IGNORED

Is it Lee or the players?

Top Robin

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Couldn’t agree more.  Time for LJ to show his space-hopper sized gonads and make the right decision / team selection.  That decision would be easier with Korey Smith fit!!

I would seriously think about bringing Morrell in.  LJ won’t, but I think he’d be a better fit than Walsh for this game.  Imho, Morrell v  Bolton was better than Walsh v Stoke.

I would also seriously consider leaving Fam out and letting Weimann and Taylor be complete pests around Keogh.  Again it won’t be what LJ does.  Fam has shown his effective he can be as a sub too.

Saturday is a long time coming.

He won’t drop Pack. It’s now 3 games to go and because of Korey’s injury, we are limited to options.

Pack has been one of the consistent performers up until recently so to drop him at this key stage of the season, I think is a mistake. He’s a physical presence and our experienced head in the middle of the park - He has to play imo.

Agree about Morrell though, I thought he was brilliant against Bolton.

19 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

To whom are you referring?

I know Watkins is the Norwich player, but Sheffield United striker- they've had quite a few of late. ?

McGoldrick 15 goals and 5 assists. Apparently not our style apparently. Baffling.... We so say work 2 or 3 transfer windows in advance to identify what we need but some how fail where it matters why????

2 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

McGoldrick 15 goals and 5 assists. Apparently not our style apparently. Baffling.... We so say work 2 or 3 transfer windows in advance to identify what we need but some how fail where it matters why????

Yeah, do rate McGoldrick. Would he have been turned down on age or?

Think he is good enough technically, linkman- assists and most importantly seems to know where the goal is.

23 hours ago, Top Robin said:

When we lose like we have done recently is it because Lee is picking the wrong team with he wrong shape and not motivating them sufficiently. Or is it that the players are just not good enough whatever the selection to get us up.

My view is that Lee does make some questionable team selections which have undoubtedly had a negative effect on the results. But also there are some players who are just not up to the standard required to get us up. 

So I guess it all comes back to Lee as it is definitely a squad bought and picked by him.

In any line of work....the buck always stops with the manager

I do think its a mentality thing.  I'll be the first to admit I was massively wrong about LJ in some ways.  He has proved he is a very good coach, and can certainly coach players to become better players.  Brownhill, Pack, Bryan, Reid to name a few....

But....and its a big but....I just don't believe he has the knack of helping these players become mentally strong enough.  When there is expectation, and there is a game we are expected to win....we just don't seem capable of taking a game by the scruff of the neck and grinding out a win.  Wins at Sheffield United, Boro etc..... brilliant achievements, but no one expected us to win those. There was very little pressure on the players, all the pressure was on the home team.  As soon as we are in a position where we are favorites, and we are expected to deliver....we just cant!

This problem is not a new one this season.  We had it last season to. And in some ways, the season before that

The recent results versus Reading and Wigan were just not a surprise to anyone of us

When you see Cardiff last year.....Sheffield United this year....can you honestly say that they are/were better then us? man for man?

Sheffield United go to Hull yesterday....pressure on....and win.  Not only that, but win convincingly

I don't believe he will ever have it about him unfortunately

19 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

McGoldrick 15 goals and 5 assists.

How many would Weimann have had he played centrally all season?

Apparently not our style apparently.

Where is that sourced from?

Baffling.... We so say work 2 or 3 transfer windows in advance to identify what we need but some how fail where it matters why????

It’s not a supermarket (I know you know that), McGoldrick is from Nottingham, might’ve been a reason.  In fact, Wilder said he wanted to return north!

Fair play to DM, happy to go on trial first, to secure a deal.  One year deal, with an option....That sounds like a man who wanted to go there.

https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2018/july/mcgoldrick-signs/

In a similar vain, we picked up Mäenpää on a free, That was good recruitment.

Devil’s advocate ⬆️⬆️⬆️

21 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

January 2019? Agree, in part- Palmer was useful but Assombalonga on loan? That would have been a great calculated gamble. Wouldn't have wrecked us financially either IMO. Should have pushed harder for him- weould have dovetailed very nicely with what we have at our disposal.

I really don't think that was ever a viable option. From what I've read, Boro were testing the water to see what they could get, and what interest was about. They may have sold, allowing them to buy, if the price was right (£15m + ?). Hasn't he played 40+ games this season, never going to let a regular first teamer out on loan , and we were never paying £15m for him, even if he was available.
I must admit, got a little excited when I saw we were linked , thought he would have been a perfect fit for us. 

On 22/04/2019 at 19:15, Top Robin said:

is it because Lee is picking the wrong team with he wrong shape and not motivating them sufficiently. Or is it that the players are just not good enough whatever the selection to get us up.

It's definitely because we're not the division's best (or second best, or third best, or [repeat until about seventh best']) - that's why we lose games. It's also because it's quite rare to not lose a game when you play a load of games, 46 being an excellent example of a 'number' of games. It is because it's sport and you can't win'm all, whether you change the bloody team or tictacs or you don't. We can over think this, Top Rob - and you're welcome to, this is a forum, after all - but given that it's generally identified the manager made a tit of things in previous years by doing exactly that, I'm not going to over think anything. If I'm going to do any thinking at all, and it's not confirmed yet one way or t'other, then it will definitely be of the 'under' variety. 

All that said, I 'think' we'll beat Derby on Saturday.

bloody hell that sounded like a 'rant' from @Moments of Pleasure Rant over. Apologies if already mentioned/mods please merge me with others/first time poster, go easy/it doesn't work like that, mate.

Oh, and I wasn't aiming to sound facetious.

23 hours ago, Allwaysred said:

Exactly this........ he chose not to take a certain Sheffield United striker on because he didn't fit with our identity but scored goals but instead bought a injury prone Norwich flop who's fans actually laughed when we bought him and apparently that was good business baffling.

Who was the Sheff Utd striker? 

On 22/04/2019 at 19:15, Top Robin said:

When we lose like we have done recently is it because Lee is picking the wrong team with he wrong shape and not motivating them sufficiently. Or is it that the players are just not good enough whatever the selection to get us up.

My view is that Lee does make some questionable team selections which have undoubtedly had a negative effect on the results. But also there are some players who are just not up to the standard required to get us up. 

So I guess it all comes back to Lee as it is definitely a squad bought and picked by him.

Who are you or any of us to question the decisions made by the Head Coach after discussing everything with his assistants?

These guys are well qualified coaches all with a background of being professional footballers themselves and yet fans who have no such qualifications or experience feel worthy of criticising their formations, team selections and tactics.........ffs.........:disapointed2se:

Add to that the fact they know all the players well, know how fit they are and see them in training  almost every day - none of us are armed with all the finer details and yet some of us feel that they’re qualified to criticise the decisions they make.

Its like going to you GP who diagnoses your complaint and you then tell them that they got it wrong.......jeez..........:facepalm:

23 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

I do think LJ has the tendancy to overthink things, and worry too much about the opposition. Often, it works out for us and we have got some fantastic results this season. Sometimes it backfires though, and I can't understand some of the decisions from yesterday and against Reading where we played into their hands by being overly negative.

Players are just players. All but the very best of them drift in and out of form, go through periods of underconfidence/injuries etc. It's the HC's job to manage all that and ensure he is picking a team that know's it job and can perform confidently. For me, it's LJ who has been lacking in these last couple of fixtures.

To criticise him.too much however would be ridiculous given the season we've had, and the posts calling his team gutless and spineless are pathetic. He simply makes mistakes, as we all do but we can clearly see the progression made.

Good post and final point.. We also need to consider and respect the Championship though, look at Wigan's and Reading's last 6 results.... It's not just us that they've picked up points against recently.

Wigan 0 Brentford 0: BCFC 2 Wigan 2: Hull 2 Wigan 1: Wigan 1 Norwich 1: Leeds 1 Wigan 2: Wigan 2 PNE 0

Reading 2 PNE1: Hull 3 Reading 1: Norwich 2 Reading 2: Reading 2 Brentford 1: BCFC 1 Reading 1: Reading 0 WBA 0

And to the OP here's a quote from Batman... "We've come a long way from the Prime Minister's exploding cake. Or have we?" 

Look at Millwall's last 6 results.. Not going to be easy either..

Leeds 3 Millwall 2: Millwall 2 WBA 0: Millwall 0 QPR 0: Sheff Utd 1 Millwall 1: Millwall 1 Brentford 1: Villa 1 Millwall 0.

On our day we can easily win our last 3 games.. But who knows... Hopefully we'll get a couple of dodgy referee decisions that actually go our way. ?

On 22/04/2019 at 22:29, ScottishRed said:

I am not buying the whole ‘he’s shattered’ argument. He is a professional athlete with a lot of assistance available on tap to ensure he is not shattered - he has played a lot of games but for me the problem is that he is actually punching way above his weight at this level and is being found out.

Indecisive and wants way too many touches. He actually does not fit our style of play at all.

On 22/04/2019 at 21:39, robin_unreliant said:

All this talk of Pack being tired baffles me. It's Monday. He doesn't play again now until Saturday. If a professional sportsman in his prime can't play two games in 5 days there is something seriously wrong. 

You can be the fittest person on earth, but you can still get tired.  It's not just the legs, it's mental fatigue as well.  Players get tired.

By your arguments, you shouldn't take time off work as you're a professional <<insert relevant job>>.  You should just keep going forever, at 100%.

There’s loads of reasons for us falling away from the pack but as far as I’m concerned the club needs and out and out finisher!!!

As much as Diedhiou gives it his all he ain’t no Abraham or Kodjia

These two are head and shoulders more talented and would have scored more for us this season. 

We need to have some quality in place by time it all kicks off again in August. 

It will cost the club but they raked it in on the back of selling Flint Bryan and Reid and Kodjia the previous season

Its an absolute must if we are to progress 

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, do rate McGoldrick. Would he have been turned down on age or?

Think he is good enough technically, linkman- assists and most importantly seems to know where the goal is.

There were plenty of ‘ not good enough ‘ posts on OTIB when his name cropped up as a possible target in the summer . 

As to Lee or the players ? 

Well, the buck stops with LJ . He’s the boss , he decides who plays , what formations to employ and so on. 

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

You can be the fittest person on earth, but you can still get tired.  It's not just the legs, it's mental fatigue as well.  Players get tired.

By your arguments, you shouldn't take time off work as you're a professional <<insert relevant job>>.  You should just keep going forever, at 100%.

Yes that does happen however, all of these players are on the cusp of potentially achieving something that they have probably dreamed of I don't see mental fatigue being an issue right now - it may well occur in different circumstances but not right now. If they do feel that way then they must make the coaching team aware and let them make the decision on whether they play or not - now it is not the time for any passengers.

Regarding the second highlighted phrase I think you have completely missed my point - players at this level have access at their place of work to high level professional assistance to aid them with any symptoms of physical or mental fatigue - their body is the tool of their trade and they have a far higher level of support available than any 'normal' job in that respect. 

Archived