IGNORED

Millwall Travel

MattWSM

I don’t think there’s parking. I’m driving to West London then training it. Usually park in Hammersmith then easy ride across town.

London Bridge then South Bermondsey. Get off there, walk with my A to Z open proudly wearing my City shirt....

What on earth could go wrong? ?

• Admin
9 hours ago, MattWSM said:

What is the best route to Millwall? 

I am driving. So should I park and then tube in or drive to the ground?

There are a number of ways of getting to the ground, but the most straightforward, if not the shortest in distance is to follow the A2 into London from Junction 2 of the M25.

The A2 actually passes the ground. Once you go past New Cross Gate tube station on your right the ground is about a mile further on.

The only awkward bit is about half way in-between New Cross Gate and the ground where the road splits into two. Keep to the right following the signs A2 City/Westminster. You will come to the ground on your right.

Street parking can be found on the small estate on your left just past the ground, otherwise, be wary of on street parking restrictions around the area of the ground so check lamp posts for signage.

There are no sizeable car parks around the ground (typical British Planning!). 

There is also the option of renting a private driveway near the Den via YourParkingSpace.co.uk.

Post Code for SAT NAV: SE16 3LN 

5 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I don’t think there’s parking. I’m driving to West London then training it. Usually park in Hammersmith then easy ride across town.

London Bridge then South Bermondsey. Get off there, walk with my A to Z open proudly wearing my City shirt....

What on earth could go wrong? ?

?? 

Well, sending Millwall down a start! 

13 hours ago, phantom said:

There are a number of ways of getting to the ground, but the most straightforward, if not the shortest in distance is to follow the A2 into London from Junction 2 of the M25.

The A2 actually passes the ground. Once you go past New Cross Gate tube station on your right the ground is about a mile further on.

The only awkward bit is about half way in-between New Cross Gate and the ground where the road splits into two. Keep to the right following the signs A2 City/Westminster. You will come to the ground on your right.

Street parking can be found on the small estate on your left just past the ground, otherwise, be wary of on street parking restrictions around the area of the ground so check lamp posts for signage.

There are no sizeable car parks around the ground (typical British Planning!). 

There is also the option of renting a private driveway near the Den via YourParkingSpace.co.uk.

Post Code for SAT NAV: SE16 3LN 

Thanks for all this info. So it's quicker to drive not park and then tube in. Much appreciated.

Shame about Weston. Hope they can come back next year. Steve Cotterill and Brian Tinnion were at the woodspring on Saturday. Did you go?

18 hours ago, phantom said:

I'm guessing you copied and pasted this from somewhere @phantom as this is absolutely not sensible or the shortest route from Bristol @MattWSM (and trust me - I've actually done this route 30 or more times from Bristol as I live in New Cross Gate exactly where the A2 splits less than a mile from the ground, as mentioned in the final sentence above).

The statement in bold about shortest distance would only be true to people living in Kent or approaching the M25 from at worst somewhere parallel with central or East of London, certainly not the West, which is the opposite side of the M25 and so requires a complete loop of London on the M25, then coming all the way back in on the A2 (speed camera central).

The only reason I've done it so much is on a Sunday with no time pressure it doesn't require much thinking, and I hate driving in central London where literally no one can drive properly and you're likely to get wiped out by an Uber. But it adds 55+ miles (nearly 50% more) to the journey from Bristol and if the M25 is jammed as it is during weekdays you'll be stuck.

The only sensible route was as originally suggested, park as far West as possible off the M4 and get on the tube. Probably on a very early suburban Metropolitan line station where there are no parking costs, or if you come in further Hammersmith, then get the tube across London and change for London Bridge, and get the South Bermondsey train from there.

None of this is to say you're not welcome in the fine neighbourhood of SE14, there is plenty of free parking (no restricted parking zones in a number of places here which most of Central London has) and I've seen fans park near the ground, but it barely makes sense on a Saturday, certainly not during the week when arterial roads around New Cross ground to a halt.

The real question is why City are not laying on free coaches to Millwall and Hull, they talk about support and crucial matches but they're one of the few clubs that don't put their hand in their pockets to make it happen, when we know the price of away football is prohibitive for a lot of people. It's pathetic really for a club that goes on about fine margins all the time. ?

1 hour ago, Olé said:

I'm guessing you copied and pasted this from somewhere @phantom as this is absolutely not sensible or the shortest route from Bristol @MattWSM (and trust me - I've actually done this route 30 or more times from Bristol as I live in New Cross Gate exactly where the A2 splits less than a mile from the ground, as mentioned in the final sentence above).

The statement in bold about shortest distance would only be true to people living in Kent or approaching the M25 from at worst somewhere parallel with central or East of London, certainly not the West, which is the opposite side of the M25 and so requires a complete loop of London on the M25, then coming all the way back in on the A2 (speed camera central).

The only reason I've done it so much is on a Sunday with no time pressure it doesn't require much thinking, and I hate driving in central London where literally no one can drive properly and you're likely to get wiped out by an Uber. But it adds 55+ miles (nearly 50% more) to the journey from Bristol and if the M25 is jammed as it is during weekdays you'll be stuck.

The only sensible route was as originally suggested, park as far West as possible off the M4 and get on the tube. Probably on a very early suburban Metropolitan line station where there are no parking costs, or if you come in further Hammersmith, then get the tube across London and change for London Bridge, and get the South Bermondsey train from there.

None of this is to say you're not welcome in the fine neighbourhood of SE14, there is plenty of free parking (no restricted parking zones in a number of places here which most of Central London has) and I've seen fans park near the ground, but it barely makes sense on a Saturday, certainly not during the week when arterial roads around New Cross ground to a halt.

The real question is why City are not laying on free coaches to Millwall and Hull, they talk about support and crucial matches but they're one of the few clubs that don't put their hand in their pockets to make it happen, when we know the price of away football is prohibitive for a lot of people. It's pathetic really for a club that goes on about fine margins all the time. ?

Free coaches. Spot on.

Raisin?

Cost and the real margin that our illustrious benefactor worries about. All very well sending out tweets, FB and Instagram messages.

In a season when we’ve felt we’ve been close to greatness and where the run in has included trips to Sheffield twice, Middlesbrough, Millwall and Hull - and some midweek or BH - those who have made the trips have been rewarded with an away shirt.

Free or reduced coaches would have encouraged more to go. All very well “packing the gate” for home games but something to encourage more to go away would surely have been a great idea.

But hang on. More at BS3 = more pies and Thatchers and revenue through Steve’s very own Cash Cow. Putting on coaches is a cost.

That’ll be why......

Anyway it’s still Hammersmith for me. If the football’s as shit as it was on Monday at least I can get excited looking at they dusty cars in the car park ?

@BigAlToby&Liam, just wanted to be clear about your above post. The ONLY free shirts given out were for those who went to the rearranged game at Boro, no other away support has been recognised in any way, not even a hot drink never mind a pie and a pint voucher. They aren’t ever going to offer free travel if they got people queueing up to pay for it. 

I don’t know how many went to Boro away, so don’t know how many shirts were given out. The coach I think was £42 so that was steep. I would rather them take £20 off of that and encouraged more to go or take a tenner off the Millwall and Hull trips.

It was a nice gesture to give out the shirts, of course it was. But just think about it, the design only had a few weeks left, especially with the badge change, they weren’t going to sell many of the surplus stock. I would think the profit on the coach offset the wholesale price of the shirt, the club didn’t lose money on this but gained great publicity.

That’s business I guess. Shame it was all undone with the Easter Eggs and now it seems more importantly the Disabled toilet facility abuse. 

34 minutes ago, RedM said:

@BigAlToby&Liam, just wanted to be clear about your above post. The ONLY free shirts given out were for those who went to the rearranged game at Boro, no other away support has been recognised in any way, not even a hot drink never mind a pie and a pint voucher. They aren’t ever going to offer free travel if they got people queueing up to pay for it. 

I don’t know how many went to Boro away, so don’t know how many shirts were given out. The coach I think was £42 so that was steep. I would rather them take £20 off of that and encouraged more to go or take a tenner off the Millwall and Hull trips.

It was a nice gesture to give out the shirts, of course it was. But just think about it, the design only had a few weeks left, especially with the badge change, they weren’t going to sell many of the surplus stock. I would think the profit on the coach offset the wholesale price of the shirt, the club didn’t lose money on this but gained great publicity.

That’s business I guess. Shame it was all undone with the Easter Eggs and now it seems more importantly the Disabled toilet facility abuse. 

Spot on. Free shirts at the Riverside was simply an easier way of getting rid of out of date stock. Christ mine even had a bobble ?

And as for a selection of sizes....... I had to have a 2XL ?

There couldn’t have been more than 250 there. At a guess.

And yes it was free. Yes they didn’t need to  do it. And I’m a moaning Anti-Lansdown bastard ?

Yes you're right, the shirts were a nice gesture and well received but using deadstock that incurred no new cost - I doubt it needed to even go up the chain to Mark Ashton for sign off such was the real terms costs involved. Free coach travel on the other hand was raised with MA and JL in the last Q&A and they spun the biggest non-answer ever, other than to show they're not interested.

I do find it extraordinary, with the run in we have, and two tough away games to finish, that still we find a club that is reluctant to maximize the away support possible, in a way some other clubs routinely do several times a season as a matter of course. You can bet other clubs in our position would be pulling out all the stops. Us? Hire those stupid flame machines at AG and that's it.

I'm not one for these ridiculous conspiracy theories about SL not really wanting promotion - it would be a dream for him - but I do seriously wonder how much he wants it. If it was me I'm certain I'd decide that £10k per 1000 extra City fans willing the side on at crucial season defining away games (£500 per coach, 50 people per coach) was money well spent and crucial fine margin stuff.

But no. The club talks a good story on belief and support, but when it comes down to when it matters, avoids doing more or less anything to actually make it happen. Most Ashton Gate initiatives ultimately come down to Section82 organising something. The club only ever chipped in for flags against Man City and scarves against West Ham and those were marketing exercises for TV.

If we're in with a chance for the Millwall and Hull games you wait and see how the club talks it up on the official site and on social media. And then does F all to actually help ensure we have the most favourable, intimidating away support we can have at either ground. (This makes no ends to me, I don't live in Bristol, but I talk to many fans who can't afford to travel as much as they'd like).

How much does the club really want it?

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Yes you're right, the shirts were a nice gesture and well received but using deadstock that incurred no new cost - I doubt it needed to even go up the chain to Mark Ashton for sign off such was the real terms costs involved. Free coach travel on the other hand was raised with MA and JL in the last Q&A and they spun the biggest non-answer ever, other than to show they're not interested.

I do find it extraordinary, with the run in we have, and two tough away games to finish, that still we find a club that is reluctant to maximize the away support possible, in a way some other clubs routinely do several times a season as a matter of course. You can bet other clubs in our position would be pulling out all the stops. Us? Hire those stupid flame machines at AG and that's it.

I'm not one for these ridiculous conspiracy theories about SL not really wanting promotion - it would be a dream for him - but I do seriously wonder how much he wants it. If it was me I'm certain I'd decide that £10k per 1000 extra City fans willing the side on at crucial season defining away games (£500 per coach, 50 people per coach) was money well spent and crucial fine margin stuff.

But no. The club talks a good story on belief and support, but when it comes down to when it matters, avoids doing more or less anything to actually make it happen. Most Ashton Gate initiatives ultimately come down to Section82 organising something. The club only ever chipped in for flags against Man City and scarves against West Ham and those were marketing exercises for TV.

If we're in with a chance for the Millwall and Hull games you wait and see how the club talks it up on the official site and on social media. And then does F all to actually help ensure we have the most favourable, intimidating away support we can have at either ground. (This makes no ends to me, I don't live in Bristol, but I talk to many fans who can't afford to travel as much as they'd like).

Agree, how much do they really want it?

Not as much as other sides is the answer. Following football at away games is serious £s (look at the Sheffield Wednesday away game), so some offer of free travel to Millwall or Hull would have been well received. Don’t think BCFC hierarchy are really interested in the Prem IMO.

9 hours ago, Olé said:

The club are perhaps financially tight on the non-footballing side. Don't go in for them not wanting promotion but agree free coaches would be desirable...how much are CATs anyway? Years since I've been on it.

Free travel would be nice but more than nice, I agree it would be a big big boost in these crucial games.

Still, booking in advance and specific slots can get it done relatively affordably. 3 returns from Bristol Coach station to Vic- £46.20- that's in total, not apiece. Not bad.

4 hours ago, Olé said:

Totally agree @Olé, you get a rarely awarded unicorn from me, in case you didn’t see the emoji discussion thread it’s not an insult but awarded when a ‘like’ doesn’t seem enough.

Regarding the free coaches, I think they could have done it for Millwall, remember it was a rearranged game due to both clubs being in the FA cup. Even if it was free we are limited by the away capacity and the fact it’s a night game, loads won’t be able to make it.

For all London games, and a few others I usually make my own way, usually by coach as train works out so expensive, but this time I’m going by CATS. Thought it would be safer if Millwall got relegated etc, it was perfectly fine when I went last season in the day time, heavily policed at London Bridge but on a night when there is a lot rest8ng on it for both teams might be different.  @Mr PopodopolousI think it’s £23.00 on CATS, which compared to some trips isn’t bad. If I was making my own way though I can usually do it for £5 each way and a few quid on my Oyster card, so I’m probably paying double.

I can’t remember what I paid for Hull on CATS, £26? The early match and it being on a Sunday doesn’t help so it’s not easy or cheap to make my own way. It was always planned to be this time and date though so no way were the club going to subsidise or  put on free travel. Like I said why would they when they have fans wanting to pay. 

It does make me laugh through when our team flys to a match, eg recently to Boro, that their team coach is driven ( presumably empty) to collect them from the airport to take them  hotel and then to the match the next day. It is then used to take them from the match to the airport and then driven (empty?) back to Bristol. No the media or the directors etc don’t use it to travel. I’ve seen this done every time we fly. Crazy? 

• Admin
23 minutes ago, RedM said:

It does make me laugh through when our team flys to a match, eg recently to Boro, that their team coach is driven ( presumably empty) to collect them from the airport to take them  hotel and then to the match the next day. It is then used to take them from the match to the airport and then driven (empty?) back to Bristol. No the media or the directors etc don’t use it to travel. I’ve seen this done every time we fly. Crazy? 

@RedM I am led to believe that the team are travelling to London by train and returning by coach

Last season when I went to Millwall away using CATS there had been an accident in west London so the coaches went around the M25 and then along the A2 to the New Den via Greenwich. It took absolutely ages. We didn’t get to the ground until about 15 mins before kick off and that was without the usual service station stop. It wasn’t helped by the coaches leaving AG quite late due to waiting for passengers running late. Crap journey. If I was going to Millwall again I’d go via National Express or something and then across London on public transport. 

5 hours ago, RedM said:

Totally agree @Olé, you get a rarely awarded unicorn from me, in case you didn’t see the emoji discussion thread it’s not an insult but awarded when a ‘like’ doesn’t seem enough.

Regarding the free coaches, I think they could have done it for Millwall, remember it was a rearranged game due to both clubs being in the FA cup. Even if it was free we are limited by the away capacity and the fact it’s a night game, loads won’t be able to make it.

For all London games, and a few others I usually make my own way, usually by coach as train works out so expensive, but this time I’m going by CATS. Thought it would be safer if Millwall got relegated etc, it was perfectly fine when I went last season in the day time, heavily policed at London Bridge but on a night when there is a lot rest8ng on it for both teams might be different.  @Mr PopodopolousI think it’s £23.00 on CATS, which compared to some trips isn’t bad. If I was making my own way though I can usually do it for £5 each way and a few quid on my Oyster card, so I’m probably paying double.

I can’t remember what I paid for Hull on CATS, £26? The early match and it being on a Sunday doesn’t help so it’s not easy or cheap to make my own way. It was always planned to be this time and date though so no way were the club going to subsidise or  put on free travel. Like I said why would they when they have fans wanting to pay. 

If you can get a refund on your CATS you can join me for a tenner. And I’ll show you me purple shirt ?

You know the one. The one I got for driving all the way to Middlesbrough. On my own. For a midweek game.

To answer the wider question that @Olé has posed. The club want it. Lansdown doesn’t. ? ?????

1 hour ago, Offside said:

Last season when I went to Millwall away using CATS there had been an accident in west London so the coaches went around the M25 and then along the A2 to the New Den via Greenwich. It took absolutely ages. We didn’t get to the ground until about 15 mins before kick off and that was without the usual service station stop. It wasn’t helped by the coaches leaving AG quite late due to waiting for passengers running late. Crap journey. If I was going to Millwall again I’d go via National Express or something and then across London on public transport. 

I remember being in the ground and wondering where everyone was then saw the coaches arrive. Think it was about 5 mins before KO I saw some people I know.

Well it beats the time a few years before when my CATS coach failed to meet the police escort, got lost and then found by the police who wouldn’t let it proceed until it had a police escort which took ages to arrange. We arrived just before the second half. 

16 hours ago, Olé said:

For the Hull game, if we’re still in with a shout - and given the effort and expense needed (it’s basically impossible to get to there on public transport without an overnight stay) - I totally agree with this. A free ride would swing it for a lot of fans. 

Was at Sheff Wed and thought it was a bit flat given where we are in the table. The two goals didn’t help of course - but nowhere like the noise you get for a big well-attended away day. Club could and should really step up here. 

24 minutes ago, RedM said:

Well it beats the time a few years before when my CATS coach failed to meet the police escort, got lost and then found by the police who wouldn’t let it proceed until it had a police escort which took ages to arrange. We arrived just before the second half. 

That is bad. I have had some frustrating journeys on CATS but haven’t been unlucky enough to miss out on any of a game. 

I do remember one trip to Walsall when the driver went southbound on the M5 after leaving Bristol but luckily he realised his error (or was told) and turned around at the next junction. 

10 hours ago, RedM said:

I remember being in the ground and wondering where everyone was then saw the coaches arrive. Think it was about 5 mins before KO I saw some people I know.

Up there with Charlton, where us coach 3 lot broke down in Slough (out of any place in the world to break down...) 

Finally got going again and got in after about 25 minutes, only to have missed our only goal by about 3 minutes... 

18 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Up there with Charlton, where us coach 3 lot broke down in Slough (out of any place in the world to break down...) 

Finally got going again and got in after about 25 minutes, only to have missed our only goal by about 3 minutes... 

I was on that coach too. What a day, we practically hi jacked another random coach at the services, if it wasn’t for the driver taking pity on us we would never have made any of the game ( missed the Tomlin pen, was a few streets away on foot and heard the cheers). 

I was on the coach that arrived late for Leyton Orient quite a few years ago, driver saw floodlights and headed towards them only to be a few streets away from Highbury! I’ve also been on the football special train stuck just outside Plymouth station when the police wouldn’t let us off, and on the CATS coach that was turned back to Bristol just minutes away from the ground ( again Plymouth) when the game was postponed due to weather. I’m sure there are many other ‘experiences’ too.

No, I’m not a jinx ?I’m yet to see us lose away this year ( obviously I haven’t been to all games), but I’ve seen all wins and two draws and only one goal conceded...and yes I’m going to Millwall and Hull! 

Wednesday away on a night match back in about 1990 the CATS coach initially had to stop before we left Bristol because someone had thrown up. We got going again and then had a puncture up by Tewkesbury and had to wait an age for a replacement coach. We got there just before HT and were already 2(?) down (we heard the roar for their second goal as we parked up). We lost 3-1 with The Chief getting ours. I think it was the night they either clinched promotion or won the title and had a bloody good side - Trevor Francis, David Hirst etc.

12 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Speaking of Slough.

Went to Manor Farms cup game there. On the way back mentioned to someone how me travelling somewhere always results in something going wrong, less than 15 minutes later we came off the motorway early because there was a bull on the motorway further up, then as we're going along Muller Road stopped at lights and the coach breaks down.

11 hours ago, RedM said:

No, I’m not a jinx ?I’m yet to see us lose away this year ( obviously I haven’t been to all games), but I’ve seen all wins and two draws and only one goal conceded...and yes I’m going to Millwall and Hull! 

I'm not sure I've seen us win a league game this season. Memory is fuzzy on what games I have seen.

Only seen 1 clean sheet though pretty sure of that.

Hopefully your luck overrides my bad luck as I'm also going to Millwall!

50 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Wednesday away on a night match back in about 1990 the CATS coach initially had to stop before we left Bristol because someone had thrown up. We got going again and then had a puncture up by Tewkesbury and had to wait an age for a replacement coach. We got there just before HT and were already 2(?) down (we heard the roar for their second goal as we parked up). We lost 3-1 with The Chief getting ours. I think it was the night they either clinched promotion or won the title and had a bloody good side - Trevor Francis, David Hirst etc.

Don't think it was 1990, but I do remember being on CATS and arriving very late to Sheffield Wednesday. Also remember in 1989 arriving at Leyton Orient when it was nearly half time. To be fair to CATS I have used them probably a 100+ times and that is the only times I have ever arrived late for kick off.

On 23/04/2019 at 22:42, MattWSM said:

Thanks for all this info. So it's quicker to drive not park and then tube in. Much appreciated.

Shame about Weston. Hope they can come back next year. Steve Cotterill and Brian Tinnion were at the woodspring on Saturday. Did you go?

The best way in and more importantly out of Millwall is to get the train from London Bridge to South Bermondsy, I've driven there before, at the end of the game 95per cent of City fans leave by that route or on coaches the rest get to walk out in to the waiting Millwall crew, typically drinking from a can of cider and with a gurt big neon sign on their head saying im from Bristol. Can be interesting. 

51 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm not sure I've seen us win a league game this season. Memory is fuzzy on what games I have seen.

Only seen 1 clean sheet though pretty sure of that.

Hopefully your luck overrides my bad luck as I'm also going to Millwall!

I got a horrible feeling as my luck and your misfortune won’t matter as we will stuff up on Saturday. Ah well it’s an evening out I guess!

Archived