IGNORED

Millwall Travel

MattWSM

29 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Don't think it was 1990, but I do remember being on CATS and arriving very late to Sheffield Wednesday. Also remember in 1989 arriving at Leyton Orient when it was nearly half time. To be fair to CATS I have used them probably a 100+ times and that is the only times I have ever arrived late for kick off.

I was a year out - it was 8th May 1991

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Speaking of Slough.

Went to Manor Farms cup game there. On the way back mentioned to someone how me travelling somewhere always results in something going wrong, less than 15 minutes later we came off the motorway early because there was a bull on the motorway further up, then as we're going along Muller Road stopped at lights and the coach breaks down.

I was on that coach, was an interesting journey back with Tony banging his drum in the back of the car...

4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I was on that coach, was an interesting journey back with Tony banging his drum in the back of the car...

It got worse for me after that, had a few too many in the clubhouse after we eventually got there, missed the train I planned on getting.

Had another couple of drinks while waiting for the last train, which didn't turn up.

Ended up getting a lift into the centre off of Metter's Dad.

On 24/04/2019 at 04:02, Olé said:

I'm guessing you copied and pasted this from somewhere @phantom as this is absolutely not sensible or the shortest route from Bristol @MattWSM (and trust me - I've actually done this route 30 or more times from Bristol as I live in New Cross Gate exactly where the A2 splits less than a mile from the ground, as mentioned in the final sentence above).

The statement in bold about shortest distance would only be true to people living in Kent or approaching the M25 from at worst somewhere parallel with central or East of London, certainly not the West, which is the opposite side of the M25 and so requires a complete loop of London on the M25, then coming all the way back in on the A2 (speed camera central).

The only reason I've done it so much is on a Sunday with no time pressure it doesn't require much thinking, and I hate driving in central London where literally no one can drive properly and you're likely to get wiped out by an Uber. But it adds 55+ miles (nearly 50% more) to the journey from Bristol and if the M25 is jammed as it is during weekdays you'll be stuck.

The only sensible route was as originally suggested, park as far West as possible off the M4 and get on the tube. Probably on a very early suburban Metropolitan line station where there are no parking costs, or if you come in further Hammersmith, then get the tube across London and change for London Bridge, and get the South Bermondsey train from there.

None of this is to say you're not welcome in the fine neighbourhood of SE14, there is plenty of free parking (no restricted parking zones in a number of places here which most of Central London has) and I've seen fans park near the ground, but it barely makes sense on a Saturday, certainly not during the week when arterial roads around New Cross ground to a halt.

The real question is why City are not laying on free coaches to Millwall and Hull, they talk about support and crucial matches but they're one of the few clubs that don't put their hand in their pockets to make it happen, when we know the price of away football is prohibitive for a lot of people. It's pathetic really for a club that goes on about fine margins all the time. ?

Even Worthing put on free coaches (ok maybe a coach) to Corinthian Casuals at the weekend.  Sadly I couldn’t make it but a nice gesture after 1322 attendance on Good Friday at home.

2 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

The best way in and more importantly out of Millwall is to get the train from London Bridge to South Bermondsy, I've driven there before, at the end of the game 95per cent of City fans leave by that route or on coaches the rest get to walk out in to the waiting Millwall crew, typically drinking from a can of cider and with a gurt big neon sign on their head saying im from Bristol. Can be interesting. 

Thanks for info 

With the possibility that we could of relegated Millwall in our fixture I’m not sure I would want to be on a CAT’s coach to be honest. The damage that they would not doubt cause if it would of happened! Hull yes they possibly could of arranged something but too late for it to happen now. Perhaps they are waiting for the Play Off away leg? :whistle:

27 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

With the possibility that we could of relegated Millwall in our fixture I’m not sure I would want to be on a CAT’s coach to be honest. The damage that they would not doubt cause if it would of happened! Hull yes they possibly could of arranged something but too late for it to happen now. Perhaps they are waiting for the Play Off away leg? :whistle:

That 0% possibility will really add tension.

All these tales of travel woe have reminded me of an adventurous trip to Crystal Palace with @The turtle a few years back (he'll confirm the exact game I'm sure).

We were merrily driving along the M4 to the game when a rainstorm hit. It was at this point that the windscreen wipers decided to stop working. We pulled over the the hard shoulder but couldn't fix the problem. Therefore we had to drive to the next junction with our heads poking out the side windows, Ace Venture style, to see where we were going. We left the car at the first petrol station we came to, called a taxi to take us to the nearest train station, and then onwards to the game. 

Our adventures were not over after the game either. We managed to get a lift home with a couple of friends. The only problem was that the one who was driving had only passed his driving test the day before, and was therefore the most nervous driver I've ever had the misfortune of being in a car with. What followed was over two hours of abrupt braking, swerving across the road, and the general feeling that we were about to die at any point.

Ah, I love away days :laugh:

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

All these tales of travel woe have reminded me of an adventurous trip to Crystal Palace with @The turtle a few years back (he'll confirm the exact game I'm sure).

We were merrily driving along the M4 to the game when a rainstorm hit. It was at this point that the windscreen wipers decided to stop working. We pulled over the the hard shoulder but couldn't fix the problem. Therefore we had to drive to the next junction with our heads poking out the side windows, Ace Venture style, to see where we were going. We left the car at the first petrol station we came to, called a taxi to take us to the nearest train station, and then onwards to the game. 

Our adventures were not over after the game either. We managed to get a lift home with a couple of friends. The only problem was that the one who was driving had only passed his driving test the day before, and was therefore the most nervous driver I've ever had the misfortune of being in a car with. What followed was over two hours of abrupt braking, swerving across the road, and the general feeling that we were about to die at any point.

Ah, I love away days :laugh:

It was this game!

I'm surprised the first goal was in the 6th minute as we missed that goal, it was scored as we were going through the turnstiles.

What a day, near death on the way there (the wipers stopped as passing a lorry), only to be somehow closer to death on the way back! (Not often you share a lane with another car doing 70mph and the driver doesn't know he's there)

Screenshot_20190426-115059_Chrome.jpg

@GasDestroyer @Olé

Thinking about it, I do agree on the free coaches.

Googled Bolton to see if their results maybe annulled if they miss the last 2 and found this in the process.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/evangelos-marinakis-pay-coach-travel-2803920

SL should have strongly considered this for Millwall- a game like that! Hell, Nottingham Forest don't even have anything to play for!

Again, I don't go in for the theories that he doesn't want promotion, but it would have been a statement of intent and a great gesture more importantly. Actually both pretty important intent and gesture.

Online booking for CATS to Millwall is showing as "Sold Out".

Can't belive that is the case when there are over 900 tickets still available.

Can anyone confirm this or am I not accessing it correctly?

I will ring the ticket office in the morning.

:dunno:

1 hour ago, Redtucks said:

Online booking for CATS to Millwall is showing as "Sold Out".

Can't belive that is the case when there are over 900 tickets still available.

Can anyone confirm this or am I not accessing it correctly?

I will ring the ticket office in the morning.

:dunno:

Mate, I had the same issue 2 weeks ago...the site was saying coaches "sold out" just a couple of days after the Millwall tickets went on sale. I phoned up and they sorted it... Hope you make it?

I live just up the slope from Ole and the short answer is have your active travel alerts on. Despite the additional miles the quickest route to SE London from Bristol is M4 via Bracknell, M3 & M25. I left Hotwells at 5:30 yesterday and was indoors by 7:50. Early evening that way you'll also be going against the commuter traffic, but as Ole says it only takes one accident on the M25 to screw things up. NB for the last umpteen weeks the M4 between junctions 12-14 has been variously closed overnight Tuesdays. Not sure for how long but Jnct 13 itself was shut yesterday Westbound (though barely a sign letting drivers know. All traffic having to exit and re-enter the M4.)

42 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I live just up the slope from Ole and the short answer is have your active travel alerts on. Despite the additional miles the quickest route to SE London from Bristol is M4 via Bracknell, M3 & M25. I left Hotwells at 5:30 yesterday and was indoors by 7:50. Early evening that way you'll also be going against the commuter traffic, but as Ole says it only takes one accident on the M25 to screw things up. NB for the last umpteen weeks the M4 between junctions 12-14 has been variously closed overnight Tuesdays. Not sure for how long but Jnct 13 itself was shut yesterday Westbound (though barely a sign letting drivers know. All traffic having to exit and re-enter the M4.)

So train is the best option but twice the cost

11 minutes ago, MattWSM said:

Shame given we still have a chance of taking it to the last day

Win at Millwall and Derby draw at Swansea then anything can happen on the last day. 

Wishful thinking but you have a fair point as Derby are certainly beatable IMO v teams with pace, which Swansea have up front.

1 minute ago, GasDestroyer said:

Wishful thinking but you have a fair point as Derby are certainly beatable IMO v teams with pace, which Swansea have up front.

West Brom will still be going for the win on Sunday as they will still try to finish 3rd and miss Villa in the playoffs. Certainly a chance Derby won't win either game. However I don't think we will beat Millwall.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

West Brom will still be going for the win on Sunday as they will still try to finish 3rd and miss Villa in the playoffs. Certainly a chance Derby won't win either game. However I don't think we will beat Millwall.

Play as we did on Saturday and we have every chance

1 hour ago, Super said:

And let’s not forget Boro travel to already relegated Rotherham.

Archived