised balls through to Fam and Weimann.....like he used too....sadly he's shattered.

20 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Gotta be 50:50. Sometimes LJ gets the tactics wrong, sometimes the players don’t execute

Johnson has played many formations this year - he is not afraid to change the shape which I think is a good thing

I agree but that depends on the situation with Kalas, Dasilva, Kelly and Baker. 

I think we have 3 players that are first teamers - Pack, Smith, Brownhill. We have 2 player's that are on the fringe - Walsh and Palmer and we 2 others that are not close - Dowling and Morrell.

Of our 3 first teamers 1 has been injured nearly all season.

For me Walsh and Palmer with Brownhill could be a great replacement for Smith and Pack but they need to step up now and make a case for themselves, I think they have had opportunities and shown glimpses but it's not enough right now. 

14 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

The engine is most definitely tired......we need an injection of faith and motivation to oil the cogs of what was (once) a sight to behold..........want to see Pack playing beautiful disguised balls through to Fam and Weimann.....like he used too....sadly he's shattered.

Pack looks tired. Palmer and Walsh don’t. 

We have heavily relied on a core group which needs some inspiration. When Palmer came on we looked purposeful and he has some skill at his feet.

Walsh looks decent in a fetch and carry role, however we conceded several poor goals lately which hurts us and Hunt has lost his usual trusty crosses leaving only Elliason to accurately get the ball in!

however we are Jekyll and Hide and we never quite know what’s coming in the next game from us. Pressure is on Derby now which may just free us up enough  

There should be competition for every place on the team! If there isn’t it’s because the coaching staff are not up to the job.

All season long we have seen players overlooked while some of those on the field have been tired, unfit or just plain not up to it and still got picked! This problem was evident last season as well - often! Remember Kent and the injured Bailey it was not their fault they were subbed off when the game was gone, competition would have ensured they would not have started!

Today was another example of this! At least 4 of the starting 11 were not on their game so it follows there is no real competition for places, indeed a better starting 11 would have perhaps ensured that there was more enthusiasm on the bench ( I am presuming that Palmer, Morell and Semenyo would have started in an 11 picked on merit!)

One home win since February 12th - unfortunately that’s what has made it a difficult task to reach the top 6 - the game at Millwall will be our most difficult remaining game in my opinion ..... they are fighting to stay in the division ..... the team selections over the last few games have been baffling - that has to bring into question the thinking of the management team ....

For me today’s performance was down to fatigue / lack of energy, mostly in the middle. You could blame LJ for not bringing another midfielder in maybe but had Smith not got injured again we would have had some fresh legs to use. Pack was dead on his feet today, whether that’s too many games or late nights with the baby who knows? I don’t think it was laziness or lack of effort on his part I just think he’s shot right now.

Sloppy passes, slow to make decisions and poor crossing could all be down to heavy legs. We know Elliason for example is a great crosser of the ball but couldn’t manage it today. JDS was decent but the last person you want in front of goal on their weak foot.

We were better second half with fresh legs, infact it was almost one way traffic and if we’d got one we’d have got two or three IMO

2 seasons running and 2 massive opportunitys missed and the bottom line is investment. We simply haven't invested in key area's properly and taken the cheap option.

1: Goal scorer

2: Ball winning CM

3: Keeper

It will be a massive summer and some big discussions need to take place on what we want to achieve as a club. Progression is key and we have achieved it to a certain extent but is LJ the man to take us to the next level?? If so then he will need significant funds to do so but will it happen from SL?? With 3 cup finals left I guess we will all see what fire is in our bellies and surely there's no better incentive and motivation than 6th place finish which we should have secured long ago or will those key area's mentioned above bite us in the arse by going cheap. Intresting hearing Gary Owers thoughts on tactics today and also singled out key area's still lacking. 

6 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

2 seasons running and 2 massive opportunitys missed and the bottom line is investment. We simply haven't invested in key area's properly and taken the cheap option.

It will be a massive summer and some big discussions need to take place on what we want to achieve as a club. Progression is key and we have achieved it to a certain extent but is LJ the man to take us to the next level?? If so then he will need significant funds to do so but will it happen from SL?? With 3 cup finals left I guess we will all see what fire is in our bellies and surely there's no better incentive and motivation than 6th place finish which we should have secured long ago or will those key area's mentioned above bite us in the arse by going cheap. Intresting hearing Gary Owers thoughts on tactics today and also singled out key area's still lacking. 

Good post

To be honest, I don’t feel today is the issue. We lost because we were away to a good team who scored more goals than us. If we miss out, I think the reasons will be our difficulties in beating poorer teams at home.

Today Bruce has a better day than LJ and the Owls’ team had a better day then our team. But we’re still having a good season. 

LJ is not perfect and there are areas we need to improve - pretty much the ones @Allwaysred highlights above, although I’m not sure the issue is us going cheap so much as the fact the players we want tend to have bigger clubs interested too - but LJ has improved season on season and I am skeptical there is a manager available and willing who would do a better job. You only need to look at Ipswich and QPR for examples of teams who changed managers because they they thought the grass was greener and have had disappointing seasons.

It has to be a bit of both. LJ does like to mix the formations and defensively we just seem a bit weak of late. Whether that's tiredness and too many games for some players, it certainly seems that we are not "on form" other than sensational opening 20 minutes against West Brom. The loss of Korey Smith can't be underestimated as I am sure LJ would have wanted to use during these last few games to support or even replace Pack or Brownhill, but that isn't going to happen.

LJ has some huge decisions to make for Saturday. Win against Derby and it's potentially back in our own hands as to whether or not we make the playoffs. And some players such as Palmer might really have to step up as a starter, rather than 20 minute cameos. Personally I would also go back to 4 at the back with Kalas & Webstee in central defence. Play 3 in midfield with Brownhill supporting Pack (who will get picked again) and Palmer further forward. Have Eliasson and Weimann supporting Diedhiou up front. Hopefully that would be solid but also have enough attacking potential for what is a must-win 6 pointer.

I think it’s predominantly about players, and those players carrying out the plans.

Not enough of them are currently winning their battles against their opposite number.  We are a side that needs to have a better sum of the parts.  We rarely have an individual who wins a game on their own, like other teams.  Weimann v Sheff Utd, a rare one-man shining light in a decent team performance.  We haven’t reached the heights, and for me the international window allowed a quick re-charge of the batteries, but they’ve quickly discharged.

It is tough for a team like City to keep it up over 46 games without the odd player sparking a 3 pointer on their own.  It probably becomes the differentiator for a team like us.  It is probably why we have streaks.

It is nothing to be ashamed of, if we do fall away.  However, we are still right in it.  The players need to find something now, or the head coach instil something.

I suppose thus is a real test of LJ, more so than the players.

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

Wednesday are 4th in the form table if you go back to when he took over?‍♂️ Hardly like today was going to be easy to get something from.

Accepted that today was going to be tough. They had just nearly beaten Norwich. Reading were the same a couple of weeks earlier. In this league, as it's so tight, if you are not 100% on your game and in form, there is a major risk that you will lose to a team who is on form, just as we did today. It partly explains all those draws at home, where most teams come and try to not lose. And why the Championship is far more interesting and unpredictable than the Premier League, where it's basically the big boys with most money in the top 6 and the rest, who may occasionally pull off a "shock" result.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I di think LJ chops and changes too much.

Don’t think so, if you are Walsh, Morel, Palmer, Eliason, Kelly, engval, Magnussen or who ever and sit on or behind the bench every week and see how some of the nailed on selections perform again and again, you will be thinking Bristol City is not the place for You!

our home form and the dips show this to be the problem - we need bold decisions and the “safe” players need to be dropped when they don’t perform! It does not matter why the performance drops, if you are not on the game you should not be in it!

courage from the top down COYR

Sorry but I am angry, my team is letting me down!

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it’s predominantly about players, and those players carrying out the plans.

Not enough of them are currently winning their battles against their opposite number.  We are a side that needs to have a better sum of the parts.  We rarely have an individual who wins a game on their own, like other teams.  Weimann v Sheff Utd, a rare one-man shining light in a decent team performance.  We haven’t reached the heights, and for me the international window allowed a quick re-charge of the batteries, but they’ve quickly discharged.

It is tough for a team like City to keep it up over 46 games without the odd player sparking a 3 pointer on their own.  It probably becomes the differentiator for a team like us.  It is probably why we have streaks.

It is nothing to be ashamed of, if we do fall away.  However, we are still right in it.  The players need to find something now, or the head coach instil something.

I suppose thus is a real test of LJ, more so than the players.

I most certainly won't be ashamed of Bristol city more frustrated at the chances that have come and gone. I one major grip I have with fans who say we're not ready yet or we're tired which infuriates me. Well when actually will we be ready?? And let's not forget are 12 KO against Reading was so we could rest before playing today's team who had less rest and four 1st team injurys than us. I fear this will be another chance missed on what we actually needed instead of trying to sell £1 Easter Eggs for £7.... 

This all comes down to us not having brought in sufficient quality and numbers in the windows,, for lj to have us where we are is a remarkable achievement, and im not his biggest fan, and the players have given us everything. 

Semenyo may go on to be a great premier league striker, but the club recalling him as our new striker option is one of the reasons we are struggling now. It’s obvious we needed a proven alternative to diedhou to share the load with him, the same with pack and brownhill to an extent. 

5 minutes ago, simon uk said:

This all comes down to us not having brought in sufficient quality and numbers in the windows,, for lj to have us where we are is a remarkable achievement, and im not his biggest fan, and the players have given us everything. 

Semenyo may go on to be a great premier league striker, but the club recalling him as our new striker option is one of the reasons we are struggling now. It’s obvious we needed a proven alternative to diedhou to share the load with him, the same with pack and brownhill to an extent. 

Same as last year but not identified as a priority. I will ask you all this, if SL decides this summer to give say 20million to LJ to spend on what's needed would you trust him to do so???

Diedhieu needs support, we all see that, when he gets it we score!

another strike option would have been good, but we don’t have it, when we set up to suit him it works, so why don’t we when it matters? If we are not going to provide support then it would be better to play without a 9! Even Paterson would be a good option in that situation!

but i’m Not a coach on a huge wage

48 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

Always disappointing to lose and at such a crucial stage. I don’t think we’ve gone on the cheap and LJ mentioned in January he wouldn’t bring players into make up the numbers and by the sound of things we were in the mix for Hogan/Assombalonga but didn’t have the funds. I assume FFP held us back.

i think we’ve been unlucky with injuries Smith/Walsh and Fielding/Maenpaa and now Odowda/Paterson. We’ve lost depth and to certain extent experience and creativity in key positions but I do agree we are light upfront. That said every team will have injuries but does feel we’ve had more than our fair share.

On this basis we have and continue to do well to be in the position we are in, given injuries and lack of depth at the top of the pitch. 

Archived